Subject: "Different Port" Previous topic | Next topic
Printer-friendly copy Email this topic to a friend CF Website
Top General Discussions New Player Q&A Topic #1983
Show all folders

kingjahWed 07-Nov-07 11:54 AM
Member since 07th Nov 2007
2 posts
Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author Click to view this author's profile Click to add this author to your buddy list
#1983, "Different Port"

I was hoping there was a different port to connect to CArrion Fields.

Alert | IP Printer Friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

kingjahWed 07-Nov-07 03:14 PM
Member since 07th Nov 2007
2 posts
Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author Click to view this author's profile Click to add this author to your buddy list
#1984, "RE: Different Port other than port 9999"
In response to Reply #0

I was wanted to play CF, but unable to connect due to the port being 9999. Can any assist if this port is blocked over the network and I am unable to make any changes. I know port 23 is wide open.

AmortisWed 21-Nov-07 12:28 AM
Member since 12th Jun 2007
69 posts
Click to send private message to this author Click to view this author's profile Click to add this author to your buddy list
#2024, "Seconded... but here's some alternatives"
In response to Reply #1

I agree, with firewalls everywhere, specially at work, would be nice if cf was available on a standard port.

But, until then, here are some things you can do.

1. Buy a shell account, or web service with a shell account, that permits mudding. I don't have any good ones, but they are out there.

or

2. Get SSH or telnet hosted on your home PC, with a direct connection to Internet. Even dialup will work OK for CF. Don't need to install linux, try Cygwin. Here's a great tutorial: http://pigtail.net/LRP/printsrv/cygwin-sshd.html
Then, you ssh into your home PC, and telnet to CF from there. Can install tintin++ or tinyfugue as well, though both are a royal bitch compared to zmud or jmc, until you figure them out.

IsildurWed 21-Nov-07 08:42 PM
Member since 04th Mar 2003
5969 posts
#2027, "RE: Different Port other than port 9999"
In response to Reply #1

Unless the box that runs CF also serves as a web server, I nominate port 443 (SSL). I suspect that outbound connections to 443 would raise less suspicion in a corporate environment than outbound connections to port 23. Could also use 80, but I'm guessing traffic to 80 would be more likely to get inspected since it's sent in the clear.

Top General Discussions New Player Q&A Topic #1983 Previous topic | Next topic