Subject: "Where can I find good gear?" Previous topic | Next topic
Printer-friendly copy Email this topic to a friend CF Website
Top General Discussions New Player Q&A Topic #1289
Show all folders

YakarshaWed 17-May-06 08:08 PM
Member since 17th May 2006
2 posts
Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author Click to view this author's profile Click to add this author to your buddy list
#1289, "Where can I find good gear?"

I can't seem to be able to find any good gear except for the one time I stumbled upon some mid-night dragon stuff. Any suggestions on where I might find anything?

Massive damage is only fun when you're NOT recieving it

Alert | IP Printer Friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

IsildurWed 07-Jun-06 01:45 PM
Member since 04th Mar 2003
5969 posts
Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author Click to view this author's profile Click to add this author to your buddy list
#1312, "RE: Where can I find good gear?"
In response to Reply #0

Here's what I did.

1. Look at information that's available outside the game. Like it or not, stuff is out there. Much of it is incorrect and out of date, but much of it is still "mostly" accurate. Search for a piece of gear that looks useful, find the mob that has it, then go try to kill that mob.

2. Find out in game. First you need to play a class or race that gets 100% lore or the identify spell/commune. In other words, gnomes, svirfnebli, bards, conjurers, druids, healers, invokers, necromancers, shamans, shapeshifters and transmuters. Then you basically try to lore/identify everything you possibly can.

If you see someone in the guild that's wearing something you don't recognize, ask them if you can lore/identify it. Then ask them where it's from. This is typically easier for goodie gear, since if both you and the guy whose gear you're asking to examine are good-aligned then he's more likely to let you handle it.

If someone won't let you handle their gear, but you have reason to suspect it's rare and or "very good", then make a note of all the pieces you don't recognize. Later you can try locating them. If you happen to locate one on a character other than the guy who refused to cooperate, ask that second person what it does and where it's from. They may be willing to give you what the other guy wouldn't.

Obviously it helps to have the "locate object" spell/commune so you can find out what mob an item comes from, or what other people are carrying that item. However, if an item's level is greater than 51 then you'll never be able to locate it. So keep that in mind. That said, many "very good" pieces of gear are locatable. Pending recent changes, the classes with "locate object" are: conjurer, shaman, shapeshifter, transmuter. Invokers, necromancers and paladins get similar skills, but they're not as useful in the general case.

3. Log everything. If you only log small sessions where you're identifying lots of stuff, sooner or later you'll forget to turn on logging and then you've lost that information. So just log it all.

CorrlaanWed 17-May-06 11:13 PM
Member since 26th Sep 2005
195 posts
#1290, "Some suggestions"
In response to Reply #0

If you read help 'newbie3' it will list all the low level ranking areas you should visit after the Academy.

I can think of several things off the top of my head in almost every one of those areas that can help you make good damage.

Gearing a fighter for hit and dam is a matter of trial and error. Or asking in character. Or looking at well dressed warriors. Etc Etc Etc.

There are things that we consider in the game to be what we call..'free'. Easy to get..worth nothing in trade really. Skull rings, charred bracers, gear from the troll commander. Once you have a fairly protective set with a moderate amount of hit and dam..and I stress MODERATE. Not overtly high or low.

Then its a matter of exploiting vulnerabilities. If your going after an elf, use iron. Drow, mithril...dwarf...a bar of soap.

What Im trying to tell you, is stop looking for the set thats going to 'WIN you the game'. You'll never find it. This game is as much about timing, strategy and opportunity as it is about the sword your wearing and the helm that gives you +4 l337omgkewlnesspoints!

Play the game, and every time you die try to remember you just 'learned' something.

Corrlaan

Corrlaan followers are NICE. With a capital NICE!

GinGaThu 18-May-06 07:28 AM
Member since 04th Mar 2003
996 posts
#1291, "This post goes for many Veterans as well. nt"
In response to Reply #1

nt

NightshadeFri 19-May-06 04:31 AM
Member since 30th Apr 2005
125 posts
Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author Click to view this author's profile Click to add this author to your buddy list Click to send message via AOL IM
#1294, "Mmm... dwarf soap vuln. Just don't eat the soap. ;) nt"
In response to Reply #1

nt

--Nightshade

Top General Discussions New Player Q&A Topic #1289 Previous topic | Next topic