Subject: "(DELETED) [BATTLE] Rynald the Eye, MageSlayer" Previous topic | Next topic
Printer-friendly copy Email this topic to a friend CF Website
Top General Discussions The Battlefield Topic #76892
Show all folders

Death_AngelSat 14-Feb-09 02:53 PM
Member since 28th Sep 2024
17190 posts
Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author Click to view this author's profile Click to add this author to your buddy list
#76892, "(DELETED) [BATTLE] Rynald the Eye, MageSlayer"

Wed Feb 11 07:13:05 2009

At 1 o'clock PM, Day of Thunder, 3rd of the Month of the Grand Struggle
on the Theran calendar Rynald perished, never to return.

Race:arial
Class:thief
Level:41
Alignment:Neutral
Ethos:Chaotic
Cabal:BATTLE, the BattleRagers, Haters of Magic
Hours:128

Alert | IP Printer Friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Reply How did you have 132 thief points at level 41?, Shapa, 25-Jan-13 07:13 PM, #19
Reply Costs/paths changed mid-character, Daevryn, 25-Jan-13 09:55 PM, #20
Reply Deleted off-topic russian stupidity (n/t), Zulghinlour, 14-Feb-09 02:53 PM, #13
Reply Heh, we were pwned by Zulg :) n/t, Elhe (Guest), 14-Feb-09 03:20 PM, #14
Reply OMGDZRR n/t, Beront (Guest), 14-Feb-09 11:15 PM, #15
Reply And Trogdor smot the Russians and all was laid to burni..., Johnnyboy (Guest), 16-Feb-09 03:28 AM, #18
Reply Goodbyes, etc., Daevryn, 11-Feb-09 08:50 AM, #12
     Reply Liked Rynald, lurker, 11-Feb-09 09:43 AM, #1
     Reply I <3 imm characters, Some dude (Guest), 11-Feb-09 02:13 PM, #2
     Reply Note sarcasm within!, Xanthrailles, 11-Feb-09 03:10 PM, #3
     Reply Sadly:, Daevryn, 13-Feb-09 12:15 AM, #8
     Reply I was so close to doing the dirty on you. But yeah., TMNS (Guest), 11-Feb-09 04:28 PM, #4
     Reply Thieves, The Baron (Guest), 11-Feb-09 04:55 PM, #5
     Reply RE: Thieves, Daevryn, 13-Feb-09 12:23 AM, #9
          Reply RE: Thieves, The Baron (Guest), 13-Feb-09 09:12 AM, #10
               Reply RE: Thieves, Daevryn, 13-Feb-09 09:51 PM, #11
     Reply Woot!, Straklaw, 12-Feb-09 04:28 PM, #6
     Reply Yeats? Yeats? I say, good sir, bravo., TMNS (Guest), 12-Feb-09 10:50 PM, #7
     Reply Fun times, Noctrell (Guest), 14-Feb-09 11:41 PM, #16
          Reply RE: Fun times, Daevryn, 15-Feb-09 09:20 AM, #17

ShapaFri 25-Jan-13 07:13 PM
Member since 22nd Jun 2006
252 posts
Click to send private message to this author Click to add this author to your buddy list
#113157, "How did you have 132 thief points at level 41?"
In response to Reply #0

Taking knife(8) + bribe mercenary(1) + blackjack(8) + doubleback(2) + precision strike(5) + improved hide(4) + grapple(2) + separate(6) instead of acrobatics(32+12) + earclap(50+2) + prey on the weak(52+4)?

Boo to you too, but in a kind way

DaevrynFri 25-Jan-13 09:55 PM
Member since 13th Feb 2007
11117 posts
Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author Click to view this author's profile Click to add this author to your buddy list
#113163, "Costs/paths changed mid-character"
In response to Reply #19

The last thief revamp happened in the middle of this character, really to his detriment. He was stuck with skills that used to be part of paths that he didn't want that became unpathed, and generally what he already had became more expensive.

The build I had in mind for him was doable before the revamp, and it's doable still with a fresh character rolled after the revamp -- but not one that has circumstances change this way midstream.

ZulghinlourSat 14-Feb-09 02:53 PM
Member since 04th Mar 2003
9792 posts
#77035, "Deleted off-topic russian stupidity (n/t)"
In response to Reply #0

n/t

So long, and thanks for all the fish!

Elhe (Guest)Sat 14-Feb-09 03:20 PM

#77036, "Heh, we were pwned by Zulg :) n/t"
In response to Reply #13

n/t

Beront (Guest)Sat 14-Feb-09 11:15 PM

#77047, "OMGDZRR n/t"
In response to Reply #13

n/t

Johnnyboy (Guest)Mon 16-Feb-09 03:28 AM

#77092, "And Trogdor smot the Russians and all was laid to burni..."
In response to Reply #13

FTR

DaevrynSat 14-Feb-09 02:53 PM
11117 posts
#76895, "Goodbyes, etc."
In response to Reply #0

As an experiment I've decided to cop to playing Rynald.

I should have deleted him a month or two ago; during his life I changed jobs, and things related to that took up a lot of my time and energy for a while there. I thought I'd find the spark again, but I never did. Because of that, my memory's a little dull already on his life and times and these goodbyes will be less specific than they otherwise might be.

Playing Battle, as always, was a mixed bag. I definitely took some deaths I wouldn't have with any non-Battle character, but I generally had a good time doing it.

Battle: I'm sorry for hogging the Mageslayer spot dormant for a while there. Most of you were cool.

Everyone else: Most of you were cool, too.

It probably won't be today, but I'll see if I can post a few logs. Most of what I have saved isn't anything to write home about, but there are a few gems.

lurkerWed 11-Feb-09 09:43 AM
Member since 13th Mar 2006
249 posts
Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author Click to add this author to your buddy list
#76896, "Liked Rynald"
In response to Reply #12

Solid Rager.

Some dude (Guest)Wed 11-Feb-09 02:13 PM

#76905, "I <3 imm characters"
In response to Reply #12

I know you (and other imms) have been coy about owning up to your past morts, but I speak for a lot of people when I say I love to know the "DMs" are playing too. Not only does it raise the game for the rest of us, but it reassures people that that writers and coders and empowerers haven't lost touch with why they started playing in the first place.

Keep on keepin' on, Nep.

XanthraillesWed 11-Feb-09 03:10 PM
Member since 04th Mar 2003
391 posts
Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author Click to view this author's profile Click to add this author to your buddy list Click to send message via AOL IM Click to send message via ICQ
#76908, "Note sarcasm within!"
In response to Reply #12

I thought I'd save us all a lot of time by getting this out of the way. Thief change came because imm played one! I only died to you because you snooped me with your imm! Yay, I killed Nepenthe! You screwed my link over, so you could kill me. You secretly coded quad-backstab for this character. I was going to kill you, but the dog ate my password.

Good luck with the new job.

DaevrynFri 13-Feb-09 12:15 AM
11117 posts
#76966, "Sadly:"
In response to Reply #3

The thief revamp was really hard on me, mechanically.

I definitely took my time levelling, but I had a plan in mind for hero. If the thief revamp hadn't happened until after I heroed, I think I could have made it work. If it'd happened before I rolled, I think I could have made it work.

As is, I got to be level 40ish when it happened, with a bunch of skills I wouldn't have taken if I had had the choice, and the realization that, even if I heroed, my thief point tally would never become positive.

C'est la vie. Sometimes change is the elevator, and sometimes it's the shaft. Even I don't get to be exempt from that.

TMNS (Guest)Wed 11-Feb-09 04:28 PM

#76911, "I was so close to doing the dirty on you. But yeah."
In response to Reply #12

You rock Nepersauce.

The Baron (Guest)Wed 11-Feb-09 04:55 PM

#76914, "Thieves"
In response to Reply #12

From a player perspective, how did you find the new thieves? What do you think was underpowered versus what was overpowered?

I'll assume that you'll probably get a PBF (or someone else will for you), but as I didn't have any interaction with you, what path did you take?

Your playing style is different from a lot of other players', but as you have the unique perspective of the Wizard sometimes and being Dorothy other times, I'm curious of your thoughts. Share, dude.

DaevrynFri 13-Feb-09 12:23 AM
11117 posts
#76970, "RE: Thieves"
In response to Reply #5

This isn't my first 'new' thief, if new in this case is post thief skills split.

In this case, I was split pickpocket/thug, so, not as different as I could be from the way I played thief in the olden days. I don't know, it worked pretty well for me.

I don't think it lacks for power -- there wasn't a death I took that would have happened to me playing a non-Battle character, and with the exception of a death in the Rites, all of my deaths were without powers and involved in a fight that was, strictly speaking, not very smart trying to get the head back.

There are people you can't beat in a straight up fight on their terms, but you don't have to. Sometimes I'd kill someone and they'd bitch that I only could do it because I caught them beat up -- welcome to fighting a thief.

I do wonder now if what I had in mind would have worked out at hero the way I'd been hoping. The timing of the thief revamp dashed that plan and I wasn't as excited about trying to do it missing a couple skills I felt were really crucial to my strategy.

The Baron (Guest)Fri 13-Feb-09 09:12 AM

#76986, "RE: Thieves"
In response to Reply #9

What I learned through playing Corticas was that knife was a crucial skill (or something that could open combat and either lag or last one round) and I was missing it. Had I had knife, I would have been able to do a lot nastier things.

Did you have anything to do with the coding of the new thief system?

DaevrynFri 13-Feb-09 09:51 PM
11117 posts
#77015, "RE: Thieves"
In response to Reply #10

>Did you have anything to do with the coding of the new thief
>system?

I don't think I did.

StraklawThu 12-Feb-09 04:28 PM
Member since 10th Mar 2003
1014 posts
Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author Click to view this author's profile Click to add this author to your buddy list Click to send message via AOL IM
#76952, "Woot!"
In response to Reply #12

I chilled with Daevryn! On a side note though, damn was it annoying to have played my Magistrate Rywald the year before, and then try hanging out with a guy named Rynald the next year, heh.

TMNS (Guest)Thu 12-Feb-09 10:50 PM

#76961, "Yeats? Yeats? I say, good sir, bravo."
In response to Reply #12

Your roles are always a pleasure for me.

Noctrell (Guest)Sat 14-Feb-09 11:41 PM

#77048, "Fun times"
In response to Reply #12

I always enjoyed fighting you. There was a few weeks when we were both on at the same time pretty much every night and had some good fights. It was 1-0 in my favor, but there was one fight you had me very close to death.

Were you really in the room after my scourge got you or did you just make that up IC when you said I looted your coins? I was mad at myself for taking the gold, and frankly not sure why I did.

When I knew you were on, I was always flying, so you cost me tons of gold

Noctrell

DaevrynSun 15-Feb-09 09:20 AM
11117 posts
#77063, "RE: Fun times"
In response to Reply #16

>Were you really in the room after my scourge got you or did
>you just make that up IC when you said I looted your coins? I
>was mad at myself for taking the gold, and frankly not sure
>why I did.

I was there. Yay, sneak.

Rynald was the kind of guy to seize on any reason why a guy like Noctrell couldn't be trusted, and it worked out pretty well in that respect.

Probably it was stupid of me to come at you that time on the water with no head, but I figured I wanted to get it back and I knew there wasn't any way that was happening without killing you first, so I rolled the dice on it.

Top General Discussions The Battlefield Topic #76892 Previous topic | Next topic