Subject: "(DELETED) [None] Dzereth the Master of the Beasts" Previous topic | Next topic
Printer-friendly copy Email this topic to a friend CF Website
Top General Discussions The Battlefield Topic #94185
Show all folders

Death_AngelMon 09-Aug-10 12:16 AM
Member since 03rd Oct 2024
17206 posts
Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author Click to view this author's profile Click to add this author to your buddy list
#94185, "(DELETED) [None] Dzereth the Master of the Beasts"

Mon Aug 9 00:15:39 2010

At 5 o'clock AM, Day of Deception, 16th of the Month of the Dragon
on the Theran calendar Dzereth perished, never to return.

Race:half-drow
Class:ranger
Level:43
Alignment:Good
Ethos:Chaotic
Cabal:None, None
Hours:29

Alert | IP Printer Friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Reply Knowledgeable player knows he can get ambushed when he ..., -flso, 09-Aug-10 01:09 PM, #3
Reply you didn't tool me., Pro, 09-Aug-10 01:57 PM, #4
     Reply So you aren't knowledgeable., sleepy, 09-Aug-10 04:48 PM, #5
          Reply I never said I was. Some one else did., Pro, 09-Aug-10 08:04 PM, #6
               Reply Ugh. Pro. Seriously, look., Scrimbul, 11-Aug-10 11:27 PM, #7
Reply Oops, another I caused to delete, bliksglin, 09-Aug-10 12:44 PM, #1
     Reply Yeah. I don't remember asking about any hunters. :), Pro, 09-Aug-10 01:00 PM, #2

-flsoMon 09-Aug-10 01:09 PM
Member since 02nd Oct 2007
296 posts
Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author Click to view this author's profile Click to add this author to your buddy list
#94197, "Knowledgeable player knows he can get ambushed when he ..."
In response to Reply #0

I enjoyed tooling you especially after your taunts and bravado right before you quit the game.

ProMon 09-Aug-10 01:54 PM
Member since 14th Apr 2010
776 posts
#94199, "you didn't tool me."
In response to Reply #3
Edited on Mon 09-Aug-10 01:57 PM

I tooled myself.

And having played a 100 rangers, I've never been able to ambush a dirted ranger.

Only way I knew how was through invisibility, acute down, or if they were asleep.

I was winning the fight until that happened. Had I known you could ambush, I would have only fought you out of the wilds, which you won't do.

I tried asking Soik in character but, this being the second character I had interact with you, you waxed "hairy asshole."

I did anything but speak to you with bravado. Oh contrare, I told Soik I wasn't going to fight you again.

This ranger being able ambush a ranger while dirted is news to me.

sleepyMon 09-Aug-10 04:48 PM
Member since 24th Jul 2007
223 posts
#94200, "So you aren't knowledgeable."
In response to Reply #4

First, I doubt you played a hundred rangers. If you did, then you spend too much time on CF. Even if you played each for only 24 hours, that's still worth a hundred days of nonstop CF for each separate ranger. And 24 hours is basically just ranking them up to 35 at the most really if all you do is rank.

Second, you were tooled since you don't even know dirt allows others to ambush you.

ProMon 09-Aug-10 08:04 PM
776 posts
#94203, "I never said I was. Some one else did."
In response to Reply #5

And there is a post somewhere of all the rangers I have played. I probably have 1,000's of hours in rangers and have never ever seen that.

Live and learn.

ScrimbulWed 11-Aug-10 11:26 PM
Member since 22nd Apr 2003
884 posts
Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author Click to view this author's profile Click to add this author to your buddy list Click to send message via AOL IM Click to send message via ICQ
#94237, "Ugh. Pro. Seriously, look."
In response to Reply #6
Edited on Wed 11-Aug-10 11:27 PM

This is how ranger ambush works:

Ranger ambush requires you to be camouflaged before you attempt, period. Even if your target can see camo. This is so that faerie fire is a viable counter even if you blind the target, it's also so that rangers can't pwn lowbies in civilized areas with invis potions, which was possible at one point.

After *that* you use invis or dirt to ambush. This is why dirt;flee;return;ambush x works on rangers and wood-elves as well as mobs who can see camo.

There's a few ways to counter it once you've been dirted but not many are pleasant or fight-winning:

Faerie fire/fog the enemy ranger with a talisman or d-elf inherent (scrolls won't work since we're assuming you're dirt kicked already but they will work before combat and there's faerie fire scrolls available everywhere for cheap)
Dirt kick them after they land it on you and hope it lands
Flee until the dirt kick wears off
Bearcharge them while you're bigger than them so you can permalag them until the dirt kick wears off.
Entangle until the target cannot flee (until the next tick, you cannot bring them to negative movement this way, and it will take quite a few castings due to pathfinding)
Ranger specific abilities which help counter this, such as animist zephyr

Obviously there are more options available to you if you are a druid, wood-elf rather than a ranger.

bliksglinMon 09-Aug-10 12:44 PM
Member since 09th Aug 2010
1 posts
#94195, "Oops, another I caused to delete"
In response to Reply #0

Seriously though... Is this Pro's hunter he's been asking questions about? Knowledgeable player, affable character, kinda bossy and prefers to lead, prone to sudden mood swings. I got myself killed and you killed, but you didn't lose a thing, and this character seemed potentially powerful for exploring.

ProMon 09-Aug-10 12:59 PM
776 posts
#94196, "Yeah. I don't remember asking about any hunters. :)"
In response to Reply #1
Edited on Mon 09-Aug-10 01:00 PM

And you never got me killed.

You ambushed the wrong Owlbear in the cave though. We needed to get rid of the ones tracking you first.

I don't explore.

The end goal was Baer tat with Pounce. (Not really a goal but my Min/Max mentality liked the notion.)

An odd thing was happening with him. I was getting complete command denial in that last fight, not counting cutoff. It felt like my whole computer siezed up. It's not the first time that's happened to me either.

Top General Discussions The Battlefield Topic #94185 Previous topic | Next topic