Subject: "A lore idea." Previous topic | Next topic
Printer-friendly copy Email this topic to a friend CF Website
Top General Discussions Gameplay Topic #10283
Show all folders

AiekoosoTue 13-Sep-05 10:01 PM
Member since 18th Dec 2003
305 posts
Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author Click to add this author to your buddy list
#10283, "A lore idea."

Lore in my opinion is by far one of the biggest pain in the butt skills to learn. I say this because usaully the people who need it are warrior's with low mana and no trance. I think lore should also increase based on the number of hours you have into the character. A warrior who has walked the lands for 200 years should have a little more knowledge than the warrior who has been around 25. The wisdom of the character could also affect the gains. Just my idea for the day.

Alert | IP Printer Friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Reply RE: A lore idea., incognito, 18-Sep-05 06:09 AM, #6
Reply why not link lore skill to exploration exp?, incognito, 18-Sep-05 12:36 PM, #7
     Reply We're not going to do that, however, nepenthe, 18-Sep-05 10:25 PM, #8
Reply Just a friendly reminder..., Saith, 15-Sep-05 06:23 PM, #4
Reply RE: A lore idea., Valguarnera, 13-Sep-05 11:38 PM, #1
     Reply RE: A lore idea., Aiekooso, 15-Sep-05 04:25 PM, #2
     Reply RE: A lore idea., Valkenar, 15-Sep-05 04:54 PM, #3
     Reply RE: A lore idea., Xaannix, 16-Sep-05 03:24 PM, #5

incognitoSun 18-Sep-05 06:09 AM
Member since 04th Mar 2003
4495 posts
Click to add this author to your buddy list
#10326, "RE: A lore idea."
In response to Reply #0

I found that for warriors, learning lore could barely even qualify as inconvenient. Sure, you may be stupid. Sure, you may have low mana, but you barely need that mana for anything else.

For an ap, on the other hand, who tends to be using his mana...

But then, ap's can use id scrolls instead.

Orcs don't have anything at all for identifying stuff, if I recall.

incognitoSun 18-Sep-05 12:36 PM
4495 posts
Click to add this author to your buddy list
#10330, "why not link lore skill to exploration exp?"
In response to Reply #6

Makes sense to me. As in, give extra % in lore as well as exp and moves.

You'd still probably want some kind of int influence in there though.

nepentheSun 18-Sep-05 10:25 PM
3430 posts
Click to send private message to this author Click to view this author's profile Click to add this author to your buddy list
#10334, "We're not going to do that, however"
In response to Reply #7

The apple of what we have in progress didn't fall all that far from this tree. Similar thinking, with extra masochism on our part.

SaithThu 15-Sep-05 06:23 PM
Member since 28th Feb 2005
144 posts
Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author Click to view this author's profile Click to add this author to your buddy list
#10311, "Just a friendly reminder..."
In response to Reply #0

Bards... Gnomes... and Svirfnebli, all get 100% Lore!

Those are all great options for new players. (Especially Bards! They rock.) Gnomes and Svirfs also have good class options.

Also. Certain types of thieves get a great skill called "appraise" which can replace Lore, if you choose, and gives great information about items as well.

There are lots of ways around this little speed bump for a beginning player, you just gotta look.

Hope it helps.

"Then hunger proved more powerful than grief." - Count Ugolino and the Tower of Hunger

ValguarneraTue 13-Sep-05 11:38 PM
6904 posts
Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author Click to add this author to your buddy list
#10285, "RE: A lore idea."
In response to Reply #0

I think lore should also increase based on the number of hours you have into the character. A warrior who has walked the lands for 200 years should have a little more knowledge than the warrior who has been around 25.

As a reminder, all skills improve at a faster rate for characters that have been around longer.

valguarnera@carrionfields.com

AiekoosoThu 15-Sep-05 04:25 PM
Member since 18th Dec 2003
305 posts
#10309, "RE: A lore idea."
In response to Reply #1

I am aware of that and agree with it for most skills. Lore however is strictly a utility skill and has very little pk application. It is something that can make a new players life a lot easier. I would recommend warriors as a good starter class for a new player. If you give them the ability to lore armor/weapons for future characters that just makes them even better.

ValkenarThu 15-Sep-05 04:54 PM
1203 posts
Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author Click to view this author's profile Click to add this author to your buddy list
#10310, "RE: A lore idea."
In response to Reply #1

>As a reminder, all skills improve at a faster rate for
>characters that have been around longer.

I know you get sick of the "think of the chiiiildren" argument, but isn't this one of the several things about lore that makes it disproportionately hard on newbs?

A lot of newbs won't have a lot of hours as most people's first few characters just don't last that long.

Unlike most skills you can't rely on it going up from normal use, because at the start there is no use for it. If you don't know and remember to use lore every time you have spare mana, it will never improve (except if it comes up often enough at level-gains.

And the worst part is, newbs need ID more than vets do, but if they're playing warriors and don't cue in to how to make lore usable they may end up with only the incredibly annoying task of swapping armor pieces around constantly to figure out the stats.

Personally I would never recommend a warrior for a newb because of the combination of them being the most gear-dependant class and being the least (tied several ways) able to identify what gear to use.

XaannixFri 16-Sep-05 03:24 PM
499 posts
Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author Click to view this author's profile Click to add this author to your buddy list Click to send message via AOL IM
#10317, "RE: A lore idea."
In response to Reply #1

Arg! Spend 250 hours with my arial char spamming lore when I can and its at 76%....gave up.

Top General Discussions Gameplay Topic #10283 Previous topic | Next topic