Subject: "Deaths Pre-PK Range" Previous topic | Next topic
Printer-friendly copy Email this topic to a friend CF Website
Top General Discussions Gameplay Topic #16022
Show all folders

WildGirlThu 18-Jan-07 12:10 AM
Member since 16th Sep 2004
250 posts
Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author Click to add this author to your buddy list
#16022, "Deaths Pre-PK Range"

Has any consideration been given to people not having deaths count towards con-loss until level 11?

As a mage, shaman, or anyone without combat skills, getting bashed to death against a lowbie mob is not only humiliating, but demoralizing. You get the big exp penalty and lose 1/3 of a con before you really even get started with the character.

Also, newer players could use the extra help.

An argument against this would be game abuse with people dying without consequence just to explore every place they could to loot gear, but a "you're too afraid" message and area denial would readily discourage this.

Thoughts, suggestions, comments, and flames are all welcome.

Alert | IP Printer Friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Reply Don't like that idea, incognito, 20-Jan-07 03:58 PM, #8
Reply Just reroll, Valkenar, 18-Jan-07 10:49 AM, #4
Reply Why bother?, Vladamir, 18-Jan-07 11:38 AM, #5
     Reply I do attach, Valkenar, 18-Jan-07 12:05 PM, #6
Reply RE: Deaths Pre-PK Range, Valguarnera, 18-Jan-07 08:50 AM, #3
Reply RE: Deaths Pre-PK Range, Isildur, 18-Jan-07 12:21 PM, #7
Reply I'd come halfway to this, DurNominator, 18-Jan-07 08:45 AM, #2
Reply RE: Deaths Pre-PK Range, _Magus_, 18-Jan-07 01:39 AM, #1

incognitoSat 20-Jan-07 03:58 PM
Member since 04th Mar 2003
4495 posts
Click to add this author to your buddy list
#16084, "Don't like that idea"
In response to Reply #0

Agree dying sucks.

However, it is better to learn the vulnerabilities of your characters sooner rather than later.

As a lowbie mage, don't stand in front of bashing mobs.

ValkenarThu 18-Jan-07 10:49 AM
1203 posts
Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author Click to view this author's profile Click to add this author to your buddy list
#16033, "Just reroll"
In response to Reply #0

Unless you're an empowerment class, or got a fantastically lucky loot. you might as well just reroll if you die that young. You lose basically nothing.

VladamirThu 18-Jan-07 11:38 AM
1179 posts
Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author Click to view this author's profile Click to add this author to your buddy list Click to send message via AOL IM Click to send message via ICQ
#16035, "Why bother?"
In response to Reply #4

It doesn't ruin the character if you're not completely maxxed out from day 1. When I roll a character I am loathe to delete for any reason, because I make each character unique and I want to hold onto that uniqueness. Try forming an attachment to your character. It helps your roleplay.

ValkenarThu 18-Jan-07 12:05 PM
1203 posts
Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author Click to view this author's profile Click to add this author to your buddy list
#16036, "I do attach"
In response to Reply #5

>It doesn't ruin the character if you're not completely maxxed
>out from day 1. When I roll a character I am loathe to delete
>for any reason, because I make each character unique and I
>want to hold onto that uniqueness. Try forming an attachment
>to your character. It helps your roleplay.

I don't reroll if I die once as a lowbie, but if I mob die three times I will. It's not critical to be maxed out, but I see no reason to start out a train behind either. Not when it only costs me an hour or two. Really, I almost never die as a lowbie.

Oh, and I never roll a serious character without having a role/background story and description, usually a speech style and a hopefully distinctive set of mannerisms in mind. It's not like I throw that away, I just reroll the exact same character. My roleplay may not be top of the line, but I have reason to think that it's pretty good.

ValguarneraThu 18-Jan-07 08:50 AM
6904 posts
Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author Click to add this author to your buddy list
#16029, "RE: Deaths Pre-PK Range"
In response to Reply #0

An argument against this would be game abuse with people dying without consequence just to explore every place they could to loot gear,

Yes. Yes, it would be an argument against this. "Area denial" on a scale sufficient to stop this would be harder on new players than the CON loss, I think.

Beyond that, setbacks make people learn caution. We don't want people hitting level 11 by fumbling around in a pillow-coated world until they just have to succeed. If they lose some CON, big deal. A few hp off their maximum is the least of their problems if they're regularly dying at level 1-10. We want people hitting level 11 with at least some modicum of knowing what they're doing.

As is, I think the bigger problem is that you can hit level 11 knowing too little.

valguarnera@carrionfields.com

IsildurThu 18-Jan-07 12:21 PM
5969 posts
#16040, "RE: Deaths Pre-PK Range"
In response to Reply #3
Edited on Thu 18-Jan-07 12:21 PM

There's still the disincentive of losing experience.

As for area denial, anybody who wants to explore areas risk-free can currently roll a throw-away lvl1 character and do it that way. I'm not sure how removing the con loss penalty would grant any additional ability to explore risk-free.

DurNominatorThu 18-Jan-07 08:45 AM
Member since 08th Nov 2004
2018 posts
Click to send private message to this author Click to add this author to your buddy list
#16028, "I'd come halfway to this"
In response to Reply #0

I suggest that we'd make characters of levels 1-5 not have con loss penalty on death. This way, there would still be the buffer of learning that death means something before getting to PK range.

_Magus_Thu 18-Jan-07 01:39 AM
Member since 05th Dec 2006
430 posts
#16026, "RE: Deaths Pre-PK Range"
In response to Reply #0

I'm all for making anything easier/lighter on the low level ranges. I don't think level 1-10 should be "get out of jail free" cards, but they definitely should not have the drastic drawbacks that more experienced adventurers have. Or should they? I don't know.

Top General Discussions Gameplay Topic #16022 Previous topic | Next topic