Subject: "(DEL) Ghraloch the Hand of the Unseen" Previous topic | Next topic
Printer-friendly copy Email this topic to a friend CF Website
Top General Discussions The Battlefield Topic #8689
Show all folders

Death_AngelSun 25-Aug-02 07:15 AM
Member since 03rd May 2024
16828 posts
Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author Click to view this author's profile Click to add this author to your buddy list
#8689, "(DEL) Ghraloch the Hand of the Unseen"

Sun Aug 25 09:14:11 2002

6 o''clock PM, Day of Deception, 9th of the Month of the Ancient Darkness on the Theran calendar Ghraloch perished, never to return.

Race:duergar
Class:thief
Level:51
Alignment:Evil
Ethos:Chaotic
Cabal:BATTLE, the BattleRagers, Haters of Magic
Hours:124
PK Ratio:59% (closer to 100% is better)

Alert | IP Printer Friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Reply well, where do I start., Abernyte, 25-Aug-02 07:58 AM, #1
     Reply RE: well, where do I start., Intronan, 25-Aug-02 08:24 AM, #2
     Reply RE: well, where do I start., Abernyte, 25-Aug-02 08:50 AM, #3
          Reply RE: well, where do I start., Intronan, 25-Aug-02 09:07 AM, #4
          Reply Kicking people while they're down, Cathoir (Guest), 27-Aug-02 11:25 AM, #14
          Reply Sorry to rain on your parade, chief, but..., Velguz (Guest), 25-Aug-02 11:49 AM, #7
               Reply Whoops, guess it was a flame. I apolgaize., Valarath n/t (Guest), 25-Aug-02 03:48 PM, #9
               Reply I know the fight you refer to, Abernyte, 26-Aug-02 12:26 AM, #13
     Reply RE: well, where do I start., Uncle Vinny, 25-Aug-02 09:20 AM, #5
     Reply was because of Karkanen, Abernyte, 25-Aug-02 09:33 AM, #6
          Reply RE: was because of Karkanen, Uncle Vinny, 25-Aug-02 06:43 PM, #10
     Reply : (, Valarath (Guest), 25-Aug-02 01:34 PM, #8
     Reply You know what bothers me about you?, Martinian (Guest), 25-Aug-02 09:02 PM, #11
          Reply heh, Abernyte, 26-Aug-02 12:18 AM, #12

AbernyteSun 25-Aug-02 07:58 AM
Member since 04th Mar 2003
973 posts
Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author Click to view this author's profile Click to add this author to your buddy list
#8690, "well, where do I start."
In response to Reply #0

Ghraloch was trying to be an individual in a cabal that seems to be churning out more and more clones. This was met with Intronan who, for all intents and purposes, was an absolute wank to this character.
He was an evil chaotic duergar, so he was always going to sail close to the wind and walk very close to the line as he was getting very sick of paladins and druids doing 'who duergar' cool there ghraloch we can exploit a vuln and get a hard-on at the damage we do. This annoyed me as a player and the character. My playing times were often cut short and so if I was tooled by a druid or a paladin then I was not always able to tool up and get revenge in the 'permisable' timescale that intronan feels is right so when I log on next day and see the said paladin or druid I should not go and smack him, I am supposed to say 'Oh well, I can just recloth, kill mages, hope they dont bring the said paladin or druid to tool me and hope that I can keep my eq long enough to be of use to the village in this fight against magic'. Bollocks to that! As for Intronan saying he sympathised, well I am sorry but being an evil arial assassin does not bring half as many assholes wanting a piece of you as being a duergar (full stop). Ghraloch for all his evilness and nuttyness, never full looted but instead took a few pieces and destroyed the magicical stuff. Nine times out of ten lowbies would loot and then the person killed would whine. Warlocks were the worst for this but I got sick fed up of them full looting and sac'ing stuff. This is made worse by the fact that a binder thief has only 2nd attack and re-equipping is a bitch.
Ghraloch due to a childhood accident was allergic to the magic and thought he knew he was not to attack non-enemies and non-mages he felt it was fine to steal and destroy the magical stuff that people carried. A non-aggro method of magical destruction if you will but again this was met with Intronan saying that it makes enemies of those I do it to but if you ask me; a player who is not a villager is not an ally and therefore more than likely a future enemy as they use the stuff we would destroy and they almost always aid some mage in retrievel or whatever later so I did not see it as a problem. This whole have a go at ghraloch for trying to bring his own slant into being a villager made me dislike the village and the character I was playing because I felt like my wings were clipped. After I deleted I hear that intronan made out I was some sort of gangbanger which is fucking nonsense, excuse my language, but it is. I dont play gangbangers and if I had attacked someone, that someone else already attacked it was probably due to my average hop speed being between 600ms to 800ms which often means your playing catchup. I had hoped to go quite far with Ghraloch and enjoyed the new rage-delete code because it meant after cheap deaths I could calm down and then return.
Defenders are fun and this was my first but the character was getting sick of being treated like a bitch and towards the end was only dressing those he fought along side with in raids and what not and the rest could go and whistle. 500 mana and 16int and meditation to regain it hurts when a dressings costs 40 mana a pop and I needed to heal myself. the reason I made a defender was to try them out and because Karkanen healed sooo slowly. Karkanen was useless for lagging without cheap shot so ghraloch made sure he had it but in hindsight I should have gone scout again because, without spiked toed boots and kick, I had very little to do in a fight except double block which got monotinous. I will stick to scouts.
Quite a few newbies in the village and I enjoyed ranking with them and talking about tactics and what not. Other villagers, well there were none I really disliked but Hirilim pissed me off right at the end after being a good buddy throughout, which was a contributor to the deleting. Sabkabaz, hope you enjoy the things you got back, including my things I dropped, which were few but that was due to the warlocks
Mages, none really stand out as fun people to fight and duel with, least not as many as grubbin had fond memories of.
One last thing and its about the binder path of thieves. They stand to be soo cool to have and use but my greatest annoyance came from the amount of interfering nosey wee shites who would come and unbind the people you were binding, with not great ill effects. When your strength comes from that binding, it makes for neutralised set of skills.

-----Abernyte

IntronanSun 25-Aug-02 08:24 AM
25 posts
#8697, "RE: well, where do I start."
In response to Reply #1

I'm truly sorry your reaction to my actions was so strong. What I did was head off actions that didn't deem appropriate to me. I didn't slam you, I merely gave you a fairly mild warning. I'm also sorry you misinterpreted what I said after you deleted. Basically, you've always played excellent villagers, from what I know. Ghraloch took a few actions I didn't like. I warned him... kind of mildly, actually. I'm sorry your ego and pride was ruffled.

Often people will use the 'i was trying something different, but the village Gods just wouldn't allow it' excuse when they're warned, or punished. Bunk. I'm fine with different types of villagers, different mindsets. But that doesn't change the hardcore rules which govern the village. You can bend a lot of rules... but if they're broken I'll step in. Gangbangs will happen... and I know they're not always the fault of those who are involved... so I offer little warnings. I'd been considering giving Ghraloch a warning for some time... but didn't, because in general I like the way he was played. I used what I believed an example of bad judgement, to teach a lesson. You're probably saying to yourself, 'who is he to give me a lesson, i've had 10 times more successful villagers than him'. And you'd be right. But I don't know who plays who, all I do is step in when I see something I think is wrong. Am I always right? Of course not. But I think in the case of Ghraloch, I was more right than wrong.

Bottom line, I'm sorry I left a bad taste in your mouth with your most recent villager. I really try not to micro-manage, and try to only step in when I should. I think I've found the right balance, but I'm still learning. I'm not here to ruin anyone's fun.

Thanks, and good luck with your next.

AbernyteSun 25-Aug-02 08:50 AM
973 posts
#8698, "RE: well, where do I start."
In response to Reply #2

Well let me state that there was no issue of Ego or Pride here just frsutration and annoyance. I felt that I was not out of line doing the whole stealing/sacing magic thing but rather than let me argue the point when you spoke to me at the shrine, when I said I disagree, you replied 'Dont. I am right.' and it was this that made me feel like my wings were clipped, the refusal to see or even hear my say about an issue involving my character. the bad taste came from the inferrence to me being a ganger, which occured after I deleted when you stood beside Hirilim and Sumarlidi. That kind of things is gonna irk me plenty. I have no real problem with you and did not want the post to come across as me having such but I did feel like you had made up your mind about the character before any interaction occured and thuse I thought you were a bit nasty to him which removed the fun.

-----Abernyte

P.S. regardless of how many ragers I have had I would never not take on board anything another villager had to say.

IntronanSun 25-Aug-02 09:07 AM
25 posts
#8702, "RE: well, where do I start."
In response to Reply #3

Well, you have a point about what I said at the shrine after you deleted. Basically, I kicked you while you were down, to teach a lesson. Not a nice thing to do... but Intronan isn't nice. At all. That being said, the player of Intronan is nice, and feels kinda bad that you had to put up with this stuff (justified or not). I didn't mean to clip your wings, by any means... I just wanted to get a strong statement across. Maybe I should have given you a little more interaction, before giving a warning... but I will say... interaction or not, I watch villagers a good bit, and base my conclusions on that, and interaction. In your case, maybe I made up my mind too quickly. I don't take any of what you said the wrong way... I'm pretty thick skinned, and can realize the difference between constructive criticism and a flame. Anyway, again, good luck with next. Whether I think Ghraloch was right or wrong, that's besides the point... he was interesting, like all your characters. I'm always thankful to have someone interesting to watch.

Cathoir (Guest)Tue 27-Aug-02 11:25 AM

#8703, "Kicking people while they're down"
In response to Reply #4

If you as a person feel bad then why don't you alter your role such that you don't need to do it? Roleplay is awesome and all, but being in the position of an immortal that clearly has this sort of effect on people maybe we should try to shift priorities to having fun first. Governing the cabal is necessary and all, but choosing a moment when the player is clearly pissed off to transfer and berate him is just not called for.

Velguz (Guest)Sun 25-Aug-02 11:49 AM

#8699, "Sorry to rain on your parade, chief, but..."
In response to Reply #3

You ganged with the best of them. Don't go acting all self-righteous after ganging and full looting a non-caballed warrior who never attacked you before.

You're going to claim that you didn't gangbang intentionally, and etc., then I'm going to reply that blackjacking, fully binding, allowing another rager to attack and then assisting for two rounds is, in fact ganging, even if you did flee the round before I died. If this was your attempt at playing a great rager, then maybe ragers ain't your thang, dig?

Valarath n/t (Guest)Sun 25-Aug-02 03:48 PM

#8701, "Whoops, guess it was a flame. I apolgaize."
In response to Reply #7

n/t

AbernyteMon 26-Aug-02 12:26 AM
973 posts
#8700, "I know the fight you refer to"
In response to Reply #7

and I can assure you that I jacked and bound you as the other rager arrived he said he wanted to fight you for a vendetta or something and was in my group. Between the lag of me doing my final skill on you, he attacked and I was assisting untill the lag was gone from the skill and I fled. I think my second attack must have really messed you up huh!?
as a side note Ghraloch was never intended to be a great rager, instead, he was intended to be a support rager which is something I had not done before. The person who would excel in raid/defense and group on group battles but not for solo PK. You have your opinion and are intitled to it and you can only base it on events you have experienced so I dont mind what you think. Me Binding people up was often just a way for the person who wanted to fight you to get you. Ghraloch called it wrapping up the present and yes this was borderline but as I said in the notes above, Ghraloch the nasty wee duergar was all about pushing those boundries in his own inimitable duergar style.

-----Abernyte

Uncle VinnySun 25-Aug-02 09:20 AM
0 posts
#8694, "RE: well, where do I start."
In response to Reply #1

Well seriously thinking
I was wondering if you were scout or defender
specialy since I never saw you about....
just twice I think before I delete.....

so it would not be right to judge you but its just odd.
why duergar ?

I still remember you missing blackjacks and circle stabs....

Perfecting can be suck a bitch so is the mana gain....

Just curious.
Rock on.

Go go go !

AbernyteSun 25-Aug-02 09:33 AM
973 posts
#8695, "was because of Karkanen"
In response to Reply #5

He was an arial and learned like a dream and had perfected a good few of the bindings. He went to full in hamsah guild and then got push and knife, one short of cheapshot. He did the whole jacking thing and binding quick but could not drag for toffee so i went duergar next time round to get cheapshot and to have 23 str to see if it improved dragging but he never perfected it though he spent 6 times as long trying to, kark perfected it in about an hour. Pwent was also a reason, fancied a change of eq after arial only stuff but thanks to dwarf paladins I had one piece at a time if I was lucky. As for the missed blackjacks, well that was luck for you as was the circle. At the time of that fight mace 100% blackjack 100% and circle 95%. Sometimes ##### happens Especially since knife was at 83% and I got you regularly with it then.

-----Abernyte

P.S. Should have gone scout.

Uncle VinnySun 25-Aug-02 06:43 PM
0 posts
#8696, "RE: was because of Karkanen"
In response to Reply #6

Well I knew it .... I just knew it ....

When I fled I was wondering if to try to rush into the mod or not
I had a feeling you are spamming knife Kravegatha ....
But that last time you guys got me you did out with my potions and I really saw no other way to live or die....
DAmn knife 80+ and i still got hit all the three times for MANGLES

*shakes his fist at the heavens and curses*

anyways... its never to late to play (another)scout (I just can't live upto being a berserker, myself)

Go go go !

Valarath (Guest)Sun 25-Aug-02 01:34 PM

#8693, ": ("
In response to Reply #1

Sorry
Ghraloch was a real good Rager, as all yars characters.

I have had a sneaking suspicion that with one of your characters, you were eathire going to get bored with them, or get into a fight with an Imm and not make anymore. That would be really really bad for us.

Every Rager you make rocks, and I hope you keep coming back.
...please?

Martinian (Guest)Sun 25-Aug-02 09:02 PM

#8691, "You know what bothers me about you?"
In response to Reply #1

After I deleted I hear that
>intronan made out I was some sort of gangbanger which is
>fucking nonsense, excuse my language, but it is. I dont play
>gangbangers and if I had attacked someone, that someone else
>already attacked it was probably due to my average hop speed
>being between 600ms to 800ms which often means your playing
>catchup.

Someone posts a log to the logboard and you just jump on the bandwagon saying someone is a gangbanger, someone makes it hard for you to hold up the rager standard, all that #####, and then you come here and say that Ohhhh! Not me though! I never do it, and if I did, it was my bad link.

Seems like you can have situations where it might appear to be a gangbang, but in fact it's not, but nobody else can.

Maybe next time you won't be so quick to start slamming others.

Just as an easy example: there was a log of me attacking Killag in Tar Valon, when it appeared he was at the same time fighting Urequn. Well, I was in Mortorn and came up right into Tar valon, three steps away. I did a where and saw that the only person in the city in my pk range was Killag. See, Urequn was too young still. So I, like most people, figure that the other person in my pk range can't harm him either. When I did my where, Killag was on Common road and Urequen was on common square. No fighting, no nothing. So I open the door, hit three directions and then start to cranial Killag. Just so happens he could fight urequen, and as I arrived and attacked, he had just attacked urequn.

So you see, you're not the only person who might appear to be doing something they in fact are not. But you don't hesitate to start flaming someone else, even when you don't know ##### about the situation.

AbernyteMon 26-Aug-02 12:18 AM
973 posts
#8692, "heh"
In response to Reply #11

My link meant that sometimes I started on someone from the perspective of eee;dirt blahblah and when I get there I see he already fights someone else. I then make ways and means of fleeing which you certainly did not, in the flame that we refer to. Think what you will though, its all fine.

-----Abernyte

Top General Discussions The Battlefield Topic #8689 Previous topic | Next topic