Subject: "Giants" Previous topic | Next topic
Printer-friendly copy Email this topic to a friend CF Website
Top General Discussions New Player Q&A Topic #2615
Show all folders

BlkdrgnFri 19-Mar-10 10:58 PM
Member since 19th Mar 2010
293 posts
Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author Click to view this author's profile Click to add this author to your buddy list
#2615, "Giants"

Why do two giants out of three have vulnerabilities but the goodie one doesn't? Also why are wrath and frost easily obtained at young levels that can harm these giants with vulns?

Alert | IP Printer Friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Reply RE: Giants, incognito, 20-Mar-10 06:42 PM, #2
Reply RE: Giants, Valguarnera, 20-Mar-10 06:56 AM, #1
     Reply RE: Giants, Sarien, 15-Jun-10 03:06 PM, #3
          Reply They have one more vuln than fire giants..., Twist, 15-Jun-10 04:03 PM, #4
               Reply RE: They have one more vuln than fire giants..., Sarien, 16-Jun-10 02:13 PM, #5
               Reply Twist... , TJHuron, 24-Jun-10 02:09 AM, #6
                    Reply Well fly is a biggie, yeah..., Twist, 24-Jun-10 10:39 AM, #7

incognitoSat 20-Mar-10 06:42 PM
Member since 04th Mar 2003
4495 posts
Click to add this author to your buddy list
#2617, "RE: Giants"
In response to Reply #0

Cold vuln is incredibly easy to cover.

ValguarneraSat 20-Mar-10 06:56 AM
Member since 04th Mar 2003
6904 posts
Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author Click to add this author to your buddy list
#2616, "RE: Giants"
In response to Reply #0
Edited on Sat 20-Mar-10 06:56 AM

Superior attribute distribution is high on my list. Keep in mind that all attributes are somewhat non-linear at the high-end-- a 24 or 25 STR is much better than a 23.

Beyond that, being evil (or neutral, to a lesser extent) allows you more freedom of action than being good-aligned. The ability to lie, steal, and betray with impunity doesn't show up on a fire giant's "score", but it's generally an overall advantage in practice.

valguarnera@carrionfields.com

SarienTue 15-Jun-10 03:06 PM
Member since 14th Feb 2009
740 posts
Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author Click to view this author's profile Click to add this author to your buddy list
#2668, "RE: Giants"
In response to Reply #1

I'm going to ask you a question mr. V. I have pondered this for a LOOONG long time, but never asked.

What is the justification of cloud giants having 3 vulns. I realize they get perm-flight (somewhat handy)...and that IMO would justify an extra vuln..but 3 vulns seems a bit steep a price to pay.

Especially when they are the following vulns

Divine - (who can't find a wrath weapon, I'd wager someone 20 hrs into their first char has one)

Disease - (Shamans/AP's/Necro's have this on tap..ouch)

Mental - (Shamans/Bards/Trannies have this on tap...)

It just seems a bit extreme counter-balance to their inherent flight, and I wondered if any of you (big guys) thought it was a bit over the top as well.

TwistTue 15-Jun-10 04:03 PM
Member since 23rd Sep 2006
3431 posts
#2669, "They have one more vuln than fire giants..."
In response to Reply #3

...to counteract inherent flight.

Fire giants: vuln cold, vuln mental, resist physical, resist fire
Cloud giants: vuln positive/negative, vuln mental, resist physical, resist cold, fly, vuln disease

Yes, positive/negative is easier to get than cold, but it's also harder to have "on a stick" than cold damage.

I think if you asked any fire giant (esp. a rager one) if they'd like to trade gaining perma-fly for gaining a vuln to disease, they'd probably say yes. I would, at least.

SarienWed 16-Jun-10 02:13 PM
Member since 14th Feb 2009
740 posts
#2670, "RE: They have one more vuln than fire giants..."
In response to Reply #4

The vuln I am complaining about isn't the disease vuln. Its the positive/negative. The only other race that has this vuln (that I am aware of) are duergar...and they get detect hidden. I was just saying when you add up the three vulns a cloud giant has

Postive/Negative
Disease
Mental

They seem staggering compared to other races...you best watch the #### out for the shaman who is wielding a wrathing weapon

-Sarien

TJHuronThu 24-Jun-10 02:09 AM
Member since 28th Nov 2007
1132 posts
Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author Click to add this author to your buddy list
#2679, "Twist... "
In response to Reply #4

You did amazing with a cloud rager. You did better than everyone. According to the stats provided on Dio's website. Which are the only stats I have access to.

8 out of 10 cloud giants were ragers, pk wise. What is the correlation? I do not know. My guess its neutrality and flying, great for ragers.

I would make a guess that says most people would sacrifice flying for the vuln wrath instead of disease.

TwistThu 24-Jun-10 10:39 AM
Member since 23rd Sep 2006
3431 posts
#2685, "Well fly is a biggie, yeah..."
In response to Reply #6

...but also consider that as a neutral rager, your enemies are much slimmer than an evil rager. And a goodie rager is hard to play (what to do about elf mage?)

So by that, a neutral rager can keep a good set longer than an evil rager, in most cases, because while he might have empire/scion/nexus ganks to deal with, he doesn't have fortress ganks thrown into the mix.

Also not being a dwarf/mino neutral means less enemies, too.

But yeah - imperial fire giants wielding armageddon hurt lots.

Top General Discussions New Player Q&A Topic #2615 Previous topic | Next topic