Subject: "(AUTO) [FORTRESS] Fenuidhol the Caller of the Pack" Previous topic | Next topic
Printer-friendly copy Email this topic to a friend CF Website
Top General Discussions The Battlefield Topic #72925
Show all folders

Death_AngelSun 05-Oct-08 09:12 AM
Member since 01st Oct 2024
17200 posts
Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author Click to view this author's profile Click to add this author to your buddy list
#72925, "(AUTO) [FORTRESS] Fenuidhol the Caller of the Pack"

Sun Oct 5 09:08:52 2008

At 1 o'clock PM, Day of the Moon, 7th of the Month of Winter
on the Theran calendar Fenuidhol perished, never to return.

Race:arial
Class:ranger
Level:42
Alignment:Good
Ethos:Chaotic
Cabal:FORTRESS, the Fortress of Light
Hours:76

Alert | IP Printer Friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Reply Heh., Odrirg, 05-Oct-08 03:06 PM, #1
     Reply And some advice for future rangers., Odrirg, 06-Oct-08 07:00 AM, #2
          Reply RE: And some advice for future rangers., Daevryn, 06-Oct-08 07:50 AM, #3
          Reply Probably my overly anal imagination., Odrirg, 06-Oct-08 08:58 AM, #5
               Reply RE: Probably my overly anal imagination., Daevryn, 06-Oct-08 09:52 AM, #6
                    Reply heh., Odrirg, 06-Oct-08 01:34 PM, #7
          Reply I used to play a lot of rangers..., Twist, 06-Oct-08 08:24 AM, #4

OdrirgSun 05-Oct-08 03:06 PM
Member since 16th Oct 2004
431 posts
Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author Click to view this author's profile Click to add this author to your buddy list
#72928, "Heh."
In response to Reply #0

three chars in a row to get to 40 or into the 40's and just auto.

a tribby. cause I spent like 4 weeks in seantryn, solo retrieving and such. No provost lovin.

galan the rager, cause I just lost interest.

then Fenuidhol, no offense to the fort, but it got boring...heh.

OdrirgMon 06-Oct-08 07:00 AM
431 posts
#72938, "And some advice for future rangers."
In response to Reply #1

I've played alot of rangers. most into mid 30's, a few into 40's.

I've never, once, not had fast camo by lvl 4. And never once lost it.

Even when I played cf's first tribunal ranger, I never lost fast camo.

This time, I chose to do the newbie gofer quest. And I think I got olgakar's list gofer quest.

And there was another quest I did at newbie ranks that kept me out of wilderness for about an hour real time.

*DON'T DO THEM!* Heh. Sitting for 5-6-7 hours in the wilderness to get fast camo back, just so you have a CHANCE at tanking dark stalkers, let alone anything harder, sucks.

None of those quests have rewards worth losing fast camo.

DaevrynMon 06-Oct-08 07:50 AM
Member since 13th Feb 2007
11117 posts
#72939, "RE: And some advice for future rangers."
In response to Reply #2

>*DON'T DO THEM!* Heh. Sitting for 5-6-7 hours in the
>wilderness to get fast camo back, just so you have a CHANCE at
>tanking dark stalkers, let alone anything harder, sucks.

I'll bite. What does any of that have to do with tanking dark stalkers?

OdrirgMon 06-Oct-08 08:58 AM
431 posts
#72941, "Probably my overly anal imagination."
In response to Reply #3

I always assumed wilderness time effected things like dodge and parry.

Though, it's possible that I was just carrying too much, and or seeing what I expected, not what really happened.

but it seemed to me, that I tanked like a gimped fire giant until my fast camo came back.

at the least, taking my other assumptions about wilderness time as false, the lag on camo, having NEVER had to deal with it with any of my former rangers (I usually play them like twist explained below), was beyond what I considered playable. I just couldn't take it until I got rid of that camo lag.

There's a few "rings" newbie quests. one that can cause massive amounts of city time. there's a couple "gofer" quests. there's a weapon quest that can cause you (if you do it at the wrong time) to get locked with no access to wilderness for 12 minutes.

All of these are really fun. And very useful. Love the rewards, love the xp. love the rp. love the stories. my point was....in my opinion, it was better to take a couple extra tens of minutes killing mobs in wilderness as a ranger in the first 10 ranks, thus never having to deal with the lag with camo, and the resultant long wait to get fastcamo back.

DaevrynMon 06-Oct-08 09:52 AM
Member since 13th Feb 2007
11117 posts
#72943, "RE: Probably my overly anal imagination."
In response to Reply #5

>I always assumed wilderness time effected things like dodge
>and parry.

It doesn't have any effect, until wilderness familiarity comes in at 35 -- at which point a ranger with terrible wilderness time won't get much use out of it, but, a ranger that is anywhere near fastcamo is probably identical to one who has it.

OdrirgMon 06-Oct-08 01:34 PM
431 posts
#72947, "heh."
In response to Reply #6

Not the first time I've over-estimated the complexity of something in cf. Won't be the last.

I'm sure many of you imms would find my working theories on things like assassinate and the elixir funny. But hey, it works for me.

Thank you so much for clarifying. you rock.

(for me though, anyway, the lag on camo is enough of a punishment for me to advise to stay away from all those quests, even without all the other things I thought lack of fastcamo caused)

TwistMon 06-Oct-08 08:24 AM
Member since 23rd Sep 2006
3431 posts
#72940, "I used to play a lot of rangers..."
In response to Reply #2

...and I'll agree with the general feel of this statement, if not the actual facts.

I won't ask wth you mean about dark stalkers since Daevryn already did.

But I will say that I play a ranger as if any road/town room is burning my feet. I try to NEVER spend a tick in a town, or on a road. Ever.

So for doing the particular quest you refer to, that involves going to a lot of cities, what I would likely do is get to (for example) the outskirts of Seantryn - still in the wilds. Then I would rest until the tick, then run LAMMF to the guy I have to see, do the thing, then recall and run LAMMF for the forest near my hometown.

Will I get out without a tick in civilization? Depends on the tick-timer at that moment. Probably not. But I won't get hit with two or three ticks.

YMMV, but I think you can still do the various newbie quests. Also, remember that just because you're walking from Galadon to Hamsah (again, for example), doesn't mean you have to spend 4 ticks on road-based rooms. Plenty of spots to duck off the road and rest for a tick in a forest/wooded area.

My last ranger was quite a while ago (pre-revamp, even) so things are likely a little different now, but the general principles remain the same.

Oh and that ranger avoided cities/roads so much that Qing wouldn't induct me into Outlander because I'd never been wanted. I'm like dude. Ranger. I don't PK in cities. I don't go into cities because I want no civilization percentage. Try explaining that IC.

In the end I said fine - went into Galadon, murdered some duergar, ended up fleeing, but got my wanted flag. Oy.

Top General Discussions The Battlefield Topic #72925 Previous topic | Next topic