Subject: "Stats and shifter forms" Previous topic | Next topic
Printer-friendly copy Email this topic to a friend CF Website
Top General Discussions New Player Q&A Topic #4087
Show all folders

Shift man (Anonymous)Sun 05-May-13 07:04 PM
Charter member
#4087, "Stats and shifter forms"

How do things like +str and +dex work when shifted? Is my understanding correct that if you have +8 dex from gear that will not carry over into form?

So if you are in form and even when you have a bunch of +stat gear on, will things like cranial and impale, etc. decrease your dex based from the baseline of your form (and not count any gear +stats)?

So as a general rule for shifters, different than pretty much all other classes, you want to gear for all +hp and +mana and don't care about the other + or - stats from gear...is this right?

Alert | IP Printer Friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

incognitoMon 06-May-13 03:24 AM
Member since 04th Mar 2003
4495 posts
Click to add this author to your buddy list
#4089, "Don't think that's right"
In response to Reply #0

I don't play shifters but my understanding was that they were changed and that stats (+dex, -svs etc.) DO matter in form now. Only progs don't, I think.

KalageadonMon 06-May-13 04:43 PM
Member since 23rd Oct 2003
1041 posts
Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author Click to view this author's profile Click to add this author to your buddy list
#4090, "I'll second this."
In response to Reply #1

This is correct to the best of my knowledge. If you are wearing +stat gear then it will give the bonus regardless of form, human or beast, but the thing that changes are the base stat values ie. your tigers base stats are different than your gnomes. Having said that, not all stats work this way fully.

There are some gray areas in that, +wis gear, for example, will not translate to added practices when you rank in form where as it will if you rank as whatever humanoid you pick ie gnome/human etc.

An example of some of the above could be like if you have +5 str in form you should have base form str with a little (5) next to it saying that you have an overage of +5. If you are hit with a maldict that saps 4 then you still throw out the same damage as you normally would because the str gear prevents damage loss by str but, there are also grey areas in that some skills seem to have more effect on the body than simply -str or -dex. Hurl could be a good example of one of these skills which hurling at someones legs seems to hurt their dodging even if they have max stats otherwise.

Gearing for Hp is still a good idea but +physical stats and saves are also viable options depending on how you like to play.

Disclaimer:
The above is based off of my experience in playing shifters and of course reading lots of gameplay questions concerning things like this.

vargalMon 06-May-13 05:43 PM
Member since 07th Apr 2004
384 posts
Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author Click to add this author to your buddy list
#4091, "Explicitly:"
In response to Reply #2

Shapeshifter level gains are based only on their unshifted stats, which will only include gear if you are in your unshifted form. This applies to Wisdom, Int and Con and thus can influence HP, Mana and Practice gains.

DurNominatorTue 07-May-13 12:54 PM
Member since 08th Nov 2004
2018 posts
Click to send private message to this author Click to add this author to your buddy list
#4093, "hitroll/damroll does not carry over either."
In response to Reply #1

nor do resists and vulns that are not in affects list.

Top General Discussions New Player Q&A Topic #4087 Previous topic | Next topic