Subject: "A few ideas" Previous topic | Next topic
Printer-friendly copy Email this topic to a friend CF Website
Top General Discussions Gameplay Topic #19866
Show all folders

TJHuronFri 30-Nov-07 02:02 AM
Member since 28th Nov 2007
1132 posts
Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author Click to add this author to your buddy list
#19866, "A few ideas"

Here are a few ideas for the game I have. Some might have been knocked around before, however, I am not sure so here they are:

1) There is no doubt that Rot is a powerful commune. I think that if you kill that shaman that rots you, the curse should be lifted. I've never played a shaman and I don't know if there are any penalties to using the rot commune, but, I think that this commune also should be supplemented with a no recall ticker to give the Rotee a chance to remove the curse. I think that this would balance the commune nicely.

2) Trying to run away from someone can sometimes be difficult. It doesn't make sense to me how you can run past a person who tries to trip you and misses, yet, you still get engaged in battle with them. If they miss, you should escape, right? I think that if you are the attacker and miss a trip or bash, you should still get lagged, but, no battle ensues. This should be considered for other skills too.

3) If I am a hand to hand spec and I punch an elf with iron gauntlets, shouldn't it give the racial vulnerability damage bonus? I think there should be gauntlets in the game that have the special damage types for the hand to hand specs. Especially for mithril and iron.

4) Along the same line as point number three. If I am an elf, and I hold an iron sword. The grip on the hilt is most likely not made of iron. Sword hilts tend to be wrapped, axes have wood handles, etc... Why should I be burned? Further more, I am probably wearing some sort of gloves that will protect me against the iron. I think elves and drow ought to be able to wield weapons, not armor, of their racial vulnerability provided that they wear gloves.

To me these ideas seem to make sense. Maybe I should have asked Santa Zulg for this, tis the season!

Alert | IP Printer Friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

TheerklaFri 30-Nov-07 05:56 AM
Member since 04th Mar 2003
1055 posts
Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author Click to view this author's profile Click to add this author to your buddy list
#19868, "RE: A few ideas"
In response to Reply #0

>Here are a few ideas for the game I have. Some might have
>been knocked around before, however, I am not sure so here
>they are:
>
>1) There is no doubt that Rot is a powerful commune. I think
>that if you kill that shaman that rots you, the curse should
>be lifted. I've never played a shaman and I don't know if
>there are any penalties to using the rot commune, but, I think
>that this commune also should be supplemented with a no recall
>ticker to give the Rotee a chance to remove the curse. I think
>that this would balance the commune nicely.

Rot was significantly downgrade aldready. No further changes required

>
>2) Trying to run away from someone can sometimes be difficult.
>It doesn't make sense to me how you can run past a person who
>tries to trip you and misses, yet, you still get engaged in
>battle with them. If they miss, you should escape, right? I
>think that if you are the attacker and miss a trip or bash,
>you should still get lagged, but, no battle ensues. This
>should be considered for other skills too.
>
Depends. From a realism standpoint I could argue either case if I cared, but I don't.

I think there should be gauntlets in the game that have
>the special damage types for the hand to hand specs.
>Especially for mithril and iron.
>
Already exists to an extent.

>4) Along the same line as point number three. If I am an elf,
>and I hold an iron sword. The grip on the hilt is most likely
>not made of iron. Sword hilts tend to be wrapped, axes have
>wood handles, etc... Why should I be burned? Further more, I
>am probably wearing some sort of gloves that will protect me
>against the iron. I think elves and drow ought to be able to
>wield weapons, not armor, of their racial vulnerability
>provided that they wear gloves.
>
Game balance, or you could argue just the thought of holding a big hunk of iron kicks in your metal phobia, regardless. From a realism standpoint the tang of the sword is iron, it's just surrounded by another material - wood, copper wire, leather or something else to improve your grip. That's like saying you should be able to pick up an iron bar if you are wearing leather gloves.

>To me these ideas seem to make sense. Maybe I should have
>asked Santa Zulg for this, tis the season!

TJHuronFri 30-Nov-07 09:55 AM
Member since 28th Nov 2007
1132 posts
Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author Click to add this author to your buddy list
#19869, "RE: A few ideas"
In response to Reply #2

What was done to rot, and when?

_Magus_Fri 30-Nov-07 04:34 PM
Member since 05th Dec 2006
430 posts
Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author Click to view this author's profile Click to add this author to your buddy list
#19870, "RE: A few ideas"
In response to Reply #3

From what I understand, rot used to be hit-or-miss. Now, depending on save vs spell, there are varying degrees of its success now.

I don't want to give too much away though, because what you don't know may land me a kill

_Magus_Fri 30-Nov-07 02:26 AM
Member since 05th Dec 2006
430 posts
#19867, "RE: A few ideas"
In response to Reply #0

2) People who miss skills on you are at a disadvantage. Especially if they miss bash. Experienced player killers use that time against the person to land a critical malediction, disarm, or whatever other skill. I don't see that ever going away.

3) While having hand-to-hand damage be based off the sort of glove/gauntlet you're wearing would be cool, it's been said in the past that this is one of the disadvantages to taking it as a specialization. Don't see it changing.

4) You're asking for a major code reconstruction on weapons. They'd require a blade type and a hilt/handle type. Way too much work for such an impractical idea. Not being able to utilize weapons with an iron attack (or conversely, a mithril attack) is a disadvantage for the respective elves, to counter for their many advantages. Don't see a change for this.

While the ideas may "make sense," this is a fantasy game after all, and game balance has become the main goal for the Carrion Fields staff.

Top General Discussions Gameplay Topic #19866 Previous topic | Next topic