Subject: "(RAGE DELETE) [TRIBUNAL] Gianath Thalimakisus the Grand..." Previous topic | Next topic
Printer-friendly copy Email this topic to a friend CF Website
Top General Discussions The Battlefield Topic #92856
Show all folders

Death_AngelThu 03-Jun-10 03:24 PM
Member since 11th May 2024
16840 posts
Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author Click to view this author's profile Click to add this author to your buddy list
#92856, "(RAGE DELETE) [TRIBUNAL] Gianath Thalimakisus the Grand Mistress of Changelings, Provost Magistrate"

Thu Jun 3 15:23:12 2010

At 10 o'clock AM, Day of Deception, 30th of the Month of the Ancient Darkness
on the Theran calendar Gianath perished, never to return.

Race:gnome
Class:shapeshifter
Level:51
Alignment:Neutral
Ethos:Orderly
Cabal:TRIBUNAL, the Blood Tribunal
Hours:221

Alert | IP Printer Friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Reply IT WASN'T A RAGE DELETE!!!, Iukulli, 04-Jun-10 06:27 PM, #24
Reply Well, seeing how it's you..., Pro, 04-Jun-10 06:44 PM, #28
     Reply You can be pissed without, Marin, 06-Jun-10 04:44 PM, #29
Reply So here we have what appears at prima facia to be..., Pro, 04-Jun-10 08:47 AM, #2
Reply What am I not seeing?, Macaca, 04-Jun-10 09:00 AM, #3
Reply RE: What am I not seeing?, ORB, 04-Jun-10 10:09 AM, #4
Reply Yep. nt, Marin, 04-Jun-10 10:36 AM, #5
Reply Except that..., Pro, 04-Jun-10 11:34 AM, #6
     Reply RE: Except that..., sorlag (Anonymous), 04-Jun-10 11:41 AM, #8
     Reply Really Sol? A magistrate would never go near the Villag..., Pro, 04-Jun-10 11:59 AM, #11
          Reply RE: Really Sol? A magistrate would never go near the Vi..., sorlag (Anonymous), 04-Jun-10 12:33 PM, #13
          Reply For me it's just one of those aggrivating things where ..., Pro, 04-Jun-10 01:34 PM, #17
               Reply You're making mountains out of molehills, JMCC, 04-Jun-10 04:44 PM, #22
                    Reply There is irony in the very last sentence of your post. ..., Pro, 04-Jun-10 05:36 PM, #23
          Reply I call bull on pro, laxman, 04-Jun-10 12:50 PM, #15
               Reply Uhm.. Honestly man., Pro, 04-Jun-10 01:33 PM, #16
               Reply RE: I call bull, Valguarnera, 04-Jun-10 06:14 PM, #26
                    Reply Alright. I conceed it's just me. May as well clear my t..., Pro, 04-Jun-10 06:40 PM, #27
     Reply Fool me once..., Macaca, 04-Jun-10 11:46 AM, #9
     Reply I guess the bigger question is why..., Pro, 04-Jun-10 11:58 AM, #10
          Reply Crying?, Macaca, 04-Jun-10 12:31 PM, #12
               Reply Who needs to prove intent?, Pro, 04-Jun-10 01:35 PM, #18
     Reply And that is an example of why it's important to target ..., trewyn, 04-Jun-10 03:01 PM, #19
Reply I would say, yes., Pro, 04-Jun-10 11:19 AM, #7
Reply RE: So here we have what appears at prima facia to be....., Daevryn, 04-Jun-10 12:41 PM, #14
     Reply In all that character's life, noone ever prayed about t..., Pro, 04-Jun-10 03:09 PM, #20
          Reply Not that I was online for, no. (n/t), Daevryn, 04-Jun-10 03:13 PM, #21
          Reply No., Valguarnera, 04-Jun-10 06:10 PM, #25
Reply WHAT?? nt, Marin, 03-Jun-10 04:20 PM, #1

IukulliFri 04-Jun-10 05:37 PM
Member since 21st Sep 2007
29 posts
Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author Click to add this author to your buddy list
#92889, "IT WASN'T A RAGE DELETE!!!"
In response to Reply #0
Edited on Fri 04-Jun-10 06:27 PM

This showed up as a rage delete, but I was planning on deleting that day anyway, I had just decided to take a chance at going down in a blaze of glory with one last retrieval. I really just didn't have the time I hoped for this summer, and I have been trying to get ready to move out of the country next Friday, so mudding has really taken a back seat lately. Sorry I didn't do more with the Provost job.

Contrary to Pro's seemingly obsessive belief that I was somehow power-gaming, I certainly did not have that in mind when I rolled this character. I mean really... a defensive major shifter? How the hell is somebody attacking giant instead of me going to make a difference compared to attacking my defensive form? I think in all of my hours, I only saw *one* person attack a giant instead of me, and that was a few minutes before I deleted when somebody summoned a storm giant lieutenant to cover the outlander outer for some reason.

Anyway, I had an interesting ride with this character. I rolled up hoping to become Justiciar, and Tribunal was really strong at times during my life. I didn't find a single sleek wand, but managed to get my barrier within minutes after learning the barrier attunement edge (which was all I needed), and once I rolled the bones and got a Komodo Dragon form, I was pretty happy.

The good:
Komodo dragon kicks ass... I think I only killed one person with it, but man was it hard to kill.

The Bad:
The silverback gorilla had some perks, but it was mostly useless in a PK. If I killed somebody with it, it's because they screwed up majorly. Ok, useless is a slight exaggeration, but the form felt more like a utility-grade form and just didn't have the damage output or the reliable lagging potential I needed to finish off the kinds of ragers and outlanders I was constantly fighting.

It was fun running around with some old familiar faces I have spent time with in the past, even though I didn't know for sure who they were until the end. I have been on somewhat of a Tribunal kick these last few years, and this even though this character fizzled out, I think it was a success on what I wanted to do all along and I have cured my itch to be all I could be for the Spire.

My former Magistrate lives were:

1) Iukulli: Provincial Magistrate, Justiciar, Short-lived vindicator, briefly a criminal, then reinstated as a provincial magistrate again before my similarly short-lived stint as an immortal
2) Paskat: My first Tribunal and provost from 2006, and my first and only age death. Also guildmaster of Hamsah
3) Zel: Tribunal conjurer from 2007, where I learned all conjurers are one step away from being criminals. Deleted after being demoted for servitors attacking people in town.
4) Peth: Svirf caverndweller explorer magistrate from 2008. I thought it was a great char, but really struggled with continually trying to get back fast camo.
5) Varissa: Human AP Trib from about 2009, short-lived
6) Zaruthral: Arial AP Trib right after Varissa, deleted after losing a few too many decent weapons. Created to try to do everything right that I did wrong with Varissa.
7) Aerlach: Binder thief felar Trib from about 2008, also guildmaster of Dagdan guild. Thieves are darn near useless when they have to keep trying to retrieve at the refuge, but he was fun everywhere else.
8) Diandril: Transmuter magistrate that got cut short in the last purge... a shame, too.

Anyway, I think after this list I should be officially dis-allowed from rolling up anymore magistrates even if I do have time in the future.

Regardless, it's been fun, even if I couldn't ever manage to kill any criminals. Good luck to everybody, and hopefully the Spire rebounds soon.

ProFri 04-Jun-10 06:44 PM
Member since 14th Apr 2010
776 posts
Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author Click to view this author's profile Click to add this author to your buddy list
#92893, "Well, seeing how it's you..."
In response to Reply #24

I'm definitly in the wrong. Sorry man, I just get pissed over little percieved injustices and cut that's things away.

I assumed you an Offense air major.

Well, I've liked your characters in the past, especially Iukulli, so I probably would have liked this one.

MarinSun 06-Jun-10 04:44 PM
Member since 17th Apr 2010
86 posts
Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author Click to add this author to your buddy list
#92915, "You can be pissed without"
In response to Reply #28

all the righteousness. Try being a bit more calm in your angst.

ProFri 04-Jun-10 08:29 AM
776 posts
#92863, "So here we have what appears at prima facia to be..."
In response to Reply #0
Edited on Fri 04-Jun-10 08:47 AM

The most power gamey of power gamingness getting Imm love.

Why was this character allowed to keep the name and why would you even consider rewarding them?

For me, as soon as I saw the name I was thinking, "Lame". Then when they became a magistrate I was thinking, "Even Lamer. I'm cutting off their Pro priviledges".

I wouldn't even talk to them after that. It would mater to me if they had a +5 bottle of hand lotion, you couldn't stroke me enough to take them seriously.

MacacaFri 04-Jun-10 09:00 AM
Member since 03rd Apr 2010
27 posts
#92864, "What am I not seeing?"
In response to Reply #2

I think you're pointing out that "gianath" has the same first four
letters as "giant," which might cause you to mistakenly hit a nearby
giant if you tried to kill this Tribunal.

Did Gianath regularly sit, out of form, near a giant or walk around,
out of form, with a giant merc?

ORBFri 04-Jun-10 10:08 AM
Member since 04th Mar 2003
993 posts
#92865, "RE: What am I not seeing?"
In response to Reply #3
Edited on Fri 04-Jun-10 10:09 AM

Not sure if it's still the case but I believe at one time special guards were giants. I think he's referring to that. The only thing with that is he's a shifter so he's not going to be fighting out of form, gives it less credibility IMHO.

That which does not kill us,
makes us stronger.

MarinFri 04-Jun-10 10:36 AM
86 posts
#92866, "Yep. nt"
In response to Reply #4

nt

ProFri 04-Jun-10 11:18 AM
776 posts
#92867, "Except that..."
In response to Reply #4
Edited on Fri 04-Jun-10 11:34 AM

The Villagers have a GIANT inner guard. There are Giant mobs and he's not always out of form, especially when flagging someone as the law requires you to tell someone why they are flagged.

It's power gamey. There's no excuse.

sorlag (inactive user)Fri 04-Jun-10 11:41 AM
Charter member
In response to Reply #6

He has no real reason to be anywhere near the Battle giant, so that's probably not a common scenario.

It's definitely abusable, but nobody knows if he did it on purpose.

Someone gave me some grief once for having a character whose name began with "Skel". Until they pointed it out, I hadn't even considered the fact that I guess I could run to the Crypts and hope my aggressor bashed a skeleton. Some people just don't think that way.

The way I see it:
1) You can't prove his INTENT was to abuse the mechanics of prefix targeting, and;

2) You can still use an alias and/or type it out. The prefix thing is nice, but as a player you simply have to realize that it's inexact and if there are multiple entities in the room, you have to think about what you're doing.

I'll admit at four letters it's suspicious, but at the end of the day you and every other player have it within their ability to utterly negate this kind of abuse, so who cares? Besides, there are SO many prefixes that are affected by this, it's hard to avoid unless you make a point to avoid it when you think up names, which just isn't something everyone does, they just want a cool-sounding name.

ProFri 04-Jun-10 11:59 AM
776 posts
#92872, "Really Sol? A magistrate would never go near the Villag..."
In response to Reply #8

Come on man.

His intent isn't relavent really, though I am certain this is why they did it. It's no different that Guar the thief or Dwar the assassin.

Speeding is speeding whether you meant to or not.

sorlag (inactive user)Fri 04-Jun-10 12:33 PM
Charter member
#92875, "RE: Really Sol? A magistrate would never go near the Vi..."
In response to Reply #11

Speeding is also a crime (well, traffic violation).

This guy managed to go 221 hours without getting a ticket, which leads me to believe the Immortals either did not have a problem with his name and/or felt that even though it may be questionable, he wasn't putting himself in situations where it gave him an advantage.

Either way, it's probably not worth making a big deal about. There's no real reason to believe he was up to no good, and clearly he was not asked to change it in 221 hours, so given that it's ultimately something that is easy circumvented in the first place, I'm inclined to shrug it off.

ProFri 04-Jun-10 01:34 PM
776 posts
#92879, "For me it's just one of those aggrivating things where ..."
In response to Reply #13

impropriety is there and you see said person rewarded.

JMCCFri 04-Jun-10 04:44 PM
Member since 22nd Sep 2007
59 posts
#92886, "You're making mountains out of molehills"
In response to Reply #17

Lots of people who are douchebags get rewarded. Are you saying that just because this person has GIAN in his name, regardless of RP, pk, cabal duties, etc., he shouldn't get rewarded? That's a different argument altogether then changing his name by the imms in the first place.

Not to mention that I, and probably a lot of the playerbase/imms, didn't even consider this quirk in the name.

I mean, it's like saying:
1) Anyone with MAR as the beginning of the name should have his name changed.
2) Anyone with CAP as the beginning of the name should have his name changed.
3) Anyone with CEN as the beginning of the name...
4) Anyone with GIA as the beginning of the name...
5) Anyone with VAN as the beginning of the name...
6) Anyone with GUA as the beginning of the name...

Unless it's really prevalent or obvious, there shouldn't be a problem - and what was obvious to you wasn't obvious to many other people.

Heck, I didn't even know <kill gian> would translate to <kill special guard>.

Furthermore, it's your own fault (not you specifically, but collectively, the players) if you're too lazy to type out the full nane.

ProFri 04-Jun-10 05:36 PM
776 posts
#92888, "There is irony in the very last sentence of your post. ..."
In response to Reply #22

zxdfzsdfv

laxmanFri 04-Jun-10 12:50 PM
Member since 18th Aug 2003
1867 posts
Click to send private message to this author Click to add this author to your buddy list Click to send message via AOL IM
#92877, "I call bull on pro"
In response to Reply #11

A.) Because he is in form most of the time (different name keyword)
B.) because if you do bash gian you won't hit giant mobs because it defaults to the last person to enter the room making it very hard to exploit using anything that would be worthwhile to exploit with after like rank 20. If he had the summon ability that might be different.
C.) at this point like 90% of remaining players use aliases so this isn't a big deal.

I think you are just trying to troll. Please stop.

ProFri 04-Jun-10 01:33 PM
776 posts
#92878, "Uhm.. Honestly man."
In response to Reply #15

Giantathis is here.
Giant is here.

bash giant

Giantathis leaves east.

Your bash misses a giant.

ValguarneraFri 04-Jun-10 06:14 PM
6904 posts
#92891, "RE: I call bull"
In response to Reply #15
Edited on Fri 04-Jun-10 06:14 PM

I think <Pro is> just trying to troll. Please stop.

Regardless of his intent, this is now a farewell thread with about a dozen Pro posts about a name complaint that not one player made during Gianath's 221 hours of gameplay. If it keeps up, I won't miss him.

valguarnera@carrionfields.com

ProFri 04-Jun-10 06:40 PM
776 posts
#92892, "Alright. I conceed it's just me. May as well clear my t..."
In response to Reply #26

asvawsdv

MacacaFri 04-Jun-10 11:46 AM
27 posts
#92870, "Fool me once..."
In response to Reply #6

Shame on you.
Fool me twice,
shame on me.

As for the Village, care to guess how many Villagers attack the
MASSive Giant when MASSok is raiding?

It's one case of "D'oh!" and then you have to type in an extra letter.

But I do agree that "Enforceronia the Armswoman" is pushing it.

ProFri 04-Jun-10 11:58 AM
776 posts
#92871, "I guess the bigger question is why..."
In response to Reply #9

The propensity for excusing douchey behavior on one hand then crying about it on another?

It seems rather intentional he used his name to get what ever slight edge he could. It's been done in the past so it's not un precedented.

Signed, Asgsegwergwwa the Student of Magic.

MacacaFri 04-Jun-10 12:31 PM
27 posts
#92874, "Crying?"
In response to Reply #10

I'm not crying about anything.
I excuse both The Provost and The Meter because:

1. It's damn near impossible to prove intent.

2. Resolving the issue is a matter of typing a single additional
letter. When you consider the thousands of letters you input during
a typical MUDding session, an additional 'a' or 'o' really, really
isn't that much to ask.

3. Even if it's intentional, on the douchey-behavior scale this is
only a 2. And because The Provost was a shapeshifter, I'm going to
downgrade that to a 1.

ProFri 04-Jun-10 01:35 PM
776 posts
#92880, "Who needs to prove intent?"
In response to Reply #12

It's there. It should have been corrected early on and definitly not given reward.

trewynFri 04-Jun-10 02:56 PM
Member since 04th Jan 2005
269 posts
#92882, "And that is an example of why it's important to target ..."
In response to Reply #6
Edited on Fri 04-Jun-10 03:01 PM

All outer guardians have the flag "outer" and can be targeted by such. So quit your whining.

Also, back in the day you had to type in the WHOLE name. Gian wouldn't hit crap. Powergamey names were like Xingrixloxtot or Ililillirinini and you had to type that whole thing in every time to even use a tell with them. Gianath isn't powergamey and it has a smooth flow to it.

ProFri 04-Jun-10 11:19 AM
776 posts
#92868, "I would say, yes."
In response to Reply #3

He was out of form quite often around mobs with GIAN in their description.

DaevrynFri 04-Jun-10 12:41 PM
Member since 13th Feb 2007
11117 posts
#92876, "RE: So here we have what appears at prima facia to be....."
In response to Reply #2

Eh. Honestly this never occured to me.

Sometimes the name you think is cool or come up with for your character shares a common substring with something else.

ProFri 04-Jun-10 03:09 PM
776 posts
#92883, "In all that character's life, noone ever prayed about t..."
In response to Reply #14

sdbdb

DaevrynFri 04-Jun-10 03:13 PM
Member since 13th Feb 2007
11117 posts
#92884, "Not that I was online for, no. (n/t)"
In response to Reply #20

ValguarneraFri 04-Jun-10 06:10 PM
6904 posts
#92890, "No."
In response to Reply #20

Nor would I have done anything if they did.

The Battlefield isn't a place for you to hijack farewell threads and come bitch about names. Knock it off, starting now.

valguarnera@carrionfields.com

MarinThu 03-Jun-10 04:20 PM
86 posts
#92859, "WHAT?? nt"
In response to Reply #0

nt

Top General Discussions The Battlefield Topic #92856 Previous topic | Next topic