Subject: "Siteban For Spamming:(" Previous topic | Next topic
Printer-friendly copy Email this topic to a friend CF Website
Top General Discussions New Player Q&A Topic #3160
Show all folders

KarsonWeltyCSTMon 21-Mar-11 12:18 AM
Member since 05th Nov 2010
2 posts
Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author Click to view this author's profile Click to add this author to your buddy list
#3160, "Siteban For Spamming:("

I got pissed last night after Niruyo got jumped by the gank squad, and rage deleted. I logged on as a new char to ask a question...Thirty-eight people were logged on and no one answered the question. I asked it a few times, prayed it, as well, and waited patiently, at first. So, after a few minutes of no one responding, and being livid from Niruyo's death I spammed the question to a random person, which, I admit, was stupid. I'm assuming since I was baned an IMM was on...Why didn't they answer? Not very newbie friendly to not answer a simple legit newbie question. I wanted to know if half-elves could wear elf armor. I was contemplating my next build at the time. Anyways, I never read the helpfile on spamming, had I known that it would have led to me being baned, I wouldn't have done it. I'm wondering if the ban can be lifted? I was just starting to get a hang of things here, and really enjoy playing CF, and have no prior complaints against me. Today was a really horrible day IRL for me, which isn't an excuse. I read the helpfile on webpage and it says siteban is the worst punishment, and seeing as I only did it once I think its excessive. I'll be a good little nerd if you guys will let me log back on.

Karson

Alert | IP Printer Friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Reply RE: Siteban For Spamming:(, Daevryn, 21-Mar-11 07:41 PM, #7
Reply The reason you were banned, incognito, 21-Mar-11 01:59 PM, #4
Reply Yep, MoetEtChandon, 21-Mar-11 03:35 PM, #6
Reply RE: Siteban For Spamming:(, Zulghinlour, 21-Mar-11 10:41 AM, #2
Reply Automated bans for spamming. That was a great idea., Quixotic, 21-Mar-11 12:49 PM, #3
     Reply It's funny that you mention that, MoetEtChandon, 21-Mar-11 03:40 PM, #5
Reply Why don't you try asking such questions in the forums?, DurNominator, 21-Mar-11 02:49 AM, #1

DaevrynMon 21-Mar-11 07:41 PM
Member since 13th Feb 2007
11117 posts
Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author Click to view this author's profile Click to add this author to your buddy list
#3172, "RE: Siteban For Spamming:("
In response to Reply #0

The answer to your original question is no, by the way.

incognitoMon 21-Mar-11 01:59 PM
Member since 04th Mar 2003
4495 posts
Click to add this author to your buddy list
#3168, "The reason you were banned"
In response to Reply #0

There's a tool who logs on periodically and spams everyone over and over, so there's code to automatically ban anyone who spams either a channel or a character. You activated that code by spamming someone.

Typically if no one answers on the newbie channel it's because no one knows the answer, or because of the way you presented the question. (If you come across as whining, people won't answer.)

MoetEtChandonMon 21-Mar-11 03:35 PM
Member since 26th Jul 2010
293 posts
#3170, "Yep"
In response to Reply #4

I will always answer a question if I have anything meaningful to add, unless I am just too occupied doing other things.

I know I am not alone in that, people typically are very helpful.

ZulghinlourMon 21-Mar-11 10:41 AM
Member since 04th Mar 2003
9792 posts
#3162, "RE: Siteban For Spamming:("
In response to Reply #0

>I'm assuming since I was baned an IMM was on...Why
>didn't they answer?

And therein lies your problem. You assumed an Imm was on. They weren't. You were auto-denied and auto-banned for being a dumbass.

>I known that it would have led to me being baned, I wouldn't
>have done it.

Ignorance of the rules isn't an excuse. Read the rules.

>I'm wondering if the ban can be lifted?

Maybe when you cool down. Send me a mail in a few days.

So long, and thanks for all the fish!

QuixoticMon 21-Mar-11 12:49 PM
Member since 09th Feb 2006
830 posts
Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author Click to add this author to your buddy list
#3164, "Automated bans for spamming. That was a great idea."
In response to Reply #2

Of course, we all know who necessitated that idea's implementation.

Hopefully I never screw up a prompt trigger and cause an infinite loop, heh.

MoetEtChandonMon 21-Mar-11 03:31 PM
Member since 26th Jul 2010
293 posts
#3169, "It's funny that you mention that"
In response to Reply #3
Edited on Mon 21-Mar-11 03:40 PM

After my last return from a (prolonged) hiatus, I had to rebuild my scripts and rolled a throwaway character to build and test a few things. Sadly, I made a mistake and ended up spamming bad script code onto the Mud, which prompted an Imm to come check on me.

As it was unintended, he saw the humor of the situation and left me alone, so that was cool.

DurNominatorMon 21-Mar-11 02:48 AM
Member since 08th Nov 2004
2018 posts
Click to send private message to this author Click to add this author to your buddy list
#3161, "Why don't you try asking such questions in the forums?"
In response to Reply #0
Edited on Mon 21-Mar-11 02:49 AM

If you don't have an elf only item, then the question isn't so acute that you need to bother others in the game to ask that IC. If you do have it, try wearing it and see if it falls off. Asking in the forums, however, doesn't bother people's immersion.

Top General Discussions New Player Q&A Topic #3160 Previous topic | Next topic