Subject: "Food, Boats, Drink Containers and Containers" Previous topic | Next topic
Printer-friendly copy Email this topic to a friend CF Website
Top General Discussions Gameplay Topic #11315
Show all folders

KastellynWed 14-Dec-05 07:05 PM
Member since 04th Mar 2003
864 posts
Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author Click to view this author's profile Click to add this author to your buddy list
#11315, "Food, Boats, Drink Containers and Containers"

These four items are now "standardized". This does not mean we're done with them, just that, across the board, jerky is jerky is jerky.

Please post here (or email me) with any issues you may have with the change. "The canteen in Balator holds less than half what the canteen in Arkham holds and is twice as heavy." "I bought a whole chicken in Galadon and it only weighed 100 g, but the one in Hamsah weighed 30 lbs." "There are plenty of small and medium containers, but no large ones." These are all good issues.

Some guidelines:

Food

In general, we balanced cost, weight and fill value as follows:

Low Weight + High Fill = High Cost
Low Weight + Low Fill = Medium Cost
High Weight + High Fill = Medium Cost
High Weight + Low Fill = Low Cost

Higher level food costs more, but usually is "better" in some way (less weight per fill value than it's level 1 counterpart, for example). Pretty much all sold food (that isn't progged in some way) should be level 1.

Containers

In general, a knapsack you buy in a shop will be able to hold less weight than a knapsack you find through adventuring. The same holds true for other containers.

The more a container can hold, the more it's going to weigh.

Magical containers have no real rules. These should be pretty difficult to get, but above average (light weight and can hold a lot) containers.

Drink Containers

The weight of the drink container includes the maximum weight of the liquid it is designed to hold. For a given container, it will weigh the same full as it will empty. Not being a coder, I'm not sure how hard it would be to give the contents weight, so I'll hold off on commenting any further on that aspect. I mention it here because I've had a few prays about it.

The more liquid a drink container can hold, the more it's going to weigh.

Boats

In general, we balanced cost, weight and level, with the lighter boats being higher level and more expensive than the lower level and/or cheaper ones. So if you want to buy the lightest boat possible, look for the highest level and most expensive one for sale.

If you find a boat on the ground, odds are it is going to be pretty heavy. And odds are it will be in a place close to a body of water.

Most magical boats will have some type of prog on them that turns them into a boat when you wear them. In other words, they won't be boats when they're in your inventory. We've added a few of these, and will probably tweak them and add a few more as we see the need.

Kastellyn the Devourer of Magic, Lord of Legends

Alert | IP Printer Friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Reply FYI to everyone:, nepenthe, 04-Jan-06 02:09 AM, #15
Reply Think I noticed that....., Tac, 04-Jan-06 08:20 AM, #16
     Reply I concur but.., Caleban, 04-Jan-06 12:03 PM, #17
          Reply RE: I concur but.., nepenthe, 04-Jan-06 01:38 PM, #18
Reply Nankorf is overpriced, DurNominator, 27-Dec-05 06:42 PM, #12
Reply RE: Nankorf is overpriced, Kastellyn, 28-Dec-05 01:40 AM, #14
Reply Few Comments/Questions, Straklaw, 15-Dec-05 04:22 PM, #3
Reply Create Food, nepenthe, 15-Dec-05 04:28 PM, #4
Reply RE: Few Comments/Questions, Qaledus, 15-Dec-05 04:38 PM, #5
Reply RE: Few Comments/Questions, Valguarnera, 15-Dec-05 04:39 PM, #6
Reply RE: Few Comments/Questions, Straklaw, 15-Dec-05 04:57 PM, #7
Reply I forgot markup. That's so embarrassing. (n/t), Qaledus, 15-Dec-05 05:26 PM, #8
Reply From real life experience..., Pendragon_Surtr, 27-Dec-05 10:28 PM, #13
Reply Speak of the devil..., Saith, 15-Dec-05 08:53 PM, #9
Reply RE: Few Comments/Questions, Kastellyn, 16-Dec-05 10:30 AM, #11
Reply If you don't have anything nice to say....., Tac, 15-Dec-05 03:59 PM, #2
Reply RE: Food, Boats, Drink Containers and Containers, Brian S, 15-Dec-05 03:06 PM, #1
     Reply RE: Food, Boats, Drink Containers and Containers, Kastellyn, 16-Dec-05 10:25 AM, #10

nepentheWed 04-Jan-06 02:09 AM
3430 posts
Click to send private message to this author Click to view this author's profile Click to add this author to your buddy list
#11643, "FYI to everyone:"
In response to Reply #0

This stuff, especially food, is something that we (okay, 99% Kasty) are still making fairly huge adjustments to as we see it in play.

TacWed 04-Jan-06 08:20 AM
Member since 15th Nov 2005
2050 posts
Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author Click to view this author's profile Click to add this author to your buddy list
#11645, "Think I noticed that....."
In response to Reply #15

Seems like food is getting slightly more filling and slightly less annoying....

CalebanWed 04-Jan-06 12:03 PM
Member since 26th Oct 2005
90 posts
#11650, "I concur but.."
In response to Reply #16

Food prices in Barovia are still a tad nuts. Steak and potatoes for 400+ copper... sheesh.. I can flight potions, detect invisible, enlarge, and a heck of a lot of other essentials cheaper. Many at a two for one ratio to the steak + potatoes.

nepentheWed 04-Jan-06 01:38 PM
3430 posts
Click to send private message to this author Click to view this author's profile Click to add this author to your buddy list
#11651, "RE: I concur but.."
In response to Reply #17

I refer you to my post above.

DurNominatorTue 27-Dec-05 06:42 PM
Member since 08th Nov 2004
2018 posts
Click to send private message to this author Click to add this author to your buddy list
#11508, "Nankorf is overpriced"
In response to Reply #0

Costing 260 coppers per meal. Additionally, there was no difference between the price of gourmet nankorf(which used to cost 10 coppers more than normal nankorf in the old system) and normal nankorf for Nankorf sold by Farhoak.

KastellynWed 28-Dec-05 01:40 AM
864 posts
#11519, "RE: Nankorf is overpriced"
In response to Reply #12

Costing 260 coppers per meal. Additionally, there was no difference between the price of gourmet nankorf(which used to cost 10 coppers more than normal nankorf in the old system) and normal nankorf for Nankorf sold by Farhoak.

All Nankorfs have the same fill value and weight.

Both Nankorfs sold by Farhoak have a greater copper value than the 'free' bowl of Nankorf obtained in the Castle; both do more than the free bowl - but the 'regular' bowl was underpriced a bit.

I've adjusted the fill values a decent amount to better reflect the cost, and updated how much you'll pay for the regular bowl. Thanks for pointing this out!

StraklawThu 15-Dec-05 04:22 PM
Member since 10th Mar 2003
1014 posts
Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author Click to view this author's profile Click to add this author to your buddy list Click to send message via AOL IM
#11320, "Few Comments/Questions"
In response to Reply #0

How do assorted "free" in monetary value foods fit into your standardization rankings? IE: Creature body parts are usually pretty filling, are they just massively heavy, since there's no cost? They usually don't last long anyways, so I don't see it's a huge issue.

Also rather curious as to priestly create food. It seems comparitively not filling - admittedly you can just make it when needed, but it's kind of a nuisance to have to pray a half-dozen times to be able to do lunch (Maybe a nice level adjustment there for the priest? It might be there anyways, my recent priests were all pretty low level as far as create food went).

Finally, I've been meaning to ask the whole time, but figure it can't hurt to bring the idea up anyways...there's the whole standardization of weight/fill/cost, but is there really much consideration to "difficulty to obtain"? If I can walk down the street to buy something at the same price as going cross-country, I'm obviously picking the easier one. I would think the poor butchers in Aturi might sell their goods abit cheaper than in Galadon, to try to attract sales - and it makes a bit of sense play-wise too, if people want the convenience of light, filling, and cheap food, they might be able to get a bit of a discount by running out to Blackclaw than down to the Wal-Mart of bakers living in Galadon

nepentheThu 15-Dec-05 04:28 PM
3430 posts
#11321, "Create Food"
In response to Reply #3

If I remember correctly, its fill value is very level dependent.

QaledusThu 15-Dec-05 04:38 PM
Member since 09th May 2004
458 posts
Click to add this author to your buddy list
#11322, "RE: Few Comments/Questions"
In response to Reply #3

>Finally, I've been meaning to ask the whole time, but figure
>it can't hurt to bring the idea up anyways...there's the whole
>standardization of weight/fill/cost, but is there really much
>consideration to "difficulty to obtain"?

Down the line you might see supply and demand price changes which
swivel on the standardized cost, but there is a lot to do between
now and when something like that becomes worthwhile.

ValguarneraThu 15-Dec-05 04:39 PM
6904 posts
Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author Click to add this author to your buddy list
#11323, "RE: Few Comments/Questions"
In response to Reply #3

but is there really much consideration to "difficulty to obtain"?

Generally speaking, shop markups should be steeper in the larger cities. In other words, a piece of food might be worth 100 copper, and you'll never see it for less than that, but the Galadon guy will sell it for more than that.

This was done a while back to encourage the use of all the towns-- larger towns will have more goods in one place, but smaller towns will give the better deals on what they do have.

valguarnera@carrionfields.com

StraklawThu 15-Dec-05 04:57 PM
Member since 10th Mar 2003
1014 posts
Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author Click to view this author's profile Click to add this author to your buddy list Click to send message via AOL IM
#11324, "RE: Few Comments/Questions"
In response to Reply #6

Alright, that's exactly what I was hoping for, it was just never mentioned in the standardization, so I wanted to double-check that things still took that into account, rather than entirely standardized and that consideration having been removed.

To Nepenthe: Thanks about the create food...as I mentioned, it's been awhile since I've had a decent level char with it, and my recent experiences have been getting hungry as fast as I was using it, but then again I was having mana issues, so that was making it a nuisance and I finally gave up and bought soup

QaledusThu 15-Dec-05 05:26 PM
Member since 09th May 2004
458 posts
Click to add this author to your buddy list
#11326, "I forgot markup. That's so embarrassing. (n/t)"
In response to Reply #6

What's haggle again?

Pendragon_SurtrTue 27-Dec-05 10:28 PM
193 posts
#11511, "From real life experience..."
In response to Reply #6

Your merchants in smaller towns are not interested in lowering their prices to attract travellers. Just the opposite, they know they can't compete with the bigger businesses in the large cities and they can't mark down their inventory enough to warrant someone going out of their way. Instead, they mark up their prices to stick it to the citizens of that town. I live in a town population 200 and our groceries are anywhere from 1.5 times to 3 times what they cost if we drive 45 miles to the nearest city. Average price for smokes in Grand Forks is $2.95, price for smokes in Pisek is $4.25. A loaf of bread is $3.00, a "small" jar of peanut butter is $3.00.

Just because a merchant does business in a small town, doesn't mean that he needs to lower his prices to make a profit.

SaithThu 15-Dec-05 08:53 PM
Member since 28th Feb 2005
144 posts
#11329, "Speak of the devil..."
In response to Reply #3

>Finally, I've been meaning to ask the whole time, but figure
>it can't hurt to bring the idea up anyways...there's the whole
>standardization of weight/fill/cost, but is there really much
>consideration to "difficulty to obtain"? If I can walk down
>the street to buy something at the same price as going
>cross-country, I'm obviously picking the easier one. I would
>think the poor butchers in Aturi might sell their goods abit
>cheaper than in Galadon, to try to attract sales - and it
>makes a bit of sense play-wise too, if people want the
>convenience of light, filling, and cheap food, they might be
>able to get a bit of a discount by running out to Blackclaw
>than down to the Wal-Mart of bakers living in Galadon

I got myself a "gourmet meal" earlier today. It was good. I'd buy it again, but $800? At least give me a fortune cookie with that! heh heh. Seriously though. I'm probably nit-picking, but for that price tag alone I'd of thought I'd get full. But then again, I'm paying for that extra pizazz! Right?

"Then hunger proved more powerful than grief." - Count Ugolino and the Tower of Hunger

KastellynFri 16-Dec-05 10:30 AM
864 posts
#11339, "RE: Few Comments/Questions"
In response to Reply #3

How do assorted "free" in monetary value foods fit into your standardization rankings? IE: Creature body parts are usually pretty filling, are they just massively heavy, since there's no cost? They usually don't last long anyways, so I don't see it's a huge issue.

These didn't really change.

Also rather curious as to priestly create food. It seems comparitively not filling - admittedly you can just make it when needed, but it's kind of a nuisance to have to pray a half-dozen times to be able to do lunch (Maybe a nice level adjustment there for the priest? It might be there anyways, my recent priests were all pretty low level as far as create food went).

We decided not to touch this.

Finally, I've been meaning to ask the whole time, but figure it can't hurt to bring the idea up anyways...there's the whole standardization of weight/fill/cost, but is there really much consideration to "difficulty to obtain"? If I can walk down the street to buy something at the same price as going cross-country, I'm obviously picking the easier one. I would think the poor butchers in Aturi might sell their goods abit cheaper than in Galadon, to try to attract sales - and it makes a bit of sense play-wise too, if people want the convenience of light, filling, and cheap food, they might be able to get a bit of a discount by running out to Blackclaw than down to the Wal-Mart of bakers living in Galadon

Like Valg said, this is tied into the seller's markup. Now that food is standardized, area writers can put 'better' foods into their areas to encourage/reward exploration. I wouldn't expect any of the mainstream (i.e. hometown) merchants to have 'better' foods, just differing markups on the existing standardized foods.

TacThu 15-Dec-05 03:59 PM
Member since 15th Nov 2005
2050 posts
#11319, "If you don't have anything nice to say....."
In response to Reply #0

Brian SThu 15-Dec-05 03:06 PM
118 posts
#11318, "RE: Food, Boats, Drink Containers and Containers"
In response to Reply #0

>Food

>In general, we balanced cost, weight and fill value as follows:

>Low Weight + High Fill = High Cost
>Low Weight + Low Fill = Medium Cost
>High Weight + High Fill = Medium Cost
>High Weight + Low Fill = Low Cost

>Higher level food costs more, but usually is "better" in some way >less weight per fill value than it's level 1 counterpart, for >example). Pretty much all sold food (that isn't progged in some >way) should be level 1.

What is the general price range you used on these, or a medium price range?

KastellynFri 16-Dec-05 10:25 AM
864 posts
#11338, "RE: Food, Boats, Drink Containers and Containers"
In response to Reply #1

Low Weight + High Fill = High Cost - Mid 60s
Low Weight + Low Fill = Medium Cost - Anywhere from 2 to high 50s
High Weight + High Fill = Medium Cost - Anywhere from low 40s to high 50s
High Weight + Low Fill = Low Cost - We actually don't have any of these. Who would buy them?

Top General Discussions Gameplay Topic #11315 Previous topic | Next topic