Subject: "Limited Item Cheating (?)" Previous topic | Next topic
Printer-friendly copy Email this topic to a friend CF Website
Top General Discussions New Player Q&A Topic #3623
Show all folders

JoeCloud (NOT Player)Tue 08-Nov-11 01:51 PM
Charter member
Edited on Tue 08-Nov-11 01:53 PM

I do not like hoarding--in fact, I typically drop or sell rare items my character doesn't use. Partly due to the fact that I tend to play dodgy characters and keep my weight very low. Given that...

Suppose I have two characters, A and B. Character A manages to get a "Famous" item via PK or otherwise that he doesn't entirely need. It's decent, but far better used by Character B. If I sacrifice said item, delete Character A, or otherwise destroy it, is it considered cheating to log on to Character B and kill the mob that rarely has it in?

EDIT: Looks like I messed up somehow with the anonymous posting. Ah, well, I don't intend to cheat which is why I asked first to check.

Alert | IP Printer Friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Reply HELP MULTICHARRING, Nreykre, 08-Nov-11 03:37 PM, #3
Reply Sharing OOC information, JoeCloud, 08-Nov-11 03:50 PM, #4
Reply The easiest answer..., Twist, 09-Nov-11 09:15 AM, #6
Reply The problem with this, incognito, 10-Nov-11 02:37 PM, #7
     Reply Nicely put, thank you. (n/t), JoeCloud, 10-Nov-11 07:37 PM, #8
Reply Yeah, that's the problem with multiple chars., lasentia, 09-Nov-11 09:14 AM, #5
Reply Generally speaking if you have to ask, the answer is "d..., Homard, 08-Nov-11 02:24 PM, #2
Reply RE: Limited Item Cheating (?), The-me, 08-Nov-11 01:58 PM, #1

NreykreTue 08-Nov-11 03:37 PM
Member since 05th Apr 2011
90 posts
Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author Click to view this author's profile Click to add this author to your buddy list
#3626, "HELP MULTICHARRING"
In response to Reply #0

Quote the rules: "Multi-charring is ALSO any sharing of Out Of character (OOC) information or equipment with another character you are also play on CF."

If I was you I'd just go ahead and tell myself that legendary item is probably maxxed like it always is so why bother checking, thus guaranteeing I stayed out of trouble.

JoeCloudTue 08-Nov-11 03:50 PM
Member since 14th Nov 2004
36 posts
Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author Click to add this author to your buddy list
#3627, "Sharing OOC information"
In response to Reply #3

I find it hard to understand sharing absolutely NO information between characters. Obviously as I play the MUD more each successive character has a greater area knowledge than previous characters. Also, if I fight a player with one character, do I walk into him with another character not "knowing" what gear he has or how he tends to fight? The simplest solution seems to be not playing more than one character at a time, but the rules are fairly open there.

I had a situation where Character A was checking a certain mob for an item every time he logged in. Character B passed by there and saw the item was in. I felt that since I "knew" it was in I shouldn't go by there with Character A, even though it was my habit to do so.

TwistWed 09-Nov-11 09:15 AM
Member since 23rd Sep 2006
3431 posts
Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author Click to view this author's profile Click to add this author to your buddy list
#3632, "The easiest answer..."
In response to Reply #4

is to be absolutely 100% honest with yourself when you ask the question "Would this character do 'X' (whatever X is) if it was my only char I was playing right now?"

If you can honestly say yes, then do it. If you find yourself making justifications, then don't do it.

Or...you know...just play one character at a time.

incognitoThu 10-Nov-11 02:37 PM
Member since 04th Mar 2003
4495 posts
Click to add this author to your buddy list
#3634, "The problem with this"
In response to Reply #4

You clearly wanted the item with character A.

So when character B discovers it is in, do you not feel the temptation to log on character A and go grab it?

Even if character A always checks the mob, there's no guarantee you'd have played character A at the point in time you need to collect the item that character B saw. If character B hadn't seen the item, you might have carried on playing with B for longer. Long enough for someone else to grab that item.

JoeCloudThu 10-Nov-11 07:37 PM
Member since 14th Nov 2004
36 posts
Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author Click to add this author to your buddy list
#3635, "Nicely put, thank you. (n/t)"
In response to Reply #7

(n/t)

lasentiaWed 09-Nov-11 09:14 AM
Member since 27th Apr 2010
987 posts
#3631, "Yeah, that's the problem with multiple chars."
In response to Reply #3

It's hard to keep that divide of not having knowledge transfer over between them. It can be done, but it's a fine line that a lot of times is not worth walking.

We all come across sweet pieces of gear we can't use with our char, but we just have to let it go knowing someone else will get it.

Or take it and hold it to keep enemies from using it against you of course. Saccing an evil's thing, they can usually just go regather it far more easily than a goodie who has to use request, because he can not respawn the mob to get rid of the illusionary item where as the evil can.

But yeah, just don't do it. Sac the item if you want, but stay hands off it unless it has been a long while. I'd say minimum 48 hours, and even then, you might get in trouble. If it is a very rare piece in a low traffic remote area, maybe wait weeks before even checking. Probably better off PKing someone for it after they get it really

HomardTue 08-Nov-11 02:24 PM
Member since 10th Apr 2010
959 posts
#3625, "Generally speaking if you have to ask, the answer is "d..."
In response to Reply #0

n/t

The-meTue 08-Nov-11 01:58 PM
Member since 14th Jun 2011
333 posts
#3624, "RE: Limited Item Cheating (?)"
In response to Reply #0

Yes its cheating, Yes if its legendary they will probably notice. Yes I've contemplated it, also I think I've been killing certain mobs for practice and they dropped some gear, so I sacced the gear and came back later to check the mob for the gear, probably cheating too.

Top General Discussions New Player Q&A Topic #3623 Previous topic | Next topic