Subject: "Dealing with centurions?" Previous topic | Next topic
Printer-friendly copy Email this topic to a friend CF Website
Top General Discussions New Player Q&A Topic #3515
Show all folders

Ayathkiran (Anonymous)Thu 06-Oct-11 10:19 PM
Charter member
#3515, "Dealing with centurions?"

I ran into a situation today where I was trapped by Centurions, in a dead end zone. I had no means of return - I was on my way to purchase a potion of returning when trapped. The RP of my character dictates I would NEVER pay them, and the centurions con as hooded to me. I could not quit in the zone I was trapped within, and with the pitiful player count there is no one online that I can appeal to for assistance. I was in no danger from agents of empire, it was just out of PK range harassment. What's the right thing to do here? My character wouldnt kill himself, which is what fighting 2 creatures 30 ranks(?) higher than me equates to. Is this working as intended? Is the right course to just wait in a zone doing nothing until someone logs on I can beg to help me???? If that is the correct action, I'm sorry maybe Carrion Fields isnt the right game for me.

Alert | IP Printer Friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Reply Either, incognito, 07-Oct-11 08:20 PM, #6
Reply I'm left to speculate, but., Homard, 07-Oct-11 06:28 AM, #4
Reply RE: Dealing with centurions?, Daevryn, 07-Oct-11 12:33 AM, #3
Reply Have you already asked every non-Imperial hero?, DurNominator, 07-Oct-11 12:04 AM, #2
Reply Why not ask Baerinika or someone to save you?, Artificial, 06-Oct-11 10:26 PM, #1
     Reply RE: Why not ask Baerinika or someone to save you?, Isildur, 07-Oct-11 12:36 PM, #5
          Reply RE: Why not ask Baerinika or someone to save you?, Ayathkiran (Anonymous), 08-Oct-11 02:36 PM, #7
               Reply Perhaps you should re-read my post, incognito, 08-Oct-11 03:21 PM, #8
               Reply Keep of the Righteous, Twist, 08-Oct-11 04:00 PM, #9
               Reply I wouldn't recommend the IC pray, by the way, incognito, 08-Oct-11 06:58 PM, #10
                    Reply RE: I wouldn't recommend the IC pray, by the way, Rayihn, 08-Oct-11 08:06 PM, #11

incognitoFri 07-Oct-11 08:20 PM
Member since 04th Mar 2003
4495 posts
Click to add this author to your buddy list
#3523, "Either"
In response to Reply #0

a) you're lying
b) you're VERY unlucky (since few places genuinely seal you in
c) Most likely, you didn't realise you were not, in fact, sealed in.

But ultimately, you must have set out without a potion to begin with.

On eastern, there are hidden exits.

In Keep of the Righteous, there's a hidden exit.

Anywhere else... why aren't you carrying a potion again? It's like you got cursed by a necromancer and then complain that you couldn't successfully go and buy yourself a teleport potion.

HomardFri 07-Oct-11 06:28 AM
Member since 10th Apr 2010
959 posts
Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author Click to view this author's profile Click to add this author to your buddy list
#3521, "I'm left to speculate, but."
In response to Reply #0

So, let's assume you're an evil (WANTED) conjie Scion wannabe and there's enough Imperials around that evil tips. You can't ask Fort because you're evil, can't ask Battle because you're a filthy mage, can't ask Nexus because evil tips, can't ask Outtie because you're a conjie, can't ask Trib because you're wanted.

Pray. Pray to whichever ears are listening. Pray payment in the future, a piece of your soul, a piece of someone else's soul, gold, whatever.

If you're lucky you'll get some wicked IMMteraction. If you're unlucky, you're just back where you started.

Also, I'm assuming that you weren't in Imperial Lands if you were going to get a potion of return. If you were up there, there's little chance of escape (welcome to the pain of being a Villager.) If you were in one of the other places where it *seems* like you might be trapped by Centurions, there was probably a hidden exit you might not be aware of.

It's entirely possible that you were legitimately trapped, but in many parts of Thera you can shove the bushes aside and find an old path if you're willing to get a little dirty.

DaevrynFri 07-Oct-11 12:33 AM
Member since 13th Feb 2007
11117 posts
Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author Click to view this author's profile Click to add this author to your buddy list
#3519, "RE: Dealing with centurions?"
In response to Reply #0

Imperial Lands are about the only place that could be. There's not many other places with roads that there isn't another way out of.

I recommend not going into Imperial Lands without a return potion and probably a teleport potion as a character who is completely unwilling to pay Centurions to preserve his life.

This is a game where a character's particular ethics can often create a situation in which they will die. The Battle cabal is the most obvious example of this, but not the only example. This is part of the fun and challenge of playing a character with an inflexible moral code. If you don't yet feel up to the mechanical challenges and hardships of playing such a character, you might enjoy a more morally flexible character for now.

Not even every character in an opposing cabal or alignment should necessarily be unwilling to pay Centurions to pass them undetected. Books and films are full of heroic characters doing sneaky things, disguising themselves, or paying bribes to execute covert operations at to their enemies' detriment.

DurNominatorFri 07-Oct-11 12:04 AM
Member since 08th Nov 2004
2018 posts
Click to send private message to this author Click to add this author to your buddy list
#3518, "Have you already asked every non-Imperial hero?"
In response to Reply #0

Empire is hated by a lot of people IC. You should have asked every non-imperial hero. Maybe a mage could word you home? Every mage in the game that is up to rank 29 or above should be able to help you this way. Maybe ask BattleRagers or Fortress to come to your aid? If you are not a mage or obviously evil. Perhaps ask the Imperials for a return potion? If they don't want to help you leave, you could rank in the Imperial Palace, killing Imperial Vanquishers in order to perfect skills and get xp (providing that you are of high enough level to do it safely. Just flee and rest if you get hurt). You could also give the imperials lengthy moral lectures about your ideals. The idea is that they prefer you not being in the Imperial Lands and too start to want you out of there.

If the situation is ####ty and you can't play, you can also quit by dropping link if you have no way of getting out of there after trying everything, then play later. It is generally frowned upon by staff and players, but if you have to go IRL, then you have to go.

ArtificialThu 06-Oct-11 10:26 PM
Member since 22nd Apr 2008
1180 posts
#3516, "Why not ask Baerinika or someone to save you?"
In response to Reply #0

Situation: I made a big mistake by not carrying a return potion in the imperial lands. I also have rp restrictions against paying centurions, and against suicide. I am also the ONLY person online, apparently; There are no outlanders I can lie to and say the imperials kidnapped me or something, I am not a goodie, or there are no goodies on at all who would gladly help me, and there is no one to bribe at all.

I am gonna go out on a limb and say you're either lying or you dont want to interact with people you arent comfortable with.

Regardless, assuming ALL these things are true, try praying ICly and ask for help.

IsildurFri 07-Oct-11 12:36 PM
5969 posts
#3522, "RE: Why not ask Baerinika or someone to save you?"
In response to Reply #1

Or just disconnect and void out. Next time you log on, maybe someone will be online who can help you. Or, attack the centurions and die. Your character has a hangup about suicide; that doesn't necessarily mean he has a hangup about going out in a blaze of glory.

Ayathkiran (Anonymous)Sat 08-Oct-11 02:36 PM
Charter member
#3524, "RE: Why not ask Baerinika or someone to save you?"
In response to Reply #5

>Or just disconnect and void out. Next time you log on, maybe
>someone will be online who can help you. Or, attack the
>centurions and die. Your character has a hangup about
>suicide; that doesn't necessarily mean he has a hangup about
>going out in a blaze of glory.

Thank you all for the replies, sorry if I was a little melodramatic, it's aggravating as all get out to be just starting out, never have interacted with a cabal and get an out of pk range harassment like that. It's clear to me that there were several viable options for escape and I wasnt thorough enough in my research. I'll reply here in no particular order to the comments.

I'd like to say I dont think the tone of "you're a liar" is really appropriate, I was wrong, but through ignorance not deceit. I didnt lie about the RP of my character, I desperately wanted to just pay them and be through, I explored the area, sent tells out, waited about hoping someone else would log on I could ask, etc.

I was in the fortress of light, as the gates of hamsah were locked I was heading to Hamsah to purchase a return, as I stated in my original post, I had just used mine. I've since explored the river and found that I can enter hamsah at night, so as to avoid being stuck this way again. I also now know that these can be purchased in Galadon I also see now that this is in fact not a dead end zone and has a secret exit. I'd walked around and hadnt seen an obvious exit, and assumed incorrectly.

I wasnt aware that mages could use word on others, thank you for this it would have likely solved my problem. There were mages on between 30 and 40th rank I would have appealed to, who I didnt think could defeat such high level centurions.

I thought that imperial lands were similar to other cabals and that I would either be blocked from entry or attacked by a guardian(taking this from what I see in the combat logs of people raiding cabals, massive guardians who seem to pack a lot more punch than a level 15 can handle.) I guess I'll head in and explore, though that mindset is what resulted in my needing a new return potion

To a certain extent I was reluctant to speak with random players, there were two hero level players on whom I believed their ethos/alignment would make it likely they would assist me but I wasnt able to reach one "your message didnt get through" and the other logged off as I tried to appeal to him for aid. I could have sent random other tells out to players, but the player who placed the centurions was a hero, and I'm not sure how their level would relate to their creators, I assumed they are similar.

I had though if appealing IC on pray, but I went the route of dropping link as I didnt want to get into a situation at such a low rank that would negatively impact my character long term. Ie a bargain with a devil or such.

Again, thanks for the responses and I appreciate the opportunity to discuss this on a ooc forum to get insight into ways to resolve IC situations.

incognitoSat 08-Oct-11 03:20 PM
4495 posts
#3525, "Perhaps you should re-read my post"
In response to Reply #7
Edited on Sat 08-Oct-11 03:21 PM

It said EITHER you are a liar or... and then went on to list alternatives.

It did not say "You are a liar".

Moreover, it said that one of the OTHER options seemed the most likely. i.e. that you probably were not lying.

TwistSat 08-Oct-11 04:00 PM
Member since 23rd Sep 2006
3431 posts
#3526, "Keep of the Righteous"
In response to Reply #7

I assume you mean this, not the Fortress of Light.

There is a hidden exit out of the Keep of the Righteous area that you can find relatively easily by using the LOOK command in all directions when exploring. We certainly wouldn't purposely have an area that close to Imperial Lands that had only one exit that could be blocked off by Centurions.

FYI this hidden exit is relatively well known by the playerbase and if you had asked around I'm fairly sure you would have found someone who could have told you about it.

incognitoSat 08-Oct-11 06:58 PM
4495 posts
#3527, "I wouldn't recommend the IC pray, by the way"
In response to Reply #7

It's a thin line for an imm to walk to get people around centurions. It would only be a matter of time before they do it in a way that makes people complain.

RayihnSat 08-Oct-11 08:06 PM
Member since 08th Oct 2006
1147 posts
#3528, "RE: I wouldn't recommend the IC pray, by the way"
In response to Reply #10

Yeah if I'm around and clearly newbsauce #256 prays cause he's stuck in the bowels of the earth and has no idea what to do, I will probably send him a potion of return and echo him that it's in his best interest to spend his next action finding potions of return on his own and keeping one on him at all times. If you're not a newbie? Well...I wouldn't act on it OOC. IC...hmm. I might make a suggestion as an omnipotent being "maybe you should ask xx paladin or herald or Acolyte".

Top General Discussions New Player Q&A Topic #3515 Previous topic | Next topic