Subject: "Arena" Previous topic | Next topic
Printer-friendly copy Email this topic to a friend CF Website
Top General Discussions Gameplay Topic #20102
Show all folders

silencedstatikSun 30-Dec-07 09:36 PM
Member since 13th Aug 2005
81 posts
Click to send private message to this author Click to view this author's profile Click to add this author to your buddy list Click to send message via AOL IM
#20102, "Arena"

Haven't seen it yet, but wanted to throw this out there. Since Herald seems to be really lacking these days, how about overhauling the cabal to be some sort of overseer of this?

Alert | IP Printer Friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Reply Two BIG requests about arena, Dervish, 31-Dec-07 07:32 PM, #10
Reply RE: Two BIG requests about arena, Sebeok, 31-Dec-07 07:55 PM, #11
Reply RE: Arena, Sebeok, 30-Dec-07 10:16 PM, #1
     Reply Make 'em all beer hags then!, silencedstatik, 31-Dec-07 12:23 AM, #2
     Reply I'd just like to yell a big f-ing thanks!, Rogue, 31-Dec-07 12:24 AM, #3
          Reply Glad to hear it, Sebeok, 31-Dec-07 12:45 AM, #4
               Reply Can we look forward to..., Mekantos, 31-Dec-07 01:24 AM, #5
                    Reply RE: Can we look forward to..., Sebeok, 31-Dec-07 01:32 AM, #6
                         Reply What about 3 vs an Immortal? :) nt, GinGa, 31-Dec-07 11:01 AM, #7
                         Reply I'm just waiting for...., Torak, 31-Dec-07 12:26 PM, #8
                              Reply *snip*, laxman, 01-Jan-08 11:12 AM, #12
                                   Reply Ravon has lost a 60-70+ charge weapon atleast two times..., Cerunnir, 01-Jan-08 09:40 AM, #14
                         Reply The Monster Arena info., Mekantos, 31-Dec-07 12:48 PM, #9
                              Reply If you want to play FFX, go play FFX, trewyn, 01-Jan-08 09:09 AM, #13
                                   Reply Way to be a an ass for no reason, Mekantos, 01-Jan-08 12:59 PM, #15
                                        Reply RE: Way to be a an ass for no reason, Plushka, 02-Jan-08 11:26 AM, #16

DervishMon 31-Dec-07 07:32 PM
Member since 11th Oct 2003
617 posts
Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author Click to view this author's profile Click to add this author to your buddy list Click to send message via ICQ
#20120, "Two BIG requests about arena"
In response to Reply #0

1. Make the cost of looking the battle just 1 gold coin. That will help lowbies and newbies (who always have lack of gold) to watch. Make this show for poor, not just wealthy vets!

2. Make some logging or scribing of battles. So we can see past fights. Maybe you just ask mob "who fought recently", he gives you the list and for a small sum of silver you can get log somehow...

SebeokMon 31-Dec-07 07:55 PM
Member since 04th Mar 2003
940 posts
Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author Click to view this author's profile Click to add this author to your buddy list
#20121, "RE: Two BIG requests about arena"
In response to Reply #10

You haven't actually been in the Arena, have you? I'll hold off on what I'd normally say to a post like this.

1 - There's no cost to watch the battle. There IS cost to watch the battle from a private suite, safely away from potential enemies.

2 - There are log boards available if people want to post logs. Having an automated logging system and memory seems like a lot of work for minimal gain.

SebeokSun 30-Dec-07 10:16 PM
940 posts
Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author Click to view this author's profile Click to add this author to your buddy list
#20104, "RE: Arena"
In response to Reply #0

One of the core concepts of the design was that it'd require no intervention (imm or mortal) to have an arena battle. Another core concept is allowing for quests or special arena events to be run through this new dynamic. There is certainly the possibility of Herald (or whomever) getting involved in certain Arena happenings.

silencedstatikMon 31-Dec-07 12:23 AM
Member since 13th Aug 2005
81 posts
Click to send private message to this author Click to view this author's profile Click to add this author to your buddy list Click to send message via AOL IM
#20107, "Make 'em all beer hags then!"
In response to Reply #1

Just kidding. Thanks for your work and effort.

RogueMon 31-Dec-07 12:24 AM
Member since 24th Sep 2003
718 posts
Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author Click to add this author to your buddy list Click to send message via AOL IM
#20108, "I'd just like to yell a big f-ing thanks!"
In response to Reply #1

Im sure a lot of work went into this concept, and let me just say I think it's fantastic, and has so much great potential.

I'm very excited in seeing how this can play out for learning to pvp pk, the rp potential, betting, etc.

Thanks! This is an awesome addition!

SebeokMon 31-Dec-07 12:45 AM
940 posts
#20110, "Glad to hear it"
In response to Reply #3

My pleasure man..hopefully it's well received and opens up a lot of new options previously unthinkable. As with any large-scale project, there'll be some tweaks forthcoming I'm sure.

MekantosMon 31-Dec-07 01:24 AM
Member since 06th Dec 2003
796 posts
Click to send email to this author Click to add this author to your buddy list
#20111, "Can we look forward to..."
In response to Reply #4

...something like the arena in FFX? If you're not familiar, lemme tell ya...

Basically, you can opt to fight npc's rather than a PC in the arena. But, you can also gather items relevant to certain areas, or from certain creatures, which can be used by the arena master (maybe some crazy biomancer...sz'ra's rebel nephew?) to generate ever more potent creatures. In CF, without graphics, these creatures would need to be exceedingly flavorful and/or interesting to fight. Nep could certainly do wonders with that.

SebeokMon 31-Dec-07 01:32 AM
940 posts
#20112, "RE: Can we look forward to..."
In response to Reply #5

Not familiar with FFX at all... but there certainly is the ability built into the infrastructure to support something like that. Whether or not we do it is a whole other question.

GinGaMon 31-Dec-07 11:01 AM
996 posts
#20114, "What about 3 vs an Immortal? :) nt"
In response to Reply #6

nt

TorakMon 31-Dec-07 12:26 PM
Member since 15th Feb 2007
1216 posts
Click to send private message to this author Click to view this author's profile Click to add this author to your buddy list
#20116, "I'm just waiting for...."
In response to Reply #7

...11 people to make an arena team to challenge Ravon

laxmanTue 01-Jan-08 02:19 AM
Member since 18th Aug 2003
1867 posts
Click to send private message to this author Click to add this author to your buddy list Click to send message via AOL IM
#20122, "*snip*"
In response to Reply #8
Edited on Tue 01-Jan-08 11:12 AM

*snip* Got proof of cheating? Contact the IMPs. Don't have proof? Keep your accusations to yourself.

CerunnirTue 01-Jan-08 09:40 AM
Member since 21st Oct 2003
294 posts
Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author Click to view this author's profile Click to add this author to your buddy list Click to send message via AOL IM
#20124, "Ravon has lost a 60-70+ charge weapon atleast two times..."
In response to Reply #12

sdf

MekantosMon 31-Dec-07 12:48 PM
796 posts
#20117, "The Monster Arena info."
In response to Reply #6

( I found this info @ http://www.ffinsider.net/final-fantasy-10/marena.php )

Ok, there are four tiers to the arena, and they go like this:

-Fiends......................Your basic monsters transferred from various areas in the game. In other words, these ones already exist in some form, somewhere.

-Arena Conquest..............In FFX, Arena Conquest monsters are unlocked if you kill one of each monster type from a given area. For instance, one of the areas is called Besaid, and if you kill everything in there at least once (and some things are, of course, harder to find than others), you get to fight this special monster that represents Besaid, so to speak.

-Species Conquest............To unlock these creatures, you have to kill a specific number of creatures of a certain type. This is harder to do than the arena conquest because it's not limited to one area, or one level of difficulty. At level 1 you could kill a troll, and another troll you might not be able to kill until level 30 or so. When it's done you fight a big, bad mofo of each species type.

-Original Monster Conquest...This is where the Biomancer part would come in. These are the absolute hardest monsters to kill, and you have to fulfill a specific condition (or do a quest) to be eligible to fight them. The nice part is that the loot is phat if you do manage to take them down.

---------------------------------------------------------------------

That's the run-down of how it works in FFX. I can see an easy cross-over to CF's domain there, with lots of neat tweaks. For instance, you could also have class-based fights, racial-hate fights (orc vs. dwarf, etc), cabal-fights (if you're a rager maybe you can fight a crew of nasty nightwalkers and get a prize).

Just some thoughts! I hope it is inspirational.

trewynTue 01-Jan-08 09:09 AM
Member since 04th Jan 2005
269 posts
Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author Click to add this author to your buddy list
#20123, "If you want to play FFX, go play FFX"
In response to Reply #9

This is CF. Let's not make this a copy of something else.

MekantosTue 01-Jan-08 12:59 PM
796 posts
#20125, "Way to be a an ass for no reason"
In response to Reply #13

I was giving him info on a really, really good arena system that was beloved by the players of FFX. I didn't say "copy" it, I gave him info on it. Please shut your pie hole.

PlushkaWed 02-Jan-08 11:26 AM
Member since 16th Feb 2005
150 posts
Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author Click to view this author's profile Click to add this author to your buddy list Click to send message via AOL IM
#20130, "RE: Way to be a an ass for no reason"
In response to Reply #15

While we're at it, let's throw in summons kthx. I like having those three flowery broads when I do the arena

Top General Discussions Gameplay Topic #20102 Previous topic | Next topic