Subject: "(CON LOSS) [FORTRESS] Raner the Champion of the Virtues" Previous topic | Next topic
Printer-friendly copy Email this topic to a friend CF Website
Top General Discussions The Battlefield Topic #80262
Show all folders

Death_AngelMon 25-May-09 08:04 AM
Member since 03rd Oct 2024
17207 posts
Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author Click to view this author's profile Click to add this author to your buddy list
#80262, "(CON LOSS) [FORTRESS] Raner the Champion of the Virtues"

Mon May 25 08:02:39 2009

At 8 o'clock AM, Day of the Great Gods, 19th of the Month of Futility
on the Theran calendar Raner perished, never to return.

Race:dwarf
Class:paladin
Level:51
Alignment:Good
Ethos:Orderly
Cabal:FORTRESS, the Fortress of Light
Hours:262

Alert | IP Printer Friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Reply Hahaha I fought you one on one and it was pathetic., Haggan (Guest), 25-May-09 11:46 AM, #8
Reply There goes the Rabbit!, Raner (Guest), 25-May-09 08:21 AM, #2
Reply Addendum, Raner (Guest), 25-May-09 08:23 AM, #4
Reply RE: Addendum, Isildur, 25-May-09 10:11 AM, #6
Reply Too bad you had to burn through all that Dwarven con so..., Nian (Guest), 25-May-09 10:09 AM, #5
Reply I really liked Raner., Arrna (Guest), 25-May-09 11:21 AM, #7
Reply RE: I really liked Raner., Raner (Guest), 26-May-09 12:24 AM, #14
     Reply Aah! That explains it. :D n/t, Arrna (Guest), 26-May-09 02:13 AM, #15
Reply RE: There goes the Rabbit!, Humbert (Guest), 25-May-09 11:48 AM, #9
Reply Man you were a tough battle!, Dierj (Guest), 25-May-09 02:27 PM, #10
Reply RE: Man you were a tough battle!, Isildur, 25-May-09 04:32 PM, #11
Reply RE: Man you were a tough battle!, Dierj (Guest), 26-May-09 03:29 PM, #16
     Reply RE: Man you were a tough battle!, Isildur, 26-May-09 04:21 PM, #18
          Reply That wasn't what I said, nor meant., Dierj (Guest), 26-May-09 05:55 PM, #19
Reply RE: Man you were a tough battle!, Raner (Guest), 26-May-09 12:14 AM, #13
     Reply I hear you on the woe is me part., Dierj (Guest), 26-May-09 03:30 PM, #17
Reply RE: There goes the Rabbit!, Castiel (Guest), 25-May-09 11:51 PM, #12
Reply RE: There goes the Rabbit!, Yean, 26-May-09 09:08 PM, #20
Reply killerinsanesick....I like it!, Raner (Guest), 26-May-09 10:26 PM, #22
Reply RE: There goes the Rabbit!, Ailinilia (Guest), 26-May-09 10:18 PM, #21
Reply Awww wtf!, Aeinrez (Guest), 25-May-09 08:10 AM, #1
     Reply Solo ranking = bye con!, Raner (Guest), 25-May-09 08:22 AM, #3

Haggan (Guest)Mon 25-May-09 11:46 AM

#80276, "Hahaha I fought you one on one and it was pathetic."
In response to Reply #0

<100%hp 100%m 100%mv 16383tnl hills raining>
You lower a ranger's spear and
charge Raner!
You step out from your cover.
Your charge MANGLES Raner!
Raner yells 'Help! Haggan is charging me!'
Raner has some small but disgusting cuts.

<100%hp 100%m 100%mv 16383tnl hills raining>
Raner has fled!
Raner leaves west.
A bramblepit tells you 'Someone has stumbled into your bramble pit.'

<100%hp 100%m 100%mv 16383tnl hills raining> w
In the Foothills

(WANTED) Raner is here.

<100%hp 100%m 99%mv 16383tnl hills raining> murder Raner
Raner yells 'Help! I am being
attacked by Haggan!'
Raner parries your thrust.

<100%hp 100%m 99%mv 16383tnl hills raining>
You parry Raner's divine power.
Your thrust MUTILATES Raner!

<100%hp 100%m 99%mv 16383tnl hills raining> serpentstrike

Raner has fled!
Raner leaves south.

<100%hp 100%m 99%mv 16383tnl hills raining> s
But you aren't fighting anyone!

<100%hp 100%m 99%mv 16383tnl hills raining> murder Raner
Along a Dried Streambed

(White Aura) (WANTED) Raner is here.

<100%hp 100%m 99%mv 16383tnl FIELD raining> Raner yells 'Help! I am being
attacked by Haggan!'

<100%hp 100%m 99%mv 16383tnl FIELD raining> serpentstrike

Raner has fled!
Raner leaves south.

<100%hp 100%m 100%mv 16383tnl FIELD raining> But you aren't fighting anyone!

<100%hp 100%m 100%mv 16383tnl FIELD raining> s
kA Dried Streambed

(White Aura) (WANTED) Raner is here.

<100%hp 100%m 99%mv 16383tnl FIELD raining> murder raner
Raner closes his eyes and hums for
an instant.

<100%hp 100%m 99%mv 16383tnl FIELD raining> Raner yells 'Help! I am being
attacked by Haggan!'
Sensing your attack, Raner deftly avoids it and returns a counter strike!
Raner's divine power *** DEVASTATES *** you!

<78%hp 100%m 99%mv 16383tnl FIELD raining>
You dodge Raner's divine power.
You parry Raner's divine power.
Your thrust mauls Raner.

<78%hp 100%m 99%mv 16383tnl FIELD raining> serpentstrike

Raner brings a holy sword named 'Defiance' up and across at you!
Raner's strike of faith *** DEMOLISHES *** you!
Completing his upper slash, Raner steps forward and brings a holy sword named
'Defiance' down in an opposite arc towards you!
Raner's strike of purity === OBLITERATES === you!
That really did HURT!
You sure are BLEEDING!
Completing his maneuver, Raner drives a holy sword named 'Defiance' into your
chest!
You gasp as Raner drives a holy sword named 'Defiance' into your body.
Raner's strike of deliverance *** DEVASTATES *** you!
You have been KILLED!!

***FOOLED YOU!***
Pathetic on my part that is! I was like ####... This makes it hard for me to be a billy badass. I've spoken with you in other guises. I liked you quite a bit.

glwyn

Raner (Guest)Mon 25-May-09 08:21 AM

#80265, "There goes the Rabbit!"
In response to Reply #0

Okay, so that was a hugemonguous ride!! Ever since I started playing this game I always wanted to have a character that solo ranked.

Thus came Raner, wanted to follow a religion I had never tried to follow before, thus came Yean and really wanted to fight a lot to actually get a couple PK's and get Maran thus came Fortress

As far as Solo ranking goes - I think I hit a record for most MOB deaths or at least most MOB deaths to the skeletons on Calendaryl.

I loved almost every moment with Raner and don't have a bad word to say about anyone at all. Sure we all see the fluctations with cabals, logins/logoffs. But really who gives a toss? I tried to give people a fight no matter what, because the end of the day this game gets hella boring when no one is coming to fight you. That really is what caused my con death haha.

Onto some goodbyes anyway!!

Yean!!! - wow, you are truly awesomespectacularwonderous. New word google it. You gave me everything and more someone could ever hope for. So many times you just happened to pop down and say hey when I really needed a pick me up from a mob death when so close to a lv. Your RP just meshed wonderfully with Raners and i'm only kicking myself for not earning your tattoo yet. But I was a bit lost but theres always next time!! But thank you for everything you did for me, and you will definately see me at the hut again one day.

Padwei - Only interacted with you twice. But both times you were awesome. I can definately tell you love the character, and i love the fact you tie in your mortal/immortal selves. Thank you for that last little bit there, was a great farewell to Raner.

Bae - Thank you a tonne for Maran, when you gave me it I was really down in the dumps and felt like I was terrible lol. So really gave me a lot more drive to the character.

---------------------------------------------------------------

FORTRESS

Lortas - Dude, Raner really didnt like you. I tried to RP the whole dwarf/Elf thing. So,we had tension. And I loved interacting with you for that reason alone.

Ailinilia - Sorry if I came off a bit harsh sometimes. It was never me the player being mean. I felt bad quite a few times. But Raner was quick to anger and thinks most elves are sissy's

Sarien - Loved rolling around with you before you IMM'd, and loved our banter. The love hate relationship really reminded me of Lord of the Rings with Legolas and Gimli.

Zaknifal - My Yean brother. You seem great at PK, and with me you had great RP so keep trucking along!!

Humbert - A tank. Thank you for the gearing at times and being a perfect Maran. Guess I beat you to con death

Well, I have to be up in five hours, so im going to sleep! But! please reply and i'll give you a shout out. Even if we didn't interact but would like to feel special i'm full of sincere feel good quotes about your character.

Raner

A.K.A - ilostmycoconut, Mersiliat, Kirslamix, Tredyn, Chakru and a whole lot of others a forget now.

Raner (Guest)Mon 25-May-09 08:23 AM

#80267, "Addendum"
In response to Reply #2

Also if you have any advice/critiques of my character good or bad. I'd love to hear them

IsildurMon 25-May-09 10:11 AM
Member since 04th Mar 2003
5969 posts
Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author Click to view this author's profile Click to add this author to your buddy list
#80271, "RE: Addendum"
In response to Reply #4

My only critique was that you were a little too gung ho on the retrievals. But hey, I'd rather be too gung ho than not gung ho enough.

One of my deaths was when Empire had the orb, and you announced that you were going in. I personally wouldn't have gone at the time, but I thought to myself..."Well, hell, if Raner's going, what sort of leader would I be if I wasn't there too?" With predictable results. Heh.

If we'd coordinated that at all, we probably could have pulled it off. But you were already on the vanquisher by the time I got there, and by then the clock had started to tick.

Nian (Guest)Mon 25-May-09 10:09 AM

#80270, "Too bad you had to burn through all that Dwarven con so..."
In response to Reply #2

I would have liked to have you around longer, but ah well. I didn't get to see you all that much, but it was fun when I did.

See you with the next!

Arrna (Guest)Mon 25-May-09 11:21 AM

#80273, "I really liked Raner."
In response to Reply #2

You RPd your dwarf really well. Was a blast to hang around with you. Though you brought something up on the cabalchatter once, when just the two of us were online. After we had killed Mizheng. (Which I won't go into since both Arrna and Mizheng is still alive)

But you said something that I really didn't get. Can't remember the words right now, but (I think I was a squire then.) you lectured me about something, and I just really didn't get it. Might have been about gear or something... As I tend to become gear obsesive with my chars even if I try a lot not to.

To bad we never got to solve your conquest? Or did you?

I hope you come back soon with something cool! (Chakru, was that the bird who didn't speak at first? Villager?)

Raner (Guest)Tue 26-May-09 12:24 AM

#80360, "RE: I really liked Raner."
In response to Reply #7

That thing I brought up then, was just Raner being a bit hurt because you asked him to cry to you. Generally Raner tried to fight as much as he could alone as he felt that strength came in self reliance.

That was me trying not to be an ass or anything really.

Chakru was a Scion Healer - Eshvalite.

Arrna (Guest)Tue 26-May-09 02:13 AM

#80371, "Aah! That explains it. :D n/t"
In response to Reply #14

n/t

Humbert (Guest)Mon 25-May-09 11:48 AM

#80277, "RE: There goes the Rabbit!"
In response to Reply #2

Hey I liked you except you died TOO MUCH!!! Otherwise you had really brutal virtues, just add in Defiance and a Dern set you'd be an absolute beast! Good luck on your next, it's often the con-death characters that teach you most.

Dierj (Guest)Mon 25-May-09 02:27 PM

#80284, "Man you were a tough battle!"
In response to Reply #2

We had some really great fights here and there and I appreciate that. I always try and leave nearly everything because I can, but defiance is one thing that I just won't let remain. I know that is a big bummer to you probably, but I hope you understand from an enemies perspective. A no-disarm weapon that dispels and other things is just not much fun for anyone, IMO. Anyway, that dwarf con and hps sure made fighting you tough. Good luck with your next.

IsildurMon 25-May-09 04:32 PM
5969 posts
#80289, "RE: Man you were a tough battle!"
In response to Reply #10

If you kill him and defiance is in his corpse, then you >> defiance. Ergo your reasoning for looting defiance (i.e. that it makes him unkillable) goes away. Besides, it's not like he was a combo that was likely to kill you.

Dierj (Guest)Tue 26-May-09 03:29 PM

#80423, "RE: Man you were a tough battle!"
In response to Reply #11

Yep - I was stronger than him in this case and so yes, I made the choice to kill defiance. My reasoning is sound (in my opinion) and you didn't even read what I wrote right. Here is what I wrote.

"A no-disarm weapon that dispels and other things is just not much fun for anyone, IMO"

I never said it made him unkillable, just harder to kill and also a very annoying weapon. If I was an AP with a charged weapon and you were a Paladin that killed me...would you leave it? In most cases, I don't think people will.

IsildurTue 26-May-09 04:21 PM
5969 posts
#80427, "RE: Man you were a tough battle!"
In response to Reply #16

>"A no-disarm weapon that dispels and other things is just not
>much fun for anyone, IMO"

The implicit argument behind this statement is that defiance makes the game un-fun the paladin's opponents because...it makes him unkillable. But by killing him you demonstrate that isn't the case.

>I never said it made him unkillable, just harder to kill and
>also a very annoying weapon. If I was an AP with a charged
>weapon and you were a Paladin that killed me...would you leave
>it? In most cases, I don't think people will.

The AP example doesn't exactly work, for a couple of reasons:

1. There's a very clear-cut role-play reason for any paladin to sac an anti-paladin's unholy weapon. Dude is feeding off the trapped essence of other peoples' souls. That sucker needs to be destroyed.

2. The "anti-paladin with 300 charge weapon" is way, way more scary than "random paladin with defiance".

3. Destroying an anti-paladin's unholy weapon makes all that evil power "go away". Sac'ing defiance just makes it go back to its original location, where it will quickly be retrieved by...some other paladin. So it's going to stay in circulation. By destroying it, you only really accomplish transferring it to some other paladin.

But, to answer your question, if I were a paladin who killed some evil guy with an evil_only weapon comparable to defiance, then I probably wouldn't take it. For instance, a duergar with the nodisarm axe from Arin'gird (and crown).

Dierj (Guest)Tue 26-May-09 05:55 PM

#80439, "That wasn't what I said, nor meant."
In response to Reply #18

I have never said, nor did I make the argument that someone is "unkillable" with defiance. For my build, while under protections, yes, defiance isn't much to deal with. For other darklings out there like warriors, assassins...yada yada, it is a very hard thing to fight against and it can make a major swing in battle. I in no way was making the statement that defiance makes someone unkillable, as I've destroyed it more than once with the character.

Also remember, that I play a role as well, that knows that getting defiance can likely end in the deaths of another goodie just trying to get it. So..I'm well within my role to destroy an item of power such as defiance.

Raner (Guest)Tue 26-May-09 12:14 AM

#80358, "RE: Man you were a tough battle!"
In response to Reply #10

Yeah, I enjoyed all of our fights. Amazing dam redux fighting you, going from dealing ***DEMO/***DEVA to decimates is nuts haha.

I'm sure that in your situation, I would have taken my defiance also. That time I took it a little harder than I would have, because I finally got it back after losing it 150 hours ago, and I had it for maybe 15 minutes. Haha. Woe is me.

Keep trucking with Dierj. Good char and well played.

Dierj (Guest)Tue 26-May-09 03:30 PM

#80424, "I hear you on the woe is me part."
In response to Reply #13

There have been so many times in my characters lives that I have finally gotten some piece of gear only to lose it amazingly fast. It was like that was my achilles heel.

Castiel (Guest)Mon 25-May-09 11:51 PM

#80355, "RE: There goes the Rabbit!"
In response to Reply #2

You forgot about me!

Anyway, our first and last conversation was cool!

Sad that you did not see what happened between me and Padwei afterward

Good luck with your next

YeanTue 26-May-09 09:08 PM
Member since 23rd Jan 2007
275 posts
#80452, "RE: There goes the Rabbit!"
In response to Reply #2

>Yean!!! - wow, you are truly awesomespectacularwonderous. New
>word google it. You gave me everything and more someone could
>ever hope for. So many times you just happened to pop down and
>say hey when I really needed a pick me up from a mob death
>when so close to a lv. Your RP just meshed wonderfully with
>Raners and i'm only kicking myself for not earning your tattoo
>yet. But I was a bit lost but theres always next time!! But
>thank you for everything you did for me, and you will
>definately see me at the hut again one day.

You're most welcome. I thought you did a bang up job despite the insane mob deaths :p You had my respect for sticking to your original plan so tenaciously..I was glad when you finally got out of that killerinsanesick (new word not in google) rut at 42.

And you were headed down the right path..out of curiousity in what manner did you feel lost? I was actually pretty surprised you didn't go dwarf imm considering your whole role. I hope you had fun with the religion though. I know I had fun with you as a follower. GLWYN!

Raner (Guest)Tue 26-May-09 10:26 PM

#80466, "killerinsanesick....I like it!"
In response to Reply #20

The only part I felt lost about, was I really wasnt sure what I needed to understand fully to really earn that tatt. I kind of half knew after talking to Borkahd, but really just didnt know how to express it in Raner's way.

But, hey theres always next time so you'll be seeing me again.

Ailinilia (Guest)Tue 26-May-09 10:18 PM

#80464, "RE: There goes the Rabbit!"
In response to Reply #2

You were a great dwarf and Ailinilia really did not like dwarves. You stank, drank too much and were way too hairy. Thank goodness you ate those grapes, you were a bit less ugly as a female dwarf; I loved your righteous indignation at our laughter. You were so much fun. I appreciated your dedication to doing things on your own. I wish you would have taken some of my aid, you might have been around for a bit longer.

No worries about making Ailinilia feel bad. That is who she is. Hope to see you around in another less offensive character

Aeinrez (Guest)Mon 25-May-09 08:10 AM

#80264, "Awww wtf!"
In response to Reply #0

It was good times making fun of you for being short, or being a woman, or any of the other reasons I felt necessary to rib you.

I can't believe you solo ranked a two-handed dwarven paladin. Wtf is wrong with you man? Lots of respect for that.

Hope to see you again sometime.

Raner (Guest)Mon 25-May-09 08:22 AM

#80266, "Solo ranking = bye con!"
In response to Reply #1

From about lv 25 onwards I never had max con. Thats how often I died haha.

I enjoyed all of our banter, grats on the Maran it was very well deserved!!

Hope to see you get a leader spot one day soon. Keep it up son!

Top General Discussions The Battlefield Topic #80262 Previous topic | Next topic