Subject: "Two small suggestions." Previous topic | Next topic
Printer-friendly copy Email this topic to a friend CF Website
Top General Discussions New Player Q&A Topic #780
Show all folders

Psektos (inactive user)Mon 09-May-05 05:59 PM
Charter member

1) Make this forum open so that newbies can post as guests.

This would be an amazing curteousy to new players and help make them feel Carrion Fields help is easily accessible.

2) Make the two maps of Thera "inherent" to all characters with a specific map command that brings them up.
ex. "thera west": would bring up the map of western Thera.

Helps newbies who accidently get into the higher levels and need maps to get around after PK. And even veterans trying to remember exactly where an area is.

Alert | IP Printer Friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Psektos (inactive user)Tue 10-May-05 12:05 PM
Charter member
In response to Reply #0

With the maps of Thera add a colour or number code to settlements that hold quests? The colour or number code would relate to level require to attempt it.

The areas are large enough, I think, that this would not be giving away too much and you could only list quests for characters from level 1 to 20.

As for the prevention of flamers/spammers, that would make sense if the battlefield was not open to guest posts.

nepentheTue 10-May-05 12:32 PM
Member since 04th Mar 2003
3430 posts
Click to send private message to this author Click to view this author's profile Click to add this author to your buddy list
#785, "RE: Add another."
In response to Reply #2

>With the maps of Thera add a colour or number code to
>settlements that hold quests? The colour or number code would
>relate to level require to attempt it.

I don't really see this happening.

For one thing, not all quests can be attempted by all characters.

For another, it can be hard to define which areas contain quests. I can think of one quest, for example, which requires visiting six different areas to complete. Do I flag all six areas?

The color scheme gets confusing if an area contains multiple quests.

And finally... our maps are black and white.

ValguarneraTue 10-May-05 02:19 PM
6904 posts
Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author Click to add this author to your buddy list
#786, "RE: Add another."
In response to Reply #2

Part of the idea of having quests at all is to provide incentives to explore areas. Providing a roadmap, even a partial one, defeats that purpose.

There are a number of quests which can be attempted at a very low level, but are still very obscure. I'm perfectly OK with them flying below the radar- it provides a nice perk for people with an especially careful eye.

As for the prevention of flamers/spammers, that would make sense if the battlefield was not open to guest posts.

The Battlefield is open to anonymous posting because it's for the discussion of characters, which is often best done by people posting as those characters. The Bug Forum is also open because posting some kinds of bugs under a registered handle would reveal who that player is playing, which could (unfortunately) color IC interactions with less scrupulous players.

The New Player Forum (and Gameplay, and AskAnImm), by contrast, is a discussion amongst players, independent of their characters (*). It also provides continuity- people can establish a beneficial reputation by posting consistently with a single handle. (They can also establish other types of reputations, which are also useful for the community to keep in mind.) Credibility is important- if someone has previously demonstrated to me that they observe the game more objectively, they don't have to work as hard to convince me that their current observation is valid.

valguarnera@carrionfields.com

(*): Ideally. Some players alter this equation by lobbying heavily for their present character, which I'd prefer to discourage for two reasons:

First, people tend to overreact (positively or negatively) to recent events, and putting some time between when you notice an issue and posting about it can provide perspective. We've all seen threads where people flip out over something that happened very recently.

Second, if one waits until a character is gone before lobbying for gameplay changes that would affect that character, it removes a number of questions about motives. Ideally, all parties would be suggesting topics based on what's best for their game, regardless of how it impacts their present character.

NarissaTue 10-May-05 11:00 PM
Member since 04th May 2003
279 posts
Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author Click to view this author's profile Click to add this author to your buddy list
#790, "I see myself smiling"
In response to Reply #4

Heh, Valg - The ever-faithful Father of Explorers!

Just a joke, I'm always in support of exploration. That's why I'm playing CF. No spoon! Though sometimes I yank my hair out in frustration because I don't know how or where to start.

Nivek1Tue 10-May-05 07:00 AM
655 posts
Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author Click to view this author's profile Click to add this author to your buddy list Click to send message via AOL IM
#783, "I kind of like the second one."
In response to Reply #0

As for the first one, they way they have it set up more or less deters anonymous flamers.

Nivek

Top General Discussions New Player Q&A Topic #780 Previous topic | Next topic