Subject: "please help a noob :-)" Previous topic | Next topic
Printer-friendly copy Email this topic to a friend CF Website
Top General Discussions New Player Q&A Topic #1335
Show all folders

TaylorthesailorWed 26-Jul-06 05:05 PM
Member since 19th Jul 2006
1 posts
Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author Click to add this author to your buddy list
#1335, "please help a noob :-)"

I have a friend who is talking about this game and to play it with her I am trying to join but when I hit connect it will bring up the screen that I can not type on that I use to play the game

Is there any way to fix this?
if so how?

thanks

Alert | IP Printer Friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

DurNominatorWed 26-Jul-06 05:05 PM
Member since 08th Nov 2004
2018 posts
Click to send private message to this author Click to add this author to your buddy list
#1337, "I recommend getting a MUD client"
In response to Reply #0

Personally, I use MUSHclient. You can find it from

http://www.gammon.com.au/downloads/dlmushclient.htm

The client is actually not free, but you can use the free shareware version indefinitely. The shareware version has a nag screen when it opens, but otherwise it works just as well as registered version(I use the shareware version too). After you've installed the client, choose 'new world' and add Carrion Fields. The MUD adress is www.carrionfields.com and port is 9999. After you've added Carrion Fields, all you need to do is to load the world with your client in order to start playing. It is possible to play using telnet too(the connect button on the page opens your default telnet client and tries to connect to CF), but I prefer having a client.

nebelWed 19-Jul-06 02:49 PM
Member since 03rd Oct 2003
148 posts
Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author Click to view this author's profile Click to add this author to your buddy list
#1338, "What they said, but additionally"
In response to Reply #0

I'm guessing you're using Windows XP and the default for their telnet client is local echo off. I highly recommend you get a mud client like Aarn and DurNominator suggested.

But if you cannot/do not want to, to connect using what Windows comes with, do the following:

1) Go to Start Menu and choose Run
2) Type "telnet.exe" (without the quotes) in the space. Hit OK.
3) A new window will open saying:

Welcome to Microsoft Telnet Client

Escape Character is

Microsoft Telnet>

4) Type "set localecho" (without the quotes)

It will say Local echo on

5) Type "open carrionfields.com 9999" (without the quotes)

Now you'll see what you type.

AarnWed 19-Jul-06 02:34 PM
Member since 04th Feb 2005
566 posts
Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author Click to view this author's profile Click to add this author to your buddy list
#1336, "RE: please help a noob :-)"
In response to Reply #0

Raw telnet programs are pretty bare-bones. What might be happening is you don't have local echo turned on, so you just can't see any text you type in. If you look in the options it is possible to turn it on, allowing you to see what you type in. Even then, telnet isn't going to be a great way to play.

You would be better off just grabbing a client to play from. There are many options, but here's a link to one free one:

www.wintin.org/downloads/wintin.net/webdeploy/setup.exe

And here's a link to possibly the most popular one, that comes with a 30-day trial:

http://forums.zuggsoft.com/index.php?page=4&action=file&file_id=65

Try setting up either one of those, then connection to carrionfields.com 999

IsildurWed 26-Jul-06 05:05 PM
Member since 04th Mar 2003
5969 posts
#1339, "RE: please help a noob :-)"
In response to Reply #1

I prefer yTin to WinTin, for what it's worth.

http://ytin.sourceforge.net/

Similar syntax, with a few small incompatibilities.

NightshadeSun 23-Jul-06 11:15 PM
Member since 30th Apr 2005
125 posts
Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author Click to view this author's profile Click to add this author to your buddy list Click to send message via AOL IM
#1341, "Plug for Portal GT client. It rocks. www.gameaxle.com..."
In response to Reply #5

nt

--Nightshade

Top General Discussions New Player Q&A Topic #1335 Previous topic | Next topic