Subject: "playing from the schools computers?" Previous topic | Next topic
Printer-friendly copy Email this topic to a friend CF Website
Top General Discussions New Player Q&A Topic #1060
Show all folders

esoelSun 04-Dec-05 05:14 AM
Member since 06th Jul 2003
11 posts
Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author Click to view this author's profile Click to add this author to your buddy list
#1060, "playing from the schools computers?"

any ideas of getting clients or telnet working from theese computers?
when i try to open a connection it just says (with telnet) coud not open connection, and zmud is not able to connect either.
ideas?

Alert | IP Printer Friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

EskelianSun 11-Dec-05 01:16 AM
Member since 04th Mar 2003
2023 posts
Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author Click to view this author's profile Click to add this author to your buddy list
#1065, "Connectivity issues."
In response to Reply #0

Most schools will have port 9999 blocked. In fact, typically, schools and business organizations will usually use a firewall (an electronic device which filters, occassionally tracks, and attempts to prevent unauthorized usage of an internet connection to increase security) to block out every port except for the "standard" ones. Standard ones would be like 80 (http), 443 (https), 25 (mail out), 110 (pop3 mail in), 21, etc etc etc.

There are usually ways around these, but given they are blocked for a reason, I would not suggest doing this. Rather, you can consider getting your own dialup connection in your dorm (if your phone systems allow dial up, IE, analog only), via a Vonage system ($15 bucks a month, but make sure its ports aren't blocked) or maybe some generous soul will finally get around to making a proxied java/Flash based one. For now however, those don't exist. Typically people get around them using their home machine as a proxy, but, again, this probably is against the rules of your school and compared to just telnetting is a relatively more complex procedure to set up.

CorrlaanSun 04-Dec-05 09:01 AM
Member since 26th Sep 2005
195 posts
#1061, "I wouldnt endorse any nefarious activity on schools com..."
In response to Reply #0

But...I think you can keep a copy of a client on a disk..and use it from the disk at the computer if need be. Or find one of the java clients on the web...I think theres one on one of the sites we are listed at..MudMagic.com I think? But if they have port 9999 blocked in and out then you might be out of luck.

Corrlaan

Corrlaan followers are NICE. With a capital NICE!

BeerSun 11-Dec-05 01:52 AM
Member since 04th Mar 2003
322 posts
Click to send private message to this author Click to view this author's profile Click to add this author to your buddy list
#1066, "I've done that"
In response to Reply #1

Zmuds enter greatly on a floppy disk.

Top General Discussions New Player Q&A Topic #1060 Previous topic | Next topic