Subject: "Wood-Elves" Previous topic | Next topic
Printer-friendly copy Email this topic to a friend CF Website
Top General Discussions New Player Q&A Topic #2462
Show all folders

ilanthasMon 22-Jun-09 08:46 AM
Member since 26th Apr 2009
15 posts
Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author Click to view this author's profile Click to add this author to your buddy list
#2462, "Wood-Elves"

Hello Everyone,
I would love to play a wood-elf ranger but the whole neutral thing has got me a little nervous. I would probably end up losing my spells or something for playing them more or less good. There are somethings I just dont see a wood-elf doing. Like killing other elves or ranking in the emerald forest. any thoughts or suggestions on how to play a neutral wood-elf would really be appreciated. I just wish I could play a chaotic good wood-elf.
Thanks,
Ilanthas

Yesterday is forever gone, tomorrow may never come, today is the day of all days

Alert | IP Printer Friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

TwistMon 22-Jun-09 10:03 AM
Member since 23rd Sep 2006
3431 posts
Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author Click to view this author's profile Click to add this author to your buddy list
#2465, "Why not rank in Emerald Forest?"
In response to Reply #0

There are evil mobs in there too. I've seen tons of "forest protector" wood-elf roles. You may define them as "good" roles, but let's look at neutral for a moment.

Many CF'ers play neutral as "kills as much good as he does evil" but I don't think of it that way (necessarily). I see neutral as someone who maybe is good 90% of the time but 10% of the time chooses not to aid good or "do the moral thing" because of several types of reasons. Two come to mind immediately:

1. Neutralguy sees the "big picture" - ex. letting that sickly orphan die means more food for the other orphans, ensuring a better chance of survival for them, and realistically, the sickly one is going to have a miserable life and probably die anyways. Someone who is playing "good" will almost always want to save the sickly orphan and then try to find more food for everyone yadda yadda.

2. Neutralguy cares more about (insert non-alignment goal here) than good or evil. Neutral ragers are a classic example of this - "No, I don't hate elves, but I sure do hate elf mages." Outlanders too - "I like my elven Sunwarden friend, but that Tribunal Storm Paladin needs to die, because he's just a pawn of the system. The Man is keeping me down!" Tribunal too, of course, for the opposite reasons.

There's all kinds of player motivations. If you are concerned about it, you can write into your role why you do the things you do.

More people get screwed and turned evil for doing evil things than for doing good things, generally.

BaerinikaMon 22-Jun-09 10:02 AM
Member since 23rd Jan 2007
338 posts
#2464, "RE: Wood-Elves"
In response to Reply #0

I've played CF for a little over four years now and I don't think I've ever seen anyone turned good for a punishment. It's generally the opposite. People do tangiable evil things and we turn them evil because they're being evil. Maybe we've made a few comments in PBF's like...yay elf in a wood elf suit but I wouldn't worry too much about it. Now, if you try and join the Fortress and be all "I'm a goodie" gung ho...well, that's a different story. But do your thing, write a role that outlines why you believe what, you'll be fine.

DervishMon 22-Jun-09 09:13 AM
Member since 11th Oct 2003
617 posts
Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author Click to view this author's profile Click to add this author to your buddy list Click to send message via ICQ
#2463, "RE: Wood-Elves"
In response to Reply #0

I dont think you will be turned good just for not-harming other elves or avoiding emerald forest to rank in.

Top General Discussions New Player Q&A Topic #2462 Previous topic | Next topic