Subject: "(AGE DEATH) [OUTLANDER] Xinrithil the Courageous and Bl..." Previous topic | Next topic
Printer-friendly copy Email this topic to a friend CF Website
Top General Discussions The Battlefield Topic #61667
Show all folders

Death_AngelSat 22-Sep-07 08:34 AM
Member since 19th May 2024
16858 posts
Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author Click to view this author's profile Click to add this author to your buddy list
#61667, "(AGE DEATH) [OUTLANDER] Xinrithil the Courageous and Bloodied Claw of Baerinika, Sunwarden of Thar-Eris"

Sat Sep 15 17:42:48 2007

At 5 o'clock AM, Day of the Sun, 27th of the Month of the Winter Wolf
on the Theran calendar Xinrithil perished, never to return.

Race:elf
Class:warrior
Level:51
Alignment:Good
Ethos:Chaotic
Cabal:OUTLANDER, the Outlanders of Thar-Eris
Hours:834

Alert | IP Printer Friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Reply Soddin Tree Hugger, Ysaloerye, 20-Sep-07 11:47 AM, #58
Reply RE: (AGE DEATH) [OUTLANDER] Xinrithil the Courageous an..., Its Bink (Guest), 20-Sep-07 10:51 AM, #56
Reply RE: (AGE DEATH) [OUTLANDER] Xinrithil the Courageous an..., Xin (Guest), 20-Sep-07 11:46 AM, #57
Reply RE: (AGE DEATH) [OUTLANDER] Xinrithil the Courageous an..., Zesam, 19-Sep-07 01:27 AM, #52
Reply One of my Faves, Baerinika, 17-Sep-07 05:47 PM, #39
Reply RE: One of my Faves, Xin (Guest), 17-Sep-07 06:41 PM, #40
Reply Finally finding time to post..., Twist, 17-Sep-07 03:39 PM, #37
Reply RE: Finally finding time to post..., Xin (Guest), 17-Sep-07 05:07 PM, #38
     Reply I'm not ashamed to admit, Linaeren (Guest), 19-Sep-07 02:26 AM, #53
          Reply RE: I'm not ashamed to admit, _Quixotic (Guest), 10-Oct-07 04:01 PM, #62
               Reply Salvator, Twist, 10-Oct-07 04:54 PM, #63
Reply RE: (AGE DEATH) [OUTLANDER] Xinrithil the Courageous an..., Daevryn, 16-Sep-07 11:53 AM, #13
Reply RE: (AGE DEATH) [OUTLANDER] Xinrithil the Courageous an..., Xin (Guest), 16-Sep-07 07:08 PM, #24
Reply Overview, Xinrithil (Guest), 15-Sep-07 10:39 PM, #3
Reply Outlander goodbyes, Xin (Guest), 15-Sep-07 10:53 PM, #4
Reply Great char!, Throkk (Guest), 17-Sep-07 02:20 AM, #28
Reply RE: Great char!, Xin (Guest), 17-Sep-07 12:30 PM, #34
Reply RE: Outlander goodbyes, Linaeren (Guest), 17-Sep-07 10:10 AM, #32
Reply Dumb, Smug Elf, Djrra (Guest), 17-Sep-07 12:33 PM, #35
     Reply RE: Dumb, Smug Elf, Xin (Guest), 17-Sep-07 02:21 PM, #36
          Reply Must be an imm!, Rayihn, 17-Sep-07 05:36 PM, #60
Reply RE: Overview, Linaeren (Guest), 15-Sep-07 10:53 PM, #5
Reply Execellent character, Siloreelo (Guest), 15-Sep-07 11:17 PM, #6
Reply Awesome job., Lyristeon, 16-Sep-07 05:48 AM, #7
Reply RE: Awesome job., Xin (Guest), 16-Sep-07 05:37 PM, #19
     Reply RE: Awesome job., Lyristeon, 16-Sep-07 06:21 PM, #22
          Reply I know they are. But I have to blame someone, and Lina..., Xin (Guest), 16-Sep-07 06:56 PM, #23
               Reply Don't forget, I did time travel once to create the orc ..., Linaeren (Guest), 17-Sep-07 11:55 PM, #46
                    Reply RE: Don't forget, I did time travel once to create the ..., Lyristeon, 18-Sep-07 12:44 AM, #47
                    Reply I knew it! Confession is nine-tenths of the law! ~, Xin (Guest), 18-Sep-07 06:18 AM, #48
Reply You'll be missed., Folsa (Guest), 16-Sep-07 09:05 AM, #8
Reply RE: You'll be missed., Xin (Guest), 16-Sep-07 05:11 PM, #18
Reply Enemy goodbyes, Xin (Guest), 16-Sep-07 09:20 AM, #9
Reply Empire:, Xin (Guest), 16-Sep-07 09:23 AM, #10
Reply I'm sorry, Abby (Guest), 16-Sep-07 09:49 AM, #11
Reply RE: I'm sorry, Daevryn, 16-Sep-07 11:52 AM, #12
     Reply Just say them?, Abby (Guest), 16-Sep-07 12:44 PM, #15
          Reply RE: Just say them?, Lyristeon, 16-Sep-07 02:40 PM, #16
          Reply Not everyone is a Shamanman, Thuul (Guest), 17-Sep-07 01:01 AM, #27
Reply RE: Empire:, Isildur, 16-Sep-07 12:13 PM, #14
Reply RE: Empire:, Ktaar (Guest), 21-Sep-07 10:50 PM, #59
Reply Tribunal goodbyes, Xin (Guest), 16-Sep-07 03:05 PM, #17
Reply RE: Tribunal goodbyes, Pissudin (Guest), 16-Sep-07 05:59 PM, #20
Reply NOTE: I never called you Pissy., Lyristeon, 16-Sep-07 06:19 PM, #21
Reply I love this character through and through., Tallanalas (Guest), 17-Sep-07 12:50 AM, #25
Reply RE: I love this character through and through., Xin (Guest), 17-Sep-07 07:29 PM, #44
     Reply Didn't make Thuul to fight you., Pro (Guest), 18-Sep-07 12:53 PM, #49
Reply RE: Tribunal goodbyes, Maethron (Guest), 17-Sep-07 07:04 AM, #30
     Reply RE: Tribunal goodbyes, Maethron (Guest), 17-Sep-07 07:08 AM, #31
Reply You were just class. n/t, Thuul (Guest), 17-Sep-07 12:54 AM, #26
Reply Scions, “might-as-well-be Scions” and the Bink., Xin (Guest), 17-Sep-07 10:09 PM, #45
Reply Thanks for the fight that one time, Lechlerr (Guest), 17-Sep-07 05:01 AM, #29
Reply Fabulous Character, Kastellyn, 17-Sep-07 10:39 AM, #33
Reply RE: Fabulous Character, Xin (Guest), 17-Sep-07 07:07 PM, #42
Reply Having stxt, Rawanj (Guest), 17-Sep-07 06:58 PM, #41
Reply RE: Having stxt, Xin (Guest), 17-Sep-07 07:13 PM, #43
Reply Non-enemy goodbyes, Xin (Guest), 18-Sep-07 09:04 PM, #50
Reply Two more friendlies, Xin (Guest), 18-Sep-07 09:15 PM, #51
Reply Finally gone eh!, Rolinyah (Guest), 19-Sep-07 05:57 AM, #54
Reply Commentary on build and code changes during my life, Xin (Guest), 19-Sep-07 10:05 PM, #55
Reply RE: (AGE DEATH) [OUTLANDER] Xinrithil the Courageous an..., Kalageadon, 15-Sep-07 09:04 PM, #2
Reply RE: (AGE DEATH) [OUTLANDER] Xinrithil the Courageous an..., Rezmar (Guest), 24-Sep-07 03:51 PM, #61
Reply The echo you didn't see., Lyristeon, 15-Sep-07 05:45 PM, #1

YsaloeryeThu 20-Sep-07 11:47 AM
Member since 09th Apr 2006
315 posts
Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author Click to view this author's profile Click to add this author to your buddy list
#61794, "Soddin Tree Hugger"
In response to Reply #0

Believe me at times I make myself snort milk out of my nose with some of the things Ysal says.
Xin was a stellar char, I loved your role and always enjoyed watching you when I had a chance.

Its Bink (Guest)Thu 20-Sep-07 10:51 AM

#61792, "RE: (AGE DEATH) [OUTLANDER] Xinrithil the Courageous an..."
In response to Reply #0

Damn, now I feel a pity for not seeing a side of your char that everyone is complimenting. For us it was the first interaction that left the lasting impression. Light and Chaos dominating, me trying to sleep you and you and Linny running all over Thera chasin me down on a full moon (god alone knows how I survived). Ever since it was always attack on sight, no matter what. But I tried to be ballsy at times and a coward at others. I guess from a little talk we had in the end I wish I could have tried speakin to you more (though IC I'd make little sense to you). AND YOU TOOK MY BLOODY MACE AND AGE DIED! GOSHDARNIT!

Bink.

Xin (Guest)Thu 20-Sep-07 11:46 AM

#61793, "RE: (AGE DEATH) [OUTLANDER] Xinrithil the Courageous an..."
In response to Reply #56

Ha! One of the blessings and curses in this game is that only the immortal staff has a prayer of seeing the whole picture.

If a Nexan didn't inform me where the balance lay before attacking, I viewed them thereafter as homicidal opportunists who could be trusted even less than the evil half of the Tree because they did not share any of the same goals. Vhaile and I fought, but because he disadvantaged himself by informing me where the balance lay, I didn't even destroy his coins, may the Ancients forgive me.

Yours was a fun character. I look forward to reading your role someday.

ZesamWed 19-Sep-07 01:27 AM
Member since 04th Jun 2007
48 posts
#61747, "RE: (AGE DEATH) [OUTLANDER] Xinrithil the Courageous an..."
In response to Reply #0

I enjoyed all of our little run ins, especially just chilling out with you in the pine forest. Wonderful character, and I'm glad you played it out all the way.

BaerinikaMon 17-Sep-07 05:47 PM
Member since 23rd Jan 2007
338 posts
#61718, "One of my Faves"
In response to Reply #0

I enjoyed Xin all around. Wish we would have had more time to sit and RP, though like you said our times didn't mesh well after the wedding. I kind of ran out of cool rewards to give you so I hope the echoes here and there were fun. I had levelled some with you with a mortal I was playing, so I knew you were sort of newbish, and then when we sat down for the first RP session I was a little taken aback - elf cutter? Took me a minute to think...hm, what would Baer do with an elf cutter. The double handi-cap role had me boggled, but I admired the way you played it.

Hope to see you around my (either) shrine again.

Good luck!

Baer

PS How'd you like the tattoo? I did warn you it would get you killed. And so it did!

There will be no white flag above my door. - Dido

Stones taught me to fly
Love taught me to cry
So come on courage
Teach me to be shy
Cause it's not hard to fall - Damien Rice

What doesn't kill you makes a fighter, footsteps even lighter - Kelly Clarkso

Xin (Guest)Mon 17-Sep-07 06:41 PM

#61719, "RE: One of my Faves"
In response to Reply #39

> I kind of ran out of cool rewards to give
>you so I hope the echoes here and there were fun.
>
I had far more rewards than I could have hoped for; the moments that really made it for me were little things like Lyr popping out of the woodwork to congratulate or mock me, Twist threatening to bash me because I felt the need to bathe after talking to him, the purr echoes, and hearing things I had said over cabaltalk come out of my mouth again a few days later as tattoo-progs. Those progs might have been pure coincidence, but it made me feel like I was part of Carrion Fields and not merely "a walking shadow/a poor player who struts and frets his hour upon the stage/and is heard no more."

>I had levelled some with you with a mortal I was playing, so I knew
>you were sort of newbish,
>
There were times when I played dumb when interacting with mortals whom I didn't know well because I thought they might be an alt, a spy, or someone who might prove to be an enemy me later. I lied often with this character, but I won't deny over the last few years I have spent far more time roleplaying and regearing than exploring areas, cataloging gear, and putting notches in my belt.

>and then when we sat down for the
>first RP session I was a little taken aback - elf cutter?
>Took me a minute to think...hm, what would Baer do with an elf
>cutter. The double handi-cap role had me boggled, but I
>admired the way you played it.
>
At the time of creation I was struggling for a character who might still be considered good/Light but be enough of an abomination to feel driven from his previous way of life toward a life opposed to the use of magic. Before Baer forbade him from cutting himself, I did have some fun watching other characters struggle with this elf who had serious issues.

>PS How'd you like the tattoo? I did warn you it would get you
>killed. And so it did!
>
It was a great tattoo for Xin; the risks fit Xin's self-mutilatory behavior and the chaos theme so strongly associated with Outlander. That alone might be enough for one of the Sunny branch to look to you, but the location of your temple and your jaguars make the mesh almost perfect, and your roleplay in our moments together were superb.

TwistMon 17-Sep-07 03:39 PM
Member since 23rd Sep 2006
3431 posts
#61712, "Finally finding time to post..."
In response to Reply #0

You can probably guess, I had a tremendous amount of respect for you. Even before you returned everything (well, everything Rolinyah didn't take and sac) when you two got me.

To echo Isildur/Waserax, we really did often go out of our way to avoid killing you (as much as RP allowed) once you'd been ganged by us a couple of times. I would still try to fight you one v. one because you stood more than a fair chance when it was just us two (I know it didn't seem that way to you, but keep in mind my health was always lower than you saw it).

I remember at one point being inadvertantly brought into a conversation (as Twist) about what additional legacy to give you for being such a cool char despite typically bad odds. Lyristeon kept wanting to give you Harmonious because you always got bashed by Hunsobo (he didn't know it was me, of course). I was all for giving you a legacy, but tried to steer (not too loudly) toward something else that fit your role better (the better save vs. spell one, for instance). Not because I wanted to be able to beat you better as Hunsobo, but because as I understand it, Greeting trumps Harmonious. So if the only reason for it was for Hunsobo, you'd get no use out of it! In the end you got Harmonious, but by that time you and I had sort of a mutual admiration society thing going on anyways, and we actually only fought one or two other times (and I rarely bashed during those fights for one reason or another).

As Twist, I would watch you here and there and loved your role. And since I sorta felt sorry for you for all of the H-bashdowns and such, and me being ye olde god o' magic...well, it gave me the perfect "in" to help you change your role up a bit to make things a bit more favorable for ya.

I'm glad you went with it the way you did - characters who have semi-dramatic life-changing events can be, as you put it, much more interesting to play. And it wasn't like you were a BattleRager betraying the village by suddenly realizing that magic was ok.

All in all, a great character. We imms kept marveling at how much CON you burned through - how many gain converts did you shove into CON anyways?

Oh and I'm curious like some others below: Who else have you played? Or would you rather not say? I'm cool with that too.

Xin (Guest)Mon 17-Sep-07 05:07 PM

#61715, "RE: Finally finding time to post..."
In response to Reply #37

>You can probably guess, I had a tremendous amount of respect
>for you. Even before you returned everything (well, everything
>Rolinyah didn't take and sac) when you two got me.

I did keep a wide copper as a souvenir, but I wanted to cry when I gave you back the gauntlets, the glass eye bracelet, and the displacer cloak. As many times as you stood over my gear and denied the flock of young imperial vultures my crap gear I couldn't bring myself to keep or destroy what I wouldn't wear, even though that would mean many more deaths to you.

>To echo Isildur/Waserax, we really did often go out of our way
>to avoid killing you (as much as RP allowed) once you'd been
>ganged by us a couple of times. I would still try to fight you
>one v. one because you stood more than a fair chance when it
>was just us two (I know it didn't seem that way to you, but
>keep in mind my health was always lower than you saw it).

Getting Baer's tat compelled me to at least try to put up a defense though I knew how it would end up. After your one (1) death I knew you had some sort of edge that masked your health because you went from gushing to dead without taking much for damage, but it was annoyingly difficult to get you below small wounds before I was writhing. Those ****DEMOLISHES**** you dealt with you gauntlets trumped anything I could dish out with my leader weapon or hands, and your imperial tactics meant that any other weapon I tried to wield was lying on the ground. Not until Twist came into my life and twisted my role around could I hold a dagger that circumvented your giant resist.

>I remember at one point being inadvertantly brought into a
>conversation (as Twist) about what additional legacy to give
>you for being such a cool char despite typically bad odds.
>Lyristeon kept wanting to give you Harmonious because you
>always got bashed by Hunsobo (he didn't know it was me, of
>course). I was all for giving you a legacy, but tried to steer
> not too loudly) toward something else that fit your role
>better (the better save vs. spell one, for instance). Not
>because I wanted to be able to beat you better as Hunsobo, but
>because as I understand it, Greeting trumps Harmonious. So if
>the only reason for it was for Hunsobo, you'd get no use out
>of it! In the end you got Harmonious, but by that time you and
>I had sort of a mutual admiration society thing going on
>anyways, and we actually only fought one or two other times
> and I rarely bashed during those fights for one reason or
>another).

Eventually I started experimenting with hurling to your forearms and shoulders, which seemed to improve combat from my side until you became emperor. You can imagine my reaction: "Oh goodie, now that I can finally start prepping decently against him, he can slap a sigil on me." Harmonious did help, however, for if I could lead with a hurl shoulder you weren't normally able to permalag me.

>As Twist, I would watch you here and there and loved your
>role. And since I sorta felt sorry for you for all of the
>H-bashdowns and such, and me being ye olde god o'
>magic...well, it gave me the perfect "in" to help you change
>your role up a bit to make things a bit more favorable for ya.
>
>I'm glad you went with it the way you did - characters who
>have semi-dramatic life-changing events can be, as you put it,
>much more interesting to play. And it wasn't like you were a
>BattleRager betraying the village by suddenly realizing that
>magic was ok.

I must also state that in my initial talks with Baerinika she came across as pro-magic, and after my interaction with you in the Jade Mountains I did go pray in her shrine. She didn't answer, but I started looking at the extra desriptions and radiance and brilliant light in them. This wouldn't be that big a deal, but the Diamond dagger of Radiance was sitting in the hollow and the helm of brilliance was in for once. That was a sign!

>All in all, a great character. We imms kept marveling at how
>much CON you burned through - how many gain converts did you
>shove into CON anyways?

I was made leader with 13 con having 36 practices and two trains, and I was given 3 con after all my suicides trying to leave the external vicinity of the Silent Tower. I trained strength once, maybe dex once, and the rest went into con when I decided I wanted to try to age death an elf leader just to say I had done it.

There were a few reasons I was the Bloodied Claw of Baerinika, and most of it was my own blood. Ha!

Linaeren (Guest)Wed 19-Sep-07 02:26 AM

#61749, "I'm not ashamed to admit"
In response to Reply #38

Every time someone asks you who you've played and you ignore it, it makes me want to know that much more. I'm so childish. There's a reason I didn't ask when you didn't post a list to begin with! Stop asking people! I can't ####ing take any more!

_Quixotic (Guest)Wed 10-Oct-07 04:01 PM

#62563, "RE: I'm not ashamed to admit"
In response to Reply #53

>Every time someone asks you who you've played and you ignore
>it, it makes me want to know that much more. I'm so childish.
> There's a reason I didn't ask when you didn't post a list to
>begin with! Stop asking people! I can't ####ing take any
>more!

My previous hero characters were Fadderth, my experiment in dwarven Greeting/polearm specs who to my amazement survived long enough for the new age to come into being, Salvator, a character with a bad name but the good fortune to be the first dwarf to earn a tattoo from Innis, two unremarkable outlander warriors and a pathetic Fortress paladin.

TwistWed 10-Oct-07 04:54 PM
Member since 23rd Sep 2006
3431 posts
#62568, "Salvator"
In response to Reply #62

Loved that char when I played Meagara.

DaevrynSun 16-Sep-07 11:53 AM
Member since 13th Feb 2007
11117 posts
#61681, "RE: (AGE DEATH) [OUTLANDER] Xinrithil the Courageous an..."
In response to Reply #0

I ran into this character a number of times as both ally and enemy, and he was always consistently well played and an all around class act. Good job; I hope your next is as good!

Xin (Guest)Sun 16-Sep-07 07:08 PM

#61695, "RE: (AGE DEATH) [OUTLANDER] Xinrithil the Courageous an..."
In response to Reply #13

Thanks for the compliment. I could speculate the characters, but you are allowed to have your fun too. Speaking of fun, I enjoyed my exploration of the Silent Tower in a new way this time around. The multiple perspectives it accommodates provide beautiful nuances to the story surrounding the area, and giving me this chance to mention it allows me to make Lin jealous one more time.

Ha!

Xinrithil (Guest)Sat 15-Sep-07 10:39 PM

#61670, "Overview"
In response to Reply #0

This character started out as an experiment. I had looked at logs of Delakan, Guy*’s drow dagger defender, and I was curious if a high elf could do as well with this Striking Legacy I’d heard so much about. I wasn’t expecting much out of the hit, damage, and defensive bonuses it gives, but I was hoping it would act to help prevent people from getting away, as dodge-oriented races aren’t known for creating permalag. So I created a role suitable for a young village applicant, and I sought out villagers to rank with and learn about the Battleragers. Using the cliché of magic being tainted, I adopted the Purity sphere and created an OCD self-mutilator named Xinrithil, an elf filled with self-loathing. To make my life more difficult, I refused to wear shadowy gear or use coins, as anyone who has worked with money knows how contaminated bills become. Everything looked good until I could no longer find anyone in the Village to teach Xin how to act like a villager, and I was not going to approach the leadership without having a feel of how they were currently interviewing. But I met Halistanis in Arkham, and he seemed decent, so I thought I would give Outlander cabal a try.

So for 570 hours I played Xin with a masochistic role that forbade him to use or consume anything that Tahren would not give back to him. It was not purely a villager-without- the-head role, as there are many things out there that don’t have a magic flag, but with the Empire so strong under Kharghurln and Hunsobo, and consequently their allies, Xin’s life was pure, unadulterated pain. More times than I care to count the Spirit was raided by joint Tribunal-Empire-orc forces or Tribunal-Scion-orc forces, sometimes as many as six invaders with conjurers and necromancers and shawtabbies, and the lone defender without so much as a recall potion, so hearing the calls of “Fortlander” I’ve heard lately really, really don’t make me feel too sorry for pretending I was one of several transmuters who hung out in the Imperial lands waiting for the stupid Outlander to retrieve. Ambushing is a smart hunting tactic, so I don’t begrudge the transmuters who did it, but Hunsobo sure as s**t didn’t need help killing Xin’s scrawny ass.

The 800 odd hours were not without high moments though. I was given the Sunwarden job, getting those cool insects so I could actually kill those pesky healers and shamans for a change, received a tattoo that complemented my legacy’s blocking ability nicely, won a role contest, got lots of imm-love, did a bit of exploration and met some great friends and foes alike.

Immortals:
Lyristeon – I wanted to hate you as an evil Ancient, but over time I began to see the Ancients as above mortal concepts of good and evil and more like a collective intelligence. You were awesome to work with, and I will have a tough time not playing a true follower of that little blue devil in the near future. Thank you for all the interaction!

Baerinika – early in Xin’s life we had a few superb roleplay moments, and every now and then you gave me a warm tingly feeling as a jaguar purred nearby, but shortly after you returned from your wedding my times began to warp chaotically and we couldn’t hook up once for a real conversation. I felt guilty that I did not randomly attack evil outlanders in a Mujahadin style, but over time I had prioritized my targets and felt that allowing Throkk and Baierae freedom to attack Outlander enemies, who primarily are Empire and Scion, would do more good than interfering in their hunting. The jaguar motif seemed to fit nicely with Outlander, so I ran with it.

Twist/Hunsobo – I both hated and loved seeing these two characters. As Hunsobo you took my life repeatedly, and as Twist you stole his way of life. I missed talking to your giant when you age died, for I had the deepest admiration for how you treated those mown down and it influenced how I treated those I was lucky enough to defeat. I think my most memorable moment was when Twist came to talk to me about another Outlander, and after you caught me running to the river to wash away the taint your presence left upon him. “Bash Xin.”

Ysalorye – So I wake up and head to the Tree, and I have no idea whatsoever that I’d won the role contest. “I’m a little surprised to see you here,” I say to this strange dwarf invading my home. “I fargin go where I please!” you sputtered. I spilled my drink you had me laughing so hard! Thank you for that moment, and I am glad you liked my role.

I will post more goodbyes and commentary on my build as time permits, but this death caught me by surprise as I thought I had 100 hours or so of life left. Comment or question as you wish and I will try to respond directly.

Xin (Guest)Sat 15-Sep-07 10:53 PM

#61671, "Outlander goodbyes"
In response to Reply #3

Halistanis/Kubilak – I hated it when you left. You were a mentor to me, a balm in my early life that helped me keep going when things were rough. Losing you seemed to send Outlander reeling for a while. Fighting your orc chieftain was a bit of a rush, for I didn’t anticipate it turning out well for me with that horde, but my build turned out to be optimally suited for fighting you, and a little luck didn’t hurt either.

Zekaris – You were a menacing presence that kept Outlander together when it was really struggling for membership. You are a great leader.

Brollos – My corpse is down by the Voralian river. If you are lucky you can beat Throkk there, for certainly “you don’t want good meat to go to waste.” I was so shocked when you first revealed your role to me, I thought you were even more messed up than I was in my early life. Fantastic and creative, and I think you have potential to be a very important force for Outlander in the future.

Godhren – You seemed pretty new, but you had a great attitude despite getting tooled by transmuters repeatedly. I hope you are enjoying your next character as much as I enjoyed Godhren.

Jutunn & Kopak – You two were really quite strong pkers, but I didn’t get to see the strengths of your roles. The two of you were effective at bringing terror to the Tribunal when it was needed, but I heard so many complaints about the way you treated your enemies that I feared that you would try to start wars with everyone and then delete and leave us with the mess.

Neyverid (sp) - I can never spell your name! The greatest weakness of the Refuge is its recurring inability to keep support classes in its ranks as easily as in the group-oriented cabals. You are in a unique position in that you could profoundly impact the success of the cabal as a whole. Good luck!

There are many promising young Outlanders in the Refuge, and although I didn't interact much with you, I hope you will help take the cabal to new heights.

Linaeren – My age death will probably prolong your life, for I witnessed you die way so many times I could not help but wonder why you would slum around with me. I will miss your light-hearted banter, your gung-ho attitude, your love for mischief and your wise and obnoxious treant wife. Thank you for helping me keep interested in this character, for I could not have done it without you.

I leave the Tree to be tended by your good hands.

Throkk (Guest)Mon 17-Sep-07 02:20 AM

#61699, "Great char!"
In response to Reply #4

Let me begin with saying how much I admire you taking the hard road
because it felt appropriate for your character. Much respect.

I think Throkk and Xin went from animosity to tolerable professionalism or something like that.

It helped a lot that you didn't have the "Fluffy elf-syndrome" as Lyrestion put it. It also helped that you didn't preach, indeed, you let Throkk do his own thing, so I couldn't really see any reason
to stir up #### just for the sake of it.

I was dead-tired when you age-died, so I just wanted to quit out, but thank you for what appeared to be some hesistant acknowledgement

Good luck with the next, but take an easier road, man. You have earned it twice over.

Xin (Guest)Mon 17-Sep-07 12:30 PM

#61708, "RE: Great char!"
In response to Reply #28

>Let me begin with saying how much I admire you taking the
>hard road
>because it felt appropriate for your character. Much respect.

Thanks. I never intended to be on the hard road to begin with, but I tried to follow where the story took me. Plot twists and turning points are vital to a good story, and I don't think I could have played a character this long if he had not been dynamic.

>I think Throkk and Xin went from animosity to tolerable
>professionalism or something like that.
>
>It helped a lot that you didn't have the "Fluffy elf-syndrome"
>as Lyrestion put it. It also helped that you didn't preach,
>indeed, you let Throkk do his own thing, so I couldn't really
>see any reason
>to stir up #### just for the sake of it.

I did preach, but I kept it muted. I suggested to those around me to prioritize their targets and not blow the ambush just because some stupid paladin wants to stick his neck into the Outlander noose looking for the Scion or Imperial we were hunting.

>I was dead-tired when you age-died, so I just wanted to quit
>out, but thank you for what appeared to be some hesistant
>acknowledgement

I meant no slight to the younger Outlanders, but I seldom got to see any of you in action. What I did want to comment but forgot was your "Little Claw" rp. I loved that way you had of addressing me, for although it might have started as an insult, it became something of an endearing pseudonym that acknowledged that "working professionalism" you mentioned earlier. Your cabaltalk in general made a strong impression on me.

>Good luck with the next, but take an easier road, man. You
>have earned it twice over.
>

Nothing good is easy, but if we are lucky we will all have fun.

Linaeren (Guest)Mon 17-Sep-07 10:10 AM

#61705, "RE: Outlander goodbyes"
In response to Reply #4

Linaeren – My age death will probably prolong your life, for I witnessed you die way so many times I could not help but wonder why you would slum around with me. I will miss your light-hearted banter, your gung-ho attitude, your love for mischief and your wise and obnoxious treant wife. Thank you for helping me keep interested in this character, for I could not have done it without you.

I wasn't kidding when I said "Who the hell am I going to talk to when you die?". Lyristeon? That leader channel worked out perfectly. Since we couldn't group and pk competently it was a nice substitute for grouptell. I am entirely sad that I won't have Xin to run around and die with now. On the other hand, since I am not dying constantly I have actually taken to prepping again and since your death have bagged a handful of pks I probably otherwise wouldn't have. I'm not kidding, since Xin died its like someone removed a voodoo hex from me and I'm finally whipping some ass again. Running with you did a number on my con but it was completely worth it, although we did enough damage I'm not sure age death will be possible for me, heh. There is already a not too shabby poem written about you and I've dedicated a few of those kills via pray to Xin. I was hoping the treant chat would help boost you back up a little bit that night, because I was feeling exactly like you were but for some reason having a conversation with my treant seemed to turn it around for me and I was hoping it would do the same for you. Having the opportunity to run around with you certainly added many more layers to Lin I wouldn't have probably run into as an imp druid trying to convert you just for the hell of it, I mean if Twist could get you to turn on the no magic surely I could get you to boot that silly jaguar elf, heh. Here's hoping you come back around and play something a little less masochistic.

Djrra (Guest)Mon 17-Sep-07 12:33 PM

#61709, "Dumb, Smug Elf"
In response to Reply #4

I had fun interacting with you and trying to insult you. Even when I talked about you behind your back to others, they stood up for you. You commanded a lot of well-earned respect in the cabal. Your RP was magnificent and I look forward to seeing some of your future ones.

Who were some of your past characters? Or did I miss the posting of that?

Xin (Guest)Mon 17-Sep-07 02:21 PM

#61710, "RE: Dumb, Smug Elf"
In response to Reply #35

I didn't give much thought to your insults because I was smug, I had certainly done my share of dumb things, and the majority of Outlander applicants don't stick around into the hero range or delete soon after. Then I saw you enter my pk range, and I began waiting for the inevitable backrake. Fortunately, the old guy died before you got a chance to see how much blood was in him.

RayihnSat 22-Sep-07 08:34 AM
Member since 08th Oct 2006
1147 posts
#61717, "Must be an imm!"
In response to Reply #36

Obviously, this was Nepenthe. Why else wouldn't he admit to who he was?

Linaeren (Guest)Sat 15-Sep-07 10:53 PM

#61672, "RE: Overview"
In response to Reply #3

I was mulling around the house, getting some things done before I was going to log on. I thought about going to the store to get some things. Me going to the store made me miss your age death. I couldn't ####ing believe it.

I didn't want to like you at first and I wasn't going to, as you probably picked up on by the way I referenced you. But it was just me, you, and Zek and a couple others alternately for so many hundreds of hours. This sucks as a player and is crushing to Lin. I'm sad to see you go even though I knew it had to be coming. Awsome sunwarden. You made dying fun. You made everything fun. I have a lot to say, but I'm short on time, so if I think of anything else I'll just post again. Just wanted to get that out there, very awsome character I'm glad I got to spend so much time with.

Siloreelo (Guest)Sat 15-Sep-07 11:17 PM

#61673, "Execellent character"
In response to Reply #3

Interacted with Xinrithil with two different characters, as allie and foe. I would say, I love this character alot, well played. Xinrithil is a character I would love to have a conversation and roleplay with any moment any time. Thumbs up.

LyristeonSun 16-Sep-07 05:48 AM
Member since 02nd Jan 2004
1282 posts
Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author Click to add this author to your buddy list
#61674, "Awesome job."
In response to Reply #3

From the Outlander immortal perspective, you were the perfect Sunwarden. Consistently good and consistently wild. You stuck to your guns about not using magic and I know that if you had, you would have turned your pk ratio around. Well done on not breaking that, because it was one of the things that really made you stand out and made it easy to hand out the stuff to make your character more fun to play. Leader channel is overpowered.

From Zekaris's standpoint, you died too much. I wanted to force a potion down your throat just to show you that it could help. But, you were a silly elf and I shouldn't care. I was just glad you weren't a fluffy type, because we would have clashed. You definitely made my time as Nightreaver a lot easier to take, because, if you had been the fluffy elf type, you would have padded my rot stat.

All in all, well done and you were definitely one of the most memorable character's of the year. Keep that stuff coming.

Xin (Guest)Sun 16-Sep-07 05:37 PM

#61690, "RE: Awesome job."
In response to Reply #7

>From the Outlander immortal perspective, you were the perfect
>Sunwarden. Consistently good and consistently wild. You
>stuck to your guns about not using magic and I know that if
>you had, you would have turned your pk ratio around. Well
>done on not breaking that, because it was one of the things
>that really made you stand out and made it easy to hand out
>the stuff to make your character more fun to play. Leader
>channel is overpowered.

Thank you for everything. I got a sense that you kept me around for my entertainment value, like when I was starving to death after defeating Kubilak and that charming time when I died to my own insect swarm and called creatures.

>From Zekaris's standpoint, you died too much. I wanted to
>force a potion down your throat just to show you that it could
>help. But, you were a silly elf and I shouldn't care. I was
>just glad you weren't a fluffy type, because we would have
>clashed. You definitely made my time as Nightreaver a lot
>easier to take, because, if you had been the fluffy elf type,
>you would have padded my rot stat.

The most frustrating thing about my role was when some helpful transmuter or invoker started spelling me up and I was required to freak out on them. I kept hoping I could recruit a bard or communer to join Outlander, but none would stick around long enough to help keep me alive. I suspect Zekaris and Linaeren were scaring them off when I wasn't looking.

P.S. It is a sick joke worthy of Lyristeon to give an elf dagger spec a 13 pound dagger. The sicker joke is I died so often it was necessary for me to use it.

LyristeonSun 16-Sep-07 06:21 PM
1282 posts
Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author Click to add this author to your buddy list
#61693, "RE: Awesome job."
In response to Reply #19

All of the leader weapons are that way. I really had nothing to do with that.

Xin (Guest)Sun 16-Sep-07 06:56 PM

#61694, "I know they are. But I have to blame someone, and Lina..."
In response to Reply #22

~

Linaeren (Guest)Mon 17-Sep-07 11:55 PM

#61726, "Don't forget, I did time travel once to create the orc ..."
In response to Reply #23

Its always my fault.

LyristeonTue 18-Sep-07 12:44 AM
1282 posts
#61727, "RE: Don't forget, I did time travel once to create the ..."
In response to Reply #46

I thought I recognized the resemblance.

Xin (Guest)Tue 18-Sep-07 06:18 AM

#61728, "I knew it! Confession is nine-tenths of the law! ~"
In response to Reply #46

~

Folsa (Guest)Sun 16-Sep-07 09:05 AM

#61676, "You'll be missed."
In response to Reply #3

I have to echo Zekaris/Lyristeon's comment in that I'm glad you weren't a "fluffy" goodie.

It was also fun going after you with my other character, who is on the back burner.

Very well done.

Xin (Guest)Sun 16-Sep-07 05:11 PM

#61689, "RE: You'll be missed."
In response to Reply #8

From my limited view, I got the sense you knew what you were doing and were doing it well. It is going to be quite interesting to see how the Tree looks this Fall with the young outlanders growing through the ranks. Good luck!

Xin (Guest)Sun 16-Sep-07 09:20 AM

#61677, "Enemy goodbyes"
In response to Reply #3

Enemies:
In the aftermath of my many fights with you I know I showed that I was all too human, but more often than not I found you to be gracious in victory or defeat and I tried to act in kind. I apologize to all of you whose gear I was slow to sort, but I did not get legendary awareness until the day before I died so I tried to lore everything I had the least question about.

Bear with this doddard as I try to recollect things I had wanted to say but couldn’t in your own death threads.

Xin (Guest)Sun 16-Sep-07 09:23 AM

#61678, "Empire:"
In response to Reply #9

Kharghurln - I didn’t like dying to you as much as Hunsobo, mainly because you weren’t in a position to guard my corpse. The old biddy had a pleasant personality that defied the whole antipaladin stereotype, and it made giving your gear back much easier the few times I was still breathing after.

Hunsobo – To paraphrase Mazer Rockham quoting a historical figure I can’t remember at this ungodly hour, “Your enemy is your best teacher.” I learned quite a great deal about dagger specs while fighting you that wasn’t to be found in the Delakan logs. Hunsobo’s greatest strength however was in his personality—the one time I was able to kill you, I would have wanted to give all those shiny things back just because of your force of persona. Fantastic character, and I hope I can interact with your future characters.

Waserax – This was the best shaman I have seen. You could easily have spent your whole life as Hunsobo’s dispel slave, but you took risks and fought on your own. And by taking risks, I must emphasize that you were not a rot-wielding griefer. Foreshadowing: rot is not a pk commune, it is a pk deterrent that leads to a more boring game.

Ktaar – This was another quality adversary, and as I said in your thread I grew to dislike fighting you in your later years because our fights were no longer a roll of the dice, but the advantage was entirely yours. Your creative use of vanish was superb, and I can only begin to describe the feeling when I knew you were in your favorite stalking spots preparing for martial trance. An assassin in martial trance would outfight me, which royally sucked from my perspective, and your propensity to stalk was why I was either running or in chameleon all the time, neither of which was conducive to roleplay. Although playing a hiding class when none of your enemies have a means of detecting you is fairly easy, you did stick around to fight against numbers and take names. Much respect to your accomplishments.

Dyrin – I lived in a tree, I admit it. In our several fights, you used all the tactics you should have but the RNG loved me, and so your attempts to blind, entwine, and flurry were marginally successful at best. In your latter years it seemed like you were ghost more often than not, but I had attributed that to the overwhelming numbers you valiantly faced and your own stubborn determination. Having been in your shoes, I respect you. If it makes you feel any better, I think I died to Hunsobo or in a group with Hunsobo in it around 30 times. Padding someone’s pk ratio bites.

Eoria – You are probably the person in charge now, and as you feel more confident you will likely begin to take the initiative and start taking names. Whether you are in the leadership or not, a competent bard can have a profound impact on any cabal.

Abby – I hear they are building an addition in the Hamsah guildhall just for you. Go out and mix it up! Bards are awesome, and you will be too.

Seriistian - What happened to you? We had a few great fights, quite close in their outcomes, and then one day you just threw down the globe and I saw mention of you on the Battlefield. That stunk!

Abby (Guest)Sun 16-Sep-07 09:49 AM

#61679, "I'm sorry"
In response to Reply #10

But I admittely dont have chamo so I cant conceal my location to rest/heal or whatever. Or take a breather from all the opposition that would likely to brutally murder me countless times.

DaevrynSun 16-Sep-07 11:52 AM
Member since 13th Feb 2007
11117 posts
#61680, "RE: I'm sorry"
In response to Reply #11

I'd make a bunch of completely true cheap shots in response to this, but I'll save them for your deletion.

Abby (Guest)Sun 16-Sep-07 12:44 PM

#61684, "Just say them?"
In response to Reply #12

In retrospect i dont think i've done anything truley wrong. I also dont think my comment was out of line other than the: I'm going to sit in my guildhall when the opposition is very great and I dont feel like I want to die a second/third time.

LyristeonSun 16-Sep-07 02:40 PM
1282 posts
#61687, "RE: Just say them?"
In response to Reply #15

He who ganks should not complain about ganks that don't happen the way he presents them.

Thuul (Guest)Mon 17-Sep-07 01:01 AM

#61698, "Not everyone is a Shamanman"
In response to Reply #15

This was a character that brought much to the table.

IsildurSun 16-Sep-07 12:13 PM
Member since 04th Mar 2003
5969 posts
#61683, "RE: Empire:"
In response to Reply #10

>Waserax – This was the best shaman I have seen. You could
>easily have spent your whole life as Hunsobo’s dispel slave,
>but you took risks and fought on your own. And by taking
>risks, I must emphasize that you were not a rot-wielding
>griefer. Foreshadowing: rot is not a pk commune, it is a pk
>deterrent that leads to a more boring game.

Thanks for saying that. I actually felt like Waserax was a pretty crappy shaman in the PK department. While I did try to avoid being attached at the hip with Hunsobo, honestly, the majority of my PKs at hero were probably while he was present. It would be interesting to see exact numbers on that, but that's probably beyond the scope of what gets recorded in a PBF.

As for rot, there were two main situations when I used it: first, during raids and retrievals where I was trying to slow folks down or kill someone "by any means necessary" in order to facilitate the raid or retrieval. Second, in fights where I had zero chances of killing my opponent any other way. For instance, I tried rot + damnation once while fighting a fully-wanded Tuamerellen.. From a game-theoretic "fair play" point of view this makes perfect sense. If my opponent insists on creating a situation where he has a decent chance to kill me and I have almost no chance of killing him (without rot), then I have no qualms about using rot and forcing him to wait it out. Hopefully, the next time we fight he won't insist on creating so lop-sided a fight.

Also, I consider kills where a guy gets rotted then dies after running away to not really be "victories". It's only a "win" if you kill the guy in such a way that you gain the opportunity to loot his corpse. Otherwise it's only marginally better than a draw.

I liked Xinrithil, but man...you were suicidal. I felt bad fighting you with Hunsobo. Not just because of the bashing, but because I could faerie you and just repeatedly summon you back whenever you fled. So we tried to avoid situations like that. Sometimes I'd randomly "freeze up" and not summon you back before you were able to exit the area. Now, if you'd been able to use potions, I wouldn't have don that. But the no-potion restriction made it like shooting fish in a barrel.

Ktaar (Guest)Fri 21-Sep-07 10:50 PM

#61833, "RE: Empire:"
In response to Reply #10

>Although playing a hiding class when none of your
>enemies have a means of detecting you is fairly easy, y

HAHA. So true. Looking back, it was easy. So.. to be honest, I could never play the role you did. And although, as an Outlander, I had many, many moments defending solo against 3 enemies (the best Outlander raids to defend against).. I never did it in the manner you did, guns blazing, never surrender, never retreat. Really good job. I had to be extremely wary of you, especially after the first couple experiences where you kicked the living #### out of me after a few rounds passed.

Xin (Guest)Sun 16-Sep-07 03:05 PM

#61688, "Tribunal goodbyes"
In response to Reply #9

Initially I was tempted to list the Tribunal membership under the Empire heading, but during the course of my lifetime the two cabals did seem to grow more distinct and I developed respect for the direction its leadership took it.

Tallanthalas – I loved our roleplay, and I hated seeing you delete. When you left the Spire, I was blathering to everyone I could find to listen about how you had seen how the ideals of the Tribunal sham concealing the corruption within. I was going to use you as part of a PR campaign to incite the good citizens of Galadon to oust these Imperial-appointed governors, but that dream never materialized.

Maethron – Your damn traps were an effective deterrent against counterraiding. Too effective, if you ask me. My strategy became one of trying to bleed you out of your better trap components and the gold it cost to obtain them, which was very painful and bloody for me. I felt bad about attacking you at the giant, but I knew that when the Tribunal regained the Scales they would start logging back in and I would die yet again as I attempted to defend.

Iukulli – Unlike Pissudin, I didn’t feel like fighting your combination alone was hopeless, but I knew it would likely be a very close fight. I liked fighting you for that reason, but in general I hate shapeshifters with air forms because they can ambush from the air, fight a good melee with an alternative form, but then fly off or revert & word if things start to go sour. You were also part of many Xinrithil Death Squads ©, and that combined with your air form made being part of your infrequent deaths memorably poignant.

Izuhlzin – transmuters have disgusting melee for mages, but if I could get in a hurl throat to buy some time to get a few observations in, I felt like I might have a shot at killing you if you stayed around much after that, but I think you managed to slip away every time. You portrayed a convincing snotty drow demeanor that would encourage me to punch you in the face if you spoke to me that way on the street. Good job.

Haebum – My strategy for killing you was always to hurt you enough that should you get away your own servitors would finish the job. Devils and demons are like nuclear power facilities, and they are as happy to melt the face of the summoner as that of the intended victim. I don’t know how you put up with those mob deaths as long as you did, but you will be scary when you get them figured out. As I said before, I admired your willingness to attempt retrieval, as there are way too many people trying to protect their shinies in this game.

Teleon – You never treated me other than I deserved, but for some reason I found myself wanting to dislike you. I think much of this is my own bias against paladins, whom I hold unfairly to a higher standard than warriors, sharing quarters with evil characters. You certainly made retrieving quite impossible. My favorite moment was slaying that orc while you were a room away, and all you did is “Tsk” and wag your finger at me. At times it is really good to be a dagger spec.

Siloreelo – You are doing a great job with your character. Our conversations were dogmatic and forced, but I’m not going to comment further there because I don’t want to reveal that aspect of your role. Interacting with you reminded me of the Wiley Coyote & saint bernard cartoon where the former was trying to kill the sheep and the latter was quite effectively defending them. After fleeing back to the High Road, the two of us would chat and eat before the whistle blew and we both went back to work at the Captain.

Pissudin – You are fantastic!!! Keep rocking! Gnome air/offense shifters are much maligned for good reason, but you perform your job as vindicator without being a murderous tool. We may have called you Pissy, but it is because we pissed ourselves when you caught us with your combo. Great job, and I expect to see remarkable things from you and Siloreelo in the future.

Pissudin (Guest)Sun 16-Sep-07 05:59 PM

#61691, "RE: Tribunal goodbyes"
In response to Reply #17

Great job. We did not have many one against one fights but you did help me lern a bit of the "light" side of the refuge, and tha alone was enough to like you. Of course, Pissudin could not show that he like you... Anyways, I tried to show the respect you desearved, hope you could feel it.

Know that you will be missed in the fields, and i look forward for your next char. Bring another interesting one. And do not be so mean against us poor tribs.

LyristeonSun 16-Sep-07 06:19 PM
1282 posts
#61692, "NOTE: I never called you Pissy."
In response to Reply #20

You will always be Pissboy to me. I have a penny if you have a bucket.

Tallanalas (Guest)Mon 17-Sep-07 12:50 AM

#61696, "I love this character through and through."
In response to Reply #17

I loved you as Tal, Ahote and Thuul.

I often wondered what people thought about Tal, an ex tribunal helping you hero. Something happened to Tal OOC that I can't recall that made me delete him but my fights and friendship with you were good CF moments.

As Vallas I had hoped to bring up something of Tallanalas, including mimicing his rise and "Involuntary resignaton." I deleted him early though, mostly because I lost the feeling of the char after a deployment.

I rolled up Ahote in large part because I was so impressed by you. I had never had an Outlander before and some of whatyou revealed to me made me wonder what their powers actually were.

Nothing like a charge set with a Mino wielding iron either. I took the Anti-Maladict legacy with him and wanted to fight you more with it and trapping. But well... I got #### canned and all.

Xin (Guest)Mon 17-Sep-07 07:29 PM

#61723, "RE: I love this character through and through."
In response to Reply #25

>I loved you as Tal, Ahote and Thuul.
>
>I often wondered what people thought about Tal, an ex tribunal
>helping you hero. Something happened to Tal OOC that I can't
>recall that made me delete him but my fights and friendship
>with you were good CF moments.
>
I took perverse pleasure on the mount that day when I told Halistanis you left the Tribunal because of me. It was, of course, a lie, but you had left Tribunal, I wanted to convert you, and I didn't want my long-awaited chance to finally hit hero interrupted. It can be so handy being allowed to fib.

>I rolled up Ahote in large part because I was so impressed by
>you. I had never had an Outlander before and some of whatyou
>revealed to me made me wonder what their powers actually
>were.
>
That you created a character to interact with me is flattering. I wasn't sure what to make of that Apache who had come to pitch a tent under the Huntress, but it was a role I hadn't seen before and you were killing the right people so I wasn't about to say anything.

>Nothing like a charge set with a Mino wielding iron either. I
>took the Anti-Maladict legacy with him and wanted to fight you
>more with it and trapping. But well... I got #### canned and
>all.
>
Now this is the type of reaction I'm more accustomed to, people creating characters with the express purpose of killing me. Your iron-enhanced polearm and no damage reduction for me meant for lopsided first fight. I was quite surprised in our second battle I was able to make you run, even if it was only for you to go eat pills and quaff protections. I wasn't able to find you in the surrounding areas, so I will lie to everyone and say you ran away.

Don't tell anyone.

Pro (Guest)Tue 18-Sep-07 12:53 PM

#61735, "Didn't make Thuul to fight you."
In response to Reply #44

But he was set up to do so.

You made me drop because I poisoned myself with bad water. =P

Maethron (Guest)Mon 17-Sep-07 07:04 AM

#61703, "RE: Tribunal goodbyes"
In response to Reply #17

>Maethron – Your damn traps were an effective deterrent against
>counterraiding. Too effective, if you ask me. My strategy
>became one of trying to bleed you out of your better trap
>components and the gold it cost to obtain them, which was very
>painful and bloody for me. I felt bad about attacking you at
>the giant, but I knew that when the Tribunal regained the
>Scales they would start logging back in and I would die yet
>again as I attempted to defend.

This only reason for this is because I can stack traps by the Captain since I know that you have to enter that room. That is all I could do as a trapper. At least until they lower tick count for setting traps.

Maethron (Guest)Mon 17-Sep-07 07:08 AM

#61704, "RE: Tribunal goodbyes"
In response to Reply #30

And oh, gold isn't really an issue as a Tribunal or a thief. Most of the good ingredients don't even cost that much or pretty much found. Like that ingredient that would enfeeble you.

Thuul (Guest)Mon 17-Sep-07 12:54 AM

#61697, "You were just class. n/t"
In response to Reply #9

Yep.

Xin (Guest)Mon 17-Sep-07 10:09 PM

#61724, "Scions, “might-as-well-be Scions” and the Bink."
In response to Reply #9

Yes Bink, you merit the distinction of mention in a category heading. My best bud and evil-minded mentor Lin was always preaching I should strike first and ask about the balance later, but my relations with Zesam, Tumarellan, and Vhaile were pretty open about whether I should avoid them or look to them for assistance. So when you attacked me unforewarned that one time by Hamsah, from there on I marked you as a hostile windbag who needed a lung perforated. I bled you a few times to no effect, but I did love the cat-and-mouse I had with you. How ironic that so shortly after you escaped me that last time, I died my final death. "Oh come now, Yrillbink. We both know you are too slippery for me to kill." I loved your character all the same.

Zesam and Tumarellen - You two struck me as the first two real leaders of this cabal, with a clearly defined notion of how they might assist the underdogs in a balance. Zesam chose to work behind the scenes where Tumarellen would actually offer to aid me in retrieving against the Empire or Tribunal. It was with Zesam that I started addressing healers and druids as Holy One, as I refused to use anyone’s title and and the Shooloo took offense when I refused to play the “artist formerly known as Prince” roleplay. A fun role that kept me offbalance. Loverly!

Vhaile – I thought you were quality. You kept me aware when the balance was tipping against me, and your open challenge instead of smile and backstab approach to keeping the balance commanded respect. After our one duel I had no desire to fight such a wonderful character, and if I could have I would have built a longterm friendship with you.

Drezen – When we were both unprepared and you wielded flails, I was not the least bit concerned. Let Drezen try to strip or blind, for if he misses I have a good chance of putting the hurt on him, and if he entwines me the nightwalker won’t be able to rescue him out. You were the first character I had fought with the disarm legacy, and it worked much better than I had heard and took me by complete surprise the first time we fought. Prepared, you were a demon I would have been wise to avoid whether I was prepared or not. You made raiding the Spirit look way too easy, which says a lot of your character’s strength. Good job.

Laviter – Back when hurl throat was deemed buggy, I felt I had an even chance to beat you, but when it was fixed I was lunchmeat. You had better hitpoints, superior protection, and far, far more damage output than I could produce. I played around with protections, but even a 4 path invoker can quickly find a way around them or tear through another invoker’s shields.

Isspyn & Golhyrr – You are not the same character, but you presented the same problem to me. Every dagger specialist I fought tore me apart; the envenomed dagger was specifically meant for killing unprepped elves wielding 13 pound weapons and who can’t run to a healer and spam heal heal. Woe to high elven Villagers without the Head and an empty bank account! I suspect that even had I tried to fight either of you under optimal conditions I would have died. You both seemed more than competent.

Rettis – I didn’t get a feel for your character, as it seemed like you were always trailing along as someone’s haste monkey and neuro spammer. Transmuters didn’t scare me in one on one fights, but your ability to scout and augment your allies made you a threat.

Runaktla – No, I never met you, but I got a chance to see many of your writings with this character and I was very impressed! Great work!

Aomiern - I don't know if your PBF would bear it out, but tactically I thought you were the best shapeshifter I have ever fought in my years playing CF. Excellent, excellent character and a very difficult fight for me.

Victoria & Ravon – I have strategies for dealing with fireballs and iceballs, but lashes of the slave is a sick combination of a fire giant flurry with disarm and bard maladicts and other goodies. I have yet to figure out how to fight that skill as an elf dagger specialist. Victoria I have a high regard for, as I saw you running around solo often and seemed to be less inclined to log off after grabbing a kill or facing bad odds. Both of you are impressive.

Nuloh – I should have mentioned you in the Tribunal section, but I forgot until I hit the AP category. If I could stop you from spamming fireball and iceball, I didn’t mind fighting you. If you had the use of your voice, I might as well take my ball and go home. You are the only AP I recall using faceslash or crippling strike against me, the former quite effectively. I also see you as a pioneer in the human AP field, which is great to see too.

Satebos – I enjoyed fighting you when I could find you, but if I could have taken away your little toy that allowed you to get away all those times I would have given Lin’s right arm to do so. Our last fight on the sea was a great surprise! Stay innovative, and pray that when someone else finds you near Tir Tilath they too don’t notice you are sleeping. I was so angry at myself! Good foe.

Lechlerr – After my utter humiliation in our duel, the last thing I wanted to do was fight you again without magic. Ugh. One thing I hated about both you and Satebos was that as free agents, I could not force you to defend or retrieve, which made dictating the terms of a fight with you very difficult. Assuming they are posted at your death, I look forward to reading your PBF and logs.

Orcs – I loved you all, lately Smuerlk whom I saw on during the hours where Fortress was raping and pillaging anything that moved. It helped that I had a build that could stand up to your hordes, and evade and my edges made it possible to survive the sick damage you animals could crank out with savage feeding and hack, but each chieftain I fought solo was gracious in victory or defeat. My only gripe regarding orcs was when someone else raided the Tree and then gave the Fetish to a lowbie orc because their forces could keep out the Outlander heroes, but Tremblefist was way too much for the younger retrievers that can have easily retrieved from any other cabal. Boo and hiss to those Scions who pulled that stunt.

Lechlerr (Guest)Mon 17-Sep-07 05:01 AM

#61700, "Thanks for the fight that one time"
In response to Reply #3

I figured both of could use some action at that late hour.

Now what you said about me eating all those pills makes sense. Good stuff, and way to stick it the heck out, man.

KastellynMon 17-Sep-07 10:39 AM
Member since 04th Mar 2003
864 posts
#61707, "Fabulous Character"
In response to Reply #3

You'd have thought I would have read your role at some point, and discovered your aversion to magic, but alas, I never did. That might have changed Khar's strategy when fighting you - but probably not. What it does do is increase my respect for your character a great deal. Giving up magic as a non-Battle character is a huge handicap, and you played through it really well.

Your RP was always top notch, and you really came into your own from a PK perspective as your character aged. Great example of what longevity can do for a character.

You'll definitely make my 2007 top five list; all around great, great character.

Kastellyn the Devourer of Magic, Lord of Legends

*** Email me your testimonials or two-line blurbs. Help our marketing efforts! ***

Xin (Guest)Mon 17-Sep-07 07:07 PM

#61721, "RE: Fabulous Character"
In response to Reply #33

>You'd have thought I would have read your role at some point,
>and discovered your aversion to magic, but alas, I never did.
>That might have changed Khar's strategy when fighting you -
>but probably not. What it does do is increase my respect for
>your character a great deal. Giving up magic as a non-Battle
>character is a huge handicap, and you played through it really
>well.
>
In many ways I could have just as easily been a sphere Fate, for when I went into battle it was with the knowledge that winning the fight would be a spin of the roulette wheel. Even against orcs and duergars, against whom I had better than average success, the sheer damage they could put out if they did hit me with a savage feeding or a flurry could easily turn the tide in a single round.

>Your RP was always top notch, and you really came into your
>own from a PK perspective as your character aged. Great
>example of what longevity can do for a character.
>
Finally being able to quaff a protection and wield a magic dagger of light helped a ton, too. Trying to be self-sufficient in a properly Outlander fashion largely meant I was reluctant to ask for help getting gear or retrieving, but getting decent gear solo would have been far easier if I'd had a different character build.

>You'll definitely make my 2007 top five list; all around
>great, great character.
>
That is high praise coming from someone who played a character I liked as much as Khar! Thank you!

Rawanj (Guest)Mon 17-Sep-07 06:58 PM

#61720, "Having stxt"
In response to Reply #3

Having had the pleasure of interacting with you on many different levels, and with a current, I was always, always, always impressed. You were a class act and I enjoyed every moment I spent with Xin.

Xin (Guest)Mon 17-Sep-07 07:13 PM

#61722, "RE: Having stxt"
In response to Reply #41

I was so angry at you when you deleted. If any paladin I have seen had the potential of breaking the barrier into Outlander, it would have to be an above-the-law, nature-oriented paladin like Rawanj. You were relentless in your pursuit of evil, and I knew that wherever I went looking for a hunt you were likely already there swinging at our enemies. Great character!

Xin (Guest)Tue 18-Sep-07 09:04 PM

#61741, "Non-enemy goodbyes"
In response to Reply #3

I am not sure who I should put here. There were numerous people I was friendly toward and who reciprocated, but I did not cultivate as many deep meaningful friendships as I would have liked to because I was either hidden or in motion. So instead, let me mention people who touched my character in some way.

Niheriva - "Paladins are overpowered. You abandon your friends because of that item. Defiance should be made into a place setting. You work with others to kill Imperials. You are patting the backs of non-evil Outlanders instead of slaying them. You and that Sunwarden communicated." To hear so many detractors, Niheriva, you must be doing a terrible job or you must be a wonderful captain. I am inclined to think the latter. What others might assume was that I warned you of Outlanders when you were standing in the Weald or even defended you from Lin, Throkk, Ney, Baeirae and the rest of the Refuge crew. The Ancients did not require I hunt Niheriva, and he does not stand in the Weald because he is a weak fool. Keep doing what you do.

Niela - I really liked your willingness to jump into the thick of things with me or help me out after I had taken a beating. You I considered an ally, and had we interacted more, a friend.

Rezmar - You could see chameleon, so we interacted far more. You were a stalwart ally and a good friend.

Vhloughvang - I loved your no nonsense demeanor and wanted to interact with you more, but our lives did not intersect the way I had hoped. The wild highborn and the fiercesome earthbound will rend the stones of the Silent Tower as prophesied in the Songs of Lachlinthrar, and the vows we exchanged will be fulfilled by some future incarnations of we two.

Jichii - I didn't comment on your delete thread, but I loved your revealed role. I was never quite sure if you were drunk or insane, but since your threats never brought you to the point of attacking me, I rolled with it. You were a lot of fun to be around.

Fobrin - I say, old chap, let us to the pub and toss back a barley with our mates! I did not recognise this character as a cut-from-the cloth elf, but I enjoyed the incongruity.

Kanrue - Who the hell were you? You were spotted aiding two different sets of enemies, wouldn't give me a sanctuary when I wanted to go beat on some Imperials, and yet you'd gate in out of nowhere and slap a heal or sanctuary on me when no one was looking. Lin always wanted to make fertilizer out of you, but you were random enough that I found you interesting. It was a shame I could not share my stories with you and a few others who had asked for them, but for whom I could never quite find the time.

Rollinyah - Yeah, babe! We killed him! Booyah! I wish you had never deleted, because I really enjoyed rolling with Rollinyah.

Xin (Guest)Tue 18-Sep-07 09:15 PM

#61742, "Two more friendlies"
In response to Reply #50

Juliana and Lyriana - I wanted more time with both of you.

Juliana was a wildcat who I loved to see in action, and she was constantly on the prowl for something to do. Her logins seemed to consist of raiding, hunting, and a few moments of boredom before she felt compelled to log off.

Lyriana had hinted at a multi-layered and complex character in whom I could have lost myself. You shocked me when you shared a momentary glimpse of one side of you in the Redhorn mountains, and that moment more than your suggestion I write poetry encouraged me to compose that poem. Any life Lyriana touches will be better for the interaction.

Thank you all.

Rolinyah (Guest)Wed 19-Sep-07 05:57 AM

#61752, "Finally gone eh!"
In response to Reply #50

As I've posted in the farewell, Xin is a superb characters that attracts all kinds of characters wanna interact with him. And yeah, he died! But he wasn't wielding swords, else he would have won. So its was more to luck than anything else. Good job with Xin.

Xin (Guest)Wed 19-Sep-07 10:05 PM

#61778, "Commentary on build and code changes during my life"
In response to Reply #3

Chosen Legacies
Striking the Shadows Footfall – created echoes quite fun to watch, but the primary reason for getting it was to prevent people from wimpying out of combat. It did not seem that the 25 int of a high elf created counts any faster than 24 int, but the drows I fought tended to dodge and parry better and largely owned me. They might well have had hasted or quicken, however. There are several ways to deal with an opponent with the Striking legacy. The most frustrating thing was to fight your enemies, see them log off, and then log back on thirty seconds later.

Surrounding the Sunrise – This made fighting orc chieftains, tribunals with guards, and necromancers possible. Conjurers it helped marginally, and against knowledgable players almost not at all.

The four other legacies I mentioned to Siloreelo helped out in quiet ways that would be hard for me to discuss in any appreciable manner, but an astute eye might realise their effects when I put my logs on the board.

Brawling skill in conjunction with Hand specialty
I had the practices to use so after a few hundred hours I decided to practice elbow, knee, kick, and brawling. The brawling-related edges made brawling skills a viable tactic to use in PvM and PvP fights.

Edges
Skilled Brawler and Versatile Pummeler were fantastic for a hand specialist and complemented each other immensely. During ranking, raiding or pk when I wanted to do additional damage but did not want to create undo lag for myself or open myself up to a retaliatory strike for a missed dagger move, I could do a brawling attack and the skilled brawler edge would frequently allow an additional knee or elbow strike. Versatile pummeler throws in a brawling attack on a bad pummel, but with the skilled brawler edge I could get a second knee or elbow, so my bad pummel wasn’t nearly so poor.

After obtaining Parry Anything, Resistant Sight, and Shield Eyes I can count on on one hand the number of times I was blinded in a PvP fight with the exception of Satebos’s orb, which unfailingly blinded me every combat he fled for an annoyingly long time. Like the healing edges, which I did not get because I relied on chameleon and running like a girl, these edges seemed to stack and worked very well together.

Strong Back and Keys to Success were quite worth it. The worst thing about playing a dodge-based warrior is it is hard to keep your weight down and carry a many potions and alternate gear.

The only edge that disappointed me was the Doublt Throw dagger edge, which only worked when wielding two daggers and upped my damage from one injure to two injures. Fortitude of the Flesh did not seem to help appreciably unless I was already gearing for saves and con, but I was unwilling to invite rotting attacks to fully test it. I died to rotting maybe three times, but that was largely due to not knowing lightweight con gear until late in life. Past characters relied on much heavier gear unsuitable for this character.

Outlander Powers
Preservation is a cabal power that should be revisited, for if it were a skill I don’t believe anyone would ever, ever spend a practice on it. The lag is quite high, the 120 mana per use far exceeds the cost of a single fireball, it takes two uses to repair damage to a single room, and preservation does not radiate through an area like fire does. I was never able to repair the damage a Scion did to a room, although some claimed that they had. The healing it does to the Huntress seems negligible, but that is hard to gauge. The only thing I found that I really liked was when I used preservation at the huntress when there was a mob corpse in the room. That was very cool.

The other powers I had were good for what they did and can be quite powerful in conjuction with a fully functional chameleon, although chameleon was a joke when the justiciar, the vindicator, a third tribunal shifter, and two imperial leaders could see through it.

Cabals:Orc Village
Tremblefist should not be able to hold cabal items unless the orc village becomes a cabal.

Class changes
I like what has been done to juice of shapeshifters, but I question whether the ram form should be able to boneshatter more reliably than the mace specialists I fought. I need to study the new shapeshifters, as even unwanded shapeshifters were far more challenging than they were previously.

The changed for concealed and dualwield weapons had a greater impact on combat for me when dealing with mages and assassins than for warriors. In hindsight, when I was beating Ktaar, concealed had not been changed and I was able to use a mace. After concealed had been changed, wielding a mace or two daggers did not matter, for he pretty much owned me. YMMV. I recall killing only one invoker solo with this character, but that was when hurl throat lasted longer than the next tick and I had a mace in my offhand.

KalageadonSat 15-Sep-07 09:04 PM
Member since 23rd Oct 2003
1045 posts
#61669, "RE: (AGE DEATH) [OUTLANDER] Xinrithil the Courageous an..."
In response to Reply #0

It's too bad that I just met you and your gone already. Anyway from the brief conversation we had I thought you seemed like a good fellow I am sure the Outlanders will miss you.

Rezmar (Guest)Mon 24-Sep-07 03:51 PM

#61974, "RE: (AGE DEATH) [OUTLANDER] Xinrithil the Courageous an..."
In response to Reply #2

Had fun with you, Xin....was always good hunting and smart tactics. I liked your style, and will miss Xinrithil and interacting with em. Lookin forward to your next!...Rez.

LyristeonSat 15-Sep-07 05:45 PM
1282 posts
#61668, "The echo you didn't see."
In response to Reply #0

As the last of the wisps of the soul, Xinrithil, are joined with the Jaguar, a tiny blue spark steals a wisp and tosses it at the totem within the tree of ages.

Top General Discussions The Battlefield Topic #61667 Previous topic | Next topic