Subject: "Edges/Alignment Change" Previous topic | Next topic
Printer-friendly copy Email this topic to a friend CF Website
Top General Discussions New Player Q&A Topic #4626
Show all folders

3 month newb (Anonymous)Mon 28-Nov-16 09:50 PM
Charter member
#4626, "Edges/Alignment Change"

So I finally got an assassin edge at hero, and am starting to grasp the level of advantage edges can produce.

Looking through some 'memorable characters' (or whatever) here. I notice that some of them have 5-6 edges.

From reading I gather that edge points are obtained (since a recent? change) by RP IMM XP, reaching here, commerce, and cabal raids?

Just not understanding what else I could do to gain edge points. I would be satisfied with two edges really, just curious about the process.

I made a balanced ethos/Alignment character for my first character so only cabal I can join is Nexus(which seems largely inactive) without an alignment change.

Which without good RP (suck at RP, no experience with it) has some costs. What are these and is it worth it.

PK is what drew me here and as a rogue I have a lot of pk freedom, but no support and am not getting any RP experience. Also just attacking random people is eventually going to give me a very large list of enemies.

All I got for now.

Alert | IP Printer Friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Reply What a bunch of useless advices, Kstatida, 29-Nov-16 04:34 AM, #3
Reply That's a terrible advice, Boris, Murphy, 29-Nov-16 05:26 AM, #4
     Reply Those are advices, not advice, Kstatida, 29-Nov-16 09:48 AM, #5
          Reply The plural of advice is advice., Murphy, 29-Nov-16 09:51 AM, #6
               Reply One is not enough, sorry NT, Kstatida, 29-Nov-16 03:55 PM, #7
Reply I would strongly advise you to join Battle, Sertius, 28-Nov-16 11:25 PM, #2
Reply RE: Edges/Alignment Change, Murphy, 28-Nov-16 10:52 PM, #1
     Reply Usually Key skills, too, Onewingedangel, 29-Nov-16 07:21 PM, #8
          Reply Some classes lose abilities automatically, Murphy, 29-Nov-16 09:39 PM, #9
               Reply I thought that was race dependant, Kstatida, 30-Nov-16 07:26 AM, #10
                    Reply I swapped align as a felar assassin., Murphy, 30-Nov-16 08:13 AM, #11
                         Reply RE: I swapped align as a felar assassin., 3 month newb (Anonymous), 30-Nov-16 08:39 PM, #12
                              Reply Do what you think will be fun., Murphy, 30-Nov-16 11:35 PM, #13
                              Reply Merc is a lot of fun, Kstatida, 01-Dec-16 01:19 AM, #14
                              Reply Actually, incognito, 04-Dec-16 06:26 AM, #15

KstatidaTue 29-Nov-16 04:34 AM
Member since 12th Feb 2015
2214 posts
Click to send private message to this author Click to add this author to your buddy list
#4629, "What a bunch of useless advices"
In response to Reply #0

1. Don't be afraid of everyone gunning after you.
2. Choose a cabal of your liking (like any)
3. Roleplay their friend - take part in their raids/reraids/fights.

This way everyone will see you as their lackey, and you'll get the action you want and RP. You'll just not get the cabal powers, but who needs those if you're assassin with Nage Waza edge?

The best way for that is Empire. Become their lackey (they LOVE those), get your alignment changed (that'll happen quite quickly if you play an ass), oath - hello you're in a cabal.

MurphyTue 29-Nov-16 05:26 AM
Member since 30th Dec 2010
1639 posts
Click to send private message to this author Click to view this author's profile Click to add this author to your buddy list
#4630, "That's a terrible advice, Boris"
In response to Reply #3

but still better than joining Battle

KstatidaTue 29-Nov-16 09:48 AM
2214 posts
Click to send private message to this author Click to add this author to your buddy list
#4631, "Those are advices, not advice"
In response to Reply #4

Because there were so many.

The better advice would be to reroll, because the original build was obviously meant to have minimum strife through character's life and learn the ropes.

The Empire way fits the lore and is the easiest to go by. Then you rape Tambra over leader position and there we go epic first character.

MurphyTue 29-Nov-16 09:51 AM
1639 posts
Click to send private message to this author Click to view this author's profile Click to add this author to your buddy list
#4632, "The plural of advice is advice."
In response to Reply #5

NT

KstatidaTue 29-Nov-16 03:55 PM
2214 posts
#4633, "One is not enough, sorry NT"
In response to Reply #6

NT

SertiusMon 28-Nov-16 11:25 PM
Member since 17th Nov 2008
360 posts
Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author Click to view this author's profile Click to add this author to your buddy list
#4628, "I would strongly advise you to join Battle"
In response to Reply #0

Hey! Welcome! Since you are a hero, I take it you are not new at mudding. However, in current CF PK world you need to be caballed to enjoy action. Start by killing a mage and talking to Tahren. However, at hero you might first want to talk to mortal or immortal Battle members and weave how you gained enlightenment into village ways only with age into your role. Depending on whether you used magic before, the road might be hard but still possible. And do not do align or ethos change. It will not go well.

MurphyMon 28-Nov-16 10:52 PM
1639 posts
#4627, "RE: Edges/Alignment Change"
In response to Reply #0

A neutral/neutral character isn't limited to Nexus, they can also join Outlander or Herald. Assassins are difficult to fit in Outlander, however.

In theory you could also join Battle, but they are unlikely to be able to accept you if you ever drank a potion in your life.

Herald is your best bet, and you can PK anyone you want as long as you have a reason to do it (explore ideas about what your character hates, or make friends and then help them fight their enemies).

Alignment change: don't. Lots of people will take your "betrayal" as an excuse to kill you, and you will get an extra bad vuln to divine power and probably lose some of your skills too.

On edges: see "help edgepoint specifics". But I wouldn't advise counting on getting many edges. 20-25 used to be the norm for long-lived characters, then the ways to get them were gradually removed, but some of the current characters from the Fifth Age might still have 10+ edges.

OnewingedangelTue 29-Nov-16 07:21 PM
Member since 22nd Jul 2009
447 posts
Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author Click to view this author's profile Click to add this author to your buddy list
#4634, "Usually Key skills, too"
In response to Reply #1

Like warriors lose specs I believe. Assassin probably loses assassinate, stalk, martial trance, or throw. (I know daphadee lost all her spells, right?) So maybe alot more than those lists.

MurphyTue 29-Nov-16 09:39 PM
1639 posts
#4635, "Some classes lose abilities automatically"
In response to Reply #8

All spells and warrior specs, for example.
Assassins don't lose anything automatically, but you can be sure an Imm WILL set some of your key skills to 0.

KstatidaWed 30-Nov-16 07:26 AM
2214 posts
#4636, "I thought that was race dependant"
In response to Reply #9

Like if you're felar assassin - you can switch alignment all you want, noone cares. If you're dark elf assassin, becoming good will screw you.

MurphyWed 30-Nov-16 07:32 AM
1639 posts
#4637, "I swapped align as a felar assassin."
In response to Reply #10
Edited on Wed 30-Nov-16 08:13 AM

Everyone and their mother cared. I even got a negative custom long because that's how much Baer hated me.

Never again.

EDIT: here's a relevant link:
http://forums.carrionfields.com/dc/dcboard.php?az=show_mesg&forum=4&topic_id=101242&mesg_id=101249

3 month newb (Anonymous)Wed 30-Nov-16 08:34 PM
Charter member
#4638, "RE: I swapped align as a felar assassin."
In response to Reply #11
Edited on Wed 30-Nov-16 08:39 PM

So I feel like raiding is huge part of edge XP, but alas I cannot join one I'm interested in joining. No magic/healers seem like a huge disadvantage for me as a new player.

Probably gonna make a goodie assassin and go squire. Plenty of action there.

Probably going to try a religion as well to get some RP under my belt. Any suggestions?

I'll continue to play my hero to get the pk experience, I'm having 100% success at staying alive (for now anyways) and actually landing some kills and learning how go about killing different classes. Though I got some immolation+arcing action at the same time today and was in a world of hurt. Damned mages are tricky when their throats aren't closed 😋

Kinda of aggravating at this point. No one trusts me so I just join on the -odds side to make some fun fair(ish) pk. Might play a Merc role for this character to add some meaning... And get some free stuff/coins lol

MurphyWed 30-Nov-16 11:35 PM
1639 posts
#4639, "Do what you think will be fun."
In response to Reply #12

It's better to play a suboptimal build when you really enjoy the role/concept, than it is to play a powerful but shallow character.

Decide for yourself what creates fun for you, and build around that.

KstatidaThu 01-Dec-16 01:19 AM
2214 posts
#4640, "Merc is a lot of fun"
In response to Reply #12

I've been there. Just make sure you're true to your deals and you'll see A LOT of action, while learning many things on exploring side.

incognitoSun 04-Dec-16 06:26 AM
Member since 04th Mar 2003
4495 posts
Click to add this author to your buddy list
#4641, "Actually"
In response to Reply #12

Village wouldn't be that bad for you. If you go defender when you join you will be able to heal and cure yourself when you have cabal powers, as well as have serious damage reduction. When you don't you can avoid the hopeless fights and handle yourself well against most enemies, plus retrieve silently.

Also bind wounds is pretty decent.

Top General Discussions New Player Q&A Topic #4626 Previous topic | Next topic