Subject: "log out after pk" Previous topic | Next topic
Printer-friendly copy Email this topic to a friend CF Website
Top General Discussions New Player Q&A Topic #1076
Show all folders

ButterflyThu 29-Dec-05 07:14 AM
Member since 24th Aug 2005
13 posts
Click to send private message to this author Click to add this author to your buddy list
#1076, "log out after pk"

Two related questions.

1. Every time I attack a certain character, it runs away (which is probably wise if I have the advantage) and then logs out as soon
as the melee timer permits. Is logging out in this fashion
A. Good strategy and encouraged?
B. Cheesy but allowed within the rules?
C. If consistently done, an abuse that should be reported?
Thanks in advance!

2. A majority of the times I team up with a skilled or experienced player, or a few of them, I've noticed a pattern of behavior that while not absolute is as consistent as certain people going for a cigarette after, umm, certain things. Basically, they may be exping, or in rare cases exploring, or looking for a fight, but whatever it is, if a pk fight comes to them, when the interaction is over (and this may involve running away, coming back, searching for someone in a number of areas, etc., and may take 30 minutes or more) they wait around for 10 minutes, then log out. Even if I can strongly infer from the RP that the original plan was to run experience for two (real life)hours, if someone attacks the group and there's a merry chase and we win, they'll hang around for 10 minutes and then log out. Sometimes they even come back in 20 minutes to 2 hours, but they always log out. What's going on here? Do experienced players religiously read logs after a fight, or is there something else going on?

Thanks!

Alert | IP Printer Friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Reply D. Allowed and probably nothing wrong with it., Eskelian, 31-Dec-05 06:57 PM, #5
Reply RE: D. Allowed and probably nothing wrong with it., Butterfly, 02-Jan-06 09:54 AM, #8
Reply RE: log out after pk, Aarn, 29-Dec-05 09:20 AM, #2
Reply RE: log out after pk, Butterfly, 29-Dec-05 02:40 PM, #3
     Reply I find that it's not a good Idea to hang around...., (NOT Pro), 30-Dec-05 12:35 AM, #4
          Reply RE: I find that it's not a good Idea to hang around...., Eskelian, 31-Dec-05 07:00 PM, #6
Reply My thoughts, Theerkla, 29-Dec-05 08:06 AM, #1
     Reply RE: My thoughts, Eskelian, 31-Dec-05 07:02 PM, #7

EskelianSat 31-Dec-05 06:57 PM
Member since 04th Mar 2003
2023 posts
Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author Click to view this author's profile Click to add this author to your buddy list
#1083, "D. Allowed and probably nothing wrong with it."
In response to Reply #0

I for one hate questions which are multiple choice and all of the answers are limited to ones that are one-sided. If he made it that long, until the timer wore off, he could probably do that all day and not die. So, he was in no danger. So if he didn't feel like playing anymore, thats ok.

Secondly, experienced players don't log out, they kill you.

ButterflyMon 02-Jan-06 09:54 AM
13 posts
Click to send private message to this author Click to add this author to your buddy list
#1086, "RE: D. Allowed and probably nothing wrong with it."
In response to Reply #5

Thanks for the reply. My question was already answered though, if you check the thread, and your reply was a bit incoherent or a non sequitur.

AarnThu 29-Dec-05 09:20 AM
Member since 04th Feb 2005
566 posts
Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author Click to view this author's profile Click to add this author to your buddy list
#1078, "RE: log out after pk"
In response to Reply #0

1. C
2. I've never noticed this before, so I can't imaigne skilled players are regularly logging out immediately after killing people. I suppose if it were something going on persistently with one character, you could justify reporting it and we could look into the pattern of behavior.

ButterflyThu 29-Dec-05 02:40 PM
13 posts
#1079, "RE: log out after pk"
In response to Reply #2

>2. I've never noticed this before, so I can't imaigne skilled
>players are regularly logging out immediately after killing
>people. I suppose if it were something going on persistently
>with one character, you could justify reporting it and we
>could look into the pattern of behavior.

Sorry, I was unclear. Point 2 is a completely separate type of situation. By no means I am suggesting that it is the case that a large %tage of skilled players kill someone and immediately log out.

This looked bad, potentially like i was a typical newbie whining about a skilled player abuse that doesn't even happen, so I thought I'd clarify.

Here's an example from a while ago:

I'm invited as the third with two other obviously skilled and experienced players. We go to Akun and kill dwarves for xp. In between RP, they occassionally discuss things like they want to keep ranking in Akun until they get a certain skill from their guild, so i know they're planning to be doing it for a while in real life time.

A dwarf in our PK range shows up, becomes appropriately irate at the mayhem we are causing, and proceeds to attack us. We manage to win, and the dwarf imho gets major kuduos for good RP.

Now, suddenly, without discussion, the leader leaves the area and starts roaming around the map really fast with us. We zoom from city to city, get refreshed at healers, and keep hopping around. At first I think we're trying to track down the dwarf again, but this isn't what we do. We check out of the way areas to see if gear is lying around, run one or two small mobs for something like a low level potion or scroll, and keep moving. There is 0 discussion about what we're doing, and both of the players are still obviously keyed up, so it seems like this is a well understood thing we are doing that requires no explanation. 20 minutes later, the leader and the other guy mention RP cloaked for logging out, and they log out. No more mention is made of xp, finding someone else to kill, or anything else. This sort of thing happened a lot to me when I was grouping, and I'm wondering what the experienced players are thinking and doing in this scenario.

Pro (inactive user)Fri 30-Dec-05 12:35 AM
Charter member
#1082, "I find that it's not a good Idea to hang around...."
In response to Reply #3

Any where after a PK fight.

I will move to the ends of the realm after a PK fight whether I have been victorious or not.

Too many times has it happened that they come looking for payback with their Mercs and Perma's.

A lot of people, myself in cluded do not take well to being PK'd and will go through great lengths to avenge themselves.

My mood also changes after a PK for a while as well, and I can't do the grind as easily.

EskelianSat 31-Dec-05 07:00 PM
2023 posts
#1084, "RE: I find that it's not a good Idea to hang around...."
In response to Reply #4

In general, if someone in my PK knows my ranking area, I usually go somewhere else. Its just and old and good habit to have, because I'm the type of person who will get a hero healer or couple allies and go jump that ranking party and I expect my enemies to do the same. I'm somewhat paranoid I guess, but in general, don't be surprised if your allies leave an area after getting attacked there.

TheerklaThu 29-Dec-05 08:06 AM
1055 posts
#1077, "My thoughts"
In response to Reply #0

"1. Every time I attack a certain character, it runs away (which is probably wise if I have the advantage) and then logs out as soon as the melee timer permits."

Certainly permitted by the rules (which is why the log out timer exists), if it is a consistent pattern, it is relatively cheesy to do so, if the Imms aren't already aware of it, I'd report it so they can determine if it is going on a little to frequently or the character in question is dropping link rather than waiting out the timer.

"Even if I can strongly infer from the RP that the original plan was to run experience for two (real life)hours, if someone attacks the group and there's a merry chase and we win, they'll hang around for 10 minutes and then log out. Sometimes they even come back in 20 minutes to 2 hours, but they always log out. What's going on here?"

Some older players religiously log out after they are killed in such fashion to prevent themselves from deleting. That may be what is going on. Also, if they intended to rank for 2 hours, knowing that their previous ranking spot is no good, if they can't come up with alternatives, then their plans are ruined.

EskelianSat 31-Dec-05 07:02 PM
2023 posts
#1085, "RE: My thoughts"
In response to Reply #1

Also, a lot of players log out after dying because its hard to regear fully when there are a lot of enemies in your pk range. I usually 'reserve' my ghost timer for a more appropriate time to regear.

Top General Discussions New Player Q&A Topic #1076 Previous topic | Next topic