Subject: "In the interest of injecting freshness" Previous topic | Next topic
Printer-friendly copy Email this topic to a friend CF Website
Top General Discussions Gameplay Topic #23814
Show all folders

BaronMySoul (inactive user)Mon 16-Feb-09 08:28 AM
Charter member
#23814, "In the interest of injecting freshness"

We've had awhile to digest the double xp weekend and its effect. It was a lot of fun.

Imms - Don't you think that something like a double xp day once a month would be beneficial to the MUD as a whole without detracting from the atmosphere you're looking for?

It seemed like a lot of people were:

a) Rolling up classes they normally wouldn't play.
b) Rolling up characters when they haven't played in years
c) Getting to the hero ranks sooner without deleting
d) Newbies were getting a chance to try out heroes.

For those three reasons, I'm a huge fan of double experience time. It brings more people to the MUD in more diverse roles, which in turn makes the game more fun for everyone.

The thing to worry about, of course, is storage characters and hoarding of limited gear. I have a solution for this: Alter the hoarding code to affect IPs with multiple characters to trigger more frequently than those who play single characters at a time.

Alert | IP Printer Friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Reply RE: In the interest of injecting freshness, Zulghinlour, 16-Feb-09 12:08 PM, #2
Reply RE: In the interest of injecting freshness, BaronMySoul (Anonymous), 16-Feb-09 01:18 PM, #3
     Reply RE: In the interest of injecting freshness, Zulghinlour, 16-Feb-09 01:21 PM, #4
          Reply Well., Dallevian, 16-Feb-09 01:30 PM, #5
               Reply I did as well..., Dragomir, 16-Feb-09 06:06 PM, #8
Reply Read the announcements again. The 25% XP boost with no ..., Scrimbul, 16-Feb-09 11:44 AM, #1
     Reply I seriously, seriously doubt you'll see a bigger boost ..., Scrimbul, 16-Feb-09 03:04 PM, #6
          Reply Meaning, BaronMySoul (Anonymous), 16-Feb-09 03:32 PM, #7

ZulghinlourMon 16-Feb-09 12:08 PM
Member since 04th Mar 2003
9792 posts
Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author Click to view this author's profile Click to add this author to your buddy list
#23818, "RE: In the interest of injecting freshness"
In response to Reply #0

>We've had awhile to digest the double xp weekend and its
>effect. It was a lot of fun.
>
>Imms - Don't you think that something like a double xp day
>once a month would be beneficial to the MUD as a whole without
>detracting from the atmosphere you're looking for?

Personally I think once a month is too often.

>It seemed like a lot of people were:
>
>a) Rolling up classes they normally wouldn't play.
>b) Rolling up characters when they haven't played in years
>c) Getting to the hero ranks sooner without deleting
>d) Newbies were getting a chance to try out heroes.

And very few of those characters actually ended up sticking. Much like Empire...easy come, easy go.

>For those three reasons, I'm a huge fan of double experience
>time. It brings more people to the MUD in more diverse roles,
>which in turn makes the game more fun for everyone.

Actually it brings more people to the mud for a short period of time, where roleplay tends to get tossed out the window in favor of power-ranking or mindless PK'ing.

If I'd seen the playerbase maintain some level of growth due to the double xp weekend/day I'd be more inclined to look further into it. For now, I think it's a nice reward (January 1st) or a good marketing tool (double-xp announcement in the newsletter)

So long, and thanks for all the fish!

BaronMySoul (inactive user)Mon 16-Feb-09 01:18 PM
Charter member
#23821, "RE: In the interest of injecting freshness"
In response to Reply #2

>Actually it brings more people to the mud for a short period
>of time, where roleplay tends to get tossed out the window in
>favor of power-ranking or mindless PK'ing.

I think I agree that roleplay gets thrown out the window for the day. Anyone that sticks around to become part of the MUD will get it in their head that RP is enforced. Also, I think I'd rather have a MUD of 50 players where some roleplay well and some do not than a MUD of 10 players who all roleplay extremely well.

>If I'd seen the playerbase maintain some level of growth due
>to the double xp weekend/day I'd be more inclined to look
>further into it. For now, I think it's a nice reward (January
>1st) or a good marketing tool (double-xp announcement in the
>newsletter)

I think this kind of equates to a big sale at an expensive grocery store. Normally their prices are so expensive that no one wants to go there. So, when there's a big sale, everyone shows up. Since they know prices won't be the same the next day, or next week, or next month, why show up at again?

Now, let's say we had a double xp day every other month. People would be more inclined to roll something up, rank, learn the game, and stick it out so they could make it the rest of the way the next time. Or so my theory goes.

In response to Scrimbul - Dude, you're right. The 25% exp boost for low numbers is awesome, but it goes away during peak times. Not complaining about anything, just trying to draw more numbers. I'd rather have the higher numbers than a boost for off-peak times.

ZulghinlourMon 16-Feb-09 01:21 PM
9792 posts
Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author Click to view this author's profile Click to add this author to your buddy list
#23822, "RE: In the interest of injecting freshness"
In response to Reply #3

>>If I'd seen the playerbase maintain some level of growth due
>>to the double xp weekend/day I'd be more inclined to look
>>further into it. For now, I think it's a nice reward
> January
>>1st) or a good marketing tool (double-xp announcement in the
>>newsletter)
>
>I think this kind of equates to a big sale at an expensive
>grocery store. Normally their prices are so expensive that no
>one wants to go there. So, when there's a big sale, everyone
>shows up. Since they know prices won't be the same the next
>day, or next week, or next month, why show up at again?
>
>Now, let's say we had a double xp day every other month.
>People would be more inclined to roll something up, rank,
>learn the game, and stick it out so they could make it the
>rest of the way the next time. Or so my theory goes.

So you want a big sale at the expensive store every other month. You practically guarantee that the only time I'm ever going to your store is on big sale day. That isn't going to have any long-lasting growth at all. As I said, it's a nice reward or marketing tool.

So long, and thanks for all the fish!

DallevianMon 16-Feb-09 01:30 PM
1639 posts
#23823, "Well."
In response to Reply #4

Just to make you feel better, I logged on New Year's day and am still playing my character that participated in a few hours of double exp.

It's the only character I have. I really enjoyed the bonus. It was extremely helpful. I'd gladly take another day like that. I only average 4-6 hours a week so it was super-awesome to me.

Peace, Zulghy.

(And thanks.)

DragomirMon 16-Feb-09 06:06 PM
Member since 09th Mar 2006
220 posts
Click to send private message to this author Click to view this author's profile Click to add this author to your buddy list
#23832, "I did as well..."
In response to Reply #5

But mine was on the Double XP weekend. I still have that character and it was in a class I had never played before.

I don't think I would do it every month, but perhaps every three or four months. If you are going to do a for weekend again anyway.

ScrimbulMon 16-Feb-09 11:44 AM
Member since 22nd Apr 2003
884 posts
Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author Click to view this author's profile Click to add this author to your buddy list Click to send message via AOL IM Click to send message via ICQ
#23817, "Read the announcements again. The 25% XP boost with no ..."
In response to Reply #0

ScrimbulMon 16-Feb-09 03:04 PM
Member since 22nd Apr 2003
884 posts
Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author Click to view this author's profile Click to add this author to your buddy list Click to send message via AOL IM Click to send message via ICQ
#23827, "I seriously, seriously doubt you'll see a bigger boost ..."
In response to Reply #1
Edited on Mon 16-Feb-09 03:04 PM

The 25% boost comes exactly when I need it: That is to say, whenever the guy that's afraid of me getting to the level of Pincer or Grand Nocturne is asleep and not around to attack me so I can mow down mobs for 500 xp a pop instead of 300, or 800 xp a pop instead of 500, or 1200-1500 xp a pop instead of 900, etc.

It still sucks ass no one will play a tank without it being a Rager or a goodie lately due to the shifter and thief revamps, but thems the breaks.

Bard Repertoire Clarifications:
http://forums.carrionfields.com/dc/dcboard.php?az=show_mesg&forum=6&topic_id=23735&mesg_id=23735&page=

BaronMySoul (inactive user)Mon 16-Feb-09 03:32 PM
Charter member
In response to Reply #6

You're looking for an evil tank? Time for some goodie bashing.

I'll roll something up. Don't think our times cross often, though.

Top General Discussions Gameplay Topic #23814 Previous topic | Next topic