Subject: "New blood." Previous topic | Next topic
Printer-friendly copy Email this topic to a friend CF Website
Top General Discussions Gameplay Topic #21651
Show all folders

CointreauSun 29-Jun-08 09:39 PM
Member since 20th Nov 2004
300 posts
Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author Click to view this author's profile Click to add this author to your buddy list Click to send message via AOL IM
#21651, "New blood."
Edited on Sun 29-Jun-08 09:43 PM

So I've taken a break from CF, until I can get a better rein of my temper I probably won't be back either. I have looked at a few other Muds though and learnt a few things.

For any mud to survive, you need new players. Recently in my boredom I started several characters on various Muds that rarely drop below 200 players, even during the Aussie peak. I was trying to kill time, but it was somewhat interesting seeing how long they each lasted me, and determining why.

The key factor that kept me from quitting within the first hour, or even 15 minutes was how quickly you actually got into the game. Long academies, newbie quests and the like were far more likely to make me quit. Whereas the games where I could pretty much jump into killing mobs, and gaining levels were far more appealing, even if I was completely lost.

The problem I see with CF is it is incredibility newbie unfriendly. CF is probably one of the tougher Mud to master, yet it contains less newbie help than most of the easier muds.

Some examples of what I found appealing on other Muds;

Automatic hints that could be toggled on and off were actually quite handy, even if some were blatantly advertising the mud I was on. E.g. Hint: Shapeshifters can not actually choose their forms, only what type of form they'd like to focus upon. The forms you gain are completely random, and the more powerful combos are quite rare. See; help shapeshift
An ad like that to a player from one of the more standard and boring muds like Aardwolf is definitely going to spark some interest.

Automatic hints and tips when I reached an obstacle were far less draining than slogging through a text file on how to use a key when forced into a locked room. Similar to what happens when you hit level 11 and you enter PK range.

Not being forced through the same stupid academy on every mud teaching me how to look, move and eat. There should be two academy paths; one for complete Mud noobs, which we have now, and one for vets from other muds. Maybe during creation you give three options; New to CF; New to Mudding in general; or neither.

Completely OOC help files on where and how rank and quest for the low levels. Every vet already knows this, and any noob could find it IF they new the right websites. A help file listing good areas to rank with directions included, and I don't mean "north of Galadon", I mean; 4n2w2n2e, or better yet; a link to a map.

Another OOC helpfile with a "basic regear" list for each main class type. Of course you'd state in the help file that this is only to put them on even footing with the vets, and that after level 15-20 they'd have to work it out for themselves.

Much of what the academy has to teach newbies can be done with CF's excellent help command (which I must say kicks the living #### out of any other mud I've played) or the newbie channel. Expanding the newbie channel so that more players, not just pre-11 and IMMs can talk on it would help too. Maybe grant it to people who request it, or once you pass a certain number of hours, but be quick to remove it and punish any who abuse it too.
Instead of forcing new players to read a slab of help files when they start, 99% of which they'll forget almost instantly, just drill into them that if they get stuck help <name> will almost always find what they want, and if it doesn't there's always someone on the newbie channel.

Also, CF is a PvP mud. I'm sure It's more bloody and vicious than any other PvP mud out there, so why not advertise it? Why not allow PvP in the academy arena, or at least parts of it. Give small amounts of exp for winning, and even some for losing. Make it so you don't die, you just get DEFEATED like the current arena, and stop any skill improvements so people can't abuse it. Like I said, starting a new mud is beyond boring, it's a chore and this is a good way to combat it.

I dunno, I'm starting to ramble a bit now. I figured I just throw some ideas out there and see what you thought.

Alert | IP Printer Friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Reply RE: New blood., Isildur, 01-Jul-08 08:42 PM, #11
Reply I really like this idea. nt, terinth, 02-Jul-08 02:10 AM, #12
Reply Great idea, implemented for next crash/reboot (n/t), Zulghinlour, 04-Jul-08 12:53 PM, #15
Reply This is the kind of stuff that ####s me too., Cointreau, 01-Jul-08 12:32 AM, #10
Reply RE: New blood., Tac, 30-Jun-08 10:06 PM, #7
Reply Good points., Lightmage, 30-Jun-08 10:05 PM, #6
Reply RE: Good points., Toxic, 03-Jul-08 09:52 AM, #13
Reply I agree to some..., Eshval, 30-Jun-08 05:36 PM, #3
Reply RE: I agree to some..., Cointreau, 30-Jun-08 06:11 PM, #4
     Reply RE: I agree to some..., Cointreau, 04-Jul-08 01:41 AM, #14
Reply Re: Hints, Zulghinlour, 30-Jun-08 02:36 PM, #2
Reply ideas, Quixotic, 30-Jun-08 06:32 PM, #5
     Reply RE: ideas, terinth, 30-Jun-08 10:47 PM, #9
Reply Those are actually good points, Andriana, 30-Jun-08 04:55 AM, #1
     Reply RE: Those are actually good points, terinth, 30-Jun-08 10:45 PM, #8

IsildurTue 01-Jul-08 08:42 PM
Member since 04th Mar 2003
5969 posts
Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author Click to view this author's profile Click to add this author to your buddy list
#21670, "RE: New blood."
In response to Reply #0

>Expanding the newbie channel so that more players, not just
>pre-11 and IMMs can talk on it would help too. Maybe grant it
>to people who request it, or once you pass a certain number of
>hours, but be quick to remove it and punish any who abuse it

I've suggested this before. On problem with letting higher-level characters remain on the newbie channel is that it's inherently OOC and may color other players' opinions of that high level character. For instance, if some evil guy is really "nice" on thew newbie channel, it might make people go easy on him. Etc. So to solve that problem...

1. Add a toggle for characters who do *not* select the "I am new to Carrion Fields" option that allows them to indicate whether they wish to "help" on the newbie channel past level 11.

2. Out of the set of characters who indicate they want to help, choose some who seem to know what they're doing and (more importantly) seem like they're not cocky know-it-all's who're going to spout misinfo like it's the gospel truth.

3. Allow these characters to continue to use the newbie channel past level 11. However, when they say something, have it appear to all non-immortals as "A helpful mortal says" instead of the character's actual name. That prevents people from forming OOC opinions of that character based on newbie channel traffic.

4. For people who *do* say that they're new to Carrion Fields, let them have access to the newbie channel indefinitely. However, when they speak on it, all non-imms see, "A curious newcomer says" instead of the character's real name. This prevents malicious vets from choosing to monitor the newbie channel just so they can figure out which characters are newbies and which aren't.

terinthWed 02-Jul-08 02:10 AM
Member since 24th Dec 2005
83 posts
Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author Click to view this author's profile Click to add this author to your buddy list
#21672, "I really like this idea. nt"
In response to Reply #11

ZulghinlourFri 04-Jul-08 12:53 PM
9792 posts
#21682, "Great idea, implemented for next crash/reboot (n/t)"
In response to Reply #11

n/t

So long, and thanks for all the fish!

CointreauTue 01-Jul-08 12:18 AM
300 posts
Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author Click to view this author's profile Click to add this author to your buddy list Click to send message via AOL IM
#21663, "This is the kind of stuff that ####s me too."
In response to Reply #0
Edited on Tue 01-Jul-08 12:32 AM

Jeseztha says to you 'Whoa there, XXX! North of here, you'll find what you need to get started.'

I re-rolled today, and that little detour is minor but frustrating.

TacMon 30-Jun-08 10:06 PM
Member since 15th Nov 2005
2050 posts
#21660, "RE: New blood."
In response to Reply #0

>The key factor that kept me from quitting within the first
>hour, or even 15 minutes was how quickly you actually got into
>the game. Long academies, newbie quests and the like were far
>more likely to make me quit. Whereas the games where I could
>pretty much jump into killing mobs, and gaining levels were
>far more appealing, even if I was completely lost.

>Not being forced through the same stupid academy on every mud
>teaching me how to look, move and eat. There should be two
>academy paths; one for complete Mud noobs, which we have now,
>and one for vets from other muds. Maybe during creation you
>give three options; New to CF; New to Mudding in general; or
>neither.

>Also, CF is a PvP mud. I'm sure It's more bloody and vicious
>than any other PvP mud out there, so why not advertise it? Why
>not allow PvP in the academy arena, or at least parts of it.
>Give small amounts of exp for winning, and even some for
>losing. Make it so you don't die, you just get DEFEATED like
>the current arena, and stop any skill improvements so people
>can't abuse it. Like I said, starting a new mud is beyond
>boring, it's a chore and this is a good way to combat it.

I wanted to expound on this point because I, like I'm sure a good number of us, still remember getting bashed to death at level 4 by giants running around with perfected bash (by virtue of being giants and gaining the skill at level 1) and hero sets at level 6.

I would suggest extending the academy arena to include ranking up to level 10, and having it act like the arena that was recently put in (no pk range, anyone can fight anyone, defeated instead of death). This is a good way IMHO, to hook people... Nothing gets the adrenaline going like that first pk... AND to soft introduce them to one of the harder parts of CF... Getting pk'd and losing all your stuff. So you get pk'd in the newbie arena, carted off and get a prompt about how normally your corpse would be where you died and you'd be running back from your recall point and all that.

Griefing *might* be an issue, but perhaps a timer on how often you can engage in another pk attempt in the arena after a pk win (or loss) might help there if it is an issue.

I know hints seems to be the popular thing, but throwing people into the pk mix early (with virtually no downside for them) would I think help to hook new players... assuming of course there is another person in the newbie area that goes after them.

Anyway, just my two cents.

LightmageMon 30-Jun-08 10:05 PM
319 posts
#21659, "Good points."
In response to Reply #0

I remember when I started playing, I think you could PK at rank 5 in the academy. WHat attracted me to this mud right away was the fighting. I liked seeing my skills go up, practicing and seeing improvements, ranking on things and trying to get tougher.

More OOC directions for newbies would be a good idea. I suggested a while back have an automated guide. You go to an adventurers guild and for a small fee a guide will walk you to an area. Literally walk you each step and stop at junctions to say things like "Here at the crossroads, we are going to have to head south abit, looks like we should get there by nightfall..ect, etc." The mob would then walk you to the ranking area or area you chose. Give you a few hints on what to avoid or battle, and then head off. You could even impliment it for explore areas, Hell, whatever, for any level. It would quickly show people all the options out there without winding up lost or not knowing how to get to past because of a hidden trapdoor, etc.

Hope is the worst of evils, for it prolongs the torment of man.

ToxicThu 03-Jul-08 09:52 AM
Member since 30th Mar 2008
8 posts
#21676, "RE: Good points."
In response to Reply #6

This would be awesome for newbies. When I first started, I was woefully dependent on other, more experienced players to get me anywhere out of the academy. Then if I died out there and the vet didn't feel like coming back to get me I'd be screwed. I hated not being self-sufficient. After several rounds of exploring I got pretty good at navigating, but I think just finding your way around is one of the biggest challenges for newbies. Bigger than the equipment concerns, since you can't get the equipment if you can't find your way around.

And there have been some AWESOME vets out there who have taken me aside while trooping to some region and explained "okay, from the Northern Crossroads we go east until we see a sign that says X". That was the best, absolute best, help in the world. Thank you so much for that, all you nice vets out there.

Maybe there could be a guide at the northern exit in the academy. You know, someone who steps out of the darkness and asks if you'd like to be shown a new place to go. There could be a guide for a good, evil, or neutral character that would direct them to a good spot. Or just take them to Aldevari or something.

There could also be guides in the Temple of the Moon and other newbie heavy locations.

Maybe for those who claim to be completely new to Mudds or Carrion Fields there could be a guide for those under level 5 to direct them back to their corpse. Although that might be taking the idea too far since your items eventually show up in the pit.

EshvalMon 30-Jun-08 05:36 PM
Member since 22nd Aug 2004
519 posts
Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author Click to add this author to your buddy list
#21654, "I agree to some..."
In response to Reply #0

The hints, like Z mentions would be nice. The screens of text flashing by when looking for help can be and is pretty annoying. I had suggested a nice popup window that is off to the side, but I have no idea how to do this. Something about client issues and stuff.

Let's hear some of those 'hints.'

eshval@carrionfields.com

I hate to advocate drugs, alcohol, violence, or insanity to anyone, but they've always worked for me. - Hunter S. Thompson

CointreauMon 30-Jun-08 06:11 PM
300 posts
#21657, "RE: I agree to some..."
In response to Reply #3

After watching their victims movements, an Assassin can slip into the feared martial trance and confront their foe head on, or risk it all in an attempt to finish the victim one fatal strike. See; help assassination and help martial trance

Demons and Devils can prove powerful allies, but the Conjurer must be careful not to weaken themselves too much, lest their minion break their binds and turn on their master.
See; help conjure demon, help conjure devil and darkbind

Warriors are hardly the boring standard class. Each can choose two weapon specialization's, and two of the 48 legacies, making each Warrior truly unique, and allowing combos never seen before.

There can only be one Orc Chieften, and that can only be the strongest. Berserkers of the Grinning Skull village will periodically challenge the Chieften, but this challenge is not taken on lightly; it is a fight to the death.

Bards are not just entertainers and jesters; they are true masters of illusion. Able to conjure up their victims worst nightmare, they can make it so real that the victim actually believes and feels any pain inflicted.

Maybe not the greatest, but I will add some more later.

CointreauFri 04-Jul-08 01:41 AM
300 posts
#21680, "RE: I agree to some..."
In response to Reply #4

Some shapeshifters can take on forms of great birds; they can fly to great heights and watch their unsuspecting prey, then swoop down to strike when the time is right.

The thunderclap of The Hunt approaching is a truly terrifying sound to behold, very few escape its clasp.

No Guild carries greater potential than that of the Anti-Paladin, for their unholy blessing can grow without limit in power as it feeds upon the souls of its victims. Do you have what it takes to go down in Carrion Field's history?

No Guild carries the raw and pure destructive power of an Invoker, and only the strongest can stand in the path of a master of the elemental arts.

The Empire is vast and powerful army, bent on controlling the world. Will you stand against this dark power, or take the bloodoath and join its ranks?

Whilst large and intimidating, the Empire is far from united. The Army is broken down into four sects, and within those sects there are many ranks. Promotion can be earned many ways, but it is rarely without blood. Are you determined enough to become Thera's next Emperor?

No Guild revolves more heavily around death than that of the Necromancer, they're able to animate the dead, or even kill with a single word.

There are five types of Thief Guilds in Thera, and you can choose to learn your skills from any or all of them. Will you lay traps for your unsuspecting victim, or use your cheap tactics confront them head on? Will you become a master pickpocket, never seen, never heard, or brew the most malicious poisons ever known to man?

Will post more when I can.

ZulghinlourMon 30-Jun-08 02:36 PM
9792 posts
#21653, "Re: Hints"
In response to Reply #0

I really like the idea of hints. If you've got specific ideas, feel free to toss them out. We have a mechanism in place (the Are you a Newbie question) to determine when to show them, it's really just a matter of making sure you're offering the appropriate data at a reasonable time.

So long, and thanks for all the fish!

QuixoticMon 30-Jun-08 06:32 PM
Member since 09th Feb 2006
830 posts
Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author Click to add this author to your buddy list
#21658, "ideas"
In response to Reply #2

First, if you really wanted to make popups you could use something like Zuggsoft's MXP. You can create neat, borderline gimicky effects like popups, hyperlinks, and graphics appear in Zugg's clients and a handful of others, but the danger is that like color it is easy to go overboard.

One way to help newbies would be to collect data that correlates self-declared newbies to which helpfiles they look for. Maybe you already do that? The next step would be to ensure that those helpfiles have the RELATED HELPFILES portion of a help entry figured out. If you want to do it right, you could use that data to refer players to helpfiles that aren't directly related, but people tended to access in conjunction with the first helpfile, sort of like on Amazon.

Give flagged newbies an area warning the first time they enter a new area that is over their level or contains mobs aggressive to them. The first time I was in the Galadon cemetary, I remember going from level 10ish mobs to wandering too deep and getting splatted by a juju zombie.

more later. Honey-do list strikes again

terinthMon 30-Jun-08 10:47 PM
83 posts
#21662, "RE: ideas"
In response to Reply #5

Not only would that preclude telnet users and require a special client, as far as I can tell, there's no client that implements it for Mac OS X? At least not listed on the page about the specification.

AndrianaMon 30-Jun-08 04:55 AM
Member since 30th Mar 2006
63 posts
#21652, "Those are actually good points"
In response to Reply #0

A bit dependent upon game style, of course, but good ones.

There is a balance to find between going OOC in IC MUD though.
If you take Aardwolf (I am not sure if I am allowed to mention it here, but if I am not, just delete the name of the MUD), for example, it is completely OOC MUD. But it is damn newbie friendly.

I guess CF could use some of its inventions if some thoughts could be put into how they can fit CF environment.

terinthMon 30-Jun-08 10:45 PM
83 posts
#21661, "RE: Those are actually good points"
In response to Reply #1

"That MUD" is also just a glorified chat room, which I think is a fine line you have to walk when looking at this kind of stuff.

That said, I think the hints are a good idea, as well as an extended newbie channel. Hints should definitely include cabals, I think:

The Battleragers, Haters of Magic, will never stop until the blood of every mage stains their blades. Will you hunt with them or will they hunt you?

The Fortress is home to the Holy Brigade of the Phoenix and the Acolytes of the Golden Sun, the sword and shield of the Light. Will you join their crusade to purge Thera?

etc... Mine probably aren't that great, but this could possibly replace the cabal rooms in the Academy, as well.

Top General Discussions Gameplay Topic #21651 Previous topic | Next topic