Subject: "Azumoti has turned to ashes" Previous topic | Next topic
Printer-friendly copy Email this topic to a friend CF Website
Top General Discussions The Battlefield Topic #81843
Show all folders

ValkenarTue 23-Jun-09 02:13 PM
Member since 04th Mar 2003
1203 posts
Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author Click to view this author's profile Click to add this author to your buddy list
#81843, "Azumoti has turned to ashes"
Edited on Tue 23-Jun-09 02:23 PM

This character was a rerun intended to be a refresher before making another go at playing a village berserker. For the most part it was fun, but I came to realize that most people were just annoyed by my rp (though I thought I had stepped it up and done a better job compared to last time) and while some people don't care if they piss off the other players I do, so that's a big part it. Also I broke role and whined a few time and to me that's just unacceptable behavior. I'd rather not play at all than be that kind of a-hole.

Like last time, I had trouble finding ranking groups. Unlike last time, I had a decent number of eligible people in range, but I must have just driven them off by being annoying somehow. Even people in the refuge just weren't interested (and didn't even reply half the time), and when that happens you know you're doing something wrong.

Add on a number of small annoyances, like not being able to reach the nightreaver a second time, mob-dieing stupidly in a fit of frustration and losing my corpse in a crash immediately after (that's not supposed to happen, but oh well) I decided to call it quits.

Also in order to play an invoker I'd have to bot because that whole skill practicing thing is the most painfully irritating f-ing mechanic in the world and is the only aspect of cf that I think is really awful (and that includes wands). Why play an invoker (especially as a relaxing character) when I know I hate practicing stuff? Who knows, poor decision-making I guess. And that was basically being 4/5-path (9-10-8-8 in the schools I used). But yeah any game design that says go sit and spam a spell 2485923485 times is completely and utterly retarded.

Ah well. Sorry to anyone I annoyed (especially kyaltaru) or whose time I wasted. Iunna, I promise I'll make a better follower someday (and not just one of the crazy ones you mentioned always getting).

I have no idea what to play next, though. The village is full (and of the build I want to play too), so I can't do that experiment. Any suggestions about what I should play are welcome.

On the plus side I managed to get to legendary awareness quite fast, and found a sleek wand location! Woo, my first!

Alert | IP Printer Friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Reply Bummer!, Lysteriath (Guest), 23-Jun-09 08:37 PM, #11
Reply Damnit., Iunna, 23-Jun-09 04:57 PM, #6
Reply RE: Damnit., Valkenar, 23-Jun-09 07:08 PM, #7
     Reply I didn't think that., Iunna, 23-Jun-09 07:11 PM, #8
          Reply RE: I didn't think that., Valkenar, 23-Jun-09 08:08 PM, #9
               Reply I can usually only recognize a handful of people., Iunna, 23-Jun-09 08:25 PM, #10
                    Reply Well that's good, Valkenar, 23-Jun-09 08:42 PM, #12
Reply Are you serious?, TMNS_lazy (Guest), 23-Jun-09 02:31 PM, #1
     Reply And I hit 38 in about 50 hrs? NT, TMNS_lazy (Guest), 23-Jun-09 02:31 PM, #2
     Reply Yeah, Valkenar, 23-Jun-09 03:09 PM, #3
          Reply Well, if you can't stand spamming for 10 mins..., TMNS_lazy (Guest), 23-Jun-09 03:19 PM, #4
               Reply Like I said, poor decision-making, Valkenar, 23-Jun-09 04:42 PM, #5

Lysteriath (Guest)Tue 23-Jun-09 08:37 PM

#81888, "Bummer!"
In response to Reply #0

Outlander always sings with an invoker in the mix. Was looking forward to an evil one to boot.

IunnaTue 23-Jun-09 04:57 PM
473 posts
Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author Click to view this author's profile Click to add this author to your buddy list
#81873, "Damnit."
In response to Reply #0

I spent a lot of time reading your role last night too so I could get a
good idea of what you were shooting for (I admit I hadn't done that
prior to our first meeting). Good luck with whatever you end up playing
next!

ValkenarTue 23-Jun-09 07:08 PM
1203 posts
#81879, "RE: Damnit."
In response to Reply #6

Sorry about that. You can make it not a waste of time by telling me what you thought. I felt like our first talk didn't go all that well. You seemed to think I was asking for an immediate mark and generally didn't know what to make of it.

IunnaTue 23-Jun-09 07:11 PM
473 posts
#81880, "I didn't think that."
In response to Reply #7

I was just trying to understand why your character would want to come
see me. :p

As for the role, it was pretty well thought out and categorized, though
my own personal preference is for story-form. I know a lot of people
do appreciate cliff notes versions and things like that though!

ValkenarTue 23-Jun-09 08:08 PM
1203 posts
#81884, "RE: I didn't think that."
In response to Reply #8

>I was just trying to understand why your character would want
>to come
>see me. :p

Yeah, mostly because I wanted to. Azumoti's reasons were a little thinner. Basically I was just trying to work the fire angle.

>As for the role, it was pretty well thought out and
>categorized, though
>my own personal preference is for story-form. I know a lot of
>people
>do appreciate cliff notes versions and things like that
>though!

I was going to h ave both. This time I didn't manage to get the story in, but normally I do a long story and then the stuff like I had. You didn't recognize it as me, did you?

IunnaTue 23-Jun-09 08:25 PM
473 posts
#81887, "I can usually only recognize a handful of people."
In response to Reply #9

You're not one of them. I honestly couldn't list a single character
of yours aside from Zandrumial. :p

ValkenarTue 23-Jun-09 08:42 PM
1203 posts
#81889, "Well that's good"
In response to Reply #10

I don't really expect people to recognize me, except maybe by prompts and role format.

Elrys and Edimus are my two most succesful besides zandrumial.

TMNS_lazy (Guest)Tue 23-Jun-09 02:31 PM

#81848, "Are you serious?"
In response to Reply #0

My arial 4 path (well, I was 5 path, just had 1 affinity in Earth ) seriously power ranked because I never needed to spam. I mean, yeah, I spammed a bit but really only when there was no one to rank with (and those are the times you need to spam, IMHO).

It was absurdly easy. I think I had all four of my main greater shields within 3 hrs of hitting 38.

TMNS_lazy (Guest)Tue 23-Jun-09 02:31 PM

#81849, "And I hit 38 in about 50 hrs? NT"
In response to Reply #1

NT

ValkenarTue 23-Jun-09 03:09 PM
1203 posts
#81854, "Yeah"
In response to Reply #1

>My arial 4 path (well, I was 5 path, just had 1 affinity in
>Earth ) seriously power ranked because I never needed to
>spam. I mean, yeah, I spammed a bit but really only when
>there was no one to rank with (and those are the times you
>need to spam, IMHO).
>
>It was absurdly easy. I think I had all four of my main
>greater shields within 3 hrs of hitting 38.

It's absurdly easy if you have a tolerance for that nonsense. Just doing charge weapon pissed me off no end, I also found grease greally annoying and was finding adhesive web annoying as well. All of those were affinity 8s. Basically any time I have to spam for more than 10 minutes I want to stab myself in the face. It seems ridiculous to me to participate in time-wasting non-fun mechanics in games. If I want to work hard doing something not fun I'll get a second job. It's just brute force gruntwork and it sucks even in small amounts.

The actual damage spells were no issue at all because you naturally use them. But grease? Adhesive web? You don't really use those while ranking. I feel like I'm being a selfish jerk and wasting everyone's time doing that, so I kept it basically to a minimum. Especially since nobody wanted to rank with me anyway, I was not interested in being less useful to a group.

If I could've power ranked I actually think it would've been fine. My plan was to get to 38 as fast as possible so that I could pk reasonably (not to get into that old fight again). But I spent about 45 hours just getting to 30, constantly looking for groups.

That said, one day I will probably do this role yet again when I think everyone has forgotten it.

TMNS_lazy (Guest)Tue 23-Jun-09 03:19 PM

#81855, "Well, if you can't stand spamming for 10 mins..."
In response to Reply #3

...I have no clue why you rolled an invoker

ValkenarTue 23-Jun-09 04:42 PM
1203 posts
#81872, "Like I said, poor decision-making"
In response to Reply #4

>...I have no clue why you rolled an invoker

Really I just sort of thought that with a high affinity in everything they'd go up so fast I wouldn't have any problems. Even as it was, I don't hate the mechanic enough that I couldn't play an invoker at all. If I hadn't felt like my rp was just irritating people and if I had managed to get groups, it would've been okay.

Top General Discussions The Battlefield Topic #81843 Previous topic | Next topic