Subject: "January 2015" Previous topic | Next topic
Printer-friendly copy Email this topic to a friend CF Website
Top General Discussions Announcements Code Changes Topic #116
Show all folders

ScarabaeusSun 08-Feb-15 11:33 PM
Member since 19th Feb 2011
1524 posts
Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author Click to view this author's profile Click to add this author to your buddy list
#116, "January 2015"

• Characters may no longer compose notes while fighting or asleep.

• Mummy incubation period shortened from 5 days to 3 days.

Alert | IP Printer Friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Reply RE: notes, Quixotic, 13-Jan-15 11:33 PM, #2
Reply RE: notes, Umiron, 14-Jan-15 12:47 PM, #3
     Reply It's pretty lame.., Lhydia, 14-Jan-15 06:45 PM, #4
          Reply Are you serious?, incognito, 16-Jan-15 04:17 PM, #5
          Reply RE: It's pretty lame.., dolt, 17-Jan-15 04:24 PM, #6
          Reply Fantastic idea, Tsunami, 18-Jan-15 03:42 PM, #7
          Reply In principle, incognito, 18-Jan-15 03:42 PM, #8
          Reply RE: It's pretty lame.., Umiron, 14-Jan-15 06:55 PM, #9
Reply Really curious as to why you made the change to note co..., TJHuron, 13-Jan-15 11:33 PM, #1

QuixoticTue 13-Jan-15 07:13 PM
Member since 09th Feb 2006
830 posts
Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author Click to add this author to your buddy list
#118, "RE: notes"
In response to Reply #0

Why can't they compose while asleep? It is a good thing to do with the downtime!

UmironWed 14-Jan-15 12:47 PM
Member since 29th May 2017
1495 posts
Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author Click to add this author to your buddy list
#119, "RE: notes"
In response to Reply #2

I guess there is/was some concern that characters were using notes to call for help in scenarios where that would be considered abuse.

Also, while the mechanics of notes in CF are probably a bit nonsensical in the first place, it just makes sense that characters who are asleep could not write notes/letters.

LhydiaWed 14-Jan-15 05:38 PM
Member since 04th Mar 2003
2382 posts
Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author Click to view this author's profile Click to add this author to your buddy list
#120, "It's pretty lame.."
In response to Reply #3

Notes are what people do when they have to spend a lot of time sleeping to recoup mana, hp, and movement. Now people are just going to go AFK more often. Clearly IMMs don't have to sleep and don't play mortals that do. Why not just punish the people who abused notes? If I use the newbie channel to ask a cabalmate to wake me are you going to change the way people use the newbie channel or punish my character?

incognitoThu 15-Jan-15 01:03 AM
4495 posts
Click to add this author to your buddy list
#123, "Are you serious?"
In response to Reply #4

How many times have we seen those being punished complain that if imms wanted us to know something was inappropriate they should make it impossible to do?

Sure, I mostly write notes when asleep but I have seen this abused first hand.

doltFri 16-Jan-15 11:41 PM
Member since 27th Dec 2007
96 posts
#124, "RE: It's pretty lame.."
In response to Reply #4

Why noy just put a x time delay in when the note is actually sent/received? X could be 10 minutes or even more or less. It would make it really hard to abuse notes then or so one would think.

TsunamiSat 17-Jan-15 05:21 PM
Member since 25th Mar 2008
1509 posts
#125, "Fantastic idea"
In response to Reply #6

I don't care about the note change, but if we are going for realism in any capacity...

Delayed action notes (I'd argue hour+) would make sense, considering the missive has to be dispersed amongst the recipients.

Hell, let's make a Theran postal system. Have a post office and couriers that run around delivering mail directly to character. now I can kill a courier and intercept messages too.

incognitoSun 18-Jan-15 03:34 AM
4495 posts
Click to add this author to your buddy list
#126, "In principle"
In response to Reply #6

A good idea, although it could still be used to summon an organia rescue, for example.

UmironSun 08-Feb-15 11:33 PM
Member since 29th May 2017
1495 posts
#121, "RE: It's pretty lame.."
In response to Reply #4

Writing a note takes a while. Entering the note into the MUD almost certainly doesn't. I'm sure you'll manage.

To reiterate, it was the consensus of a number of immortals that notes while asleep doesn't make sense. That alone probably wouldn't have been enough for me to bother changing it, but since people apparently mis-use notes as well, this is where we've landed.

I will probably tweak the code so that notes can be listed/read while asleep which I think was a minor oversight (or laziness) based on how notes are coded. Otherwise, I'm happy with this change.

And behave yourself on the newbie channel, please.

TJHuronTue 13-Jan-15 04:36 PM
Member since 28th Nov 2007
1132 posts
#117, "Really curious as to why you made the change to note co..."
In response to Reply #0

nt

Top General Discussions Announcements Code Changes Topic #116 Previous topic | Next topic