Subject: "How about edge to reroll familiar?" Previous topic | Next topic
Printer-friendly copy Email this topic to a friend CF Website
Top General Discussions Gameplay Topic #27303
Show all folders

AdrigonMon 26-Oct-09 09:22 AM
Member since 04th Mar 2003
158 posts
Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author Click to view this author's profile Click to add this author to your buddy list
#27303, "How about edge to reroll familiar?"

How about an edge to reroll your familiar similar to roll of bones for shapeshifters?

Alert | IP Printer Friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Reply RE: How about edge to reroll familiar?, Daevryn, 26-Oct-09 06:40 PM, #2
Reply *fistshake* nt, Adekar, 26-Oct-09 06:47 PM, #4
Reply RE: How about edge to reroll familiar?, _Magus_, 26-Oct-09 11:00 PM, #5
Reply You only invest 17 levels. If you don't like it....dele..., Abernyte, 26-Oct-09 05:54 PM, #1
     Reply We've talked about it, Adekar, 26-Oct-09 06:45 PM, #3
          Reply Rerolling... ug, Not An Imm, 27-Oct-09 05:01 PM, #6
               Reply Just a thought, _Magus_, 27-Oct-09 05:32 PM, #7
                    Reply RE: Just a thought, Not An Imm, 27-Oct-09 05:59 PM, #8
                         Reply RE: Just a thought, orlando, 27-Oct-09 10:30 PM, #9

DaevrynMon 26-Oct-09 06:40 PM
Member since 13th Feb 2007
11117 posts
Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author Click to view this author's profile Click to add this author to your buddy list
#27316, "RE: How about edge to reroll familiar?"
In response to Reply #0

Without saying "Never":

1) Currently, I don't keep track of how much you've used your familiar, and I'm not interested in doing something like this without the roll-the-bones-like restriction of 'You need to swap this as soon as you see what you've got, without getting to use it a while first.'

2) Probably at level 17 you can't pick / can't afford the edge for it, so I assume 99% of the people who didn't like their familiar would still just reroll.

AdekarMon 26-Oct-09 06:47 PM
Member since 01st Jul 2009
102 posts
#27318, "*fistshake* nt"
In response to Reply #2

Damn you for replying at the same time as me.

_Magus_Mon 26-Oct-09 11:00 PM
Member since 05th Dec 2006
430 posts
#27320, "RE: How about edge to reroll familiar?"
In response to Reply #2

Why not have the edge be directly correlated to having a certain amount of imm-xp? Like 1000 or 1500. Means the person has a basic-to-decent role.

Then make the person sweat it out a little. Don't offer the edge until level 20 or 25.

AbernyteMon 26-Oct-09 05:54 PM
973 posts
#27314, "You only invest 17 levels. If you don't like it....dele..."
In response to Reply #0

it is not as bad as 42+ levels invested.

-----Abernyte

AdekarMon 26-Oct-09 06:45 PM
Member since 01st Jul 2009
102 posts
#27317, "We've talked about it"
In response to Reply #1

When we talked about it, people seemed kinda split on whether to make an edge like this available for RP reasons, so the edge wasn't included (or written) when we were adding/upgrading familiars.

It might be included at a later date, but it would probably be fairly expensive. If you know there is a familiar you don't want at all, Abernyte is right that deleting and starting over again is probably the best move from a powergaming viewpoint.

If you want to talk about a specific familiar, feel free to email me at adekar.thoreksar@gmail.com and I can respond or forward issues to staff members that code familiars.

Not An ImmTue 27-Oct-09 05:01 PM
141 posts
#27321, "Rerolling... ug"
In response to Reply #3

I have frustrating memories of one particular conjurer that wanted an owl, but got the Faerie Dragon 3 times, rerolling twice in the process.

After the third faerie dragon, I gave up on caring about my familiar and found he was actually marginally useful in certain situations. He didn't meet the role I made up or play style I had decided for this character, however, so I always felt crippled compared to other conjurers. I adapted, and survived with around 200 hours on this char, but I would never do another conjurer again because of it.

For some things, randomness works well... shifters for instance, since they are decently balanced. For something as crucial as a major class power (familiars), I'd like to see less randomness, or atleast some parity among what the familiars can do.

_Magus_Tue 27-Oct-09 05:32 PM
Member since 05th Dec 2006
430 posts
#27322, "Just a thought"
In response to Reply #6

But when was this?

And were you re-rolling with the same character name? Because there was a point in time when the familiar you received corresponded to your name. If you kept using the same name after deleting, then it would make sense to have gotten the same familiar multiple times.

Of course, if it was more recent, then that wouldn't happen. The system on familiar's changed.

Not An ImmTue 27-Oct-09 05:59 PM
141 posts
#27323, "RE: Just a thought"
In response to Reply #7

It was about 6 years ago, so not terribly recent. I wasn't aware of the name association at the time, so used the same name each reroll. I vaguely recall the original familiar helpfiles implying the location you first call a familiar from was a factor. Maybe I am remembering that wrong.

orlandoTue 27-Oct-09 10:30 PM
Member since 06th Jun 2009
7 posts
#27326, "RE: Just a thought"
In response to Reply #8

Haha, yeah, it was your name. That's kind of funny in a way.

Top General Discussions Gameplay Topic #27303 Previous topic | Next topic