Subject: "best class" Previous topic | Next topic
Printer-friendly copy Email this topic to a friend CF Website
Top General Discussions New Player Q&A Topic #245
Show all folders

harry1112Fri 05-Sep-03 02:23 PM
Member since 02nd Sep 2003
7 posts
Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author Click to view this author's profile Click to add this author to your buddy list
#245, "best class"

i just wanted to hear your guys opinions on what you think the best class is?

Alert | IP Printer Friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Reply RE: best class, Ululari, 06-Sep-03 07:13 PM, #8
Reply RE: best class, harry1112, 06-Sep-03 08:06 AM, #5
Reply you should probably stick with one a while, incognito, 06-Sep-03 08:35 AM, #6
Reply RE: best class, Valguarnera, 05-Sep-03 05:05 PM, #2
Reply and what makes them best?, incognito, 05-Sep-03 06:15 PM, #3
Reply I always hear assassin or ranger are good for new playe..., dwimmerling, 06-Sep-03 01:33 AM, #4
Reply RE: best class, Quislet, 06-Sep-03 04:47 PM, #7
Reply Tough question, Nivek1, 05-Sep-03 02:59 PM, #1

UlulariSat 06-Sep-03 07:13 PM
Member since 04th Mar 2003
120 posts
Click to send private message to this author Click to add this author to your buddy list
#254, "RE: best class"
In response to Reply #0

Best at what?

For a beginner, it's probably best to play a warrior first. You'll die a lot, but not so fast that you won't learn anything. Then play what you're most scared of. Rinse and repeat.

Why a warrior? Warriors are tough, and because they're visible all the time, more experienced players will tend to invite you to rank with them (if they're not killing you or ignoring you, that is).

Another good alternative as a first time player, for similar reasons, is a bard.

To do "really well" with just about any class you have to know where your way around a bit, but as long as you don't get scared out of the game you'll have fun with just about anything.

Shapeshifters are also decent, but they have trouble communicating at times, which may or may not be your style.

I classify anti-paladins somewhat similarly -- they're decent, but they have communication troubles which might make it hard as a new player (not the same as shapeshifters, but anti-paladins aren't very good with trust issues).

Rangers, thieves and assassins are in some respects easier to play than a warrior or a bard, but that's because they can hide from so many other players -- again, this limits their ability to communicate.

Good luck.

harry1112Sat 06-Sep-03 08:06 AM
Member since 02nd Sep 2003
7 posts
Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author Click to view this author's profile Click to add this author to your buddy list
#250, "RE: best class"
In response to Reply #0

well i tried s few classes so far and i really like the thief and invoker. i also tried the shapeshifter and bard. i didnt really like them. i was a big fan of the songs or the shapeshifting skills but i think i will probaly stick with my thief and invoker thanks for you help

incognitoSat 06-Sep-03 08:35 AM
4495 posts
Click to add this author to your buddy list
#251, "you should probably stick with one a while"
In response to Reply #5

If you don't spend much time as a class, you will never really know its capabilities.

ValguarneraFri 05-Sep-03 05:05 PM
6904 posts
Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author Click to add this author to your buddy list
#247, "RE: best class"
In response to Reply #0

Actually, we go pretty far out of our way to try to make sure there isn't a "best" class. There's a wide range of opinions even among the staff as to what is powerful and what isn't.

We do, however, recommend certain classes to newer players. This isn't because we think they're "better", just simpler to get the hang of. If you're new and looking for something like that, we recommend definitely avoiding empowerment classes (healer, druid, shaman, paladin), and probably avoiding most of the 'pure' mage classes (invoker, transmuter, necromancer, conjurer). Out of the remaining classes, I think berserkers are a little tough for a very new player simply because their village is remote, and it'll take a little area know-how to get on your feet.

The rest (warrior, ranger, bard, assassin, thief, shapeshifter, anti-paladin) can all work for a newer player very easily. The more important thing is that you're playing something you're interested in.

valguarnera@carrionfields.com

incognitoFri 05-Sep-03 06:15 PM
4495 posts
Click to add this author to your buddy list
#248, "and what makes them best?"
In response to Reply #2

well, warriors tend to be stronger than magi at lower levels. This gives you a bit of extra survivability to explore the basic areas, and get to learn where to find the equipment you will need when you die.

assassins are good defensively with the exception of a couple of weapons that they don't know how to use. The main strength of an assassin is stealth though. When you hide, only a limited number of other characters can see you. Also, you can see invisible people and hidden people.

Similarly with thieves. Their hide is better in civilised regions than an assassins, but worse in the wilds.

ranger is best hider in the wilds and has useful healing skills plus a powerful ambush attack.

anti-paladin is actually one I would not recommend for someone new. They can deal decent damage if dressed right, but their defenses are poor and they are not stealthy, plus people inherently distrust them.

Shapeshifter is different to the others. It is relatively weak until higher levels. However, it has two big advantages. 1. You don't need equipment in order to fight offensively. You only need it if you are being attacked. So if you die and lose everything, you can still go out and gain levels. 2. You are very powerful at high level, and don't have many tactics to decide between. Some higher level shifter forms are very good for exploring, and most are decent at fighting.

Bard is something that groups like to have with them. Personally I found bards a little fragile, but that's probably because I played an evil bard and got jumped by a group of three thieves. However, it would have been nice to actually survive long enough to have the first round of combat, which unfortunately I didn't.

Bard is a good all round character, but takes a little more skill than the others to be played at a basic level, imho.

Personally I recommend assassin to new players. Arial assassin is a decent race because it defends well against melee, but any assassin race except elf or drow is probably fine for a beginner.

dwimmerlingSat 06-Sep-03 01:33 AM
216 posts
Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author Click to view this author's profile Click to add this author to your buddy list Click to send message via AOL IM Click to send message via ICQ
#249, "I always hear assassin or ranger are good for new playe..."
In response to Reply #2

nt

QuisletSat 06-Sep-03 04:47 PM
240 posts
#252, "RE: best class"
In response to Reply #2

>The rest (warrior, ranger, bard, assassin, thief,
>shapeshifter, anti-paladin) can all work for a newer player
>very easily. The more important thing is that you're playing
>something you're interested in.
(take specific note of that last sentence. If you don't play something you enjoy, you won't enjoy playing)

Some slightly more specific recommendations: For someone completely new, I'd suggest warrior first. Play it til at least the low/mid 20s to get a good initial feel of the class and the game. It also teaches you how to rank a little on your own and take the blows for a group.

Then, if you want to play a different class, do so. At that stage, you may not be ready for what I think are the two toughest of the above examples (shapeshifter and anti-paladin), but if you're ready either of those are good choices, or a mage type.

While invokers, transmuters, conjurers, and necromancers do get attacked a lot by the magic haters, they're also a good way to learn how to be a support character (read: someone who doesn't take the hits while ranking). Also, having identify can be a big aid to learning about what equipment you want and why.

But, if after playing a warrior, you still don't feel ready for the challenge of a mage-type, the other choices at the top are also excellent for learning more about the game. Playing ranger, bard, assassin, and/or thief can all teach things that are worth knowing.

And again, don't play an empowerment class until you have a good idea of what you're doing. The roleplaying is critical for any empowerment class, so if you don't have a good feel for both the game and your character, you'll just end up disappointed trying.

Nivek1Fri 05-Sep-03 02:59 PM
655 posts
Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author Click to view this author's profile Click to add this author to your buddy list Click to send message via AOL IM
#246, "Tough question"
In response to Reply #0

In a game with as many variations as CF, it's difficult to say. With affinities, legacies, specs, shapefoci, etc., it's possible to have success with any number of classes.

I've played almost every class to at least the mid-ranks. I tend to enjoy classes that are self-reliant and stay away from those that are mob-related (conjies, necros, druids, etc.)

At the moment, favorites are probably:

Invoker
Warrior
Thief
Ranger

Niv

Top General Discussions New Player Q&A Topic #245 Previous topic | Next topic