Subject: "Dual wield vs 2 handed weapons..." Previous topic | Next topic
Printer-friendly copy Email this topic to a friend CF Website
Top General Discussions New Player Q&A Topic #3065
Show all folders

StillANewb (Anonymous)Wed 12-Jan-11 05:58 PM
Charter member
#3065, "Dual wield vs 2 handed weapons..."

I have the feeling I will generaly do more damage when dual wielding than when using 2hand weapons but I'd like to know if I understands the mechanics correctly...

Here's how I see it:

1) I use 2 swords with average 20. Assuming I have dualwield at 100% and second attack don't lauch, I should do around 40 dam?

2) Same scenario with a spear with 30 dam, I should do only around 30?

3) If dualwielding usually does more damage, am I right to suppose players (except felar) will usually use spear/staff because the inability of their opponment to parry this specific type weapon? Maybe also because those weapons may reduce damage because of the parry and evade bonus?

4) Last question would be about 2hand swords. I don't see any advantage to use them (assuming my foe also use swords) unless it does more damage than the amount I would do while dualwielding 2 swords (ex 2hand sword with 30 dam vs dualwielding 2 swords with 10 dam)... am I missing something about 2hand swords mechanics?

Thank you for your answers.

Alert | IP Printer Friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

incognitoSun 06-Feb-11 07:27 PM
Member since 04th Mar 2003
4495 posts
Click to add this author to your buddy list
#3080, "RE: Dual wield vs 2 handed weapons..."
In response to Reply #0

>I have the feeling I will generaly do more damage when dual
>wielding than when using 2hand weapons but I'd like to know if
>I understands the mechanics correctly...
>
>Here's how I see it:
>
>1) I use 2 swords with average 20. Assuming I have dualwield
>at 100% and second attack don't lauch, I should do around 40
>dam?
>

I THINK it is a bit less, because most skills are not guaranteed to succeed even at 100%. However, dual wield might be an exception, in which case you'd be right IF you had no +dam and IF you are not coming up against a vulnerability or resistance.

>2) Same scenario with a spear with 30 dam, I should do only
>around 30?
>

Assuming no +dam, vuln, resist, yes.

>3) If dualwielding usually does more damage, am I right to
>suppose players (except felar) will usually use spear/staff
>because the inability of their opponment to parry this
>specific type weapon? Maybe also because those weapons may
>reduce damage because of the parry and evade bonus?
>

It depends. Some characters will use these weapons because of the fact that you can defensive spin even if you are not specced. When hasted (e.g. Transmuter) that's significant.

Some will use it because they spear/staff is very very nice (eg. wood elf ranger, since they get bonuses to the staff they fashion and the magic they imbue it with).

However, some people will just use it for the "hard to parry" reason you cite. e.g. If you are going to bash down an ap or a non skrugga orc, you might well wield a staff, because a 3 (say) attacks that are hard to parry may well be better than 6 which are not so hard.

>4) Last question would be about 2hand swords. I don't see any
>advantage to use them (assuming my foe also use swords) unless
>it does more damage than the amount I would do while
>dualwielding 2 swords (ex 2hand sword with 30 dam vs
>dualwielding 2 swords with 10 dam)... am I missing something
>about 2hand swords mechanics?
>

Generally speaking, I don't think a normal sized race would favour a 2h sword, even though I BELIEVE that they get a bonus to parry. However, a giant size race can wield a 2h sword in each hand, and that might be useful for other reasons.

>Thank you for your answers.
>
>
As a felar, I did find wielding unconventional 2h weapons useful. For example, my felar wielded a powerful 2h mace, with claws. Not that many felar consider anything beyond spear/staff as a 2h weapon.
>

EskelianTue 15-Feb-11 01:56 PM
Member since 04th Mar 2003
2023 posts
Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author Click to view this author's profile Click to add this author to your buddy list
#3096, "RE: Dual wield vs 2 handed weapons..."
In response to Reply #2

I'm pretty sure 2h swords do not get any bonuses to parry or to damage over 1h swords. I used to think the same thing but I believe Nep or one of the other imms dispelled that myth.

TsunamiWed 12-Jan-11 07:01 PM
Member since 25th Mar 2008
1509 posts
Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author Click to view this author's profile Click to add this author to your buddy list
#3066, "Some answers and a question."
In response to Reply #0

It's safe to assume you will be doing more damage dual wielding than using a 2hand in straight melee.

Giants, however, can use 2 handed weapons (swords, axes, maces) in one hand. So they find use there.

Paladins have a dedication for 2handed weapons.

2handed weapons parry better (I think(Maybe 2hand paladin only))

---------------

A non felar warrior spear spec is still useful. Impale for one. Unconventional lag moves (ie. misdirect, legsweep, leveraged kick). I don't know the specific lag on each. Leveraged kick doesn't always lag when it hits.

This basically goes the same for all 2hand weapons. You won't do as much damage in straight melee, but you get some pretty sweet skills for polearms and spears. Even if you aren't specced "charge" can be fun. Thrust and pierce I find useful for ranking. Pierce makes mobs easier to hit (lowers dex yeah?) and thrust is a two round move that does damage and feints.

----------------

Something like last week an immortal pointed out that it didn't say anything about weapon weights in parry helpfile, therefore weapon weights do not matter. Is this true? I had the understanding that lighter weapons parried slightly, perhaps very slightly, better than heavier weapons.

Top General Discussions New Player Q&A Topic #3065 Previous topic | Next topic