Subject: "Mark of the Prey" Previous topic | Next topic
Printer-friendly copy Email this topic to a friend CF Website
Top General Discussions Gameplay Topic #26528
Show all folders

AceBushidoSun 23-Aug-09 04:21 PM
Member since 23rd May 2009
34 posts
Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author Click to view this author's profile Click to add this author to your buddy list
#26528, "Mark of the Prey"

Please GOD make Mark of the Prey last through quit outs just like stalk does? I don't know how much coding it would take but I think it's #### when you have someone marked (especially a ranger) and then they log out and log back on now they're able to ambush you. Sucks.

Alert | IP Printer Friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Reply Quitting out is lame, BUT, Quixotic, 23-Aug-09 07:24 PM, #6
Reply So? You think cheating is a valid answer to a poor matc..., Java, 23-Aug-09 07:52 PM, #7
Reply I think we had this discussion before, and me and Java ..., AceBushido, 23-Aug-09 08:04 PM, #8
     Reply Let me speak plainly., Quixotic, 23-Aug-09 09:24 PM, #11
          Reply I think YOU'RE not thinking, AceBushido, 23-Aug-09 09:44 PM, #13
          Reply RE: I think YOU'RE not thinking, Daevryn, 24-Aug-09 12:39 AM, #15
          Reply What I am saying, Quixotic, 24-Aug-09 07:09 AM, #17
               Reply RE: What I am saying, Isildur, 24-Aug-09 08:33 AM, #19
               Reply RE: What I am saying, Valkenar, 24-Aug-09 08:36 AM, #20
                    Reply RE: What I am saying, Isildur, 24-Aug-09 10:58 AM, #21
          Reply RE: Let me speak plainly., Isildur, 23-Aug-09 10:22 PM, #14
Reply Another solution, incognito, 23-Aug-09 05:09 PM, #2
Reply RE: Mark of the Prey, Daevryn, 23-Aug-09 05:07 PM, #1
     Reply How would that work, out of curiosity?, AceBushido, 23-Aug-09 05:27 PM, #3
     Reply Another alternative, incognito, 23-Aug-09 06:14 PM, #4
          Reply RE: Another alternative, Isildur, 23-Aug-09 06:49 PM, #5
          Reply RE: Another alternative, thendrell, 23-Aug-09 08:52 PM, #9
               Reply wtf are you talking about?, AceBushido, 23-Aug-09 09:17 PM, #10
               Reply RE: Another alternative, Isildur, 23-Aug-09 09:35 PM, #12
                    Reply My experience with every assassin, incognito, 24-Aug-09 02:15 AM, #16
          Reply RE: Another alternative, Jugynheim, 24-Aug-09 07:21 AM, #18
               Reply It's an assassin?!, incognito, 25-Aug-09 01:41 AM, #22

QuixoticSun 23-Aug-09 07:24 PM
Member since 09th Feb 2006
830 posts
Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author Click to add this author to your buddy list
#26534, "Quitting out is lame, BUT"
In response to Reply #0

unless you are a bearcharge build, ambush is the premier move a ranger has against an assassin. Their other options allow the assassin to maladict them clear to the Bahamas and back.

Assassins own rangers on the road. Don't allow assassins to own rangers in the wild, too.

JavaSun 23-Aug-09 07:52 PM
Member since 07th Apr 2003
1055 posts
Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author Click to view this author's profile Click to add this author to your buddy list Click to send message via AOL IM
#26536, "So? You think cheating is a valid answer to a poor matc..."
In response to Reply #6

Using OOC mechanisms (in this case, quitting out) to gain an IC advantage is illegal, as per the rules.

Quitting to lose a mark is cheating, plainly put.

AceBushidoSun 23-Aug-09 08:04 PM
34 posts
Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author Click to view this author's profile Click to add this author to your buddy list
#26537, "I think we had this discussion before, and me and Java ..."
In response to Reply #6

That what you're doing is CHEATING.

But we're not going to go into that. Look at it this way.

Since you want to say "oh I logged out to take a piss if my mark goes away too then all the more better" that's EXACTLY why I proposed for marks to STAY after a log out. It just doesn't make sense that someone logs out and then "oh well hey they're not marked for death any more". That's just bull.

QuixoticSun 23-Aug-09 09:24 PM
830 posts
Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author Click to add this author to your buddy list
#26541, "Let me speak plainly."
In response to Reply #8

A means of always seeing your opponent and tracking his location for the length of a login is quite, quite powerful. It effectively cripples rangers, who cannot even use the dirt/flee/ambush trick useful against other rangers.

And you propose to make the mark permanent. I think you are not thinking clearly or fairly.

AceBushidoSun 23-Aug-09 09:44 PM
34 posts
#26543, "I think YOU'RE not thinking"
In response to Reply #11

You propose that logging out is okay because of "how powerful" the skill is? What the ####? I mean seriously.. think about that. You act like you can mark EVERYBODY. You can only mark one person at a time. You can't stalk your mark. Why would I be actively within the world and stop wanting to kill someone just because they log out? No. That's not fair for me, who took the time to SNEAK UP ON SOMEONE I NORMALLY CAN'T SEE and MARK them. If you get marked as a ranger that's YOUR fault. You're doing something you shouldn't be doing. The answer isn't log out. The answer is deal with the ONE assassin in the WHOLE WORLD who was smart enough to get close enough to mark you. I mean seriously you're not even making sense. It's annoying.

DaevrynMon 24-Aug-09 12:39 AM
Member since 13th Feb 2007
11117 posts
#26545, "RE: I think YOU'RE not thinking"
In response to Reply #13

>If you get marked as a ranger that's YOUR
>fault. You're doing something you shouldn't be doing.

Or, they attacked you and you marked them and got away without dying.

Or, they attacked you and you marked them and beat them down.

Or, they tried to get their item back from your cabal instead of logging off.

I don't advocate cheating, but saying that a ranger has to do something stupid to get marked is dumb. It may be true for a bearcharge build that can kill you without you ever seeing a command, but that's not every ranger.

QuixoticMon 24-Aug-09 07:09 AM
830 posts
#26549, "What I am saying"
In response to Reply #13

is that the way mark is currently coded, it encourages people to log off . There is nothing more demoralizing than knowing that someone you can't see will know where you are and can attack you at will. So much for leveling.

Hell, esteemed and notable people logged off when my STSF warrior got charges on them, and STSF doesn't even last 30 minutes. The way to encourage appropriate behavior against mark of the prey is to give it a timer.

IsildurMon 24-Aug-09 08:33 AM
Member since 04th Mar 2003
5969 posts
#26551, "RE: What I am saying"
In response to Reply #17

If you're planning to go rank then a decent assassin is going to find you anyway, mark or no mark.

ValkenarMon 24-Aug-09 08:36 AM
1203 posts
#26552, "RE: What I am saying"
In response to Reply #17

>There is nothing more demoralizing than knowing
>that someone you can't see will know where you are and can
>attack you at will. So much for leveling.

Dude, if you're leveling you're stepping out all the time anyway. Also, the threat of assassins is just not that big a deal. They can't permalag and if you're marked they can't assassinate you. You're still faster than them, so just run the hell away if you really think it's that horrible a fight.

IsildurMon 24-Aug-09 10:58 AM
5969 posts
#26553, "RE: What I am saying"
In response to Reply #20

The main mitigating factor for me is that if a ranger sticks to wilderness areas then most of the time he'll be able to see the assassin.

On the other hand, if I'm the assassin and ranger decides to rank somewhere with plains...then I go there, unmark him, and start stalking. Or possibly wait until he gets sufficiently wounded and try to jump him, but only if he doesn't have wilderness fam yet.

IsildurSun 23-Aug-09 10:22 PM
5969 posts
#26544, "RE: Let me speak plainly."
In response to Reply #11

Some rangers. Others can just bearcharge the guy into dust.

Or sit there with 2 buddies who the assassin can't see.

incognitoSun 23-Aug-09 05:09 PM
4495 posts
Click to add this author to your buddy list
#26530, "Another solution"
In response to Reply #0

Record in pfile how long a ranger is marked for, on average. If less than x hrs, and due to log out rather than death, remove camo and chamo from them.

DaevrynSun 23-Aug-09 05:07 PM
Member since 13th Feb 2007
11117 posts
#26529, "RE: Mark of the Prey"
In response to Reply #0

I've thought about doing this, but if/when I get around to it I'll probably also make mark have a duration.

AceBushidoSun 23-Aug-09 05:27 PM
34 posts
#26531, "How would that work, out of curiosity?"
In response to Reply #1

Would the duration last on the person who is marked? Because if it lasts on the assassin then they can still log out until the timer is gone and then come back. If it IS on the person who gets marked then there should be an echo saying something like "You've failed to kill your mark" or something like that.

But also with a duration I think there should be a little more utility to mark of the prey. Maybe nothing HUGE. Something like actually being able to see your mark on "where" when you're blind or being able to locate your mark across different continents, for a larger price of course. (can you already do this?)

incognitoSun 23-Aug-09 06:14 PM
4495 posts
#26532, "Another alternative"
In response to Reply #1

How about if someone logs out within x hours of having a mark placed on them, there's a 5% chance that the mark will become permanent, and the assassin will always be able to see them? Meanwhile the assassin can still mark others if they chose.

IsildurSun 23-Aug-09 06:49 PM
5969 posts
#26533, "RE: Another alternative"
In response to Reply #4

That's unnecessarily harsh. I'd say just log it whenever someone quits out with a mark on them that's been there less than "X" hours. Take action when a pattern develops for a given character.

*ESPECIALLY* if dude logs back in immediately after logging out. That's usually a dead giveaway that he did it on purpose.

thendrellSun 23-Aug-09 08:52 PM
Member since 08th May 2009
134 posts
#26538, "RE: Another alternative"
In response to Reply #5

You have assassins that do nothing more than sit in galadon marking and stalking players who are returning to galadon to log out, maybe for a short period to do something unrelated, and then come back in. Half of them probably have no idea the assassin is even there or that they are marked. They should not be punished for having to take a brief break.

Until a pattern is seen, I think people should be left alone. You have a problem with mark and its limitations, don't play an assassin. If you suspect some ranger is abusing logging out, pray about it. The mechanics probably work well enough as is.

AceBushidoSun 23-Aug-09 09:17 PM
34 posts
#26540, "wtf are you talking about?"
In response to Reply #9

Being marked isn't a PUNISHMENT, it's a SKILL you can use in the game. That's exactly why it SHOULDN'T go away just because you log out, because for some reason you people think being marked is some divine punishment and logging out is the way to escape it. no... mark is a viable skill used by the assassin class that has ONE drawback (people can get rid of it by logging out) and I'd like to see that drawback fixed

IsildurSun 23-Aug-09 09:35 PM
5969 posts
#26542, "RE: Another alternative"
In response to Reply #9

I don't see this happening. If someone gets marked, then quits 3 ticks later, then logs back in 30 seconds after that...99% of the time it's shady.

I agree you shouldn't punish someone for the first time, unless there's something that makes it obvious it was done in bad faith. (Like dude taunts the assassin after logging back in.)

But if it happens more than once? Odds are pretty small that it was accidental.

incognitoMon 24-Aug-09 02:15 AM
4495 posts
#26546, "My experience with every assassin"
In response to Reply #12

that I've ever played, is that about one in three rangers logs out as soon as they realise they are marked, and about 9 out of 10 times they'll log back in in 5 minutes or less.

I prayed about it with one guy who did it after literally every fight we had, and the imm was not interested. He didn't seem too interested in the fact that it was an elf ranger who pk'd and looted his groupmates either. (That being our groupmate. I managed to mark him and force him off.) Think something hardcoded is needed.

JugynheimMon 24-Aug-09 07:21 AM
Member since 10th Jul 2009
43 posts
#26550, "RE: Another alternative"
In response to Reply #4

>How about if someone logs out within x hours of having a mark
>placed on them, there's a 5% chance that the mark will become
>permanent, and the assassin will always be able to see them?
>Meanwhile the assassin can still mark others if they chose.

This would be absurd to do in truth.

As someone who spent a good deal of time marked by at least one specific Imperial assassin, I'd only ever log off if I had to. The catch 22 is as a ranger, you can generally tell by your pk list and where you choose to park yourself, whether it's reasonably safe to go grab a quick drink or hit the restroom etc.

Most other classes, who don't have a viable method of avoiding getting killed while they're afk briefly will log off instead. So it doesn't make sense to penalize a ranger who's marked for logging to go take care of business.

That being said, logging to get rid of a mark is, or at least should be be unacceptable behavior. Definitely more frowned upon than a cabal member who logs off even if they just logged on, because they don't have their item or the odds are stacked against them. Both should be considered poor form at best.

If possible, Mark of Prey should have an hour limit on it in reference to those characters who are marked and log off. Not being able to play your character for an hour without retaining the mark you should have retained had you not quit should be sufficient. And even in this case, repeat offenders who seemingly always quit playing for an hour when they get marked should be noted and titled as Cowardly types etc. And in their case, maybe increase the duration.

A ranger complaining about mark of the prey, is as silly as an assassin complaining about ranger's seeing them in the wilds even though they're hidden. It's part of the checks and balances of the game, just deal with it. If you're quitting out because of game mechanics it's time for you to rethink things.

incognitoTue 25-Aug-09 01:41 AM
4495 posts
#26562, "It's an assassin?!"
In response to Reply #18

You shouldn't need to be camo to remove the risk of being pk'd when visible.

I can use the toilet or get a drink with plenty of classes that can't hide, let alone ones that can hide from people in the air.

You'd have to be in one area long enough for the assassin to walk to you from a guild, and find you, and reach you. And that assumes he locates mark just at the wrong time.

Top General Discussions Gameplay Topic #26528 Previous topic | Next topic