Subject: "Question about RP." Previous topic | Next topic
Printer-friendly copy Email this topic to a friend CF Website
Top General Discussions New Player Q&A Topic #266
Show all folders

kellog (inactive user)Thu 09-Oct-03 12:43 AM
Charter member

Where is the great RP on CF? Is anyone doing anything past the
token "stay ic" (I'm guilty of this too). Are cabals anything
except reciting definition style questions?

I want to see something more then the homicidal maniac role somewhere.. does it exist?

Alert | IP Printer Friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

HuttoThu 09-Oct-03 03:02 PM
Member since 04th Mar 2003
234 posts
Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author Click to view this author's profile Click to add this author to your buddy list
#271, "RE: Question about RP."
In response to Reply #0

>I want to see something more then the homicidal maniac role
>somewhere.. does it exist?

Click me

P.S. It is called "Carrion Fields" for a reason.

Hutto, the Sleepy Nitpicker

'Sorry, I'm not 72323slhlst. Or however you say Elite'
-Vynmylak

incognitoThu 09-Oct-03 06:54 AM
Member since 04th Mar 2003
4495 posts
Click to add this author to your buddy list
#270, "yep, all over the place"
In response to Reply #0

But to address something first, "staying ic" is TOTALLY the essence of rp. If you are always "in character", you are always acting how your character would act. That's rp.

As for non-homicidal maniacs, you've got a wide variety of types of character. If you actually talk to them in a non-offensive manner, you might find out a bit more about that "homicidal maniac" who just killed you.

For example, I had a character who tried (somewhat successfully) to control the bounty hunting business. He was supposed to be harsh but fair, and was totally honest because he needed his clients to trust him. But more than just a personality type, he had a role that I could really envisage and try to live. He had employees to worry about, customers, friends, enemies, and business associates.

You might consider him a homicidal maniac because he didn't have many qualms about killing someone he didn't know if it advanced his mercenary company (whether by reputation, equipment or skills), but equally he'd not bother current customers. However, he sometimes tried to save people's lives if there was no profit for the company in them dying. He kept his clients confidential (eg I had thieves pay me to kill off other thieves of a matter of the guild, yet the target was allowed to believe it was his own cabal that wanted him dead, which sparked a bit of political turmoil there).

I think this was my favorite character because his role seemed totally feasible to me. There are lots of other people with similar sorts of roles -- thieves that control a black market, bards that spread imperial proganda by painting instead of just songs etc.

There was Constance who was a prudish paladin trib who used to have issues with the debauchery that was the inn (in her eyes), Satinka who ended up being reduced to a childlike mind etc etc. I could go on with a longer list but I won't. Suffice to say that you get a lot of conjurers who have named their familiars and use these in their rp too (eg they'll make their familiar do things and respond to it as if their familiar really was acting up).

Top General Discussions New Player Q&A Topic #266 Previous topic | Next topic