Subject: "A Slight Difficulty With Changing Home City" Previous topic | Next topic
Printer-friendly copy Email this topic to a friend CF Website
Top General Discussions New Player Q&A Topic #1207
Show all folders

DashivWed 15-Mar-06 04:38 PM
Member since 15th Mar 2006
4 posts
Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author Click to view this author's profile Click to add this author to your buddy list
#1207, "A Slight Difficulty With Changing Home City"

Well, when I first created this character, I happily went for Udgaard, it seemed like a nice place and all. The problem is, after playing for a while I have discovered it's completely devoid of all non-NPC life, and raiding the troglodyte caverns gets very old very fast. To cap it all, it's in the middle of nowhere, and I can't find my way to anywhere hospitable.

What I'd quite like to do is change my home city to Galadon, because that seems like where the party's at. But apparently (when I go to the Udgaard registry to change), I'm 'not welcome there'.

So the question is: Am I stuck respawning in Udgaard for the rest of my natural life (meaning it looks like Im going to have to perfect the art of sprinting southwards to Galadon avoiding all of the numerous varieties of hostile things), or have I missed something obvious in my newbieness?

Cheers in advance!

Alert | IP Printer Friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Reply RE: A Slight Difficulty With Changing Home City, Vortex Magus, 24-Mar-06 12:02 AM, #11
Reply I agree with other replies, Corrlaan, 15-Mar-06 11:38 PM, #3
Reply RE: I agree with other replies, Dashiv, 16-Mar-06 11:16 AM, #5
     Reply Trust more experienced players..., Theerkla, 16-Mar-06 11:33 AM, #7
     Reply Agreed., Valguarnera, 16-Mar-06 02:08 PM, #9
          Reply RE: Agreed., Eskelian, 20-Mar-06 12:42 AM, #10
     Reply On age death and such., DurNominator, 16-Mar-06 02:02 PM, #8
Reply When life gives you lemons..., TheDude, 15-Mar-06 06:27 PM, #2
Reply RE: A Slight Difficulty With Changing Home City, Crysseara, 15-Mar-06 05:55 PM, #1
     Reply RE: A Slight Difficulty With Changing Home City, Mort, 16-Mar-06 02:01 AM, #4
          Reply RE: Population:, Valguarnera, 16-Mar-06 11:27 AM, #6

Vortex MagusFri 24-Mar-06 12:02 AM
Member since 20th Apr 2005
400 posts
Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author Click to view this author's profile Click to add this author to your buddy list
#1221, "RE: A Slight Difficulty With Changing Home City"
In response to Reply #0

I'm not sure if this post is out of line or not, but there is a fansite out there with maps of many common areas, and its probably the only reason I ever figured out the way to the Inn, Udgaard, Hamsah, the underdark etc. from Galadon. Very useful.

CorrlaanWed 15-Mar-06 11:38 PM
Member since 26th Sep 2005
195 posts
#1210, "I agree with other replies"
In response to Reply #0

Changing your hometown is meant to be a difficult thing to do which is why it costs a pretty penny which you will find out if you take Crysseara's advice.

Learning the ways of the roads is a VERY...I stress...VERY good thing to do. And in fact the North Road goes directly from Udgaard's south gate to Galadon's north and there will not be (read 99% of the time) any aggressive mobs on the road to keep you from getting there.

Exploring this vast world is part of the fun of playing and I would just continue on with a character after making a minor error such as hometown. Who knows..perhaps you'll come to like Udgaard. There's often armor lying on the ground and far less PC's around to loot the pit when your waiting patiently for your things to return.

Corrlaan followers are NICE. With a capital NICE!

DashivThu 16-Mar-06 11:16 AM
Member since 15th Mar 2006
4 posts
#1212, "RE: I agree with other replies"
In response to Reply #3

Thanks to all for the swift replies.

I guess I got too distracted by the troglodyte caverns, I forgot there was even a road from the south gate *grin*

Well, I guess I'll keep on playing around in Udgaard, give it a while and see how things go. I think it's this idea of death from old age which has made me very hasty to get the most from the character (especially since I noticd that after only a couple of days I'm a year older!)

But if there's a road to follow, I shouldn't be as hamstrung as I thought. Onwards to exploration!

TheerklaThu 16-Mar-06 11:33 AM
Member since 04th Mar 2003
1055 posts
#1214, "Trust more experienced players..."
In response to Reply #5

When they tell you to ignore age death. As a newbie, you will be con dead or deleted well before expiring from old age even remotely becomes an issue.

ValguarneraThu 16-Mar-06 02:08 PM
6904 posts
Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author Click to add this author to your buddy list
#1216, "Agreed."
In response to Reply #7

It takes a certain amount of either skill or abject cowardice to age-die a character. It's several hundred hours of gameplay to age-die, whereas only 39-66 deaths will permanently kill most characters who aren't fighting it off with their (very limited) extra training sessions.

And that even kind of permanent death doesn't kill of the majority of characters. Voluntary deletion swamps all other causes of character death by a wide margin. Check the Battlefield forum, and remember that only high-level characters hit that board at all-- for every thread, there's probably at least a couple dozen characters who deleted at lower levels.

Age death kills off maybe a dozen or two characters per RL year, nearly all of whom are played by experienced players. It should be at the very back of your mind as a newer player.

valguarnera@carrionfields.com

EskelianMon 20-Mar-06 12:42 AM
2023 posts
#1219, "RE: Agreed."
In response to Reply #9

Yeah, seriously. At my current rate of playing, my current character that I've had for 7 months would age die in roughly 2 years. Depends on how often you play though, obviously, but if you play like 3 days a week for 4 hours each, it'd take you many moons to age die. So, don't sweat it.

DurNominatorThu 16-Mar-06 02:02 PM
Member since 08th Nov 2004
2018 posts
Click to send private message to this author Click to add this author to your buddy list
#1215, "On age death and such."
In response to Reply #5

Most people don't play a character long enough to age die him. I age died my first character, which happened after 630 hours of playing the character. While that character was unusually long-lived, you don't have to worry about age death before 500 hours of his life. You'll still get a few weeks of old geezer RP if you'll choose to stick with the character that long.

I suggest that you read the room description in the road rooms, it tells you which way the road goes and leads straight to Galadon's north gate. Looking at direction will also help to determine where the road goes and helps you in not getting lost. Also, it is good idea to read the signs placed at crossroads when walking roads to see where the roads lead to. North Road connects Udgaard and Galadon, East Road connects Galadon and Hamsah.

TheDudeWed 15-Mar-06 06:27 PM
Member since 20th Sep 2005
283 posts
#1209, "When life gives you lemons..."
In response to Reply #0

You say:

"I have discovered it's completely devoid of all non-NPC life"

I think soon enough you will learn that this can be a very, very good thing.

Many people intentionally select out of the way hometowns. Because there's nothing worse than recalling home- blinded, plaqued, near death, and who knows what else- only to find seven of your enemies right there in town to finish the job.

CryssearaWed 15-Mar-06 05:55 PM
Member since 05th Mar 2006
53 posts
#1208, "RE: A Slight Difficulty With Changing Home City"
In response to Reply #0

I may be wrong, but I think the only registry that actually works is the one in Galadon. Try that one out, it'll cost you a certain amount of gold.

Good luck!

MortThu 16-Mar-06 02:01 AM
Member since 23rd Jan 2006
194 posts
Click to send private message to this author Click to add this author to your buddy list
#1211, "RE: A Slight Difficulty With Changing Home City"
In response to Reply #1

I've changed hometowns in the Udgaard registry, so it does work.

Then again, Galadon might be full at the moment (other than for new characters?).

ValguarneraThu 16-Mar-06 11:27 AM
6904 posts
Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author Click to add this author to your buddy list
#1213, "RE: Population:"
In response to Reply #4

Then again, Galadon might be full at the moment (other than for new characters?).

It very often is. I can't check from here, but I believe that's the source of the issue.

Personally, Udgaard is near the top of my personal list for hometown choices, for two main reasons:

1) Great services. I can hit a bank if needed and buy or barter for a number of items that are very useful, particularly at the lower levels.

2) Out of the way, but not too far out of the way. You can now take a marked road straight to Tir-Talath, Galadon, and Voralian City. That's a low-movement path-- even a naked level 1 character probably doesn't have to rest on that trip. And unlike Galadon, it's just far enough out of the way that people won't often find you if you've recalled while in danger.

valguarnera@carrionfields.com

Top General Discussions New Player Q&A Topic #1207 Previous topic | Next topic