Subject: "Acute Vision" Previous topic | Next topic
Printer-friendly copy Email this topic to a friend CF Website
Top General Discussions Gameplay Topic #18280
Show all folders

AerdicaFri 06-Jul-07 04:12 PM
Member since 06th Jul 2007
2 posts
Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author Click to view this author's profile Click to add this author to your buddy list
#18280, "Acute Vision"

Is there a specific skill level or combo that is required to see hidden characters and mobs in the wilderness with acute vision? It has always seemed to happen immediately with my other rangers, but is not with my current. Thanks.

Alert | IP Printer Friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

dalnekoFri 06-Jul-07 06:32 PM
Member since 28th Feb 2006
268 posts
Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author Click to view this author's profile Click to add this author to your buddy list
#18283, "RE: Acute Vision"
In response to Reply #0

All rangers can see hiding characters in wilderness terrain that is not considered plains.

Generally the rule is that if it is a terrain that a thief can hide in then only assassins, duergar, and other thieves can see them. If it is terrain a thief is unable to hide in then only acute vision and assassin detect hidden will let you see them.

Not An ImmFri 06-Jul-07 07:27 PM
Member since 04th Mar 2003
141 posts
#18284, "Not that simple"
In response to Reply #3
Edited on Fri 06-Jul-07 07:52 PM

>> Generally the rule is that if it is a terrain that a thief can hide in then only assassins, duergar, and other thieves can see them. If it is terrain a thief is unable to hide in then only acute vision and assassin detect hidden will let you see them.

I've played a few recent rangers, and this isn't always true.

My caverndweller beastmaster can't see hidden foes in caves, and my mariner hunter couldn't see hidden foes in the water. My plainsrunner explorer, however, could seem to see any hidden chars on most wilderness terrain (although I don't think I ever tested caverns or water), although that may have changed since the explorer was a long time ago.

Granted, these hiding foes are all mobs (and not PC's, since they can't hide here) that should have probably been written to be camouflaged rather than hiding, but it doesn't make sense that there are so many things a ranger can't detect in his own home terrain.

I agree with Aerdica that if there is some specific criteria to seeing hidden foes in the different terrain, it should be documented in the helpfiles, since I don't want to have to play every ranger combination to figure it out on my own. This kind of thing is an important factor to know before you start a character.

dalnekoFri 06-Jul-07 08:56 PM
Member since 28th Feb 2006
268 posts
#18285, "I should've clarified then."
In response to Reply #4

That general rule applies to PCs. And I don't know about you but my mariner beastmaster was able to see hiding foes underwater. So who knows.

I think exceptions to this rule would be any of the races that can get that edge that allows assassins and thieves to hide in caves and underground. Orcs might also be the exception. I don't think rangers can see them when they hide in caves, swamps, or their village. But thieves and assassins can because of detect hidden.

When it comes to mobs detect hidden will always allow you to see a hiding mob.

SebeokFri 06-Jul-07 05:17 PM
Member since 04th Mar 2003
940 posts
#18281, "RE: Acute Vision"
In response to Reply #0

Certain terrain choices or expertise choices allow varied forms of acute vision.

AerdicaFri 06-Jul-07 05:22 PM
Member since 06th Jul 2007
2 posts
#18282, "RE: Acute Vision"
In response to Reply #1

Can helpfiles be changed to reflect that?

Top General Discussions Gameplay Topic #18280 Previous topic | Next topic