Subject: "an idea for potions" Previous topic | Next topic
Printer-friendly copy Email this topic to a friend CF Website
Top General Discussions Gameplay Topic #15215
Show all folders

laxmanThu 16-Nov-06 11:29 AM
Member since 18th Aug 2003
1867 posts
Click to send private message to this author Click to add this author to your buddy list Click to send message via AOL IM
#15215, "an idea for potions"

Throughout my time playing this game I have come across a plethora of potions that have nothing but maledictive or harmful affects. Now these already have a niche in the game to add a little danger to trying new potions but I feel for the most part these things just sit there and gather dust.

How about adding the ability to throw potions to mages. I would restrict it to mages and perhaps high level poison thieves just to give them a little bit of an edge. Personally i think it would make a good skill, as you get better at the skill you miss less.

for coolness you could have critical failures where you spill it all over yourself or perhaps hit the wrong target.

I would consider also adjusting level of the potions magic based on the level of the mage, so a level 10 mage isn't getting the full affect of a level 51 power word kill potion. Conversly a hero mage might pump a little extra magic into that level 5 poison potion.

This little addition could add some extra nifty tactics to playing mages and could even introduce entirely new tactics, such as hurling a recall potion at an enemy. (in the case of spells that require trust I would still give a chance to hit enemies with it but give them an extra save or two). Could also be cool to hurl a teleport potion at someone.

conversly you might consider giving thug thieves or someone else a forcefeed skill where they can attempt to get sleeping victims to eat pills or other food stuffs.

Alert | IP Printer Friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Reply How would it work?, Valguarnera, 16-Nov-06 09:26 PM, #5
Reply thats why i would restrict it to mages, laxman, 17-Nov-06 01:38 AM, #6
     Reply RE: thats why i would restrict it to mages, Murcadin, 17-Nov-06 01:07 PM, #8
Reply One thing for sure..., Nivek1, 16-Nov-06 08:50 PM, #3
Reply Hell, I know lvl 60 potions., GinGa, 16-Nov-06 09:23 PM, #4
     Reply keep in mind it would just be mages doing it nt, laxman, 17-Nov-06 01:39 AM, #7
          Reply APs too? nt, elmeri_, 17-Nov-06 06:13 PM, #9
               Reply I figured it could be one way to give "true" mages a po..., laxman, 17-Nov-06 08:36 PM, #10
Reply I'd like to see this as an ability for everyone., (NOT Pro), 16-Nov-06 04:15 PM, #2
Reply Why would mages want to throw potions when they can use..., dalneko, 16-Nov-06 02:54 PM, #1

ValguarneraThu 16-Nov-06 09:26 PM
Member since 04th Mar 2003
6904 posts
Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author Click to add this author to your buddy list
#15226, "How would it work?"
In response to Reply #0

Potions aren't applied by contact here, however. ('quaff') I can't picture them throwing a potion into anyone's mouth or anything, either.

More importantly, there's a large number of readily-accessible potions with stiff drawbacks. That's one of the perks of dedicated poisoners right now, but they aren't necessarily balanced for nearly everyone having them. (Why would this be a mage skill, btw?)

valguarnera@carrionfields.com

laxmanFri 17-Nov-06 01:38 AM
1867 posts
Click to send private message to this author Click to add this author to your buddy list Click to send message via AOL IM
#15227, "thats why i would restrict it to mages"
In response to Reply #5

I could see it working alot like a certain type of flask from a certain area explore. I would restict it to mages because of this fact, just throwing it wouldn't be enough but a mage could release or at the very least activate the magic within the potion before throwing it by channeling magic through it.

I understand a number of potions have stiff drawbacks and thats mostly why i wanted this skill. So many potions go unused as a result of this fact. I would scale spell level of the potion down towards the level of the mage. You could even make it like scrolls or wands and have to be of the same level as the spells in the potion to activate them.

obviously mages still have scrolls, staves, and wands but I see some really cool nifty potion affects that you never see out there like water malison and other various crafty maledictions.

MurcadinFri 17-Nov-06 01:07 PM
Member since 16th Jun 2005
37 posts
Click to send private message to this author Click to add this author to your buddy list
#15233, "RE: thats why i would restrict it to mages"
In response to Reply #6

I could see this being a way to initiate combat for a mage. The mage invokes his mana into the potion, with perhaps a round of lag, and then throws the potion at his enemy. Whether he hits or not could be DEX based and whether the potion just explodes in his hands during the adding of his mana to it would be INT/WIS based. If it blows up on him, the affects would happen to him. Even if he hits the enemy, there is a chance that it would just break and nothing would happen, perhaps skill % based for that. That is how I see it working.

The reasoning behind it not having to be drank to be affective is that the additional mana allows it to be absorbed through the skin. Perhaps someone with below 50% of their health would be more likely to be affected as they have open wounds.

Just a thought.

And so it goes...

Nivek1Thu 16-Nov-06 08:50 PM
655 posts
Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author Click to view this author's profile Click to add this author to your buddy list Click to send message via AOL IM
#15223, "One thing for sure..."
In response to Reply #0

There would certainly be a run on the PWK potions in the mausoleum.

GinGaThu 16-Nov-06 09:23 PM
996 posts
Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author Click to view this author's profile Click to add this author to your buddy list
#15225, "Hell, I know lvl 60 potions."
In response to Reply #3

But its not pwk I'd be throwing. I'd be throwing lvl 60 slow/sleep potions. If either spell lands, they're screwed.

Yhorian.

laxmanFri 17-Nov-06 01:39 AM
1867 posts
#15228, "keep in mind it would just be mages doing it nt"
In response to Reply #4

so it would be a small bonus and not as reliable as scroll and what not but could bring some differnt options to the board.

elmeri_Fri 17-Nov-06 06:13 PM
Member since 13th Dec 2004
252 posts
Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author Click to view this author's profile Click to add this author to your buddy list
#15240, "APs too? nt"
In response to Reply #7

nt

laxmanFri 17-Nov-06 08:36 PM
1867 posts
#15242, "I figured it could be one way to give "true" mages a po..."
In response to Reply #9

A-p's already get excision which is unique to them. Though I understand why they get it I think that giving this to mages would be a little extra mageness, nothing that I forsee changing the entire philosophy of mage combat but nifty. Keep in mind you can also see potions while blind, so when you can't see that other wand, stave, or scroll, you could simply hurl a potion hoping to hit something. I would allow it while blind because well if your close enough to exchange physical blows you still stand a good chance of being able to throw something the few inches or feet to strike them.

Pro (inactive user)Thu 16-Nov-06 04:15 PM
Charter member
#15217, "I'd like to see this as an ability for everyone."
In response to Reply #0

Kinda cool, could have some neat affects if there was a small chance for the potion to function in someway as it was supposed to.

dalnekoThu 16-Nov-06 02:54 PM
Member since 28th Feb 2006
268 posts
#15216, "Why would mages want to throw potions when they can use..."
In response to Reply #0
Edited on Thu 16-Nov-06 02:54 PM

wands, staves and/or scrolls? Heck save for shifters most mages have access to spells that can do more damage or whatever. Also don't Poisoner thieves get the ability to do something similar to this through the launch grenade skill? I mean, it sounds alright and all but really. Gameplay-wise it looks like it might be a bit redundant. That's just me.

Edit: Typoed shifters.

Top General Discussions Gameplay Topic #15215 Previous topic | Next topic