Subject: "Another one down the drain" Previous topic | Next topic
Printer-friendly copy Email this topic to a friend CF Website
Top General Discussions The Battlefield Topic #78047
Show all folders

Golly-wyn (Guest)Sat 21-Mar-09 04:44 PM

#78047, "Another one down the drain"

Feeling that Empire was in need of some boost, I rolled Gollywyn to be a constant presence (mostly during European day/evening time). In some ways I feel I did accomplish that, seeing numbers constantly raising while I went through the ranks. As War Master, I was very generous with promotions, and only once demoted someone, trying to get as big an army as possible (since I feel that Empire's strength lies in numbers mostly). My goal here was to fill the four elite spots as quickly as possible, and then start a more strict way of leading the Sect. After returning from a short absence (holidays) and seeing I lost the War Master spot, I knew it was time to go. Something else that triggered that was constantly facing overwhelming odds (although that was just they reason why I rolled Gollywyn). In the beginning it's nice to dodge around the enemies, but in the end it just got boring. I have a log somewhere where I was pretty much the only evil hero, and facing 15 others, a variety of Fortressers, Outlanders and Villagers. That was one of the constants during my whole Empire life, by the way. Those odds greatly influenced my playing style, shifting rather quickly from semi-offensive to very defensive. I was very reluctant to face odds more than 2-on-1, unless in raid situations. 1-on-1 I think I did rather well. Daggers and maces make a fine combination (there's not many who were able to wield their things with dagger and mace maledictions), even though I missed boneshattering in PK regularly. Legacies were soul of the mountain (which is a very good choice) and whirlwind of steel (last time I'm picking this as an arial). I also tried to show some 'honor', never joining the Empire gank, fighting my fights mostly 1-on-1, and hardly ever touching any corpse, no matter how shiny the loot was. After a few fights it started to pay off, because most people would do the same. And thank god for that, because having to rearmor while facing the odds I did, would probably have directed my to deleting much quicker.Of course, I did take the money. Ah money. I spent literally sh*tloads of time gathering money and preps, and always tried to have my donations above 1.100.000 coppers. Now I come to think of it, this might have influenced my decision as well. All in all, this wasn't the best character I rolled, but I definitely enjoyed her more than Sil.

Special thanks go out to Enlilth. You, sir, I greet. Your occasional words over cb, your special visits at times, and most of all, your help while I was raiding against 4 or 5 of the Fort made it all the more worthwile. Thanks for that, it's those little things that I expect from an Immortal leading a cabal; not overdone, and not at regular intervals or so, but just .. letting your empire know you're around and watching them. I love you man, great job.

To all the others, post away!

PS Unalethekai, I rather fight with you than against you, you friggin' animal. Be well man.

Alert | IP Printer Friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Reply Sorry to see you go..., Dolce (Guest), 22-Mar-09 08:15 PM, #15
Reply You're doing just fine, Golly (Guest), 23-Mar-09 02:09 AM, #18
Reply Well done., Firhindil (Guest), 22-Mar-09 06:11 PM, #14
Reply RE: Well done., Golly (Guest), 23-Mar-09 02:01 AM, #17
Reply Well done., Firbuhr (Guest), 22-Mar-09 03:14 PM, #13
Reply From the very first moment, Golly (Guest), 23-Mar-09 01:48 AM, #16
Reply RE: Another one down the drain, Nian (Guest), 22-Mar-09 07:24 AM, #11
Reply First fights.., Golly (Guest), 22-Mar-09 08:14 AM, #12
Reply RE: Another one down the drain, Drue (Guest), 22-Mar-09 02:19 AM, #5
Reply Do you realize..., Golly (Guest), 22-Mar-09 03:49 AM, #6
Reply RE: Another one down the drain, Mirto (Guest), 21-Mar-09 09:30 PM, #4
Reply He man, Golly (Guest), 22-Mar-09 03:57 AM, #7
     Reply RE: He man, Mirto (Guest), 22-Mar-09 07:08 AM, #10
Reply RE: Another one down the drain, Ahtieli2 (Guest), 21-Mar-09 08:57 PM, #3
Reply No hard feelings, Golly (Guest), 22-Mar-09 04:04 AM, #8
Reply You did well, Mreash (Guest), 21-Mar-09 08:46 PM, #2
Reply Good fights indeed, Golly (Guest), 22-Mar-09 04:15 AM, #9
Reply RE: Another one down the drain, Isildur, 21-Mar-09 08:13 PM, #1

Dolce (Guest)Sun 22-Mar-09 08:15 PM

#78075, "Sorry to see you go..."
In response to Reply #0

... I think there really could have been some cool 'tension' between the two of us.

Your and my login times didn't really mesh up too well (I'm in the US Eastern Time Zone and work a typical 9-5 job... so usually log in when I get home around 6pm... log off to pick my wife up at the train and eat dinner... and then try and log back in in the evening), but I thought you were a good War Master when we did get to work together. OOC - I hadn't seen you in over two weeks and really figured you were well on your way to an auto-delete. Seeing you log in today really had me thinking on how we could make things work. Oh well.

You had balls, knew your stuff, were quick with a promotion, and were deathful - all good things in a War Master. I'll try my best to fill your little arial shoes. GLWYN.

Golly (Guest)Mon 23-Mar-09 02:09 AM

#78083, "You're doing just fine"
In response to Reply #15

My goal as War master wasn't to be deathful, just be a constant in the Empire, and raise the numbers and get some heroes together. I thought about the tension thing, and going back for the war master spot but I've got more than enough stress at work, and I felt interest in the character waning, so ... . You've got a perfect build for a powerful war master, I think you're the perfect follow up, really.

Firhindil (Guest)Sun 22-Mar-09 06:11 PM

#78072, "Well done."
In response to Reply #0

Thanks for playing a cool and fun character. What can I say but you got me! It was well done. I was a little overconfident after I beat the three of you around in the Village. You prepped, hit the hamstring, and I had no counter to it other than dying like a chump.

See you on the next character.

Golly (Guest)Mon 23-Mar-09 02:01 AM

#78082, "RE: Well done."
In response to Reply #14

I can't say I was reluctant to go at Villagers, but I did take the time to prepare, and if possible, choose the battlefield. I parried and dodged well enough, as an arial, and -20 str and -20 dex didn't even drop my mace (I had soul of the mountain to cover the HP), so I wasn't too bothered with the death blows, but still, if you're unlucky and get two of those during a fight, well, chances are you won't make it out alive. Cool fights and thanks for returning my things there.

Firbuhr (Guest)Sun 22-Mar-09 03:14 PM

#78068, "Well done."
In response to Reply #0

From what I can tell you did very well, and fulfilled the goals you stated in your farewell. I was a little surprised at how nice you were, but you have explained your reasons and I certainly don't complain.

I would have liked to actually travel a bit with you, but we only met once after I finally got to lvl 44.

This is my first Empire character, so I feel lucky having had you as sect leader. Good luck with your next and have fun.

Golly (Guest)Mon 23-Mar-09 01:48 AM

#78081, "From the very first moment"
In response to Reply #13

You had my sympathy, I don't know why really. Perhaps because it showed this was your first Empire char, because it was your first spec choice (I'm really interested in how that went), or just because you're a nice person like I am . It's true I might have been a bit too nice, but then I was like, 'Until we don't have the numbers, my blades will have to fight on their own, so a little help here and there won't do any harm'. Also, rapid promotions were a direct result of my experience with Sil, and a changed view on the game: people don't tend to play 10-15 hours a day anymore, so things need to be sped up a bit; and of course, it's still a game, meant to be fun. So there you go!

Nian (Guest)Sun 22-Mar-09 07:24 AM

#78061, "RE: Another one down the drain"
In response to Reply #0

I really regretted that you chose the wrong side of the fence. You were always up for a good fight, ie. you pretty much tooled me by default ..., but I was going to get you some day!

I had much respect for you, keep them coming.

Golly (Guest)Sun 22-Mar-09 08:14 AM

#78062, "First fights.."
In response to Reply #11

I pretty much tooled you, mostly because of the 7 or 8 level gap.. later on I had still had to use protection, stone skin, resist lightning, aura and enlarge to fight. Damn that legacy, btw.

Drue (Guest)Sun 22-Mar-09 02:19 AM

#78054, "RE: Another one down the drain"
In response to Reply #0

I liked this char. We battled quite a bit during our odd-hour time contraints. Usually you were logging off right around the time the Empire majority started waking. (It is pretty consistent, and you can see the time zones kicking in when player base swings take place)

We had some good fights, and you never resorted to the lopsided nonsense that usually prevails of late.

Give me a dozen enemies like you, and I will keep playing indefinately.

Take care,

Golly (Guest)Sun 22-Mar-09 03:49 AM

#78055, "Do you realize..."
In response to Reply #5

We go back a loooong time?

I don't play even half as much as I used to, but amongst past characters you'll find Elstratuviel and Gorach (and probably half the elven bard popuplation of 5 years ago). We fought together and against one another already countless times. It's good to know others are as daft as I am

I'll see you back in the fields soon enough I take it.

Mirto (Guest)Sat 21-Mar-09 09:30 PM

#78052, "RE: Another one down the drain"
In response to Reply #0

Thanks for easy Elite though I'd prefer to get it from Empress - damn the time gathering gold Had no chance to fight alongside with you or interact in any other way though, but what I've seen of you by other characters left fine feeling so good luck with next.

Golly (Guest)Sun 22-Mar-09 03:57 AM

#78056, "He man"
In response to Reply #4

You were going to be my anathema (I heard some rumors about you openly applying for my spot, and of course I could not let that pass me by, moreover because you seemed to know your stuff). In hindsight I might just have been fooled into believing that though. But after my holidays I returned as an elite, so well .

Mirto (Guest)Sun 22-Mar-09 07:08 AM

#78060, "RE: He man"
In response to Reply #7

You were fooled Not that I'd refuse to take your spot but for some reason I don't realy seek it.

Ahtieli2 (Guest)Sat 21-Mar-09 08:57 PM

#78051, "RE: Another one down the drain"
In response to Reply #0

I also tried to show some 'honor', never joining the Empire gank, fighting my fights mostly 1-on-1, and hardly ever touching any corpse, no matter how shiny the loot was.

Pretty much one of the main reasons why you got War master spot. Our time did not match at all but I thought you should get a chance. Then I stopped hearing about you at all and there was very active Dolce who plays during my time, so I could observe him. That's why you got demoted.

Good luck with your next.

Golly (Guest)Sun 22-Mar-09 04:04 AM

#78057, "No hard feelings"
In response to Reply #3

I expected something like that already. While I was snowboarding I was like '####, I forgot to send a note to Empire about my absence'. Oh well. Dolce's probably a very good choice, perhaps even better than me, deathliness-wise then. Too bad our times didn't match at all though. I would have liked traveling with you for a while.

Mreash (Guest)Sat 21-Mar-09 08:46 PM

#78050, "You did well"
In response to Reply #0

After our first interaction, which was me ambushing you at the huntress, I was not very impressed. You always had courage but later on you showed you were pretty deadly too. I really enjoyed our hero level fights, they could have gone either way, but neither of us died. Good job, and good luck on your next.

Golly (Guest)Sun 22-Mar-09 04:15 AM

#78059, "Good fights indeed"
In response to Reply #2

Rangers weren't my biggest issue though... as long as I stayed out of the woods . Inside the woods, I'd get my ass whooped if my specs didn't come through from the first time, and even then I always had to be careful. And so, I stayed away from the woods most of the times

IsildurSat 21-Mar-09 08:13 PM
Member since 04th Mar 2003
5969 posts
Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author Click to view this author's profile Click to add this author to your buddy list
#78049, "RE: Another one down the drain"
In response to Reply #0

>I also tried
>to show some 'honor', never joining the Empire gank, fighting
>my fights mostly 1-on-1, and hardly ever touching any corpse,
>no matter how shiny the loot was. After a few fights it
>started to pay off, because most people would do the same.

This has been my experience the past couple of characters. You generally reap what you sow.

Top General Discussions The Battlefield Topic #78047 Previous topic | Next topic