Subject: "Paladins" Previous topic | Next topic
Printer-friendly copy Email this topic to a friend CF Website
Top General Discussions New Player Q&A Topic #1024
Show all folders

SandManThu 17-Nov-05 04:53 PM
Member since 15th Oct 2005
2 posts
Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author Click to view this author's profile Click to add this author to your buddy list
#1024, "Paladins"

I used to play a paladin hero about 5 years ago, before dedication. What's the deal? Does it come with skills, like specilizations; and if so, is either one more powerful than the other?

You can live.

Alert | IP Printer Friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Reply RE: The Dedicate Command:, Valguarnera, 18-Nov-05 09:51 AM, #2
Reply RE: Paladins, Aarn, 17-Nov-05 07:36 PM, #1
     Reply While both still get four skills.., SPN, 18-Nov-05 11:39 AM, #3
          Reply The best analogy, Theerkla, 18-Nov-05 12:50 PM, #4
               Reply This analogy makes me think of a versatile two-hander p..., DurNominator, 18-Nov-05 02:41 PM, #5
               Reply This might be the funniest thing I have heard in awhile..., SPN, 18-Nov-05 02:43 PM, #6
               Reply RE: The best analogy, nepenthe, 18-Nov-05 07:07 PM, #7

ValguarneraFri 18-Nov-05 09:51 AM
Member since 04th Mar 2003
6904 posts
Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author Click to add this author to your buddy list
#1027, "RE: The Dedicate Command:"
In response to Reply #0

What's the deal?

Like all commands, it has a helpfile outlining its basics that you can access from either the website or within the game.

Does it come with skills, like specializations;

Yes. They're available here and here, as linked from the parent helpfile. It's a good idea when playing a new class to look at 'help classname' as well as all the cross-referenced helpfiles inside (here, including Empowerment and Paladin Code, the latter of which may be new to you). After that, check the "Classes" link in the sidebar and you'll get a list of all the skills and supplications.

and if so, is either one more powerful than the other?

I don't think so. The general rule is that if we thought one was "better", we'd be adjusting one or the other so that fact was no longer true. Characters have been successful with both-- obviously the shield specialization is more defensive and the weapon specialization is more offensive, so choose something that suits your style of play more.

valguarnera@carrionfields.com

AarnThu 17-Nov-05 07:36 PM
Member since 04th Feb 2005
566 posts
Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author Click to view this author's profile Click to add this author to your buddy list
#1025, "RE: Paladins"
In response to Reply #0

Paladins pick at level 10 between shields or two-handed weapons, neither has the ability to dual-wield anymore. Shields are more defensively oriented, two-haders are more offensive. Both can be quite good, however. Each one has a couple of skills that goes with it... I would venture to say four or five? I haven't counted in a while. It does not change your communes.

Make sure you're familiar with virtues also!

Aarn

SPNFri 18-Nov-05 11:39 AM
Member since 24th Oct 2004
352 posts
Click to send email to this author Click to view this author's profile Click to add this author to your buddy list Click to send message via AOL IM
#1028, "While both still get four skills.."
In response to Reply #1

I would venture to say that two handed dedicants have a much wider range of utility with Templar's defense, seeing how there is what, somewhere in the range of 20 different moves you can do with that.

This is not to belittle shield dedicant's, who can be tanking beasts, they just do not have the wide ranging skill that is templar's defense. And Angel's Wing does not quite equal out in the end, seeing how it only provides three different effects.

TheerklaFri 18-Nov-05 12:50 PM
1055 posts
#1029, "The best analogy"
In response to Reply #3

Two-handed dedicants are a stick-shift, shield dedicants an automatic.

DurNominatorFri 18-Nov-05 02:41 PM
Member since 08th Nov 2004
2018 posts
Click to send private message to this author Click to add this author to your buddy list
#1030, "This analogy makes me think of a versatile two-hander p..."
In response to Reply #4

..neatly controlled with a Tac 2.

SPNFri 18-Nov-05 02:43 PM
Member since 24th Oct 2004
352 posts
Click to send email to this author Click to view this author's profile Click to add this author to your buddy list Click to send message via AOL IM
#1031, "This might be the funniest thing I have heard in awhile..."
In response to Reply #4

but it is so true.

nepentheFri 18-Nov-05 07:07 PM
3430 posts
Click to send private message to this author Click to view this author's profile Click to add this author to your buddy list
#1032, "RE: The best analogy"
In response to Reply #4

This is pretty true.

If you're going to pay attention to shifting (i.e., you're going to be actively using your dedicate moves), two-hander is better.

If you're not (i.e. you're going to spend more time healing, using attack communes, or bashed into next week), shielder is better.

Neither is really a better choice overall; it depends on your style of play and the specifics of your character. If you want to play more like a warrior with sanc/heal, two hand looks good, and if you want to play more like a healer or mage, shield looks good, and so on.

Top General Discussions New Player Q&A Topic #1024 Previous topic | Next topic