Subject: "(CON LOSS) [None] Ghrimriddor Frosthammer the Exiled Ba..." Previous topic | Next topic
Printer-friendly copy Email this topic to a friend CF Website
Top General Discussions The Battlefield Topic #98439
Show all folders

Death_AngelFri 08-Apr-11 08:40 PM
Member since 01st Oct 2024
17200 posts
Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author Click to view this author's profile Click to add this author to your buddy list
#98439, "(CON LOSS) [None] Ghrimriddor Frosthammer the Exiled Barbarian, Seeker of the Great Siege"

Fri Apr 8 20:36:25 2011

At 8 o'clock PM, Day of Deception, 2nd of the Month of the Sun
on the Theran calendar Ghrimriddor perished, never to return.

Race:dwarf
Class:warrior
Level:51
Alignment:Good
Ethos:Chaotic
Cabal:None, None
Hours:346

Alert | IP Printer Friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Reply Good Char, Grimkral (Anonymous), 14-Apr-11 02:47 PM, #75
Reply It was interactions with your character I was the most ..., TMNS, 15-Apr-11 12:30 AM, #76
Reply RE: (CON LOSS) [None] Ghrimriddor Frosthammer the Exile..., Doban (Anonymous), 11-Apr-11 02:42 PM, #62
Reply Bartis was one of my favorite villagers ever., TMNS, 11-Apr-11 03:12 PM, #63
     Reply I'd love to see that log, TJHuron, 11-Apr-11 05:49 PM, #68
     Reply I'll post that one and a couple others on Officials., TMNS, 11-Apr-11 06:24 PM, #69
     Reply One of mine too, incognito, 12-Apr-11 02:54 PM, #72
Reply RE: (CON LOSS) [None] Ghrimriddor Frosthammer the Exile..., Thrawk (Anonymous), 11-Apr-11 01:25 PM, #52
Reply Yeah, Ghrim was trying to bait you into doing something..., TMNS, 11-Apr-11 02:22 PM, #60
Reply RE: (CON LOSS) [None] Ghrimriddor Frosthammer the Exile..., Athioles, 10-Apr-11 12:26 AM, #22
Reply Ghrim's oldest friend., Ghrim (Anonymous), 10-Apr-11 10:44 AM, #27
Reply RE: (CON LOSS) [None] Ghrimriddor Frosthammer the Exile..., Sollin, 09-Apr-11 05:25 AM, #6
Reply Semi-rambling attempt at a goodbye., Ghrim (Anonymous), 08-Apr-11 10:05 PM, #2
Reply Enjoyed our interactions., Uhariz (Anonymous), 08-Apr-11 11:33 PM, #3
Reply RE: Semi-rambling attempt at a goodbye., Bajula, 08-Apr-11 11:44 PM, #4
Reply RE: Semi-rambling attempt at a goodbye., Zrak (Anonymous), 09-Apr-11 02:25 AM, #5
Reply I actually gotta credit you., Ghrim (Anonymous), 11-Apr-11 01:18 AM, #36
Reply Damned good job!, Nnaeshuk, 09-Apr-11 06:12 AM, #7
Reply Yeah, you're probably Ghrim's favorite of the heroimms., Ghrim (Anonymous), 11-Apr-11 01:22 AM, #38
Reply I liked Ghrim., Allysia (Anonymous), 09-Apr-11 09:21 AM, #8
Reply Bards just ruin villagers., Ghrim (Anonymous), 11-Apr-11 01:16 AM, #35
     Reply I appreciate that a lot, thanks., Allysia (Anonymous), 11-Apr-11 03:48 PM, #64
Reply Imms: Look at this., Nailed_IT (Anonymous), 09-Apr-11 10:00 AM, #9
Reply Great Character., Malakhi, 09-Apr-11 11:12 AM, #10
Reply Coming from you, this means a lot., Ghrim (Anonymous), 11-Apr-11 01:18 AM, #37
Reply You were a cool cat, Throthgor (Anonymous), 09-Apr-11 12:34 PM, #11
Reply I won't lie, you and Doban were my favorites., Ghrim (Anonymous), 11-Apr-11 01:23 AM, #39
Reply Oh Ghrimmy, Homard, 09-Apr-11 12:36 PM, #12
Reply The Elgroth rescue situation..., Ghrim (Anonymous), 09-Apr-11 12:58 PM, #13
     Reply How did I get Rupen and Elgroth confused? I must be ove..., Homard, 09-Apr-11 01:17 PM, #14
     Reply RE: The Elgroth rescue situation..., Drasdan (Anonymous), 09-Apr-11 07:17 PM, #17
Reply I thought Ghrim was a good character..., Twist, 09-Apr-11 05:42 PM, #15
Reply I totally agree with your assessment. I have no apolog..., Ghrim (Anonymous), 09-Apr-11 06:57 PM, #16
Reply Absolute crap of village char, MRSK, 09-Apr-11 08:56 PM, #18
Reply I'm sorry you can't accept losing. NT, Ghrim (Anonymous), 09-Apr-11 09:23 PM, #19
     Reply I never died to you with any character. , Lhydia, 09-Apr-11 11:20 PM, #20
     Reply So you had 4 chars in the time he had 1? , Oldril, 10-Apr-11 08:48 AM, #24
     Reply Yep. I tend to stop playing characters when I stop enjo..., Lhydia, 10-Apr-11 09:59 AM, #26
     Reply For the record..., Ghrim (Anonymous), 11-Apr-11 01:08 AM, #32
          Reply LOL., Lhydia, 11-Apr-11 05:28 AM, #40
               Reply Who is your villager we should all be more like?, Oldril, 11-Apr-11 07:57 AM, #42
               Reply lol, you serious? Look up Faeghn.~, blackbird, 11-Apr-11 01:00 PM, #47
                    Reply I looked up the char, Oldril, 11-Apr-11 01:53 PM, #57
                         Reply Dude, hes played great ragers, Gaplemo, 11-Apr-11 02:06 PM, #58
                         Reply Faeghn was actually pretty awesome., TMNS, 11-Apr-11 02:20 PM, #59
               Reply I'm sorry you didn't like the char., Ghrim (Anonymous), 11-Apr-11 11:04 AM, #44
                    Reply RE: Jealousy and Power Gaming.., Lhydia, 11-Apr-11 03:56 PM, #65
                         Reply So many incorrect assumptions and facts in this post., TMNS, 11-Apr-11 04:42 PM, #66
                              Reply Umm.., Lhydia, 11-Apr-11 04:51 PM, #67
     Reply Myself, I killed you two or three times without ever dy..., robdarken_, 10-Apr-11 07:44 AM, #23
     Reply I'm not sure why you have a problem., Ghrim (Anonymous), 11-Apr-11 12:57 AM, #31
     Reply I had to deal with you over a few characters., Batman (Anonymous), 10-Apr-11 06:12 PM, #30
          Reply I'd appreciate examples so I can be better next time., Ghrim (Anonymous), 11-Apr-11 01:12 AM, #33
               Reply See, that ruins my attempt to be nice., Batman (Anonymous), 11-Apr-11 05:49 AM, #41
                    Reply Why are you getting so upset?, Ghrim (Anonymous), 11-Apr-11 11:12 AM, #45
                         Reply Your thinly veiled attempt at sounding reasonable is lo..., Batman (Anonymous), 11-Apr-11 01:04 PM, #49
                              Reply Wow. You're really worked up about this., TMNS, 11-Apr-11 01:19 PM, #50
                                   Reply I don't understand., Batman (Anonymous), 11-Apr-11 01:38 PM, #53
                                        Reply Well, you did do the fascinating..., TMNS, 11-Apr-11 01:49 PM, #56
Reply RE: Semi-rambling attempt at a goodbye., Borkahd, 09-Apr-11 11:21 PM, #21
Reply For the record, I the player love Borkahd., Ghrim (Anonymous), 11-Apr-11 01:14 AM, #34
     Reply RE: For the record, I the player love Borkahd., Borkahd, 12-Apr-11 12:21 AM, #70
Reply The difference between RolePlayers and PowerGamers, HammerSong, 10-Apr-11 09:55 AM, #25
Reply Thanks. This means a lot. , Ghrim (Anonymous), 10-Apr-11 10:48 AM, #28
Reply I didn't like or dislike Ghrim..., Gaplemo, 10-Apr-11 01:49 PM, #29
Reply I can easily deflect your post. nt, Dallevian, 11-Apr-11 08:58 AM, #43
     Reply Deflect it? It wasn't for or against him., Gaplemo, 11-Apr-11 12:47 PM, #46
          Reply Here's who had bad things to say., Ghrim (Anonymous), 11-Apr-11 01:03 PM, #48
               Reply No man, Its not that., Gaplemo, 11-Apr-11 01:24 PM, #51
                    Reply To be honest, the IMMs know who my player was., TMNS, 11-Apr-11 01:40 PM, #54
                         Reply +1 nt, Gaplemo, 11-Apr-11 01:44 PM, #55
                              Reply Hence my comment, Dallevian, 11-Apr-11 02:31 PM, #61
Reply RE: Thanks. This means a lot. , Borkahd, 12-Apr-11 12:27 AM, #71
Reply I agree with most of this post, incognito, 12-Apr-11 03:08 PM, #73
Reply Great Char, mundin (Anonymous), 14-Apr-11 08:37 AM, #74
Reply I'll post some goodbyes once I wrap my thoughts up. NT, Ghrim (Anonymous), 08-Apr-11 08:46 PM, #1

Grimkral (Anonymous)Thu 14-Apr-11 02:44 PM
Charter member
#98635, "Good Char"
In response to Reply #0
Edited on Thu 14-Apr-11 02:47 PM

Though we never talked much.

Only bad thing is: dying to you almost always brought frustrating experience due to looting. But this is CF. Meh.

Definitely a role model for dwarven chars. Good luck with your next

TMNSFri 15-Apr-11 12:30 AM
Member since 10th Jun 2009
2670 posts
Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author Click to view this author's profile Click to add this author to your buddy list
#98648, "It was interactions with your character I was the most ..."
In response to Reply #75

Mainly because I think after our first fight you said something along the lines "I could care less about the dwarves. I'm an exile". From then on in I couldn't see any way Ghrim wouldn't be a massive prick to you. And I the player am sorry for that.

You were also really tough for me to kill for whatever reason. I hardly ever landed a deathblow on you of any substance and you never seemed to miss a cranial on me. That fight in Ysigrath we had I was kicking myself afterwards because I made two giant mistakes.

Ah well. Glad you don't hold a grudge. I was a fan of Grimkral seeing as how he was a bit different from your norm yet similar.

Doban (Anonymous)Mon 11-Apr-11 02:42 PM
Charter member
#98553, "RE: (CON LOSS) [None] Ghrimriddor Frosthammer the Exile..."
In response to Reply #0

As I said on my death thread. Great work. One of my favs. As some others have said that your RP was incredible and you made it fun for me to be around.

I was pondering Thror's post a bit and you definitely fit the bill with Ghrim for the Roleplayer as you were always RP'ing and thick or thin you kept at it.

The thing about roleplaying is that it can get stagnant. After you've played the character for awhile you start to get tired of having the same philosophical discussions over and over again. For example, as a rager - explaining why you hate magic repeatedly. Roleplaying (for me at least) is a group activity, it sucks to do alone but is great when you have someone to RP with that is enhancing the experience. You did this for me with Ghrim.

TMNSMon 11-Apr-11 03:12 PM
2670 posts
#98554, "Bartis was one of my favorite villagers ever."
In response to Reply #62

You were so freaking tough it was insane. Even with Rhyaldrin and Biklaha and me (the lion - Ixralleinda) having ABS, you still almost slaughtered us all.

That's what real ragers do.

It was a pleasure. Doban was so great. I got a classic log for you soon. When we basically warred with Nexus over and over and over again, and we all died repeatedly but kept rolling with the punches and eventually took the item.

I honestly was hoping you or Zrakkna would get named Commander, and I could just be in the background focusing on my RP. Ah well. I'm glad I could be in the cabal with a player of your caliber.

PS Doesn't it suck when you could of killed someone but you enter the wrong command at the wrong time? When you said that to me as Doban, I wanted to be like 'Yep, happens to me all the time'. Heh.

TJHuronMon 11-Apr-11 05:49 PM
Member since 28th Nov 2007
1132 posts
Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author Click to add this author to your buddy list
#98560, "I'd love to see that log"
In response to Reply #63

Yeah, I remember that. I was hard to stay in character and not do a little friendly venting! It seemed like we experienced alot of the same "player frustrations". It was almost like a bit of unluckiness came with the prophecy. I think that helped our chars bond a bit.

Heck, I'm happy you were named Commander! I was even happy that you didn't pick me as Drillmaster. I thought you made the right choice and even wrote it my role that way.

That's cool you remember and liked Bartis. I really appreciate that. I wondered if anyone would know that because Doban was a twist on the same build. I always regretted deleting Bartis with about 5 con points left and so I wanted to give it another go. Since I didn't want to do an exact replica I thought I'd experiment and see if I could tweak the build for the better. As anyone can plainly see. I definitely couldn't. Let's just say I learned a bunch about certain game mechanics, which is always a plus.

Let me know if you're going to post that log or PM it to me. I'd love to see it. I'll look and see if I have any good ones too.

TMNSMon 11-Apr-11 06:24 PM
2670 posts
#98561, "I'll post that one and a couple others on Officials."
In response to Reply #68

Keeps the retard gallery from commenting

I'm just not great at PK. I'm alright (in that I can hold my own and no character/player just steamrolls me everytime) but no where even close to Marcus, Twist, Shapa, Beront, Jalim, etc.

incognitoTue 12-Apr-11 02:54 PM
Member since 04th Mar 2003
4495 posts
Click to add this author to your buddy list
#98588, "One of mine too"
In response to Reply #63

He was pretty tough to kill, so I remember once when I had to retrieve I gaunted him to the calm dune in the sands of sorrow, recalled myself and retrieved while he tried to find his way out.

By the time I was done other scions were onto him and I think he went down 1 vs 3, but took out a mage on our side first. Pretty cool on his part, imho.

Thrawk (Anonymous)Mon 11-Apr-11 01:25 PM
Charter member
#98543, "RE: (CON LOSS) [None] Ghrimriddor Frosthammer the Exile..."
In response to Reply #0

I liked Ghrim. Solid Dwarf roleplay for sure. We fought a couple of times. I got you, you got me, it was fun. Only negative comment I have is you always calling me out of Town to fight, but everyone does that. I'm a Tribunal, gotta use what I have.

You'll be missed as a foe. Pretty classy with all the interactions I had with you. Team Tribunal for the next one?

TMNSMon 11-Apr-11 02:22 PM
2670 posts
#98551, "Yeah, Ghrim was trying to bait you into doing something..."
In response to Reply #52

I the player never thought less of you for not taking him up on the offer.

I don't know if I can do another Trib. I thought the cabal is incredibly boring and limited. You basically have to sit in town and wait for someone to attack you.

AthiolesSun 10-Apr-11 12:26 AM
Member since 09th Jan 2011
392 posts
#98489, "RE: (CON LOSS) [None] Ghrimriddor Frosthammer the Exile..."
In response to Reply #0

We came up together and had a many hundreds of hours of development. You helped point my character in a very specific direction which I won't touch on until my own death thread. Until then I'll just say damn fine job. I really wish we'd of been (entirely) on the same side, but I was impressed with what you did within the village.

Good luck with the next!

Ghrim (Anonymous)Sun 10-Apr-11 10:44 AM
Charter member
#98495, "Ghrim's oldest friend."
In response to Reply #22

I'll get around to posting a log that has me and you in our 20s sitting around chatting. It's kinda funny considering where our paths led.

I was extremely happy that other than that one time, we never crossed maces. You were a beast with sealing the deal on your enemies, and I knew that based on the massive amounts of complaining I heard about you. So you must have been doing something right!

I'm really interested to see where Athioles' story ends. Hope you had as much fun as it looked like.

SollinSat 09-Apr-11 05:25 AM
Member since 31st Jan 2011
78 posts
#98455, "RE: (CON LOSS) [None] Ghrimriddor Frosthammer the Exile..."
In response to Reply #0

Thanks for the fun! Sounds like you really enjoyed playing this character. You were one of Sollin's oldest companions, and I certainly appreciated interacting with you.

Goodluck with whatever comes next! I think I can hear team Fortress calling your name...

Sollin

Ghrim (Anonymous)Fri 08-Apr-11 10:05 PM
Charter member
#98443, "Semi-rambling attempt at a goodbye."
In response to Reply #0

First of all, I'd like to say that I rolled this character to sit around 25-35 in the Fortress and retrieve and rack up a ton of PKs for a goodie. I'm never really had a successful good character, at least PK wise, and I figured I was about due. Empire at the time was beating the crap out of everyone, and so that was my thought process.

I guess Thror decided otherwise, as around rank 8 I'm doing various quests and all of a sudden some shadowy figure starts talking to me. And away I went.

I decided ultimately on the village when the first time the drow massed and tried to kill I was at the Fortress and two mages (one was an invoker and one was a conjurer) were casting spells that were hitting their cabal-mates and setting fires, etc. Once the IMM in charge of that interaction stole away the young dwarf who was supposedly the only survivor of the Frosthammer's, I decided to move the character focus towards the village.

Can't say I ever expected to receive the amount of the attention I got from the Immortals with this character. Every single interaction I got I kinda felt like I was the less than intelligent kid in the gifted class, heh. All in all I have nothing but good things to say about the immortals.

Then, I kinda hit a rut around hours 250-275. I had been hero for around 100+ hours and the constant raid/re-raid/retrieve/fight gangs dynamic just kinda...made me feel like the character was stagnating. I thought and talked to people about uninducting myself two weeks before Karkarrak challenged me. So when he challenged me and won, I figured it was a perfect time to switch things up.

Thror - You are really one of the best Roleplayer's I've ever had the pleasure of interacting with. You took a character that had no real RP plans and totally fleshed him out, and gave me motivation to step up my own RP. I can't thank you enough for everything. I hope all is well and I'm sorry I couldn't survive to see this through. I suppose I could have run from every fight or tried to sit in PK-"safe" areas, but that never really fit into Ghrim's RP. I probably shouldn't have tried to fight some imperial gangs without magic/powers though, in hindsight. That's pretty much where my last 3 con went, heh. I didn't want to make peace with Empire for that month there was a truce, but I figured you were getting sick of me getting trapped behind centurions and massacred by all the lowbie imperials as a level 27 Commander. I did my best to bring the village back to a position of strength, and I hope I didn't disappoint you too much.

All the other IMMs - You guys are great. Thanks for running CF and even if I don't say it often, I appreciate everything you do. Nnaeshuk, Borkahd and Malakhi need to write their god damn areas already though hahahaha.

All in all my allies and enemies were pretty awesome. Certain people did certain things I disagreed with, but on the whole the level of RP I received was quite high (as I said, there were the few exceptions). If any specific player/character wants to hear my thoughts about the character, do respond and I'll try to answer any questions.

Leading the village was tough, I won't lie. I never expected to be named Commander (in fact, I've done everything I can with past characters NOT to be named leader) but I tried to do my best once I was given that position. I'm sure I made some mistakes, and I'm sure I probably should have booted more characters, but as I said I tried my best. Being a leader isn't very easy, as you have to hear constant complaints (justified or unjustified) and you have to interview/induct (I tried to RP all my inductions and make them a little special, but sometimes RealLife and things happening in game sometimes changed that), as well as people hold you to a certain standard. I have no shame in saying I'm not 1/10th the PKer of past commanders. I'm no pushover, but I'm no Marcus either. Last thought on that is, being a goodie rager is tough. Being a goodie commander of village is REALLY HARD. I probably should have made more effort to make my time as the commander stand out, but I did what I could. I did try to make a couple edicts/commands that I thought would aid the village in the long run, but I'm not sure how well those were received.

Towards the end, I was ready for Ghrim's story to finish. Unfortunately I got real sick as well as having a slate of ball-busting finals at school so the last month or so I only put in 20 or so hours (which was another reason I was glad I uninducted myself). I wish I could have finished the "quest" as 3 weeks ago I ran into the damn Un'daerkthe again, but I understand that certain things just are a matter of timing. No worries on that part though.

All in all, this was my longest lived character by over a hundred hours. I enjoyed 99% of that time.

Onto the next I suppose.

Uhariz (Anonymous)Fri 08-Apr-11 11:33 PM
Charter member
#98447, "Enjoyed our interactions."
In response to Reply #2

I was really fortunate to get you in Hamsah that time. Good job con-dying a Battle quasi-leader.

BajulaFri 08-Apr-11 11:44 PM
929 posts
#98448, "RE: Semi-rambling attempt at a goodbye."
In response to Reply #2

Thwrerrorip really liked this guy. Good luck with whatever
you get into next, but ahhh don't slough off on finals for CF

Zrak (Anonymous)Sat 09-Apr-11 02:25 AM
Charter member
#98451, "RE: Semi-rambling attempt at a goodbye."
In response to Reply #2

Great dwarf. A shame I decided to take off - but I still look at the forum here and there. It's hard being the leader, and doubly hard once you reach that 200-300-400 hour mark. Sometimes it becomes more like a job then anything else, which is lame.

Get a good rp grooving, and it becomes less of a chore - it seems you were successful in that regards.

A pleasure.

Ghrim (Anonymous)Mon 11-Apr-11 01:18 AM
Charter member
#98523, "I actually gotta credit you."
In response to Reply #5

You were one of the reasons I really got into a RP groove with Ghrim. You're roleplay was so damn good during the beginnings of the quest, that along with Thror's roleplay, you made me hold a mirror up to myself so to speak and made me that much better.

I was very sad when you autoed. But I understand, Ghrim himself as I said only got to play around twenty hours the last month.

NnaeshukSat 09-Apr-11 06:12 AM
Member since 13th Apr 2010
141 posts
#98457, "Damned good job!"
In response to Reply #2

I'm sure you knew this in character, but I really, really liked Ghrim. I wish I had some more power and could have done a bit more with you, but hopefully you at least knew that I dug you. I had plans to prod you towards Fort a bit more, but real life got in the way of my plans. Best of luck with whatever's next!

Nae-nae

Ghrim (Anonymous)Mon 11-Apr-11 01:22 AM
Charter member
#98525, "Yeah, you're probably Ghrim's favorite of the heroimms."
In response to Reply #7

And close to being mine. Nae-nae was awesome to Ghrim. Those few heart to hearts really helped me flesh out the good alignment aspect to my roleplay, and really made me ask some tough questions to myself.

One day when you have a religion I'll roll a felar warrior follower for the Fort. Call myself Grim-grim ha!

Allysia (Anonymous)Sat 09-Apr-11 09:21 AM
Charter member
#98458, "I liked Ghrim."
In response to Reply #2

Of course, IC, it was more my place to dislike you as a villager, but once you were exiled I told most Keepers to leave you alone and I hope they did. I almost considered aiding you, but I doubted you would ever let the little mage protecting elf help you.

I think you handled being a leader so young quite well, considering the obvious things you would have to deal with in terms of resentment from heroes and scorn from some players for all the imm love you got. But I think the imms did a good job in choosing you, and nice to see you were the longest lived of the quest titled people.

And sorry about the times I messed with you just to amuse myself. Of course, you usually ended any interaction with threats of killing me which you tried to make good on when you heroed, and there were so many times I just sat there thinking how in the hell did I not just die in a fight with you. As you said, I tended to have amazing luck in our fights.

Anyway, hope ghrim was fun and got you inspired to play another when you have no finals or illness to worry about.

Next to Eck, I think you were Allysia's favorite villager to interact with.

Ghrim (Anonymous)Mon 11-Apr-11 01:16 AM
Charter member
#98522, "Bards just ruin villagers."
In response to Reply #8

I mean, really ruin them.

For the record, I the player and Ghrim meant every word I said to you towards the end. You kept Nexus alive and dangerous for four months, and you deserve massive appreciation for that. I know Nexus gets no love from the playerbase, as I've played several. You're doing amazingly well.

Allysia (Anonymous)Mon 11-Apr-11 03:48 PM
Charter member
#98555, "I appreciate that a lot, thanks."
In response to Reply #35

I don't know if Nexuns are dangerous, and if they are it certainly has nothing to do with me.

Hope you're out there with something else or will be soon.

And I always like the RP you bring to the table with your chars, it is absolutely stellar and is far and away some of the deepest I see from any non-imm. Anyone that says otherwise is not paying enough attention and bases things off of a very narrow set of instances would be my guess.

Nailed_IT (Anonymous)Sat 09-Apr-11 09:59 AM
Charter member
#98459, "Imms: Look at this."
In response to Reply #2
Edited on Sat 09-Apr-11 10:00 AM

+++++ Then, I kinda hit a rut around hours 250-275. I had been hero for around 100+ hours and the constant raid/re-raid/retrieve/fight gangs dynamic just kinda...made me feel like the character was stagnating. ++++++

This is exactly why CF gets old quick. It becomes "same old" in a hurry. The Cabal mechanic is old and stale. You really need to think of something new and interesting. A spin off used "stones of power" to create a more dynamic mechanic where limited resources means conflict on a lot more fronts. As well an individual has a use for a stone because if they sacrifice one it gives them a substantial boost in hp/mana for a significant period of time.

That is just an example. I would like something more insane, personally, like making all the items of power into pieces of gear that when worn give bonuses. Not too hard to change the items so they are usable.. head of a mage... skin from the head of mage.. wear as a helmet + face piece. etc.

I really do not care what the change would be but CF needs to address that and make it something more involved in everyone's existence.

Right now there are lots of ways to develop a character however it is still a character in the same old story. Old, old, old, story.

MalakhiSat 09-Apr-11 11:12 AM
Member since 12th Dec 2009
367 posts
Click to send private message to this author Click to add this author to your buddy list
#98460, "Great Character."
In response to Reply #2

This was a very well-roleplayed character, and you RP'd in a way that "raised" the bar for everyone around you. In fact, RP-wise, your reign as Commander was a high-water mark for Battle (at least, for as long as I've been invested in the cabal). It was so full of colorful characters and personalities, and I have to think the joie de vivre you brought to the table as Ghrimriddor inspired others around you to play a role. Awesome to see first-hand.

What was pretty interesting, though, is that although the Battle RP personalities were at a (IMO) several-year high, and Battle was dominating in terms of numbers and cabal politics .. for whatever reason there were only 1-2 true "PK powerhouses" throughout your reign. I have a feeling the overwhelming of that "old school" Rager mentality beneath your RP turned away some of the more "I'm going to run amok for 150-200 hours wiping my PK range and log off ASAP when there aren't any target types" but I really have no idea.

Anyway. I could go on, but really - good job. I know you had a lot of detractors and alot of supporters, but overall I think everyone appreciates characters like these that burn so brightly through force of personality alone.

Ghrim (Anonymous)Mon 11-Apr-11 01:18 AM
Charter member
#98524, "Coming from you, this means a lot."
In response to Reply #10

Finish your area!

Throthgor (Anonymous)Sat 09-Apr-11 12:34 PM
Charter member
#98461, "You were a cool cat"
In response to Reply #2

I'm with Malakhi and the positive comments on that one. People can't always be a powerhouse spec, especially a dwarf warrior who usually gets tooled pretty easily. I am shocked by the vitriolic hatred towards you. You were a good solid commander and I thought you RP'd everyone's race beautifully. I had a lot of fun being around you. SEe you in the fields.

Ghrim (Anonymous)Mon 11-Apr-11 01:23 AM
Charter member
#98526, "I won't lie, you and Doban were my favorites."
In response to Reply #11

And I saw your PBF. You didn't welsh on the bet. Ghrim is smiling from Heaven.

HomardSat 09-Apr-11 12:36 PM
Member since 10th Apr 2010
959 posts
#98462, "Oh Ghrimmy"
In response to Reply #2

My characters have served under better Commanders than you, but I've never served under anyone who was trying harder to be a great Commander.

The fact that you came up short so often was fantastic, especially from my POV, because it opened up a lot of RP angles that would never have arisen otherwise. I will always wonder what the fallout would have been if I had assassinated the acting leader of my cabal (and if I would have been able to pin it on someone else.)

Again, I'll repeat that Eck would have followed Ghrim to the end of the world, but had no faith that Ghrim would have planned a way to get back. As a result I always had an escape plan in mind whenever I was with you.

Your RP was stellar and I never saw it break for a moment, even after you ate some ridiculous deaths. Whether the Village was dominating or we were crashing against well-defended Centurions your constant inspiration was very well done. Axes 'igh!

I will say that I saw you do some stuff that was rather un-commanderly. I saw you rescue Rupen? as he battled some non-mage Tribbie in Galadon. I was hiding and saw the whole thing. Nothing came of it, but I was reasonably certain you had some RP angle to cover these breaches of parity. Another time you told me that you wouldn't hunt a certain Fort mage. Again, I knew there was an RP reason, but I kept track of these things and they were what led me to eventually conspire against you.

I'm giving you two huge thumbs up because anything crappy that Ghrim did happened 100% IC, so I'm totally okay with it.

Now, when are you going to pull off the Dwarf mask and shock us all with your true identity?

Ghrim (Anonymous)Sat 09-Apr-11 12:58 PM
Charter member
#98463, "The Elgroth rescue situation..."
In response to Reply #12

If you remember correctly, we had just raided Nexus. I wasn't sure how hurt Elgroth was, and since Marcus runs faster than anyone I've ever seen, it's not like I could catch up to him. If I remember correctly, he was WANTED too, so when I saw Umrid land an artery and hurl on him, I made a judgement and rescued him.

I told Elgroth to flee. He told me to kiss his ass. I fled. He killed Umrid.

The Fort mage thing was tricky. Basically, here was my thought process. I wasn't going to hunt them. But, if they were attacking/ganging other villagers or if they were just sitting in the same room as me thinking I wouldn't attack them, they were fair game. I always tried to maintain the fact that I was Alignment Good. It was a hard thing to do, and honestly, I would have much rather preferred to be neutral or even turned neutral (as I'm pretty sure I could have stuck it out to get my specs back). I did find it funny that when I killed Drasdan he sent a note to the Fortress basically wondering why I attacked him, heh.

Eck was great. I truly meant it when I said you were one of the best scouts I ever saw. Funny story, Athioles and other Fortress characters totally ratted you out to me, and during an interaction with Thror, Flaaayin and Amnacht, I basically flipped on Flaaayin and let him know that I knew all the stuff going on with you, Kark and him. Even with all that, Eck was someone Ghrim wanted in BATTLE.

I figure if enough people ask, I'll name some past characters. No real desire to now.

HomardSat 09-Apr-11 01:17 PM
Member since 10th Apr 2010
959 posts
#98464, "How did I get Rupen and Elgroth confused? I must be ove..."
In response to Reply #13

Anyway, knowing full well that any of your non-commanderly moments were all RP made it fine with me.

I've never tried it, but Goodie Battle RP seems to escape almost everyone who tries it. From what I saw Ghrim did a fantastic job of working through all of the contradictory situations that are bound to arise for a guy in his position. All too often once someone is in Battle race, ethos, and alignment go out the window. Things get way to friendly between Storm Giants and Fire Giants. Svirfs and Drow become best buddies. All in all I think it's pretty bleh. Ghrim was clearly a full on member of Team Good and that was refreshing.

I appreciate what you said about Eck, and he'd be inclined to agree. In a few rare moments of hubris Eck was even known to refer to himself as the "second greatest scout ever...after Susubienko."

Drasdan (Anonymous)Sat 09-Apr-11 07:17 PM
Charter member
#98476, "RE: The Elgroth rescue situation..."
In response to Reply #13

So I gotta say, the only thing I have a problem with here is the whole concept of Goodie Villagers killing Fort Mages. That time when I was with another fort mage in the Arena, you walked in and immediatly attacked him, or so it seemed. I worded him, and then missed my own word, and you one rounded me. After that, your one sentance answer just kind of stuck in my craw, then your absolute refusal to talk about it after that one sentance, just made me frustrated. I am pretty sure you attacked me other times too... But I can't remember more than that one.... Definitly think you should have been made neutral, and think that of most goodie villagers, but that said, I interracted with other characters with you too. I agree with everyone else that your RP was top notch other than that one incident.

TwistSat 09-Apr-11 05:42 PM
Member since 23rd Sep 2006
3431 posts
#98467, "I thought Ghrim was a good character..."
In response to Reply #2

...a solid rager, and an OK Commander.

You're right, being a leader is hard. And leading ragers is harder than many, due to needing to enforce the whole courage/parity thing. Being good-aligned for it probably made it harder still.

Ghrim (Anonymous)Sat 09-Apr-11 06:57 PM
Charter member
#98475, "I totally agree with your assessment. I have no apolog..."
In response to Reply #15

I was a fan of Brom.

MRSKSat 09-Apr-11 08:56 PM
Member since 06th May 2008
204 posts
#98481, "Absolute crap of village char"
In response to Reply #2

Moreso total #### as commander.

Ghrim (Anonymous)Sat 09-Apr-11 09:23 PM
Charter member
#98482, "I'm sorry you can't accept losing. NT"
In response to Reply #18

NT

LhydiaSat 09-Apr-11 11:20 PM
2390 posts
#98487, "I never died to you with any character. "
In response to Reply #19

And I totally agree with him. This assessment is based on being your enemy once and cabalmate 3 times.

OldrilSun 10-Apr-11 08:47 AM
Member since 20th Jan 2011
641 posts
Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author Click to add this author to your buddy list
#98491, "So you had 4 chars in the time he had 1? "
In response to Reply #20
Edited on Sun 10-Apr-11 08:48 AM

So you had 4 chars total, and 3 BATTLE chars since he was leadered?

But he had the crappy char who was a Battle leader as a lowbie?

you don't sound bitter at all, really

LhydiaSun 10-Apr-11 09:59 AM
2390 posts
#98494, "Yep. I tend to stop playing characters when I stop enjo..."
In response to Reply #24

Gloomp I couldn't take groups out with at hero.

Qenorith I was agitated and just stopped having fun.

Kyzraith was fun but got bored waiting for the Rites and moved on.

He was leadered as a lowbie because Thror wanted to try something different that (in my opinion) didn't really work out. Like the guy said, he didn't even intend to be a Battlerager with the character.

Ghrim (Anonymous)Mon 11-Apr-11 01:08 AM
Charter member
#98519, "For the record..."
In response to Reply #20

...I loved Gloomp. I knew it was you due to some querks that I've known you to have. I was honestly really bummed out when you deleted.

Kyzraith was awesome. I really enjoyed how you pressured the villagers to read the pillar and think about CF lore. I'm very sorry that it didn't seem like anyone was going to respond to your note. I also thought it was awesome that you took to the task I gave you with vigor. I was really bummed that 75% of the bards that were in the village when I was Commander didn't seem to do that task (it was a task I saw Thror give Shaidin and Themalril when I was around 160 hours).

Qenorith, though. Bleh. Maybe it's just something about your good-align's Jalim, but they never actually seem to be good. As in, were I unknowing of Qenorith's race, I would have swore the character was neutral. I had the same problem with Kemrin. Zaknifal I actually got along with quite well, but I remember you had a Maran thief that was a complete prick. I'm not sure if it's a problem of yours or merely my interpretation of alignment, so I won't trash you. However, I find it amazingly petty of you to post a snippet of log in order to discredit me. There was a raid going on where it was four villagers against three nexuns. I still stand by what I did there, though that isn't to say it might not have been the most ragerly thing to do. My biggest problem with Qenorith was when you, Throthgor, and...damn, I'm forgetting the other villager. When you three decided ranking was more important than protecting the Key and the Codex, and you let Allysia and Jerrokrar not only retrieve their items, but have the time to come into the Destructor and kill me. The attitude you gave me afterwards did make me Ghrim want to boot you, but I the player somewhat understood. You were an elf warrior. Striking is a great legacy, and you were underpowered until you got it.

For reference though.

1. The gods of Thera and our mortal leader deserve your utmost respect
and shall be obeyed at all times.

I told all three of you five hours before they started striking the giant that they were prepping up in Galadon together. For you to use the excuse 'We came the moment the giant was struck' isn't good enough. You knew before that that they were coming, and you decided to continue ranking.

Anyways, it does sadden me that you seemed to hate this character so much. I've had some great times with Jalim characters.

LhydiaMon 11-Apr-11 05:28 AM
2390 posts
#98528, "LOL."
In response to Reply #32

That was your absolute worst Ghrim moment for me other than the log I posted. It was one of the reasons I felt you were a horrible Commander. We're ranking on the skeletons, you say 'Nexuns might be coming.' I'm sitting there fighting 2 skeletons, we get out of that situation and I'm impaled with like 200 hp. They hit giant. We head to the village. Before we get to Galadon you're a ghost where you decided in your newbness that it'd be a cool idea for you to go defend against 4 people solo and let them trip you to death before cavalry arrives.

The worst part was you demanded that if we didn't go gang one of them and you didn't see one of their skulls you were uninducting someone. Everyone else ignored talking to you and went about trying to kill someone, I actually tried to interact with you while getting my kill. I'd love for you to post the log of you whining and crying about that death for literally the next 30 minutes and blaming the 3 of us for you being an idiot and dying to the group. Like you said. There were 5 ticks between you saying a group was in Galadon to you dying to them.

Learn how to handle a death without blaming everyone else, yes you pissed me off a great deal with that and I probably didn't give you elven hugs of cherry wine and sunshine when you threatened to uninduct me because of your own shortcomings. I'd never seen a Battle Leader take deaths as poorly as you did over CB, and you died all the time. Also setting policies to purposefully full loot/sac people is really gay.

OldrilMon 11-Apr-11 07:57 AM
641 posts
#98532, "Who is your villager we should all be more like?"
In response to Reply #40

I'd like to see some logs of your badass rager if you'd not mind?

blackbirdMon 11-Apr-11 01:00 PM
Member since 04th Sep 2009
178 posts
Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author Click to view this author's profile Click to add this author to your buddy list Click to send message via AOL IM
#98538, "lol, you serious? Look up Faeghn.~"
In response to Reply #42

OldrilMon 11-Apr-11 01:53 PM
641 posts
#98548, "I looked up the char"
In response to Reply #47

I didn't see anything particularly impressive beyond being mageslayer as a defender.

GaplemoMon 11-Apr-11 02:06 PM
Member since 06th May 2010
619 posts
#98549, "Dude, hes played great ragers"
In response to Reply #57

He's had loads and loads and loads of badass ragers. Like, loads and loads of them. He has plenty of pull when it comes to talking about the village.

TMNSMon 11-Apr-11 02:20 PM
2670 posts
#98550, "Faeghn was actually pretty awesome."
In response to Reply #57

I enjoyed Faeghn thoroughly.

I just don't like Jalim's good aligns.

Ghrim (Anonymous)Mon 11-Apr-11 11:04 AM
Charter member
#98535, "I'm sorry you didn't like the char."
In response to Reply #40

But stop spouting misinformation to make me look bad.

It was two people, Allysia and Jerrokrar. We lost both items. It was roughly eight game hours from the time I told you they were prepping and getting ready to come retrieve. Listen, even if you all were horribly injured from ranking, just having you there would have more than likely turned the tide in that fight.

If you can't understand why a good-aligned dwarven commander of battle was upset that his cabal-mates left him out to dry, I don't know what to tell you. Does being in a cabal mean anything to you other than powers that you receive for joining? Ghrim was ready to risk his life for the village and every character in it, even the ones he didn't personally like.

Also, I told you three to kill Jerrokrar or Allysia. I never once said to gang any of them. What's funny is you were the one bitching for several hours about how that wasn't fair and that you tried to return (meanwhile, the other two villagers expressed disappointment and remorse for not being there, which is funny because neither of them were a good aligned character like you were) but you didn't make it back in time. What's really funny is that I the player felt bad for making that edict and so I made it conditional that I wanted to see at least one person who was our enemy dead, seeing as how, you know, you guys are villagers. You end up killing Kervatus? in Galadon.

My own shortcomings? Did you read Thror's post or do you just live in a delusional world where you are always right? I the player thought differently than Ghrim. I the player oftentimes felt Ghrim was doing something I disagreed with. However, I tried this thing called roleplay, whereas you in this response perfectly exemplify what Thror describes as a powergamer. So well done Jalim in proving what most of us already know.

You know, I really liked you the player before this character, even though we've had many differences in game. Now I just think you're a petty, jealous little man. Which makes me sad.

Do better.

LhydiaMon 11-Apr-11 03:56 PM
2390 posts
#98556, "RE: Jealousy and Power Gaming.."
In response to Reply #44

Okay, now knowing the player this makes a lot of sense and I know why you're such a RAAAAAAAAAAAAGER.

I like how you're holier than thou about power gaming yet your last character was Jindicho. You level sat at prime for like 3 weeks.

You did the same thing with this guy until you started getting a lot of pressure to rank.

Jealousy probably isn't the right word, but I was and always am annoyed when pre 30 characters get crazy rewards. It isn't a jealousy thing, its a 'Why tf would IMMs reward a character this crazily pre 30?' It always stinks of OOCness and smacks of the game not being about what you know but who you know or who knows you.

If Battle was so bad off that you couldn't get inspired enough to hold a rites because of crap players, odds are that alienating the cabal dogma completely and the things people love about Battle (rites) probably isn't the best method of fixing it.

I <3 Thror tons but bleh I'm not a fan. The Rites is a great time.

That was off subject.

I still <3 you Sam but I really couldn't stand this character. I know you don't like losing ever but taking it out on those around you gets old. Full sac'ing folks as a policy is also ####ed up, if you don't want to get looted don't be such a toolbox to people.

TMNSMon 11-Apr-11 04:42 PM
2670 posts
#98557, "So many incorrect assumptions and facts in this post."
In response to Reply #65

It all boils down to, "Did the player of Kemrin just accuse me of level-sitting?".

I'm not sure if you're the pot or the kettle here. Maybe both.

PS That rule was to aid hero villagers. Who were getting slaughtered by Nexus/Empire. And after the rule went into effect, I think we lost the head a total of fifteen times. Want to know what's really funny? I didn't even follow my own rule. So for you to assume that was for my benefit shows how ignorant and petty your argument is.

Every post you make makes you look worse (and me, for responding). Not sure why you want to continue this.

LhydiaMon 11-Apr-11 04:51 PM
2390 posts
#98558, "Umm.."
In response to Reply #66

I never claimed to be super arpee god guy though as defense for my douchebaggery. Mostly I powergame because its really fun to me to play that way, sometimes I play RP characters because thats fun too. Sometimes I'm able to combine both to everyones enjoyment. I have tons of flaws and I don't usually try to hide them for the most part, and I don't hesitate to call other people out when they're being ####ty.

robdarken_Sun 10-Apr-11 07:44 AM
Member since 09th Sep 2009
374 posts
Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author Click to view this author's profile Click to add this author to your buddy list Click to send message via AOL IM
#98490, "Myself, I killed you two or three times without ever dy..."
In response to Reply #19

I can't speak more on this until I delete the couple characters I've interacted with you on, but I thought you were trashy based on the way you spoke to me and ran the village, you would talk a lot of trash for no reason and cry a lot when you died. The subject of your post pretty much mirrors the attitude you seemed to have in game.

You also left me with a "bleh" taste in my mouth as an ally after interacting with you.

Ghrim (Anonymous)Mon 11-Apr-11 12:57 AM
Charter member
#98518, "I'm not sure why you have a problem."
In response to Reply #23

You do understand the concept of roleplay and the fact that as a character, often times you thoughts will be different than the player's?

An example. Say Ghrim got killed by an invoker and an anti-paladin. Now, Ghrim is going to comment on the fact that it took two people to kill him. Maybe even call one the people who killed him a coward. I the player however think it's perfectly within the rights of two murderous bastards to join together and kill a villager with extreme prejudice.

To me, in character whining is easy to differentiate from out-of-character whining. If Ghrim said something like 'Ye farg'n ####e! Yer ah cowardly git!', that's a lot different than 'You ####ing piece of ####, I can't believe you ganged me!'

Also, a relevant part of the dwarf helpfile.

'Ever prideful, dwarves will generally hold honor in a high regard, their strength, ability and words an extension that most prefer not to have questioned. With this, many have whispered that a dwarven oath carries the weight to begin and end wars. So fierce is their loyalty towards others of their race and those lucky enough to be called friends, that it is often said with grim seriousness that it is far more deadly to kill a friend of a dwarf than it is to assault the dwarf directly.'

And from the dwarven speech helpfile.

'Attributed as a testament to their short tempers, the loud use of colorful phrases or curses may sometimes slip it's way into the average dwarf's speech, something which even the most refined of dwarves may succumb to.'

I really have no idea why you are trashing me aside from the fact that you seem to have this ideal you want me to uphold. I'm sorry, but I don't roleplay for your narrow definition.

Batman (inactive user)Sun 10-Apr-11 06:12 PM
Charter member
#98510, "I had to deal with you over a few characters."
In response to Reply #19

And I'm not meaning to flame or anything - I just didn't enjoy you much at all. You just left a sour taste in my mouth despite interacting with you from enemy and ally positions. I never really got to see much RP beside a bit of Dorf-speak and Battle-references, but nothing about you stood out to me in comparison to some really cool villagers that came about just before you.

Ghrim (Anonymous)Mon 11-Apr-11 01:12 AM
Charter member
#98520, "I'd appreciate examples so I can be better next time."
In response to Reply #30

Otherwise how am I to know what I screwed up and how to fix it?

I keep hearing a negative vibe from a small section of the playerbase, but other than half-truths and assumptions, I don't know why?

I have to assume you're all just upset I was given opportunities you weren't, which I can understand. I've stated in the goodbye that I wasn't the best rager nor did I deserve all the attention I got. I'm not sure what those of you who disliked this character want from me.

Batman (inactive user)Mon 11-Apr-11 05:49 AM
Charter member
#98529, "See, that ruins my attempt to be nice."
In response to Reply #33

I tried to explain, without any flaming attempt, that I just didn't like you.

You say: "I have to assume you're all just upset I was given opportunities you weren't, which I can understand." - Which is the equivalent of "You jelly!".

No, I wasn't jealous. Thanks though. I don't see why you'd attempt to set something so petty as the reason I don't like you. Is it really impossible to imagine someone disliking your character without them being jealous?

Anyway, no, #### you.

Once my characters are gone I'll gladly explain some more ####ty stuff I saw from you - no issue. Until then, you can go back to jerking yourself off over how grand you are, as I'm horribly jealous and obviously only disliked Ghrimriddor due to me bein' jelly of his rewards. I guess that means I also hate those silly role winners, the various other cabal leaders, that omega-titled tribbie paladin, etc.

Oh wait.

I don't.

Ghrim (Anonymous)Mon 11-Apr-11 11:12 AM
Charter member
#98536, "Why are you getting so upset?"
In response to Reply #41

Here is your original post.

>And I'm not meaning to flame or anything - I just didn't enjoy you much at all. You just left a sour taste in my mouth despite interacting with you from enemy and ally positions. I never really got to see much RP beside a bit of Dorf-speak and Battle-references, but nothing about you stood out to me in comparison to some really cool villagers that came about just before you.<

So you basically tell me I sucked and my RP was non-existant.

Here's my post.

>Otherwise how am I to know what I screwed up and how to fix it?

I keep hearing a negative vibe from a small section of the playerbase, but other than half-truths and assumptions, I don't know why?

I have to assume you're all just upset I was given opportunities you weren't, which I can understand. I've stated in the goodbye that I wasn't the best rager nor did I deserve all the attention I got. I'm not sure what those of you who disliked this character want from me.<

I basically say, yes, I wasn't the best rager and I probably didn't deserve the attention I got. I then wondered why other than Jalim, everyone who said I sucked gave me no specific examples. That if I don't know what I did to make people not like me, how am I supposed to fix that behavior in the future.

You proceed to flame the crap out of me and get extremely upset stating you aren't jealous. You also say when your characters are gone you'll explain everything I did. Which is great, except for the fact that you probably could have done that already and you haven't. I'm not hiding from anything Ghrim did. It's not like you can character assassinate someone who is already dead.

Which leads me to believe that you, Jalim and Rob, who, by the way, always agree with each other on Dio's and back each other up, just are upset about this character for irrational reasons. I can't do anything to help that. You didn't like the character. I get it. Do better with yours and prove to me how it's done then.

Batman (inactive user)Mon 11-Apr-11 01:04 PM
Charter member
#98540, "Your thinly veiled attempt at sounding reasonable is lo..."
In response to Reply #45

Yes, I take offense to you calling me jealous. That's your attempt at dismissing any dislike I might have of your character.

I'm not even saying "watch me do better" - I don't think that's necessary to criticize someone, nor do I think your final line :"Do better with yours and prove to me how it's done then" is applicable to any line of argument, at all.

"Man, I dislike congressman X and his policies"
"Well, too bad, you had better become a congressman and show him how it's done - Otherwise you're just jealous of him!"

That doesn't work in my mind - Perhaps you were schooled in a different logic than I, though, as I am only a lowly Batman with no ability to ever dislike a character for any reason other than my jealousy - Alas!

You even doubt my criticism from my character's perspective due to me not wanting to post it and out myself. I don't like that. I also wouldn't post it while you and I were both still alive - As they weren't super defining moments in your life and they'd do nothing but be seen as char-assassination, which isn't needed, is it?

You didn't post your log of disagreeing with Qenorith while you were active. Perhaps you can understand why I don't, then, want to post this stuff while I'm still active? I'm really not trying to flame you, honest. You're just frustrating me with your inability to accept criticism without attempting to limit my view to "jealousy" or any other possible immature trait you could throw out ("Which leads me to believe that you, Jalim and Rob, who, by the way, always agree with each other on Dio's and back each other up, just are upset about this character for irrational reasons").

You see what I mean? I'm not even allowed to dislike Ghrimriddor. I'm not the only one getting bugged here, you are, else you'd accept the criticism with a simple "Oh, he doesn't like me - That's okay, he can have his opinion I guess". Do we disagree here too? Are YOU allowed to dislike characters at all? I'm curious if you allow yourself to, or if you're consistent and just apply it to your own jealousy.

"You proceed to flame the crap out of me and get extremely upset stating you aren't jealous."

Note, again, I was responding to your criticism of my point of view. Simple as that. I wasn't flaming you. I initiated with nothing but my feelings on the character. Heck, you have people congratulating you and you're not saying "YOU'RE JUST A SYCOPHANT WHO IS JEALOUS OF MY REWARDS AND THEREFORE AM SUCKING UP TO ME" - No, you accept it. Why? Why can't you apply the same mindset to my dislike as their like? I'm not extremely upset, I'm frustrated. Frustrated that I can't have a view apart from "i'm jealous". If I were trying to strawman your arguments incessantly you'd be frustrated too, I think.

"I have to assume you're all just upset I was given opportunities you weren't, which I can understand. I've stated in the goodbye that I wasn't the best rager nor did I deserve all the attention I got. I'm not sure what those of you who disliked this character want from me.<"

Read this. You're treating me like a child. "It's okay that you're jealous, bud, don't hate!". I'm not jealous. I don't know how many times I can say it :-/. This is the attitude, the one you're showing in that paragraph, that is frustrating me. And as to what I want from you? Nothing. Can I not voice my opinion on your character as much as someone complementing you? After all, what do all of those complimenting people want from you!?!?!?

So, in conclusion to this post that's a big long, I want to summarize something I've repeated multiple times but you seem to have trouble understanding(whether due to your misinterpretation of my post according to your ego, or your showing of trolling me to teach me you're the master TROLLERCOASTER): I dislike you from reasons apart from jealousy. I have an opinion of Ghrimriddor that does not mesh with yours, whether due to my differing perception of certain behaviors, policies, actions, or experiences. This in no way says you're an asshole(But from how you've posted here - Yeah, I think you're an asshole now), but it does say that I don't share your view of a given character.

So, if you would, accept my criticism without attempting to demean me. If you ever want to criticize any of my characters - FEEL FREE! I encourage you to. Share your opinion, you're right to! But, in addition to that, welcome criticism of yourself.

All in all your posts made me sad - As I didn't expect you'd be Captain Douche City, but it's cool.

What kind of Batman would I be if I didn't include a token unrelated but amusing image?:

TMNSMon 11-Apr-11 01:19 PM
2670 posts
#98541, "Wow. You're really worked up about this."
In response to Reply #49

Makes me regret sending you that PM apologizing to you about lumping you in with Rob and Stevers.

You do realize I never once said you were jealous of me in my first post. Not once. Please read the post again carefully, and try not to "read into the attitude of the paragraph". You misunderstood my point and went on a rant about how you weren't jealous of me. You keep mentioning jealously in every post of yours except for the first one, so it's reasonable for me to believe that from the attitude of your posts (see what I did there, it sucks when people make assumptions) that you must have been jealous looking back. Why else would you keep denying that you are jealous when I never stated you were?

I stated I wasn't the best rager IN MY ORIGINAL GOODBYE POST. So why do several people feel the need to criticize me for not being the best rager? It's confusing. It's like telling someone "Hey, I'm not the best forklift driver" and then that person saying later "You really suck at driving a forklift". The only reason to say something like that is to hurt the other person or try to put them down to make yourself feel better.

And yes, I don't feel it appropriate to criticize anyone until I've put myself in their shoes. That's just me. It's obvious you three don't like me. Both on Dio's and here. To me, this argument is done.

Good luck with your character. I really enjoyed our interactions in game for what it's worth. I thought you had an interesting take on your character.

Batman (inactive user)Mon 11-Apr-11 01:32 PM
Charter member
In response to Reply #50
Edited on Mon 11-Apr-11 01:38 PM

You, at all. I'm also not one to like and dislike someone in accordance with them sharing views with me or not.

"I have to assume you're all just upset I was given opportunities you weren't, which I can understand." is in your earlier post. Read it please.

You're assuming I'm jealous of you. You say it right there. Am I missing something?

""Hey, I'm not the best forklift driver" and then that person saying later "You really suck at driving a forklift""

See, I don't think that. To me it's more like an actor playing his part, afterwards saying "I don't think I did that well" and then his friends say (Persons A,B, and C):

A: "I think you did fine!"
B: "I don't think you did that well"
C: "I loved it!"

Notice, they all voiced their opinions whether or not the actor agreed with them, and he's fine with it. It's just their feeling about it. He's not going to call person B and say "Hey, man, even though we agreed - I have to assume you're just upset because I was given opportunities you weren't."

Now, take that tone and explain why I wouldn't respond back as vibrantly as you poked at me. .

"And yes, I don't feel it appropriate to criticize anyone until I've put myself in their shoes. That's just me."

That's not just you. That's most people. Let's say you don't like Obama as a president, right? Maybe you disagree with his take on policies. Are you allowed to criticize him even though you can't put yourself in his shoes? Of course you can. Sometimes you just don't like someone's take on something - even if you haven't personally done better in that given situation. You do this, everyone does this, I don't get why you said it implying you're the exception though, but whatever.

"It's obvious you three don't like me. Both on Dio's and here. "

I like you just fine. Disagreeing with you doesn't mean I dislike you, but you seem to take it as that. Paul Ott - An example I'll use hopefully without annoying him - I disagree with him. I do. But I think he's awesome still: he researches things, is well spoken, and isn't afraid to explain his view and be friendly even if he disagrees with someone. I like him. So what if we disagree? It doesn't mean I have to hate him.

So I guess you dislike me - Which is fine, but do understand I don't dislike you or something silly like that.

"Why else would you keep denying that you are jealous when I never stated you were?"

Your first paragraph is a perfect example of poking at me without reading your own posts, but it's cool! Do your own thing, after all, as you said, you're done with the argument - Meaning nothing I say matters anyway.

I don't know what else to say. I'm surprised you're being like this honestly. I don't think it has to be an argument and I don't think it has to be over.

As you said in your PM to me, which I hope you don't mind me pasting a little from: "I actually like you. And your opinions (even if I disagree with them)". This is the aforementioned sentiment I'm talking about. So what if we disagree? I'm not going to demonize you.

Chillax, bro.

Edited: Forgot my image:

TMNSMon 11-Apr-11 01:49 PM
2670 posts
#98547, "Well, you did do the fascinating..."
In response to Reply #53

...I'm not trying to flame you, but I'm going to flame you

Listen, I really wasn't trying to imply you were jealous. Jalim maybe, but not you. I was just really confused why you/Rob/Jalim constantly char assassinated Ghrim on Dio's yet never once gave any validation to those thoughts.

You assumed from that post that I was saying you were you jealous. I was really was just wondering why people who didn't say why they disliked me disliked me. You yourself said you didn't see any RP from me. You can understand why that would require me to respond, correct? I take great pride that my RP is the strongest part of my game. God knows I suck at PK.

I just find it disingeniuous(sp?) for you to assume an attitude from my posts yet you get upset when I do the same for you.

PS, text isn't the best medium to have these types of discussions, as I think we've proved with our posts. What I meant was that it was obvious you/Rob/Jalim didn't like Ghrim (not me the person, as I said in the PM I'm gotten along with you quite well) and I felt that was really coloring the way you guys responded on this death thread.

IE There were several characters Ghrim didn't like but I refrained from posting on their Death threads. I'm a firm believer in the axiom of "If you don't have anything nice to say, don't say anything at all". That's why I felt bad that I trashed Rob on Dio's the other day, and tried to edit my post (but found it I was too late). If you want to say you were just criticizing me, I need feedback to improve myself. Saying I just sucked doesn't do anyone any good.

I'd appreciate if we continue this via Dio's PMs because I don't want to clutter the board here.

BorkahdSat 09-Apr-11 11:21 PM
Member since 17th Mar 2009
187 posts
#98488, "RE: Semi-rambling attempt at a goodbye."
In response to Reply #2

IC: Borkahd was waiting for a mistake so he could eat you. He didn't like the idea of Ghrim leading the village one bit.

OOC: Josh (me!) liked the character. You gave it a go and seemed to have a ton of fun. Props! Good luck with your next!

-----------------
"My view of Borkahd IC"
If you anger him, he'll rape you to death, eat your flesh, and sew your skin into his clothing. And if you're very, very lucky, he'll do it in that order. ~Twist

Ghrim (Anonymous)Mon 11-Apr-11 01:14 AM
Charter member
#98521, "For the record, I the player love Borkahd."
In response to Reply #21

Ghrim hated him at first, then was disgusted and repulsed by him, then grew to respect and fear him. Towards the end, Ghrim even had a tiny place in his heart for Borkahd.

For the record, that last thing you said to me would have fit in perfect for the quest Thror was running. When you told me you'd "eat someone for Ghrim" my plan was to encounter the Drow BattleMagus and then call in that favor.

Mainly because that BattleMagus was crazy buff.

Finish your area!

BorkahdTue 12-Apr-11 12:21 AM
187 posts
#98568, "RE: For the record, I the player love Borkahd."
In response to Reply #34

Thanks for the kind comment.
I'm not sure how I could have handled that (if you called in that favor) but it would have been fun.

And believe me, I'm trying!

-----------------
"My view of Borkahd IC"
If you anger him, he'll rape you to death, eat your flesh, and sew your skin into his clothing. And if you're very, very lucky, he'll do it in that order. ~Twist

HammerSongSun 10-Apr-11 09:49 AM
679 posts
#98493, "The difference between RolePlayers and PowerGamers"
In response to Reply #2
Edited on Sun 10-Apr-11 09:55 AM

Let me begin this by pointing out that I received several email messages with people accusing me of being Ghrim. While I find that flattering, the messages weren't. They were filled with slander and remarks that are sadly immature for a game with such veteran playerbase and a rich history.

I find some of that immaturity coming out in this death thread. I'd caution you to ignore it Ghrim. I'll accept the criticism since I chose to move forward with this quest and it's impact on the Village.

There is a significant difference between PowerGamers and RolePlayers. Let me point out some specifics.

PowerGamers:

1: Will delete when circumstances are not to their liking.
2: Will accuse outwardly instead of looking inward.
3: Will consider any "monkey wrench" an affront against them.
4: Will choose absolutely the "best" combination of controllable assets to succeed.

Please note, there is nothing wrong with this. However, you will sacrifice certain elements of Roleplaying to achieve this.

RolePlayers:

1: Are dynamic and more susceptible to change.
2: Will not veer far off the original concept.
3: Are involved for the experience, not the objective.
4: Consider the impact on others rather than themselves.

I can go into much more detail here but I want to make certain all players understand that this is why Ghrimriddor was selected as the Commander of Battle. There were actually three other candidates. Their impact on the game (during this quest) was the basis of who/how/when they could become Commander of Battle. Being the "God of Battle" meant I could change the 'rules' and stirring up interest outside of the normal Rites of War seemed to do just that. Any distress about this should be tailored towards me, rather than this character.

Despite the above, Ghrim was an EXCELLENT roleplayer. The evolution of this character was extremely entertaining and I would imagine that the journey and experience was extremely worthwhile. I watched a lot of you and while some of the PK areas made me cringe, every moment of the RP made me applaud you. You fit perfectly the mold of the prophecy. "A babe, thrust into War," forced to lead by
circumstance rather than mandated by peers.

What made/makes the resolution of this propechy difficult is the number of primary characters that just dropped off the face of the game. How do you deal with this? You adapt. So, the quest GM, protagonists and antagonists adapted. A PowerGamer might expect the results immediately. They might expect an objective in a matter of days. The RolePlayers immersed themselves in the experience and were content with the little rewards along the way.

With that being said, amazing job Ghrim. Don't ever let your ability to inspiriationally lead fall second to being a PK powerhouse. Contrary to popular belief, I agree with your assessment of many of the Commandments in the Village. It's fairly rediculous to expect each of these circumstances to be outlined on the Tablet or Plaque. Attacking a group of BattleRagers and expecting the others to stand back and watch is what a PowerGamer would expect. The same PowerGamer wouldn't attack Knacnar or Woldrun directly, but instead take out a less threatening figure.

The Village is at the same crossroads it was at prior to your appointing as Commander. Who will lead next? Who is most capable? Who has the spine to define the village? While I see many critics in your death thread, I highly doubt any of them are up to the challenge.

- Any contention points to this should be brought to a Gameplay Forum or my Forum. I won't be posting on Dios but there have been some fairly accurate and interesting points brought up there.

Ghrim (Anonymous)Sun 10-Apr-11 10:48 AM
Charter member
#98496, "Thanks. This means a lot. "
In response to Reply #25

I never tried to rack up as many PKs as Ohbehb or be unstoppable like Woldrun.

I just tried to RP the best Ghrimriddor Frosthammer I could. I'm happy with my effort on that part.

I don't let the sour grapes get me down. I understand why each and every player is trashing me, because I know who each and every character was of those players.

Perhaps that is what drives people the most crazy about this character. Is that they have no idea who played him. And I like that.

Thanks again for the shot, the interactions, and the quest. It was the best time I've had on CF in over 6 or 7 years. I honestly didn't deserve it, but I sure as heck ran with it.

GaplemoSun 10-Apr-11 01:49 PM
619 posts
#98498, "I didn't like or dislike Ghrim..."
In response to Reply #28

Whenever I crossed you you seemed to be RPing at least, and Thror watches those things pretty close. I trust his judgement on the char being as he saw you in action way more than I ever did.

But the reason people get upset when you don't say who played the character is because usually, when somebody won't fess to who played someone with this small a playerbase, it's because they're ashamed of their actions/how they played the character and they don't want it assosiated with their forum handle because they know damn good and well it will forever tarnish their reputation in this small community.

When that is not the case, usually the character was played by an immortal. Zorszaul is a good example. With the amount of lower hell/game mechanic knowledge that guy had, and with all the extremely skilled mortals at the time not claming him. (honestly, who wouldnt claim Zorszaul? ANY of us mortals would have ) It's save to assume a staff member played him. Which is totally fine. When is the last time Daev posted a goodbye on anything he played other then Cabdru? Yet he claims to play multiple characters of all different walks of cf. I'm not saying there is anything wrong with this either, for the record. But unless you're twist, most imms don't out their mortals after death.

You can't fault people thinking either of those things though, because in years and years of cf, there are very few circumstances outside those two scenarios other than autodeletion where people don't claim their characters. People are usually proud to put their handle behind a name. Just something to think about, not trying to flame anyone.

That's what I assume you're getting so much hate at this point in the goodbye.

DallevianMon 11-Apr-11 08:58 AM
1639 posts
#98533, "I can easily deflect your post. nt"
In response to Reply #29

nt

GaplemoMon 11-Apr-11 12:40 PM
619 posts
#98537, "Deflect it? It wasn't for or against him."
In response to Reply #43
Edited on Mon 11-Apr-11 12:47 PM

Its just how it is in the cf world. Get used to it.

edited to add-Until I see a forum name behind the handle, and him not hiding behind the Ghrim name, I'm not going to respect anything the character did. Like I said, I left the judgement of the character up to Thror. I never said a bad thing about him. EVER. Everything I saw out of him was at least RP, like thror said. Did I see shady ####? Absolutely. But I left it out of his death thread out of respect. but on a battlefield thread this conflicted, I'm learning towards the "he's too ashamed to admit he played the character" side, despite what hes saying. If he would man the #### up and claim the character, I would actually respect the man. With this many people pissed off, it screams shady to me. Apparently i'm not the only one that feels that way.

I thought Ghrim was cool, but hiding behind the character name isn't earning him any respect points for me. Not on a battlefield thread like this. Not when SPECIFIC player handles aren't afraid to put their forum handles up to call him out.

Ghrim (Anonymous)Mon 11-Apr-11 01:03 PM
Charter member
#98539, "Here's who had bad things to say."
In response to Reply #46

Batman, Robdarken, Jalim, and Alex. I know why each and every one of their characters didn't like me.

Artificial has also trashed me, but honestly, people who have been caught cheating don't have any right to complain about anything.

Here's who had good things to say.

Allysia, Throthgor, Thwerrorip, Athioles, Uhariz, Nnaeshuk, Sollin, Malakhi, Borkahd, Thror, Eck, Zrakkna, and Twist.

Your claims of "this many people pissed off" seems odd.

Why does this bother you? I can show twenty other death threads where the player doesn't reveal who he was.

Would it make you feel better if I sent you a PM on Dio's telling you who I was?

PS I liked Gadriel.

GaplemoMon 11-Apr-11 01:24 PM
619 posts
#98542, "No man, Its not that."
In response to Reply #48

I wasn't trying to flame you. I've tried to be very clear that Ghrim never did anything negative to me, and I did not dislike the character. From what I saw your character had good moments, and bad moments. I think you genuinely tried with the character, and thats what counts. I cant remember the last character of mine that topped 50 pks. Probably back in 03. But I enjoy doing what I do in cf.

I just think if you had named yourself to start, you would not be getting so much hate now. People tend to take that sort of thing personally, and the more you resist it, the more they seem to think youre "ashamed" to claim the character. Honestly, if It were me, I would claim it. Ghrim played out better than any of my dozens and dozens of ragers ive tried. I've never had a commander. Thats something to be proud of dude.

Also, it looks like aside from imms, theres a big following of people that did like the character, and thought he rocked, applauded you, and would like to know who played it just so they can give you a pat on the back and give you kudos. Put a face to the character they so much enjoyed.

#### the haters dude. I would claim it for your fans, not your foes. Haters be damned. Your real handle would get nothing but a nod of approval from me.

TMNSMon 11-Apr-11 01:40 PM
2670 posts
#98545, "To be honest, the IMMs know who my player was."
In response to Reply #51

As did many of the Dio's VIPS (I posted a log once that I thought was unflattering to a certain character after I got sick of getting character assassinated over and over again, and I then asked them to delete it).

I also sent PMs to recently deleted villagers letting them know I was Ghrim.

Basically, I found it incredibly amusing that people accused Ghrim of being an Immortal or IMM lackey, especially considering how much the Immortals seemed to hate my last character (Jindicho).

I'm just glad Thror gave me the chance. It's definitely a high water mark in my CF career to be involved in such high-level RP.

GaplemoMon 11-Apr-11 01:44 PM
619 posts
#98546, "+1 nt"
In response to Reply #54

nt

DallevianMon 11-Apr-11 02:31 PM
1639 posts
#98552, "Hence my comment"
In response to Reply #55

I knew who was playing Ghrim at a very early age and he told me in a qhcf pm that when the char was over he wasn't going to reveal the player. Kind of sad that he did now but I completely understand.

BorkahdTue 12-Apr-11 12:27 AM
187 posts
#98570, "RE: Thanks. This means a lot. "
In response to Reply #28

I think it is awesome that you got fulfilled from the RP aspect. I come from a long history of hardcore RP and will always prefer RP over PK (hint for when I have a religion!).

Keep on RPing!

-----------------
"My view of Borkahd IC"

incognitoTue 12-Apr-11 03:08 PM
4495 posts
Click to add this author to your buddy list
#98593, "I agree with most of this post"
In response to Reply #25

But as a non-powergamer who tries to take down the tough enemies and passes up kills on anyone I've realised is a newb, I still think that berserkers attacking someone 3 v 1 if attacked (but unhurt and not fighting) is inconsistent with them adhering to parity when taking the offensive.

To clarify, if they wouldn't do it when initiating the attack, I don't see why they would suddenly see it as fine because they are not initiating the attack, provided they are unhurt and fully able to stand against the enemy.

mundin (Anonymous)Thu 14-Apr-11 08:37 AM
Charter member
#98631, "Great Char"
In response to Reply #2

Had a lot of fun RPing with you, even though our fights were going absolutely no where either way.

It was fun the dynamic our discussions had, how we would talk mage/villager or Provost/Commander depending on the situation but still constantly within RP. I had a lot of fun with our chats about politics. Much respect for your char. Well done.

Ghrim (Anonymous)Fri 08-Apr-11 08:46 PM
Charter member
#98441, "I'll post some goodbyes once I wrap my thoughts up. NT"
In response to Reply #0

NT

Top General Discussions The Battlefield Topic #98439 Previous topic | Next topic