Subject: "Yet *another* Outlander idea" Previous topic | Next topic
Printer-friendly copy Email this topic to a friend CF Website
Top General Discussions Gameplay Topic #11712
Show all folders

TroubleSat 07-Jan-06 12:44 PM
Member since 10th Nov 2003
208 posts
Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author Click to view this author's profile Click to add this author to your buddy list
#11712, "Yet *another* Outlander idea"

Yes, yes I know....more crap about Outlanders.

Arguably, the two Outlander abilities that are most useful in combat with other PC's are chameleon and beast call; both of these, when used in the right situation, are indeed good tools.

However, both are also very easily countered by a number of other spells/skills, etc.. And this is on top of the already very limited areas where these 2 powers can be used. From reading logs (since I don't play that much anymore) it seems to be almost none of the powers from any other cabal are so easily countered as these two. Maybe Heralds..

I could be wrong (and often am), but it seems to me in the interest of balance that at least one of these might be addressed in some manner. My preference is something along the lines of a skill that allows the Outlander to either avoid or remove faerie fire/fog/bioluminescence. It would add nothing to the firepower of the group but greatly increase survivability and uncertainty, two things that Outlanders should be better at than anyone (given the whole idea of the cabal).

Either that or figure out a way to let Outties undo black auras or manacles (or WANTED) or resist or the Fort evil eyes thing, or the Heralds drink making skills. You get the idea.

By the way, I do think the Outlanders are the most plain *fun* to play, best range of personalities and interactions. The above was just something I noticed and was thinking about.

Alert | IP Printer Friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Reply Two Cents and a Penny for Thoughts, WildGirl, 08-Jan-06 01:13 AM, #13
Reply Okay, here's some change!, Trouble, 08-Jan-06 02:05 AM, #15
     Reply But you're missing..., WildGirl, 08-Jan-06 04:02 AM, #16
          Reply RE: But you're missing..., Larcat, 08-Jan-06 04:52 AM, #18
Reply RE: Yet *another* Outlander idea, nepenthe, 07-Jan-06 06:30 PM, #1
     Reply Tangential question:, Tac, 07-Jan-06 06:40 PM, #2
     Reply RE: Tangential question:, nepenthe, 07-Jan-06 06:45 PM, #3
          Reply Hrmm..., Tac, 07-Jan-06 06:55 PM, #4
               Reply I think he's talking about something BARTERED FOR in th..., Wilhath, 07-Jan-06 06:56 PM, #5
                    Reply No, I'm not., Tac, 07-Jan-06 06:57 PM, #6
                         Reply I'll field it for Neppy., Aiekooso, 07-Jan-06 07:08 PM, #7
                              Reply Really?, Tac, 07-Jan-06 07:18 PM, #8
                              Reply Seems to be level based., Straklaw, 07-Jan-06 07:47 PM, #9
                              Reply This is correct (n/t), nepenthe, 08-Jan-06 01:16 AM, #14
                                   Reply Outlander: The Ultimate Vague Cabal -nt, WildGirl, 08-Jan-06 04:04 AM, #17
     Reply Okay, I think this one is original..., Trouble, 07-Jan-06 09:39 PM, #10
          Reply heh, Aiekooso, 07-Jan-06 09:46 PM, #11
               Reply RE: heh, Trouble, 07-Jan-06 10:16 PM, #12

WildGirlSun 08-Jan-06 01:13 AM
Member since 16th Sep 2004
250 posts
Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author Click to add this author to your buddy list
#11736, "Two Cents and a Penny for Thoughts"
In response to Reply #0

Have to throw my opinion in here...

Outlanders have the most versatility/mobility of any of the cabals. They can be at any part of the world in a matter of moments and there are a lot of perks if you know where to look for them.

While in the past I have argued that some do not get the greatest use of the powers, there is a lot to be said for each branch and their cabal skill tree. PK-wise, beast call really helps in certain areas, while subvert guard helps in others. Since the cabal is geared towards neutrality mostly, it makes sense that the neutral characters have the access to both of these powers. Outlanders have the ability to hide that very few people can see, and have windwalk, which makes them fly and move very fast over the ground. Combined, that really is enough to make most people deadly. But it doesn't stop there. There is something that isn't talked about among the Outlanders that if you discover on your own makes you part of one of the most powerful cabals out there. Every Outlander has access to it. I like the cabal the way it is and don't think there needs to be many tweaks to it.

The only thing I would suggest would be to allow windwalk to work even when the item is gone. I know it doesn't make sense from an rp standpoint, but it still gives the cabal some mobility when all the other powers are taken away. Of course, the balance still is fine without adding this, so I'm not greatly pushing it.

My suggestion would be to work with what you have. If you're trying the same thing over and over and its not working, switch tactics. Outlanders are about speed and surprise, so don't try to play your character like a Berserker, or a Blade, or a Provost.

TroubleSun 08-Jan-06 02:05 AM
208 posts
Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author Click to view this author's profile Click to add this author to your buddy list
#11738, "Okay, here's some change!"
In response to Reply #13

I actually wasn't dismissing the Outlander powers, in many situations they do work fine. But in combat, the 2 most powerful are incredible easy to render completely ineffective by almost all classes facing them. No other cabal has their combat oriented powers so easily disrupted. That's the main focus of my argument.

Since it's obvious that a certain power similar to a shadow sect power skill will never be available to Outlanders, I was suggesting below another substitute.

Let's face it, if you battle almost anyone, the first thing they try to do is turn you pink (mages, shaman, healers). Even warriors and thieves can try to smoke you out with roots. Once you are pink, chameleon is no longer an option so it's harder to get time to heal, prep, etc.. The 'foresthome' below would allow you to get to another woods, heal, then come back if need be.

Beast call is very useful. Also incredibly easy to get around for a large number of classes. Not all, but many. And it only attacks the intial person called on. It is not something I would ever depend on.

And while windwalk is good for crossing water, and helps many classes move much faster, try running back for a raid from say, the pine forest. You'll never make it. Heck, the closest recall point is the Jade Mountains I think and most don't have that as their place. And few of the outlanders have recall potions. Teleports, yes, but recalls are a lot more difficult to come by for non-magic classes.

Now raid the spire. How soon are they back?

Raid the Palace. Attack the first centurions to give them a warning and how soon are they back? (Hamsah recall)

If I remember some of your earlier characters correctly, they were all very good Outlanders and knew how to use the powers well. I have some idea of the powers from a few different characters and recognize their limitations as well as their benefits.

Do they need a complete revamp? Heck no. But given some of the other limitations, I don't think something like the power I mentioned below is not out of line.

WildGirlSun 08-Jan-06 04:02 AM
250 posts
Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author Click to add this author to your buddy list
#11740, "But you're missing..."
In response to Reply #15

I agree with a lot of what you say, but you're missing stuff if you think you can't get from the pine forest to the Refuge in time for a raid. It should take you about thirty seconds without even windwalk falling. Explore and maybe you'll find a way.

Besides, what about Fortress? They have a long walk too, even if they all recall to Voralia. And they don't have windwalk for help.

You also can't compare Outlander to another cabal's abilities. Its like comparing frankfurters and giant goats.

LarcatSun 08-Jan-06 04:52 AM
Member since 04th Mar 2003
495 posts
#11742, "RE: But you're missing..."
In response to Reply #16

Really, I don't think anything more needs to be said down this path. Ok?

"New payment options w/ Iron Realms"

nepentheSat 07-Jan-06 06:30 PM
3430 posts
Click to send private message to this author Click to view this author's profile Click to add this author to your buddy list
#11717, "RE: Yet *another* Outlander idea"
In response to Reply #0

This is very similar to an existing (other) cabal power.

TacSat 07-Jan-06 06:40 PM
Member since 15th Nov 2005
2050 posts
#11720, "Tangential question:"
In response to Reply #1

Why does *outlander tree protection thingy* have such a short duration? Why doesn't it just have the normal duration for that spell/commune?

nepentheSat 07-Jan-06 06:45 PM
3430 posts
Click to send private message to this author Click to view this author's profile Click to add this author to your buddy list
#11721, "RE: Tangential question:"
In response to Reply #2

I tangentally admit that I have no idea what you're talking about.

TacSat 07-Jan-06 06:55 PM
2050 posts
#11722, "Hrmm..."
In response to Reply #3

Outlanders get protection (as in vs align) from something, but it lasts like 5 hours. Why? Why not the 24 as usual?

WilhathSat 07-Jan-06 06:56 PM
Member since 19th May 2003
528 posts
#11723, "I think he's talking about something BARTERED FOR in th..."
In response to Reply #4

At least, that's what I think he's getting at. I'm not sure why he's being so vague about it.

TacSat 07-Jan-06 06:57 PM
2050 posts
#11724, "No, I'm not."
In response to Reply #5

I'm being vague because I don't know if it's supposed to be known or not.

AiekoosoSat 07-Jan-06 07:08 PM
Member since 18th Dec 2003
305 posts
#11725, "I'll field it for Neppy."
In response to Reply #6

Because it isn't an Outlander thingie... It is part of what I suspect is an ongoing quest.

TacSat 07-Jan-06 07:18 PM
2050 posts
#11726, "Really?"
In response to Reply #7

It works for non-outlanders? How come I've never noticed it on other characters?

StraklawSat 07-Jan-06 07:47 PM
Member since 10th Mar 2003
1014 posts
Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author Click to view this author's profile Click to add this author to your buddy list Click to send message via AOL IM
#11728, "Seems to be level based."
In response to Reply #8

Seems like little characters don't get affected by it, but higherups can. Very definately not an Outlander thing...just more, they're the ones roaming the wilderness and notice it

nepentheSun 08-Jan-06 01:16 AM
3430 posts
#11737, "This is correct (n/t)"
In response to Reply #7

_

WildGirlSun 08-Jan-06 04:04 AM
250 posts
#11741, "Outlander: The Ultimate Vague Cabal -nt"
In response to Reply #14

nt

TroubleSat 07-Jan-06 09:39 PM
208 posts
#11729, "Okay, I think this one is original..."
In response to Reply #1

I don't yet know what to call it, maybe something like 'Foresthome', but the idea would be that Outlanders could travel instantly to any of the major forests such that by 'call foresthome Azreth' you would be transported to a random spot within that forest, you get the idea.

That way, even if 'pink' you could survive by jumping to other woods. It would function something like a semi-targetted teleport. The fun part (besides the obvious) is that it would make the appearance of Outlanders in different parts of the realm even more random (perhaps).

I had thought of another kind of similar thing with the thing we aren't supposed to talk about but this might be better. Or heck, tie it into that somehow.

AiekoosoSat 07-Jan-06 09:46 PM
Member since 18th Dec 2003
305 posts
#11730, "heh"
In response to Reply #10

That kinda already exists. Not to that extreme, but there is an Outlander ability that helps.

TroubleSat 07-Jan-06 10:16 PM
208 posts
#11732, "RE: heh"
In response to Reply #11

I know, but it is really pretty limited and not all Outlanders get access for reasons not discussed here.

Basically I'm thinking of something to balance what I see as the gaping hole in Outlander's major powers; they can be easily countered, even in the wilds and don't work at all out of them.

Top General Discussions Gameplay Topic #11712 Previous topic | Next topic