Subject: "Undead will now suffer from age death" Previous topic | Next topic
Printer-friendly copy Email this topic to a friend CF Website
Top General Discussions Gameplay Topic #27205
Show all folders

ZulghinlourThu 15-Oct-09 10:08 PM
Member since 04th Mar 2003
9792 posts
Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author Click to view this author's profile Click to add this author to your buddy list
#27205, "Undead will now suffer from age death"

I've made changes so that even the undead will eventually die from old age (though in a slightly different manner than everyone else).

A typical character will age die somewhere around 500-600 hours. Undead will live longer than that after their becoming.

The existing undead we have had their age death reset from the point of the implementation of this change instead of the point of their becoming.

So long, and thanks for all the fish!

Alert | IP Printer Friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Reply Curiosity regarding the lifespan., Straklaw, 18-Oct-09 05:15 PM, #16
Reply RE: Curiosity regarding the lifespan., Xanthrailles, 18-Oct-09 06:02 PM, #17
Reply My silly question, dalneko, 18-Oct-09 01:23 PM, #12
Reply RE: My silly question, _Magus_, 18-Oct-09 01:50 PM, #13
Reply RE: My silly question, Zulghinlour, 18-Oct-09 03:54 PM, #14
Reply so are they treated like normal by affects and eq that ..., laxman, 17-Oct-09 06:53 AM, #8
Reply Unaffected (n/t), Zulghinlour, 17-Oct-09 10:12 AM, #9
     Reply what about wither? ~, Abernyte, 18-Oct-09 05:55 AM, #10
          Reply RE: what about wither? ~, Isildur, 18-Oct-09 09:13 AM, #11
          Reply Still unaffected (n/t), Zulghinlour, 18-Oct-09 03:54 PM, #15
Reply Finally(small addition), Ahtieli, 16-Oct-09 06:19 AM, #6
Reply RE: Finally(small addition), Cerunnir, 16-Oct-09 10:03 AM, #7
Reply Okay. You win., Iza, 15-Oct-09 11:15 PM, #4
Reply RE: Undead will now suffer from age death, Isildur, 15-Oct-09 10:51 PM, #2
Reply RE: Undead will now suffer from age death, Zulghinlour, 15-Oct-09 11:06 PM, #3
Reply Clap clap, Dwoggurd, 15-Oct-09 10:13 PM, #1
     Reply Don't think he's 40., TMNS, 16-Oct-09 02:55 AM, #5

StraklawSun 18-Oct-09 05:15 PM
Member since 10th Mar 2003
1014 posts
Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author Click to view this author's profile Click to add this author to your buddy list Click to send message via AOL IM
#27228, "Curiosity regarding the lifespan."
In response to Reply #0

Not that it's a very broad spectrum of characters involved, and even less that might be involved in this idea, but...

Would there be any consideration to possibility of undead having a way to extend their lifespan after Becoming? I would expect this would have to be at an expense to power (be it sheer power loss, or a choice). In the case of liches, it seems as though it could be theoretically incorporated into something along the lines of the Ritual of Abominations. You'd lose your shot at a phylactery, which is a lot of the lich's power. Mummies...well, that I'm not really sure what might work offhand

Anyways, it's mostly a thought that if the undead is cool enough that either through direct Immortal intervention, or quest power, they could gain some means with which they could fight for extended life. I would expect it to be a losing battle no matter what, but it does seem as though it could be kinda cool to watch some great lich as the magic of the Becoming has begun to fail, and maybe tries to reinforce that spell's power to extend the unlife.

XanthraillesSun 18-Oct-09 06:02 PM
391 posts
Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author Click to view this author's profile Click to add this author to your buddy list Click to send message via AOL IM Click to send message via ICQ
#27229, "RE: Curiosity regarding the lifespan."
In response to Reply #16

Maybe make the ritual of cannabalia an expensive edge choice for liches and mummies?

dalnekoSun 18-Oct-09 01:23 PM
Member since 28th Feb 2006
268 posts
Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author Click to view this author's profile Click to add this author to your buddy list
#27221, "My silly question"
In response to Reply #0

Now that Undead can age die, what's the allure of a necromancer going for lich/mummy, at least from a RP perspective? As I understand it before the whole deal of Becoming was the necromancer cheating death to 'live' forever.

It's a silly question because I've never played a necromancer past 20 and don't get the whole gist of it.

_Magus_Sun 18-Oct-09 01:50 PM
Member since 05th Dec 2006
430 posts
#27222, "RE: My silly question"
In response to Reply #12

I've never played a Lich. So take this with a grain of salt.

There are a lot of benefits other than the age-death thing that make a Lich very appealing.

ZulghinlourSun 18-Oct-09 03:54 PM
9792 posts
#27224, "RE: My silly question"
In response to Reply #12

>Now that Undead can age die, what's the allure of a
>necromancer going for lich/mummy, at least from a RP
>perspective?

Power (liches & mummies are more powerful than a level 47 human necro), and a much longer lived character.

>As I understand it before the whole deal of
>Becoming was the necromancer cheating death to 'live'
>forever.

And yet, it's not until the current batch of undead, that we ever had anyone stick it out this long. They would either con-die or delete.

laxmanSat 17-Oct-09 06:53 AM
Member since 18th Aug 2003
1867 posts
Click to send private message to this author Click to add this author to your buddy list Click to send message via AOL IM
#27214, "so are they treated like normal by affects and eq that ..."
In response to Reply #0

ie is that sword of zurcon going to put them down.

ZulghinlourSat 17-Oct-09 10:12 AM
9792 posts
#27215, "Unaffected (n/t)"
In response to Reply #8

n/t

AbernyteSun 18-Oct-09 05:55 AM
973 posts
#27216, "what about wither? ~"
In response to Reply #9

~

IsildurSun 18-Oct-09 09:13 AM
5969 posts
#27218, "RE: what about wither? ~"
In response to Reply #10

I'd imagine an undead would be pretty well withered already.

ZulghinlourSun 18-Oct-09 03:54 PM
9792 posts
#27225, "Still unaffected (n/t)"
In response to Reply #10

n/t

AhtieliFri 16-Oct-09 06:09 AM
Member since 12th Oct 2008
76 posts
#27211, "Finally(small addition)"
In response to Reply #0
Edited on Fri 16-Oct-09 06:19 AM

you figured out that it's the only way to get rid of undeads who disbalance cf.

Perhaps it's just better to balance that class or remove it and just allow necro to be 51 level. Because ~1000 hours is ####ing a lot especialy when player knows that his undead will ade die

CerunnirFri 16-Oct-09 10:03 AM
Member since 21st Oct 2003
294 posts
Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author Click to view this author's profile Click to add this author to your buddy list Click to send message via AOL IM
#27212, "RE: Finally(small addition)"
In response to Reply #6

I had a discussion about this, and something I will call max power level came up. The issue with a lich is mainly that their max power level, when buffed up by ABS, good gear, phylacteries etc. is far higher than a "normal character". The wand debate comes into this aswell, for "normal classes". I would say that the game is balanced around a mage haveing aura and shield stable, with barrier as a super power option. I think this is the main issue that people have when they dont have stable access to barrier. They see other characters with similar builds as themselves wade thought enemies because of their damage reduction, while their own max power level is severly hampered.

IzaThu 15-Oct-09 11:15 PM
Member since 28th Apr 2008
54 posts
Click to send private message to this author Click to add this author to your buddy list
#27209, "Okay. You win."
In response to Reply #0

I'll shut up about wands now, on these forums and on dios. I'll probably even feel really guilty when posting my de-clienting idea that i'm saving for Santa Zulgs too.

Its just that the idea that in a year or two from now i won't have to solo retrieve from Ahteli(and friends) makes me so so happy.

You win sir, you win.

IsildurThu 15-Oct-09 10:51 PM
5969 posts
#27207, "RE: Undead will now suffer from age death"
In response to Reply #0

Does that mean you get the normal 500-600 hour lifespan *after* the becoming? So if you "became" at 400 hours, ignoring leader con you'd live to be 900-1000 hours hold?

ZulghinlourThu 15-Oct-09 11:06 PM
9792 posts
#27208, "RE: Undead will now suffer from age death"
In response to Reply #2

>Does that mean you get the normal 500-600 hour lifespan
>*after* the becoming? So if you "became" at 400 hours,
>ignoring leader con you'd live to be 900-1000 hours hold?

It's a bit longer than a normal lifespan, but yes, that's basically what happens.

DwoggurdThu 15-Oct-09 10:13 PM
Member since 20th Jan 2004
668 posts
Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author Click to add this author to your buddy list
#27206, "Clap clap"
In response to Reply #0

You're a man.

TMNSFri 16-Oct-09 02:55 AM
Member since 10th Jun 2009
2670 posts
#27210, "Don't think he's 40."
In response to Reply #1

And coming after him would involve a pincer, so...

Sorry, watching Mike Gundy is still funny to this day.

Top General Discussions Gameplay Topic #27205 Previous topic | Next topic