Subject: "Ghriz hits the ground...DEAD!!" Previous topic | Next topic
Printer-friendly copy Email this topic to a friend CF Website
Top General Discussions The Battlefield Topic #78345
Show all folders

Ghriz (Guest)Sun 29-Mar-09 04:17 PM

#78345, "Ghriz hits the ground...DEAD!!"

If not for my love of this orc's tale, I could have never stomached playing him for this long. Orcs are, without a doubt, the most hamstrung, ####ed up race/class to exist. Mundunugus maybe more than other kinds.

That being said, there were fun moments. To those who lost gear when you died to me - I apologize. For quite a while there it didn't even occur to me that making a war banner out of your corpse nuked a bunch of the gear within it. That's yet another annoying facet of the class, much like the restrictions on "desecration", the time between making bloody skins, etc.

I had high hopes for getting this character into Scion and even imming, but it seemed like I was just pushing, pushing, pushing with no end in sight and I didn't want to imm without having a good run. It went well until I hit the hero range.

In my opinion, orcs are practically unplayable at the hero range. I realize quite a few have gotten chief and ran around whoring themselves to whatever ally they can find...but I can't bring myself to be someone's bitch like that. So, I guess it's a playstyle issue.

This one is personal: Rorg, you are an inconsiderate ass to do what you did. I don't know if you are squatting on the chief spot for any good reason, but it's definitely not cool. Stop playing your gnome shifter, neo-thief, outlander or whatever and put a bullet in the character or get off your ass and go get it handed to you like the rest of us chumps.

Over and out.

-Ghriz

Alert | IP Printer Friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Reply orcs arent all that bad, goganop (Guest), 31-Mar-09 10:59 AM, #15
Reply I disagree, Ghriz (Guest), 31-Mar-09 11:53 AM, #16
     Reply Here's something to consider., Alzinghul (Guest), 31-Mar-09 02:32 PM, #17
     Reply I think Mamlauk is the way to go nt, Ghriz (Guest), 31-Mar-09 04:04 PM, #18
     Reply Are these three all Malmies?n/t, OrcCurious (Guest), 31-Mar-09 05:16 PM, #19
     Reply RE: Here's something to consider., Thymas (Guest), 31-Mar-09 11:45 PM, #21
          Reply Not many... but I also went about it a different way., Alzinghul (Guest), 01-Apr-09 10:58 AM, #22
     Reply My thoughts, Thymas (Guest), 31-Mar-09 11:41 PM, #20
Reply Booo! Perma? NT, TMNS (Guest), 30-Mar-09 09:28 AM, #12
Reply Plea to imms, Ex-Orc (Guest), 30-Mar-09 03:35 AM, #11
Reply Question???, Edika (Guest), 29-Mar-09 09:55 PM, #5
Reply Here is what happened there..., Ghriz (Guest), 30-Mar-09 12:07 AM, #6
Reply RE: Ghriz hits the ground...DEAD!!, Mizheng (Guest), 29-Mar-09 09:22 PM, #4
Reply Correct, Ghriz (Guest), 30-Mar-09 12:17 AM, #10
Reply Bleh., Iunna, 29-Mar-09 07:03 PM, #3
Reply Always a pleasure, Ghriz (Guest), 30-Mar-09 12:13 AM, #9
     Reply I really had no idea., Iunna, 30-Mar-09 06:53 PM, #14
Reply Sorry, Humbert (Guest), 29-Mar-09 05:50 PM, #2
Reply Much respect, Ghriz (Guest), 30-Mar-09 12:13 AM, #8
Reply RE: Ghriz hits the ground...DEAD!!, Kasir (Guest), 29-Mar-09 05:43 PM, #1
     Reply That time, Ghriz (Guest), 30-Mar-09 12:11 AM, #7
          Reply Personally, I was surprised I even got the word off., Scrimbul, 30-Mar-09 11:04 AM, #13

goganop (Guest)Tue 31-Mar-09 10:59 AM

#78410, "orcs arent all that bad"
In response to Reply #0

Your just not playing them the right way, I am always wary of orcs because if they can tip a fight in their favor mechanically its just lag out the wazoo and no hope of escape without bash protection. That said when I was rocking my super gear I had a fight with alzinghoul where it turned out he was link dead but <i hit him, warcry/flurry and at the end of 4 rounds even after a 6 hit mega flurry I was booking with only 100 hp and he had just hit writhing.

Some of the orc edges do more then you would expect and can really give orcs a semi ludacris advantage over parts of the player base.

Ghriz (Guest)Tue 31-Mar-09 11:53 AM

#78411, "I disagree"
In response to Reply #15

What race were you? What protections did you have? Are you certain he wasn't hasted? Did he have an enslaved orc helping him, or a whole horde, or was he alone?

I'm not saying orcs can't win, but never (except for maybe with a thief) have I had trouble owning any orc I've ever fought. I can see why, now.

I had good edges, btw.

Alzinghul (Guest)Tue 31-Mar-09 02:32 PM

#78412, "Here's something to consider."
In response to Reply #16

Alzinghul - 82 Solo pks.
Zuktharg - 86 Solo pks.
Kubilak - 92 Solo pks.

If you have the right tactics for certain classes it is almost ensured you can win a lot of fights. There are certain match-ups that are certain death for an Orc and I will list them for you just so you know to avoid them, and possible ways to kill them.

1. Elf/Stsf/Dagger/Maran due to vuln light, swiftstrike, and good dodging you'll only be able to kill them if someone else tanks like your npc because you can dish out huge iron vuln damage on them and keep them lagged.
2. Bard that fiends you, if you can keep him perma-lagged you will win.
3. Shifter a/b/s hasted usually any form, but again if you can get your npc to tank for long enough hit a lucky spinebreak and drink all the blood to heal up then trample and finish him with a cheapshot lash you can win. I have a log of me doing so.
4. Transmuter that nails you with constant neuros, I still haven't the foggiest how to beat a hasted muter that out tanks an orcish berserker and keeps me perma lagged.
5. Two or three vitured elf paladin with defiance and champion stand, just spinebreak and wait for someone to help you gank them. Seriously 1 round wrath on an orc against champion stand paladin is an automatic loss.

The rest of the playerbase is open hunting which is a large amount. Assassins, Thieves, Most Warriors especially villagers, Invokers, Healers, Rangers.. the list goes on... I just feel like you might have been doing something wrong if you feel they are that broke. With a war banner I did ***deve*** on normal hits to prepped people.

Ghriz (Guest)Tue 31-Mar-09 04:04 PM

#78414, "I think Mamlauk is the way to go nt"
In response to Reply #17

no text

OrcCurious (Guest)Tue 31-Mar-09 05:16 PM

#78415, "Are these three all Malmies?n/t"
In response to Reply #17

Thymas (Guest)Tue 31-Mar-09 11:45 PM

#78420, "RE: Here's something to consider."
In response to Reply #17

Alz,

Have any idea how many kills you had before you got Chief?

Thymas

Alzinghul (Guest)Wed 01-Apr-09 10:58 AM

#78424, "Not many... but I also went about it a different way."
In response to Reply #21

I didn't start practicing any of my skills or defenses until I got to hero. I got lucky and pulled some good groups and just powered through knowing if I could get chief I could make some things happen.

Thymas (Guest)Tue 31-Mar-09 11:41 PM

#78419, "My thoughts"
In response to Reply #16

From my experience as an Orc - I was, am relatively a newbie to CF

1.) Orcs are not for newbies when you get to the hero range. I had very little knowledge of preps and Thera in general which made it harder for me to survive in PK

2.) If you are a non-chief orc, you will need all the help you can get. Having the hoarde with you makes a huge difference and you can definitely land more kills on non dexy characters. The hoarde also auto attacks on sight and then all you gotta do is bash bash bash or just lead the hoarde to the target and let it finish the job. When Alz was not running around with a hoarde he was either running with Zizzle, Thymas, etc.

3.) Mamlauks own - they hit harder with heavier weapons and the ability to drop weapons is awesome. I played a Shigru, and if I was to go again I would definitely play a Mamlauk. The rest of the orc types are not that great PK wise in my opinion.

4.) Spinebreaking is an amazing skill, both survival and PK wise. With the edge, you wouldn't miss too often. Unfortunately I didn't use it as much because I didn't have the patience. I saw Alz use it very effectively.

5.) The only way an Orc will actually land a PK is actually if you can bash the opponent. Fighting mages was a loosing battle. I killed quite a few warriors and paladins using fallback and then bash bash bash. Fighting dagger specs was difficult for me because once they landed a hamstring I would get pwned.

6.) Orcs can use all kinds of weapons which makes them very versatile. You have the ability to use the opponents vuln.

7.) Lastly if you want to play an orc, actually play like an orc. Bring alot of others to fight along with you. Gang and vulture, and try to get opportunitic kills. Don't take alot of risk. There is no honor as an orc, so don't go in there with a warrior mentality. Always be ready to recall and hide.

Lastly as an Orc, make some key allies and stick with them. Without allies, I personally don't think orcs are as much fun and definitely not that deadly unless you are a chief.

Thymas

TMNS (Guest)Mon 30-Mar-09 09:28 AM

#78373, "Booo! Perma? NT"
In response to Reply #0

NT

Ex-Orc (Guest)Mon 30-Mar-09 03:35 AM

#78367, "Plea to imms"
In response to Reply #0

1. >Orcs are ####ed up race/class to exist.
They are SO weak on hero.
Any class but healer could beat them easily.

Plea to immortals:
Beef orc's defenses. And add/make combat skills valuable.
As of now orc got 2 usefull commands: bash and flee.
And situationally spinebreaker,crushing assault and grapple. Which would usually get you killed.
The rest of skills is next to worthless.

2. >Mundunugus maybe more than other kinds.
Ya, besides resistance to light/auto-dirt, Mundunugu get trash for skills.

Again couple suggestions:

a) Make bloodritual potions/fetishes made from PCs not to crumble. But add rot_death flag to them.

b) Beef bloodritual pots. Or maybe totally change what this skill does.
Brewing potion which grants +2str giant strength and crumbles in 5 hours... is not terribly useful for hero.

Just to illustrate, here is the list of spells you get from these pots (npc versions):
Your mental fatigue lessens.x2 (33-47mana)
Cure deafness x2
Fly
Spell: 'courage' modifies save vs mental by -8 for 10 hours.
Spell: 'tenacity' modifies hp by 19 for 5 hours.
Spell: 'giant strength' modifies strength by 2 for 19 hours.
Spell: 'resist cold' for 4 hours.
Spell: 'quickness' modifies dexterity by 1 for 7 hours.
Spell: 'detect good' for 19 hours.
Spell: 'accuracy' modifies hit roll by 2 for 6 hours.
Spell: 'ferocity' modifies damage roll by 2 for 4 hours.

>In my opinion, orcs are practically unplayable at the hero range.

Imms... please help poor orcs... so they would not be such miserable disaster.

Edika (Guest)Sun 29-Mar-09 09:55 PM

#78356, "Question???"
In response to Reply #0

Why did you always run in look at me and then run away?

The other time, were you being stupid when you told Fyeereth that you felt creeped out or something along the line of me marking you? Or was it a trick to confuse the frecking heck ou of Fyeereth and get me kicked out of the Inn?

Ghriz (Guest)Mon 30-Mar-09 12:07 AM

#78360, "Here is what happened there..."
In response to Reply #5

When I was asking if you had marked me, it's because I had been keeping track of this odd thing that kept happening...out of nowhere, without me pressing anything, I would get a prompt return, as if I had hit "enter." The last couple of times it happened I knew there was an assassin next to me, and in my range. I was trying to figure out if there was something buggy going on.

I guess I will never know.

As for looking at you, well, camping on all that gear whilst sitting at the Inn is hard for me to take. I was grappling with the idea of abandoning my promise to Iunna just to take some of it off your hands . It's CarrionFields, after all.

Mizheng (Guest)Sun 29-Mar-09 09:22 PM

#78353, "RE: Ghriz hits the ground...DEAD!!"
In response to Reply #0

I thought your talk of 'shadows' had somthhing to do with becoming a Scion. I didnt even think orcs could join cabals could they?

At any rate...

Thanks for you know what and hope to see you round still in scions...we could use an invoker *nudge* *nudge* *wink* *ink*

Ghriz (Guest)Mon 30-Mar-09 12:17 AM

#78364, "Correct"
In response to Reply #4

Your suspicions were dead-on. I had been trying to get things moving towards that since the beginning. I wrote an extremely exhaustive role to give a heavy backstory and lots of props for the imms to work with (if any of them had wanted to). Unfortunately, it was always me pushing towards it...I had to go after every interaction. If you do that enough it just makes you feel like a pest.

I can only do an invoker once every few years, and it hasn't quite been long enough, but who knows. I think I've punished myself enough with a trapper, and then this guy, back-to-back. Whatever I do next, expect a high body count.

IunnaSun 29-Mar-09 07:03 PM
Member since 04th Mar 2003
473 posts
Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author Click to view this author's profile Click to add this author to your buddy list
#78351, "Bleh."
In response to Reply #0

I'm sorry to see this. I liked our interactions, and I was really
cheering for things to go your way. Good luck with whatever
is next in line for ya.

Ghriz (Guest)Mon 30-Mar-09 12:13 AM

#78363, "Always a pleasure"
In response to Reply #3

Mughol, now Ghriz. You can probably see me coming a mile away by now, huh?

IunnaMon 30-Mar-09 06:53 PM
Member since 04th Mar 2003
473 posts
Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author Click to view this author's profile Click to add this author to your buddy list
#78393, "I really had no idea."
In response to Reply #9

But I enjoyed my interactions with both equally.

Humbert (Guest)Sun 29-Mar-09 05:50 PM

#78349, "Sorry"
In response to Reply #0

Man I feel quite sorry for all the orcs that I fought. I appreciate that you would even fight at all as a non-Mamlauk (Mamlauks can hope for a lucky hack arm). Yeah orcs are a really weak class. Good luck with your next and don't do an orc Fire giant sword spec imperial is nicer.

Ghriz (Guest)Mon 30-Mar-09 12:13 AM

#78362, "Much respect"
In response to Reply #2

I have to tell you, when you came into the village and pretty much beat the #### out of every living thing there (myself included) without breaking a sweat, and with me trying every tactic in that grimy, worthless Orc Handbook, I was a bit defeated in spirit. Still, the gesture was cool and if you had gone down (by some kind of divine intervention, no doubt), I wouldn't have even taken your coins.

Thanks.

Kasir (Guest)Sun 29-Mar-09 05:43 PM

#78348, "RE: Ghriz hits the ground...DEAD!!"
In response to Reply #0

Sorry I wussed out on you and Katula on the Hamsah docks. Chalk it up to an irrational fear of dual-wielded axes and savage feeding. Also I think I was completely out of preps at the time.

From everything I heard, you were pretty cool. Orcs do seem frustrating. There are some situations where they're ideal, like ambushing a guy you out-melee and just bashing him into the ground, but those are few and far between.

Ghriz (Guest)Mon 30-Mar-09 12:11 AM

#78361, "That time"
In response to Reply #1

...I thought we were both super screwed. I was lucky she worded me, I thought. And yes, orcs are very frustrating. They are like Danny DeVito in "Twins"...the #### that's left over. The only time I could rely on my skills was when I was fighting someone lower leveled, and if they had even an ounce of skill I was still usually in for a tough fight. Seriously, do orcs have a ####ty version of parry? Sometimes it worked well, but most of the time it was like I was fighting barehanded and slowed. Ugh, anyways. It's all over now. I can breathe normally.

You have a mean combo going there. But, you know that.

I fully expect (and hope) to see some of the abilities you are using so very well to get nerfed after you have your run though. It's just a bit too nutty right now, imho.

ScrimbulMon 30-Mar-09 11:04 AM
Member since 22nd Apr 2003
884 posts
Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author Click to view this author's profile Click to add this author to your buddy list Click to send message via AOL IM Click to send message via ICQ
#78374, "Personally, I was surprised I even got the word off."
In response to Reply #7

I later realized I was still gagged, and evidently it doesn't 100% stop spells. I was obscenely lucky to have gotten us both out but frankly it sounds like he lost interest when he realized you might rip him to shreds and he couldn't use a full set of bindings on both of us.

Bard Repertoire Clarifications:
http://forums.carrionfields.com/dc/dcboard.php?az=show_mesg&forum=6&topic_id=23735&mesg_id=23735&page=

Top General Discussions The Battlefield Topic #78345 Previous topic | Next topic