Subject: "Quick Question (Learning to PK)" Previous topic | Next topic
Printer-friendly copy Email this topic to a friend CF Website
Top General Discussions New Player Q&A Topic #1200
Show all folders

TriloSun 12-Mar-06 11:24 AM
Member since 11th Feb 2006
14 posts
Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author Click to view this author's profile Click to add this author to your buddy list
#1200, "Quick Question (Learning to PK)"

Before my question, a bit of background info:

I've been playing for maybe six months now, and so far I'm really enjoying the game. I'm familiar with roleplaying, but very new to CF and mudding overall.
I've searched the forums for tips when it comes to PK'ing, which I'm lousy at, and the opinions I've seen have pretty much been in agreement with each other. Don't worry too much, you'll suck at the beginning, just enjoy the game, which is what I've been doing.
The one problem is, it's hard to take a character anywhere really meaningful when dying is a daily occurence. I was thinking that people learn by doing, etc etc etc, and was considering rolling up a "PK learning character", much in the spirit of the "exploration characters" people seem to also make a fair bit when they're new.

I'd still roleplay, of course, the character would probably be some type of evil warrior, someone who would have an excuse to be a jerk when it comes to PK'ing. I just might not take the character's RP into the depth I would with a normal character, as with me playing it, it wouldn't last more than a few weeks until death.

Before I roll the character up though, I was wondering what the reaction of the imms and playerbase would be to it. Would a character geared more towards learning to PK be frowned upon as exceptionally poor roleplaying, or would it be a more-or-less normal thing for a new player to do? If it's a type of character everyone hates, then of course I wouldn't make it.

Thanks very much.

Alert | IP Printer Friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Reply Agressive killer type? If anything you'll blend in a b..., Nightshade, 13-Mar-06 03:09 PM, #6
Reply RE: Quick Question (Learning to PK), Muuloc, 13-Mar-06 01:58 AM, #5
Reply RE: Quick Question (Learning to PK), nepenthe, 12-Mar-06 02:57 PM, #4
Reply One way is to go caballed., DurNominator, 12-Mar-06 02:31 PM, #3
Reply Well, Theerkla, 12-Mar-06 11:48 AM, #1
     Reply RE: Well, Trilo, 12-Mar-06 12:01 PM, #2

NightshadeMon 13-Mar-06 03:09 PM
Member since 30th Apr 2005
125 posts
Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author Click to view this author's profile Click to add this author to your buddy list Click to send message via AOL IM
#1206, "Agressive killer type? If anything you'll blend in a b..."
In response to Reply #0

And Aarn (I think it was) is correct. Everyone tends to applaud newbies like Kruuank, and he learned a ton I'm sure.

Take a look at some logs on Dio's. There's no way to learn like doing, but they help me often.

--Nightshade

MuulocMon 13-Mar-06 01:58 AM
Member since 02nd Dec 2004
53 posts
Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author Click to view this author's profile Click to add this author to your buddy list
#1205, "RE: Quick Question (Learning to PK)"
In response to Reply #0

You can have a very well roleplayed character who is also pk intensive. The two are far from mutually exclusive.

But, I could see the advantage of a simple role that allows for a lot of fights if you are interested in focusing on learning pk.

Kruuank stands out to me as a great example of a pk learning character who was also solid rp wise.

I think the key to learning to player kill is finding a role that grabs you enough that you won't rage delete, and then learning from your defeats. Also, not becoming dependant on any other characters helps.

nepentheSun 12-Mar-06 02:57 PM
Member since 04th Mar 2003
3430 posts
Click to send private message to this author Click to view this author's profile Click to add this author to your buddy list
#1204, "RE: Quick Question (Learning to PK)"
In response to Reply #0

Ideally, have (and play) some kind of role, and be evil.

A lot of indiscriminately murderous goods and neutrals end up on our bad side. Evils get a lot more leeway.

DurNominatorSun 12-Mar-06 02:31 PM
Member since 08th Nov 2004
2018 posts
Click to send private message to this author Click to add this author to your buddy list
#1203, "One way is to go caballed."
In response to Reply #0

You can do an independent killer role if you want or you can go caballed and fight the enemies of your cabal. Mindless killer is one role option, idealist(such as Outlander, who have plenty of enemies) is another. Whatever you find more interesting.

Few examples from my two first PK chars, a shapeshifter and an orc:

My first PK-oriented character was Tribunal utility/air shapeshifter(human), and I managed to get fourteen or so kills with the combo(after age dying an explorer Herald), fights mainly against criminals and Ragers. Shifter is good option for PK practice in Hero range, since the actual fighting tactic is simple and the tactic is mainly about in what form to fight. Agantas the shifter started PK as hero. The good thing about shifters is that their fighting abilities aren't gear dependent and they dress for extra hp.

My second PK-character was an orc and the idea was to PK whatever I happen to come upon. I managed to get seven kills or so with the orc, consisting of paladins, assassins and warriors, the tactic being the traditional orcish bash bash bash with axes in hands(though flail has come to fashion among warriors and I wonder if it spreads among orcs as well). My orc Murgh started PK in early 20-range, when he was informed of the location of Alven the paladin, whom he bashed to death after getting decent gear. Orc can be fun, but they can get kicked in the junk pretty badly at times. I had no real problems as Murgh, but my second orc Ghak took a good kick in the junk most of the time when he wasn't ganking. Warriors and orcs tend to gear for damroll.

TheerklaSun 12-Mar-06 11:48 AM
Member since 04th Mar 2003
1055 posts
#1201, "Well"
In response to Reply #0

As long as you don't go ooc, have a semblance of a role, and act appropriately for your race, class, sphere, ethos, and alignment, you are pretty much all set.

TriloSun 12-Mar-06 12:01 PM
Member since 11th Feb 2006
14 posts
#1202, "RE: Well"
In response to Reply #1

So basically just the normal rules, it looks like? Thanks again, then.

I was just a bit worried that a character oriented like that would be seen as super-obnoxious (Though I'd be losing all the time anyway)

Top General Discussions New Player Q&A Topic #1200 Previous topic | Next topic