Subject: "Dead" Previous topic | Next topic
Printer-friendly copy Email this topic to a friend CF Website
Top General Discussions The Battlefield Topic #73394
Show all folders

Camridarinil (Guest)Wed 22-Oct-08 01:34 PM

#73394, "Dead"

Camridarinil was my first wood elf ranger and my first marshdweller, and as far as experiments go I accomplished far more than I had hoped in that I learned several wand locations from stalking mages, explored more of Whistlewood than I knew existed, and enhanced my outlander lore. My role was minimal, my fighting ability largely restricted to my home terrain or surprise attacks, and at no time did I feel I deserved to be harbinger. At one point in time I had approached Namanrin about how to get the Imp's tattoo, a goal of mine, but I felt nothing shocking or inspiring about this ranger, and so I gave it up as a lost cause.

My applicant interviewing process emphasized this simple point: Don't die on Eastern road. The typical verbal process was trimmed down to being able to recite the canned helpfile and give some justification about why that particular applicant wanted in the Refuge, but I liked how by having people run the gauntlet I didn't have to establish any type of level requirement. If you were tough or experienced enough to know how to survive the trip, you passed. I'm sorry if applicants felt cheated, but I saw outlander as a cabal for exploration of the self, and I wasn't going to have people chant history or recite names carved on the tree when there were outlander enemies to hunt.

I will respond to individual goodbyes and answer any questions people have. Thanks.

Alert | IP Printer Friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Reply I'm still asking myself, Ahtieli2 (Guest), 25-Oct-08 10:45 PM, #22
Reply Was this the time, at the tree, a day or two after you ..., Camridarinil (Guest), 25-Oct-08 11:12 PM, #23
     Reply What are you talking about?, Ahtieli2 (Guest), 26-Oct-08 12:14 AM, #24
          Reply RE: What are you talking about?, Daevryn, 26-Oct-08 12:38 AM, #25
          Reply I'm not trying to pull anything here., Camridarinil (Guest), 26-Oct-08 12:56 AM, #26
Reply I am gonna miss playing the who is this someone game, Goganop (Guest), 23-Oct-08 10:24 AM, #20
Reply RE: Dead, Nybbas (Guest), 23-Oct-08 09:59 AM, #19
Reply RE: Dead, Saerali, 23-Oct-08 08:13 AM, #17
Reply Way better than the other two., Bok (Guest), 23-Oct-08 12:38 AM, #14
Reply PS, Bok (Guest), 23-Oct-08 12:41 AM, #15
Reply Cocky punk, heh., Camridarinil (Guest), 23-Oct-08 08:18 AM, #18
     Reply This is intentional., Bok (Guest), 23-Oct-08 10:37 AM, #21
Reply Mhm hmm., Aunkdunell (Guest), 22-Oct-08 07:36 PM, #9
Reply Evil dude., Camridarinil (Guest), 22-Oct-08 09:00 PM, #13
Reply RE: Dead, Zizzle (Guest), 22-Oct-08 05:56 PM, #8
Reply Don't ever complain about instant deafen., Camridarinil (Guest), 22-Oct-08 08:38 PM, #11
     Reply It's actually a 1 tick deafen., Zizzle (Guest), 22-Oct-08 08:53 PM, #12
     Reply Switch that. Snare at huntress, not below., Bok (Guest), 23-Oct-08 12:43 AM, #16
Reply har!, Namanrin (Guest), 22-Oct-08 04:41 PM, #7
Reply You left big shoes to fill., Camridarinil (Guest), 22-Oct-08 08:24 PM, #10
Reply I'll miss you., Harlidbiggle (Guest), 22-Oct-08 03:43 PM, #4
Reply I will grudgingly miss working with you., Camridarinil (Guest), 22-Oct-08 04:11 PM, #6
Reply Man! You always had a way of catching me in my bad mome..., Zefta (Guest), 22-Oct-08 03:29 PM, #3
Reply I was lucky, Camridarinil (Guest), 22-Oct-08 04:06 PM, #5
Reply RE: Dead, Tlingit (Guest), 22-Oct-08 03:10 PM, #1
     Reply RE: Dead, Camridarinil (Guest), 22-Oct-08 03:26 PM, #2

Ahtieli2 (Guest)Sat 25-Oct-08 10:45 PM

#73522, "I'm still asking myself"
In response to Reply #0

Why did you run in the middle of fight with lich under insects, with no pets, in 1/3 of his health, with only one phylactery and crappy eq set, also lich was unable to find way out , nor land any spell on you, or damage you by mele attacks.

You could kill me there. So... why???

Camridarinil (Guest)Sat 25-Oct-08 11:12 PM

#73524, "Was this the time, at the tree, a day or two after you ..."
In response to Reply #22

to me and the grizzly?

Let me see. You seemed plenty strong for the laughable damage output I had against you, you could see me in camo, and there was a young ranger whom I strongly believe had sold you a phylactery of his corpse in exchange for a full loot of me. All I had to do was attempt one damage move to have you flee, return, and sleep me and then I'd have been dead. You came with no pets and were waiting for me in the woods before I could prepare suggested to me you meant to fight, not to raid, and my past experience with this character had taught me that in order to land a kill my victim needed to be caught by surprise. Finally, since the whole situation smelled of a setup I expected you to have an ally waiting in the wings.

I was playing conservatively, and since the odds of me killing you were smaller than you landing a sleep spell, I opted for a tactical withdrawl.

Ahtieli2 (Guest)Sun 26-Oct-08 12:14 AM

#73528, "What are you talking about?"
In response to Reply #23

>to me and the grizzly?

After that I attacked tree twice, first time you did not come at all, but hey, I don't mind at all.

Second time I actualy raided you, then went into your snare, you killed my pets. I was still insected, then you took about 2/3 of my health, while I was trying to land at least something but faerie fire, but I failed. Then I decided to move out and could not find my way , so I moved east from tree and you just ran away.

>Let me see. You seemed plenty strong for the laughable damage
>output I had against you, you could see me in camo, and there
>was a young ranger whom I strongly believe had sold you a
>phylactery of his corpse in exchange for a full loot of me.

That's really funny, because at least half of this is just impossible, nor I have idea what you are talking about.

>All I had to do was attempt one damage move to have you flee,
>return, and sleep me and then I'd have been dead. You came
>with no pets and were waiting for me in the woods before I
>could prepare suggested to me you meant to fight, not to raid,

Yea attacking tree means I was waiting for you in the woods and of course you could not prepare. What are you talking about? You are trying describe something that had never happened.

>and my past experience with this character had taught me that
>in order to land a kill my victim needed to be caught by
>surprise. Finally, since the whole situation smelled of a
>setup I expected you to have an ally waiting in the wings.

Do you really belive that only thing I can do is ganging? And you had lowbies there to inform you if I'm alone or no.

>I was playing conservatively, and since the odds of me killing
>you were smaller than you landing a sleep spell, I opted for a
>tactical withdrawl.

I don't mind of conservative playing, though there is a big difference between being conservative and paranoid. I mean c'mon, you were killing me there, you were in perfect, you had lowbie druid to heal you, you were not affected by anything but faerie fire and sigil, I was not damaging you at all... God be thanked that you just ran away

DaevrynSun 26-Oct-08 12:38 AM
Member since 13th Feb 2007
11117 posts
Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author Click to view this author's profile Click to add this author to your buddy list
#73533, "RE: What are you talking about?"
In response to Reply #24

>That's really funny, because at least half of this is just
>impossible, nor I have idea what you are talking about.

I can back Ahtieli on this one, for what it's worth.

Sometimes the toughness of the lich beats you... and sometimes your fear of what the lich might be able to do (but actually can't) beats you.

Camridarinil (Guest)Sun 26-Oct-08 12:56 AM

#73537, "I'm not trying to pull anything here."
In response to Reply #24

As you jog my memory, I remember killing pets while you are in a snare I vaguely remember. You had only three or so zombies with you maybe?

I don't have the log, but I remember trying to observe you from a distance, and it failed, which I took to mean you had a ranger phylactery. I think I managed to kill all but one of your pets before I thought the snare would expire, or did it even expire first? I don't remember that, either.

I had no idea you were lost, I didn't think I was in a position to kill you, and I anticipated a setup. I was apparently wrong.

Goganop (Guest)Thu 23-Oct-08 10:24 AM

#73454, "I am gonna miss playing the who is this someone game"
In response to Reply #0

I enjoyed our interactions and there was a healthy tension between us. It was kind of crazy that everytime i got called to help dwarves I would walk into a snare!

I hope you enjoyed the char and I would say roll a fortie... but roll an evil!

Nybbas (Guest)Thu 23-Oct-08 09:59 AM

#73453, "RE: Dead"
In response to Reply #0

I could kinda tell you had lost interest in the character. That being said I enjoyed our interactions and you forced me to look deeper into a cabal I've never played before. Thank you! Good luck with the next char.

SaeraliThu 23-Oct-08 08:13 AM
Member since 11th Jul 2008
16 posts
Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author Click to view this author's profile Click to add this author to your buddy list
#73447, "RE: Dead"
In response to Reply #0

Always liked running around with you, the times it did happen - though I swear, you have a special gift for bringing out the idiot in me. I've no idea how many times I'd be doing something perfectly competently, but the second Camri was in zone, suddenly all turns to disaster and I'm left thinking 'I really am not that stupid...really...'! No doubt you're glad the silly bird didn't turn up more often, but thanks for being patient anyway

Not that Saer really hangs around with outlanders much - you were probably the one she knows best - but I thought you did a good job with the char, for what it's worth. GLWYN, pick something fun! And don't kill me too often. *nod self*

Bok (Guest)Thu 23-Oct-08 12:38 AM

#73434, "Way better than the other two."
In response to Reply #0

You were a little conservative, and I can understand the thought processes that caused you to fight the way you did. While you had yet to outwit me, you're far cleverer than your good and evil counterparts with nowhere near as jaded and bitter a temperament as them. Or me.

CF is blessed to have guys like you around, I wish your role was more detailed. I'm just beginning to understand this about other aligns/cabals and enjoy RP again in CF again, but shh, don't TELL ANYONE that. ;p

I hope you understand, if you can get around the lag with something other than progged gear, you'll have pegged my build's actual weakness because you can tank better than paladins. Be proud of that much too.

Bok (Guest)Thu 23-Oct-08 12:41 AM

#73435, "PS"
In response to Reply #14

There's another dude who just rolled. I talked to him for all of five minutes but he's a class act that I can see him going straight to Harbinger if the imms don't promote someone less deserving first in the next few weeks. Don't worry, I won't have any shortage of targets, formidable or otherwise.

Camridarinil (Guest)Thu 23-Oct-08 08:18 AM

#73448, "Cocky punk, heh."
In response to Reply #14

Bok - I wanted to fight you in the swamps just once, but you weren't willing. Ever. Given that I survived your brutal bearcharging in your home terrain and did very well against you on neutral ground thanks to archery, I understood your reluctance to fight me on my turf, which you even voiced when we were chatting in the Weald. You too, were conservative, little brother.

As far as hitting vulnerabilities, on neutral territory I wasn't going to stand toe to toe with you using the marshdweller's plaguing staff, and my perception was that using the light based limited bow from an explore area hit you harder than the unlimited wrath based bow. On neutral ground or your turf I wasn't going to attempt to use a wrath sword, for you would have bashed me into the ground.

I understand the anti-outlander sentiment serial-imperials play, but enemy rangers create a serious blight on a cabal that depends so heavily on wilderness. Your uncabaled status means that you can participate in group raids of your own choosing, or easily pick off vulnerable Outlanders, but you don't ever have to subject yourself to bad odds or unfavorable terrain when defending. That says something about you or your character, and so I'm going to say that I hope I get to view your next character in better circumstances.

Bok (Guest)Thu 23-Oct-08 10:37 AM

#73455, "This is intentional."
In response to Reply #18

Mountains, like forests and plains, are everywhere. You can force people to walk into them at almost anytime if you play right and have the right enemies. If you also pay attention, all aligns are forced to rank in mountains for the popular ranking spots, something that is good to take advantage of except people have been hitting hero near instantly on my watch.

Swamps aren't the same thing. Headhunters and Ysigrath are as close as you get pretty much, and you didn't check Ysigrath for whatever reason. Though to be fair, a snare at the entrance of that area wouldn't have been death either because of hunter's horrible damage output.

Letting the staff prog is what you should have been doing. I couldn't figure out why you didn't do that more because it did more damage between the debuffs and the vuln than the wrath or light weaponry.

No, you shouldn't be using swords. There's really only one character that can get away with doing that right now and actually win because of it, and I'm mulling over ways to prove him wrong, but he's as conservative as you. Dirt kick just gets you killed too often at hero these days.

Your last paragraph, I considered all of this before even rolling. Cabals aren't fun to me because they require you to basically give up your life in certain situations, for powers that just aren't worth it in the long run unless you're exploiting them in synergy with other things, and that synergy tends to be tenuous and fragile. I play the game to have fun, not add on yet another time intensive chore or deal with people taunting me when I won't come out of the cabal (notice I don't do this), and people don't tend to give two ####s about their outer's life at all ICly unless it's holding a cabal item anyway. I give up the ability to (easily) call in backup when knocked out and have far fewer (but as a result usually more competent) allies. That's pretty much it. I don't usually call those allies if I have something to prove, or don't think I need them and I still don't really think I needed allies against you in normal circumstances. What happened in that raid was mostly because I thought Grylinnis would come running.

I have to give Namanrin some credit, some of the foes I have my hands full with if he were in my shoes he'd tear to shreds, and have died when the alternate methods I found to deal with it simply didn't work. In contrast, there are others that I can trounce easily that he'd have problems with, and I wasn't about to give up the ability to wear metal when knowledge about exactly how much you can get away with is still up in the air. I wanted to fight him but it looks to me like he had too much going on IRL.

It's pretty much my first ranger, ever, but I bring some other tidbits to the table from playing bards and such. I would *like* to be doing things other than bearcharge but the simple fact of the matter is that I can be dead or fleeing in the space of two rounds if I don't because my uncoverable vulns make for popular high average weaponry at hero. Dirt/disarm just takes too much time, and even most ambush types will get me killed or let my opponent escape because of the two round lag alone.

I would have sat at 35 a little longer (which would have changed my ally set eventually) but there just flat isn't anyone there these days.

Aunkdunell (Guest)Wed 22-Oct-08 07:36 PM

#73421, "Mhm hmm."
In response to Reply #0

What can I say? Given my nature, I've only but recently
began to work with you. The few times though that we did
do things together, I enjoyed that we never grouped, or
even really talked too much about tactics, but just kind
of tried to feel off the other.

I really liked walking the Neutral/Evil line with you,
and I think you did just fine as a Harbinger. You had
the right attitude, and feel, and glad you got a chance
to play it out. Thanks for tossing me a few bones here
and there.

Now roll another outlander! maybe a Fire Giant chill/trapp axe-polearm! Now That, would be a blast. Burn burn burn!

Camridarinil (Guest)Wed 22-Oct-08 09:00 PM

#73428, "Evil dude."
In response to Reply #9

There is a practical aspect to not grouping when you are playing an Outlander many people just can't seem to get. Invariably the leader of the group is going to move right when you wanted to hide, or you want to be hiding and some moron is going to advertise your presence by stepping out. There is also a philosophical distinction that Outlander makes from the other cabals in that it really encourages individualism, not group and gank. Give those young Outties hell in my absence.

I will play more outlanders in the future because I like the vibe of the cabal, and I can only drool at what stacked ignite would do for that imaginary fire giant image you painted.

Zizzle (Guest)Wed 22-Oct-08 05:56 PM

#73410, "RE: Dead"
In response to Reply #0

You had balls defending last night, and I respect the hell out of you for it.

On the other hand, boy do I ever hate that instadeafen skill. Luckily for me I suspected that the call of instadeafen would be too much to resist and had a wand at the ready! I wish we got to mix it up a bit more, but the only other time I ever saw you was in Whistlewood for a split second...then never again until last night.

Good luck with the next.

Camridarinil (Guest)Wed 22-Oct-08 08:38 PM

#73424, "Don't ever complain about instant deafen."
In response to Reply #8

Deafen lasts until the tick.

Faerie fire, soften, slow, and all those other nasty tricks that make a melee character worthless for 12+ and make a transmuter a melee nightmare, despite the fact I had pretty solid saving throws at all times. Transmuters are magical assassins, and you are a good one.

As for the defense, I almost pulled it off but I thought Bok put the snare below the huntress, not at the huntress. Oh well. I played Camridarinil conservatively 500 hours, and only attacked in situations where I knew I was going to get the kill or make them flee, and the last five hours I decided to take a few more risks because I find that conservative playstyle boring as hell.

Zizzle (Guest)Wed 22-Oct-08 08:53 PM

#73427, "It's actually a 1 tick deafen."
In response to Reply #11

I thought I could save by wearing a full helm, but nope!

The mosquitos almost got me btw. Nasty.

Bok (Guest)Thu 23-Oct-08 12:43 AM

#73436, "Switch that. Snare at huntress, not below."
In response to Reply #11

I still don't understand what you were trying to do, below or at you were pretty thoroughly screwed, unless you can't recall/teleport in the cabal.

Don't tell me by the way, I'll figure it out on my own. Trust me.

Namanrin (Guest)Wed 22-Oct-08 04:41 PM

#73409, "har!"
In response to Reply #0

Doing something else Im doing eh??? I just del'd Sunday.. waiting for the death angel to post it... so for you... What can I say? Id call you Nam's best friend... was very nice having someone else competent to be able to run around with. Very well RP'ed.

Anway .. have played quite a few outlanders now and I definately had the most fun with Cam around by far... good luck with your next... try a cloud savage one day.. they hit like a truck

Zandorix

Camridarinil (Guest)Wed 22-Oct-08 08:24 PM

#73423, "You left big shoes to fill."
In response to Reply #7

You are a giant, after all. I loved your manner of speaking and your presence. Camridarinil was just some sort of brooding shadow to the big guy, a shadow that could see those damned vultures flying overhead and could do something about it when aerial shot wasn't buggy.

I often felt I should be charging in and retrieving like Namanrin, as I believe in leading from the front, but I realized how fragile a wood elf ranger can be once I set foot in the Spire. Look for me playing some sort of dwarven outlander with a kinslayer title in the future. There's a dwarf on the totem, so it could happen.

Harlidbiggle (Guest)Wed 22-Oct-08 03:43 PM

#73404, "I'll miss you."
In response to Reply #0

I liked how we worked together when we were able and I had hoped to do more of that. I hope whatever you do next is fun for you.

Camridarinil (Guest)Wed 22-Oct-08 04:11 PM

#73407, "I will grudgingly miss working with you."
In response to Reply #4

Most gnome mages leave a bland taste in my mouth, but it was nice having one on my side. You are breaking a very important rule, though. You seem to take way more risks than those you fight against. Live long and prosper.

Zefta (Guest)Wed 22-Oct-08 03:29 PM

#73403, "Man! You always had a way of catching me in my bad mome..."
In response to Reply #0

First that time in Veran... I ran straight into a snare, wasn't to worried as I knew I'd tank well enough to get out. What I didn't count on was the snare timer running out, so that another snare was waiting for me when I fled. 50% chance of fleeing to freedom, 50% fleeing into another snare... 2 UNSPEAKS ambushes is more than Zefta can take... Hehe

That other time I almost rage-deleted... Had been fighting that mob for eons, was badly hurt and about to retreat for some rest. Smack! Ambush-> dead hehe

Not your fault though. I should have known it would happen eventually as I saw you had logged on.

Didn't get to interact much with you, but you seemed like a decent guy.

Camridarinil (Guest)Wed 22-Oct-08 04:06 PM

#73406, "I was lucky"
In response to Reply #3

I've never had a double snare instance, so I made it a point to put in my highlight logs.

Ambush was my bread and butter because a hunter doesn't have any means to keep an enemy in combat outside their home terrain. Maybe 'aimed shot torso' is supposed to lag, but as far as I could tell it didn't, and it surely couldn't do it reliably.

After our brief conversation at the guild, I felt empathy for your situation. Keep plugging away, and you will have created something worthwhile even if it isn't powergamey.

Tlingit (Guest)Wed 22-Oct-08 03:10 PM

#73400, "RE: Dead"
In response to Reply #0

You were a solid enemy and I definatly cant say anything bad about you, we didnt interact a whole hell of a lot though or fight a terribly high amount for the amount of time we were on togethers, seemed to be a solid char though. Good luck with your next. I wonder how many lowbies lost a few con over the gauntlet. I'd be interested to know what the rest of the process was after the part I realized was going on.

Camridarinil (Guest)Wed 22-Oct-08 03:26 PM

#73402, "RE: Dead"
In response to Reply #1

Tlingit - I have grown to hate gnomes, but I thought you seemed to be a decent person behind the character, and there was a character that shined through during our limited interactions. Given the power of your forms I was surprised that you play as conservatively as you do, but from my limited viewpoint you seem like a good Provost.

Top General Discussions The Battlefield Topic #73394 Previous topic | Next topic