Subject: "role and description xp" Previous topic | Next topic
Printer-friendly copy Email this topic to a friend CF Website
Top General Discussions New Player Q&A Topic #2149
Show all folders

mageWed 09-Apr-08 02:05 PM
Member since 05th Apr 2008
248 posts
Click to send private message to this author Click to add this author to your buddy list
#2149, "role and description xp"
Edited on Wed 09-Apr-08 02:19 PM

I've had a number of characters now with roles and descriptions added at level 1 who have gone for over 100 hours with no imm xp for them. I even make additions to the role as I go. I spend alot of time writing up a good role, but it doesn't seem to make any difference. Are the imms simply not paying attention and don't notice that I have a role and desc, or am I doing something wrong here? What's especially annoying is that I read the PBFs and the roles that other people have received huge xp rewards for, and yet some of them look pretty bland to me.

EDIT: I've already read the posts here about roles and descriptions. Getting nothing for a role I put alot of effort into makes me not want to bother.

Alert | IP Printer Friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Reply RE: role and description xp, Toxic, 11-Apr-08 01:02 PM, #8
Reply RE: role and description xp, Valguarnera, 09-Apr-08 05:49 PM, #3
Reply RE: role and description xp, mage, 09-Apr-08 09:39 PM, #4
     Reply RE: role and description xp, Lyristeon, 10-Apr-08 08:41 AM, #5
Reply Play for your own fun, Aodh, 09-Apr-08 02:38 PM, #1
     Reply But I WANT imm xp, mage, 09-Apr-08 02:43 PM, #2
          Reply RE: But I WANT imm xp, Lyristeon, 10-Apr-08 08:45 AM, #6
               Reply that's only part of it, mage, 11-Apr-08 09:55 AM, #7

ToxicFri 11-Apr-08 01:02 PM
Member since 30th Mar 2008
8 posts
Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author Click to view this author's profile Click to add this author to your buddy list
#2157, "RE: role and description xp"
In response to Reply #0

I've been really impressed with IMM attention to the roles I've written. In the past month or so I've gotten the impression that the IMMs are trying very hard to encourage roles from all levels of players, not just the truly exceptional roleplayers. Although that's what the role contests are for, right? But I just wanted to say: Good work IMMs! And thanks for reading!

ValguarneraWed 09-Apr-08 05:49 PM
Member since 04th Mar 2003
6904 posts
Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author Click to add this author to your buddy list
#2152, "RE: role and description xp"
In response to Reply #0

I've had a number of characters now with roles and descriptions added at level 1 who have gone for over 100 hours with no imm xp for them.

1) Experience is generally not given out for writing a description.

2) I'm seeing four characters right now.

Character A (55 hrs) has no role.
Character B (54 hrs) has no role.
Character C (3 hours) has no role.
Character D (49 hours) has a role, and recieved 1,000 XP for it.

So I don't know what the problem is. If you have specific examples of past characters who are Graveyard-eligible (and thus their pfiles are archived in case of PBF), feel free to email me.

The reason I ask is because we do some pretty detailed record-keeping on this, and I can say with certainty that these types of rewards have increased steeply over the last year.

valguarnera@carrionfields.com

mageWed 09-Apr-08 09:39 PM
248 posts
Click to send private message to this author Click to add this author to your buddy list
#2153, "RE: role and description xp"
In response to Reply #3

The characters I'm thinking of are gone now, and none of them were over level 30, so no PBF. The reason they had so many hours as such low level was because of some questy stuff I was trying to figure out (but never did) which only applies to lower levels. Eventually my con on each of these chars dropped enough from risks taken during exploration that I deleted the char. As I was contemplating what to do about my con, it came down to the realization that if I had some clue that my character and his/her role had been noticed, I would tough out the early loss of con. But without it, I just didn't see the point. Knowing that I have a character that's been noticed generally works quite strongly for preventing me from deleting for ANY reason, simply because I don't want you guys to feel like, "Man, I give him Xp for his role, and then he deletes. See if I help someone out again." If I were an Imm and that happened to me, I'd be pretty annoyed too, so I try to ensure I don't do that to any of you. But when I feel like no one has noticed the existence of my character, I figure there's no harm in deleting one that's becoming a pain to me, because no one's going to notice its absence anyway.

I do appreciate your response though, Valg. It reassures me that you guys are willing to go to some efforts to reward roles.

LyristeonThu 10-Apr-08 08:41 AM
Member since 02nd Jan 2004
1282 posts
Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author Click to add this author to your buddy list
#2154, "RE: role and description xp"
In response to Reply #4

Just so you know, it is so much the opposite of imms not wanting to give players experience for anything. It's almost a contest to see who can give experience the most times.

The other thing is that there aren't always imms about who can do it.

AodhWed 09-Apr-08 02:38 PM
Member since 06th Jan 2005
352 posts
Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author Click to view this author's profile Click to add this author to your buddy list
#2150, "Play for your own fun"
In response to Reply #0

and if the imms don't take notice and you don't want to bother, don't bother.

If you DO want to make a story and want to use the role tool to help make yourself interesting, unique, and creative, Hell Yeah! Go for it. But you can be all those things (interesting, creative, etc) and have fun without a role. Or you can be none of those things with/out a role. The ball's always in your court: you are the creator, you are the character. It's up to you to have fun.

mageWed 09-Apr-08 02:43 PM
248 posts
#2151, "But I WANT imm xp"
In response to Reply #1

There are game mechanics that depend on it. Don't get me wrong, I enjoy roleplaying for my own sake. But let's not ignore the fact that there are aspects to this game that there are mechanical aspects to the game that either depend on or are enhanced by imm granted xp. Yes, I can obtain that through roleplaying as well, but why ignore one method simply because another exists? Why not do both? So the original question still stands.

LyristeonThu 10-Apr-08 08:45 AM
Member since 02nd Jan 2004
1282 posts
#2155, "RE: But I WANT imm xp"
In response to Reply #2

Imm exp as rewards typically account for less than 5% of those mechanics you are talking about. You can get so much more from exploration, observation and pk then you will ever see from imm exp. You are way much better off from a mechanics point of view by just enjoying the game without expecting the imm additions/subtractions.

mageFri 11-Apr-08 09:49 AM
248 posts
#2156, "that's only part of it"
In response to Reply #6
Edited on Fri 11-Apr-08 09:55 AM

That's actually only one of the mechanics I was referring to. And in that case, you're right, there's a lot more to be gained from observation, etc...

Top General Discussions New Player Q&A Topic #2149 Previous topic | Next topic