Subject: "Conflict between classes" Previous topic | Next topic
Printer-friendly copy Email this topic to a friend CF Website
Top General Discussions New Player Q&A Topic #870
Show all folders

DanaeyaMon 18-Jul-05 07:59 PM
Member since 03rd Jul 2005
16 posts
Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author Click to view this author's profile Click to add this author to your buddy list
#870, "Conflict between classes"

I've been wondering if someone could help me out and give me a little information about which classes tend to be enemies with each other.

Some things are just natural. The evil classes are obviously not going to be friendly with paladins, and paladins can't be too pleased with thieves and assassins.

But what about classes like druids, and shamans and the like? Do they have typical enemies among the other classes? I realize it depends in large part on the people playing these classes and what their individual characters are like, but are there some classes that tend to despise others?

I'm sure some of this knowledge will come with experience, but the reason I ask is because I was grouped with someone earlier, and while looking for another groupmate, spoke to a druid about joining us. He didn't want to join with my other groupmate who was a conjurer, and my groupmate had guessed that he wouldn't. I had never considered that a druid wouldn't get along with a conjurer. He might have been a member of Battle, but I didn't notice any title after his name. In any case it got me thinking about natural enemies among the classes that might not be as obvious as paladin vs. anti-paladin but still exist.

I'd rather know early on about common stereotypical conflicts between classes so that I can avoid confusion later. I wouldn't want to be seen as a powerleveler grouping with people she shouldn't just because it's convenient.

Alert | IP Printer Friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

incognitoTue 19-Jul-05 06:17 AM
Member since 04th Mar 2003
4495 posts
Click to add this author to your buddy list
#875, "That was probably me"
In response to Reply #0

I play my druid in what I personally see as a druidic fashion, and he doesn't feel comfortable around conjurers. He doesn't hate them the way he does some other classes, but generally, he's a guy at home with nature and brining extra-planar creatures is pretty unnatural.

If I gave you the full list of what my druid won't group with, you'd see that there is almost no class left.

incognitoTue 19-Jul-05 06:15 AM
4495 posts
#874, "Hiding classes tend not to be enemies"
In response to Reply #0

Some are. e.g. maran assassin will be enemy of scion thief, for example.

However, generally it is better for all if hiding classes (which can all see hidden) don't keep "outing" each other to those that can not see hidden, so there is usually at least a passive form of co-operation.

DurNominatorMon 18-Jul-05 08:51 PM
Member since 08th Nov 2004
2018 posts
Click to send private message to this author Click to add this author to your buddy list
#873, "RE: Conflict between classes"
In response to Reply #0

I had never considered that a druid wouldn't
get along with a conjurer. He might have been a member of
Battle, but I didn't notice any title after his name.

All members of Battle do not have titles attached to their name. Since we are talking about a druid, a communer, it is likely that he was an Outlander and thus didn't get along with conjurers. Of classes, outlanders don't get along with conjurers, anti-paladins, necromancers and paladins. So, the druid was likely to be an Outlander, which is not uncommon when druids are concerned.

In any
>case it got me thinking about natural enemies among the
>classes that might not be as obvious as paladin vs.
>anti-paladin but still exist.

This druid hates conjurer thing was likely druid being Outlander and thus hating conjurer, not a class vs class natural enemies setup. Paladins vs A-P's and necromancers is more or less fixed animosity, as paladins are goodies who fight evil and A-P's and necro's are evil.

I can't think of other certain hate/hate relations based on class only.

QaledusMon 18-Jul-05 08:47 PM
Member since 09th May 2004
458 posts
#872, "RE: Conflict between classes"
In response to Reply #0

>I had never considered that a druid wouldn't get along
>with a conjurer.

Some people feel that magic is not natural in the world
(not to be confused with power given from the gods, which
they're fine with) and its users should be shunned or
killed. The idea is that magic is at best a crutch for
the misguided and at worst can be disruptive (if not
destructive) to the natural order of the world.

Since conjurers bring beings from outside what many would
consider the natural world through the use of magic, and
then "enslave" those beings (again, a point of view),
you could see how that might cause a druid to grumble.

Qaledus
qaledus@carrionfields.com

nepentheMon 18-Jul-05 08:37 PM
3430 posts
Click to send private message to this author Click to view this author's profile Click to add this author to your buddy list
#871, "RE: Conflict between classes"
In response to Reply #0

Most of the conflicts you're seeing are probably more cabal-based than class-based, or they're based on the individual RP of the character in question.

For example, the Outlander cabal dogma rejects conjurers. The druid you ran into might have been a member of this cabal, or might be an aspiring member of that cabal. It's not uncommon for veteran players to create characters with beliefs largely in line with or at least not conflicting with in any major way the cabal they hope to join.

Alternately, this could've been part of this particular druid's role. Empowered characters such as shamans, druids, healers, and paladins frequently have relatively well-defined belief systems. That doesn't mean that every or even most healers will have the same enemies list, but it's likely that a healer character will have a pretty good idea of who his enemies and allies will be, though this need not be class based.

Paladins and many other good-aligned characters will, as you say, shun and often hunt obviously evil characters. Beyond that, it really does tend to come down to individual RP, which itself is often shaped by existing cabals and religions.

Oh. Finally, not every cabal will have titles that give away their cabal membership. On-duty Tribunal do and members of the Empire cabal do; prominent members of some other cabals, especially cabal leaders, often do as well, but this is not a hard and fast rule.

Top General Discussions New Player Q&A Topic #870 Previous topic | Next topic