Subject: "Character names vs. Map names" Previous topic | Next topic
Printer-friendly copy Email this topic to a friend CF Website
Top General Discussions New Player Q&A Topic #1119
Show all folders

ForinthirThu 19-Jan-06 07:28 PM
Member since 19th Jan 2006
1 posts
Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author Click to view this author's profile Click to add this author to your buddy list
#1119, "Character names vs. Map names"

I'm brand new and curious. I appreciate the naming policy for roleplaying. How many Airagorns or Gundolfs are on other MUDs? Not to mention the sophomoric names (Hue G. Rection was an eye-roller I found once). This makes roleplaying sincere and true to form. Kudos to the developers of CF!

With that in mind, here's my confusion. We are not to use literary or "common" fantasy names yet the map shows locations like Mirkwood and Moria. Is this Middle Earth? Or were they just part of the initial MUD when CF came out years ago? Seems contridictory.

Just curious as to the justification.

Alert | IP Printer Friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Reply The map on official site is outdated, DurNominator, 20-Jan-06 04:09 AM, #3
Reply RE: The map on official site is outdated, Aarn, 20-Jan-06 10:55 AM, #7
Reply RE: Character names vs. Map names, Aarn, 19-Jan-06 08:39 PM, #2
Reply RE: Character names vs. Map names, Terwin05, 20-Jan-06 09:22 AM, #4
     Reply RE: Character names vs. Map names, nepenthe, 20-Jan-06 09:36 AM, #5
          Reply Har, Terwin05, 20-Jan-06 09:41 AM, #6
Reply RE: Character names vs. Map names, Muuloc, 19-Jan-06 08:11 PM, #1

DurNominatorFri 20-Jan-06 04:09 AM
Member since 08th Nov 2004
2018 posts
Click to send private message to this author Click to add this author to your buddy list
#1122, "The map on official site is outdated"
In response to Reply #0

Many locations in it have been replaced. Areas like Moria, Dol Guldur, Shadar Logoth and its twin the past, Aridhol, Thalos, New Thalos, Tar Valon, Shire, Camelot and some others have been replaced by areas with more original names.

Don't expect to see that on the map, since no-one has drawn an updated version of it. People tend to use the Dikuclan map or IC maps when they have need for a map.

Also a question: What's the official names for the area previously known as Icewind Dale and Bryn Shander. They never were Icewind dale and Bryn Shander on my time, but I can't recall ever learning the appropriate name.

AarnFri 20-Jan-06 10:55 AM
Member since 04th Feb 2005
566 posts
Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author Click to view this author's profile Click to add this author to your buddy list
#1126, "RE: The map on official site is outdated"
In response to Reply #3

Well, the area name is "The Northern Mountains". I don't recall it having a more specific name... it's just a burned-out village now.

AarnThu 19-Jan-06 08:39 PM
Member since 04th Feb 2005
566 posts
#1121, "RE: Character names vs. Map names"
In response to Reply #0

To be more specific, Mirkwood and Moria were both changed in... going by circumstantial evidence, I would say 2002 or there-abouts. I don't have exact info on hand, although I'm sure someone does.

Unless I'm mistaken, we're down to perhaps one area that has roots in a fantasy story besides CF (although the area itself is original to CF), and getting it changed up is definitely a high priority.

Aarn!

Terwin05Fri 20-Jan-06 09:22 AM
Member since 22nd Dec 2005
124 posts
#1123, "RE: Character names vs. Map names"
In response to Reply #2

I can think of at least two. The Basilica area has characters and mythos based in David Eddings' Elenium (a fun and relatively quick read, if you've never checked it out). The second, of course, is that certain encampment always feared by serial teleporters - which is the last borrowed holdout from Robert Jordan.

nepentheFri 20-Jan-06 09:36 AM
Member since 04th Mar 2003
3430 posts
Click to send private message to this author Click to view this author's profile Click to add this author to your buddy list
#1124, "RE: Character names vs. Map names"
In response to Reply #4

>I can think of at least two. The Basilica area has

When was the last time you were around the Basilica?

Terwin05Fri 20-Jan-06 09:41 AM
Member since 22nd Dec 2005
124 posts
#1125, "Har"
In response to Reply #5

Fair point, and come to think of it, it was probably close to a year ago.

Added to my list for re-exploration.

T

MuulocThu 19-Jan-06 08:11 PM
Member since 02nd Dec 2004
53 posts
#1120, "RE: Character names vs. Map names"
In response to Reply #0

Thanks and yes, those are older areas that are slowly being replaced by original concepts.

Top General Discussions New Player Q&A Topic #1119 Previous topic | Next topic