Subject: "We have too many cabals." Previous topic | Next topic
Printer-friendly copy Email this topic to a friend CF Website
Top General Discussions Gameplay Topic #22102
Show all folders

XanthraillesTue 19-Aug-08 07:40 AM
Member since 04th Mar 2003
391 posts
Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author Click to view this author's profile Click to add this author to your buddy list Click to send message via AOL IM Click to send message via ICQ
#22102, "We have too many cabals."

I have reviewed several of the posts about things people didn't enjoy or felt were flawed. Quite a few complained about the gangs/mass logins at hero and the cabal system.

My thought is that the current cabal system is flawed. It was nice to have all of these cabals when we had 100+ players. Now there just aren't enough people to support the current system. In addition we now have multiple people playing multiple cabals. This only adds to the problems. Because now you have heros that count in the cabal numbers, but rarely log on.

What I'd like to see happen is a reduction in the number of cabals again. Anyway, I thought this would be a good topic to get me through the work day.

Alert | IP Printer Friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Reply Totally agree. My suggestion..., Lightmage, 13-Sep-08 10:42 AM, #13
Reply RE: We have too many cabals., Plushka, 22-Aug-08 05:27 PM, #9
Reply I kind of agree here, but would take a different path, elmeri_, 13-Sep-08 10:17 AM, #12
Reply You could make conquer and coup part of cabal wars for ..., Boon, 19-Aug-08 02:25 PM, #6
Reply How would having fewer cabals fix this?, incognito, 19-Aug-08 12:56 PM, #3
Reply Four cabals is worth talking about., Stunna, 19-Aug-08 12:44 PM, #2
Reply RE: Four cabals is worth talking about., Dragomir, 19-Aug-08 02:16 PM, #4
Reply I think it forces more action., Stunna, 19-Aug-08 02:26 PM, #7
Reply RE: Four cabals is worth talking about., Grudan, 19-Aug-08 02:25 PM, #5
Reply Wow... I really like that idea..., Stunna, 19-Aug-08 04:14 PM, #8
Reply Hrm, I agree here, Plushka, 22-Aug-08 05:29 PM, #10
Reply I would leave Village in, swap Empire for Scion and it'..., Scrimbul, 25-Aug-08 05:19 PM, #11
Reply RE: We have too many cabals., Daevryn, 19-Aug-08 07:57 AM, #1

LightmageSat 13-Sep-08 10:42 AM
319 posts
Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author Click to view this author's profile Click to add this author to your buddy list
#22408, "Totally agree. My suggestion..."
In response to Reply #0

4 cabals.

1-Empire/Tribunal combine again but change philosophy. A take over of all towns and civilized lands.
2-Outlander/Battle combine in some format. Wild barbarian tribe that views magic as dangerous to the land. Oposes the empire/scion.

3-SHadow/Scion unite and begin their work using wild magic to bring forth eternal night.
4-Knight/Fortress combination-To oppose the shadow/scions.

THink if each of these is fleshed out good we would have a more dynamic cabal war system.

Hope is the worst of evils, for it prolongs the torment of man.

PlushkaFri 22-Aug-08 05:27 PM
Member since 16th Feb 2005
150 posts
Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author Click to view this author's profile Click to add this author to your buddy list Click to send message via AOL IM
#22143, "RE: We have too many cabals."
In response to Reply #0

Don't remember if it was mentioned in this threat or another place but someone had a pretty awesome idea about how to merge the cabals. Could put the Empire and the Tribunals together, the Outlanders and Battle together with different groups, so that you have the wild-like ones who don't hate magic but don't trust it either since it's against nature, the Nexus and the Scion combined with the mages in the Outlanders to make the Masters of Magic again, and maybe throw in the Fortress's mages, but that's not that big of a deal, and the Fortress on its own against the evil people in all the other cabals.

elmeri_Sat 13-Sep-08 10:17 AM
Member since 13th Dec 2004
252 posts
Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author Click to view this author's profile Click to add this author to your buddy list
#22407, "I kind of agree here, but would take a different path"
In response to Reply #9

I think making the cabals straight forward good vs. evil, chaos vs. order is kinda bleh. Multi-faceted systems are more interesting anyways.

Mayby get rid of tribunal, and let empire take over guarding protected cities - perhaps with a twist.

Outlander is fairly interesting as an outlaw cabal.

Ragerrrrs are necessary, because it's an awesome diehard mentality and good for the game in general.

Goodie cabal I guess is necessary.

Right now, all the cabal choices are really, really great, and diversity is always fun, but I think limiting people to a fewer cabals would inevitably result in more group on group action, which in return results in more carrion for the fields.

BoonTue 19-Aug-08 02:25 PM
Member since 15th Jul 2007
72 posts
Click to send private message to this author Click to view this author's profile Click to add this author to your buddy list
#22120, "You could make conquer and coup part of cabal wars for ..."
In response to Reply #0

Two cabals that have some compatible interests, such as Nexus and Scion, could fight over who is the dominant partner in their alliance. Maybe as long as Nexus has Scion's cabal item, then Scions only get access to their cabal powers (including the power to recruit new Scions) as long as the Nexus leader allows it. However, this also puts Scion leaders in the line up for potentially becoming the next Nexus leader. In the meantime, Scions could attempt a coup to get their item back, and maybe they'll even get the Nexus item while they are at it.

This creates broader organizations on an as needed basis. The smaller a cabal is, the easier they are to conquer and keep under control.

Furthermore, I think Seantryn Modan must be destroyed.

incognitoTue 19-Aug-08 12:56 PM
4495 posts
Click to add this author to your buddy list
#22115, "How would having fewer cabals fix this?"
In response to Reply #0

You'd still find that wimps won't log/stay on if their side is outnumbered.

StunnaTue 19-Aug-08 12:44 PM
1048 posts
Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author Click to view this author's profile Click to add this author to your buddy list Click to send message via AOL IM
#22114, "Four cabals is worth talking about."
In response to Reply #0

I too, need to get through my work day.

What if we just took it down to four cabals that represented good, evil, chaos, order. Basically make it Empire, Fort, Outlander, Tribunal. This would still nearly every kind of role, and the magic oriented cabals like scion, rager, nexus, could turn into religious organizations like scarab.

I think this would, in fact, reduce some of the problems you mentioned with pendulum swinging and the like.

DragomirTue 19-Aug-08 02:16 PM
Member since 09th Mar 2006
220 posts
Click to send private message to this author Click to view this author's profile Click to add this author to your buddy list
#22118, "RE: Four cabals is worth talking about."
In response to Reply #2

I would change Empire for Scions.

Tribunal: Orderly - Any Align

Outlander: Chaotic - Any Align

Fort: Good - Any Ethos

Scion: Evil - Any Ethos

On a side note, I wouldn't go down to four cabals, but if we did, I would use those four.

StunnaTue 19-Aug-08 02:26 PM
1048 posts
#22121, "I think it forces more action."
In response to Reply #4

If you have 10 people in range, instead of them being spread out over 7 cabals, they are spread out over 4. You could argue either way whether that would decrease the pendulum swing, or increase it. I think it would make the situation better. Playing 10 on 1 is no fun at all. But if it's 5 on 1, and the other 4 people are sort of neutral, well, it's not any better on the 1, but the 5 don't have to feel as guilty for the one sidedness.

Not sure if that makes sense. I am headache.

GrudanTue 19-Aug-08 02:25 PM
Member since 21st Sep 2007
57 posts
#22119, "RE: Four cabals is worth talking about."
In response to Reply #2

I ended up with the same 4 cabals after thinking about it, but for different reasons. But the end was the same.

Random idea: Merge Battle, Nexus and Scion. Have the cabal's idea by 'Only we should use magic, because only we are worthy'. The cabal has 2 sects. Those who use/study/improve magic (Nexus/Scion like powers) and those who don't use magic who's job it is to hunt down and kill those who dare use 'freelance' magic. (For you die hard battle players).

StunnaTue 19-Aug-08 04:14 PM
1048 posts
#22129, "Wow... I really like that idea..."
In response to Reply #5

Former nexans believe that magic just is, and are somewhat scholarly. Former scions believe that magic should serve the cabal, and are aggressive. The two work in tandem, much the way that Acolyte and Maran work together now. Opposing forces of the same goal.

PlushkaFri 22-Aug-08 05:29 PM
Member since 16th Feb 2005
150 posts
#22144, "Hrm, I agree here"
In response to Reply #5

This is actually a pretty cool take on the merger idea. Would take some serious RP event to make villagers like "magic isn't ALL bad, so long as it's controlled and used only by those worthy to control it" from the present view of "all magic corrupts!"

ScrimbulMon 25-Aug-08 05:19 PM
Member since 22nd Apr 2003
884 posts
Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author Click to view this author's profile Click to add this author to your buddy list Click to send message via AOL IM Click to send message via ICQ
#22165, "I would leave Village in, swap Empire for Scion and it'..."
In response to Reply #2

It would be an interesting opportunity to beef of the powers of all five cabals as well, and leave Fortress, Outlander and Scion all reliant on the veil. Allow orcs to enter cabals again but only Ragers and Scions. Get rid of thief guilds since they give a bare minimum of RP and disadvantages that thieves don't need and other guilds don't have. If I had my way, either the MUD would get smaller or Tribunal would go the way of the Dodo (but not both) but hell would freeze over before that happened.

DaevrynTue 19-Aug-08 07:57 AM
Member since 13th Feb 2007
11117 posts
#22104, "RE: We have too many cabals."
In response to Reply #0

>In addition we now have multiple people playing
>multiple cabals.

Now? When haven't we had that?

(Obviously, lots of people do only play one character at a time, and always have.)

Top General Discussions Gameplay Topic #22102 Previous topic | Next topic