Subject: "(RAGE DELETE) [SCION] Surauk the Evil King" Previous topic | Next topic
Printer-friendly copy Email this topic to a friend CF Website
Top General Discussions The Battlefield Topic #58173
Show all folders

Death_AngelSun 13-May-07 02:56 PM
Member since 28th Sep 2024
17189 posts
Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author Click to view this author's profile Click to add this author to your buddy list
#58173, "(RAGE DELETE) [SCION] Surauk the Evil King"

Sun May 13 14:55:27 2007

At 6 o'clock PM, Day of Deception, 30th of the Month of the Spring
on the Theran calendar Surauk perished, never to return.

Race:arial
Class:anti-paladin
Level:42
Alignment:Evil
Ethos:Chaotic
Cabal:SCION, the Scions of Eternal Night
Hours:138

Alert | IP Printer Friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Reply RE: (RAGE DELETE) [SCION] Surauk the Evil King, Adobel (Guest), 15-May-07 07:39 AM, #37
Reply Well, that was fun, Torak, 13-May-07 04:10 PM, #1
     Reply RE: Well, that was fun, Daurwyn (Guest), 13-May-07 04:33 PM, #2
     Reply RE: Well, that was fun, Torak, 13-May-07 04:54 PM, #3
          Reply It'd be different if they didn't benefit, Wilhath, 13-May-07 04:58 PM, #4
          Reply I think its worse for the imperial., CraftedD (Guest), 13-May-07 05:04 PM, #5
          Reply Exactly, Torak, 13-May-07 05:05 PM, #6
               Reply That's strange, I used to always group up w/ Empire, Runaktla1 (Guest), 14-May-07 12:35 AM, #13
               Reply I made one of the better outlanders delete? for ranking..., Tehbigc (Guest), 14-May-07 12:07 PM, #28
                    Reply I think the balance you have to end up striking is:, Daevryn, 14-May-07 12:25 PM, #31
                         Reply RE: I think the balance you have to end up striking is:, Valguarnera, 14-May-07 01:02 PM, #32
                              Reply Both of you are right, Tehbigc (Guest), 14-May-07 09:44 PM, #36
                              Reply RE: I think the balance you have to end up striking is:, incognito, 15-May-07 02:32 PM, #39
                              Reply RE: I think the balance you have to end up striking is:, Daevryn, 15-May-07 02:43 PM, #40
                                   Reply RE: I think the balance you have to end up striking is:, Torak, 15-May-07 02:48 PM, #41
                                   Reply If dude doesn't whup me, he isn't overpowered txt, LarcatAnon (Guest), 15-May-07 02:51 PM, #42
                                   Reply By whup, I mean possess my breadz at the end of the fig..., LarcatAnon (Guest), 15-May-07 03:05 PM, #43
                                   Reply I'd agree with that in general., Daevryn, 15-May-07 03:22 PM, #45
                                        Reply Just for the curious, Cyth (Guest), 15-May-07 03:29 PM, #46
                                        Reply RE: Just for the curious, Eskelian, 20-May-07 11:45 PM, #60
                                        Reply RE: I'd agree with that in general., Torak, 15-May-07 05:52 PM, #48
                                        Reply RE: I'd agree with that in general., Isildur, 15-May-07 09:45 PM, #49
                                             Reply RE: I'd agree with that in general., LordSMUG (Guest), 16-May-07 10:59 PM, #54
                                                  Reply RE: I'd agree with that in general., Isildur, 17-May-07 12:10 AM, #55
                                                       Reply I can comment on a few of those...., LarcatAnon (Guest), 17-May-07 09:48 AM, #56
                                                       Reply RE: I can comment on a few of those...., Eskelian, 20-May-07 11:45 PM, #59
                                                       Reply RE: I can comment on a few of those...., Daevryn, 21-May-07 12:22 AM, #62
                                                       Reply RE: I can comment on a few of those...., Eskelian-Lazy (Guest), 21-May-07 02:03 AM, #63
                                   Reply RE: I think the balance you have to end up striking is:, occasional evil (Guest), 15-May-07 03:12 PM, #44
                                        Reply There are exceptions, Daurwyn (Guest), 15-May-07 04:12 PM, #47
                                             Reply RE: There are exceptions, Eskelian, 20-May-07 11:55 PM, #61
                                   Reply RE: I think the balance you have to end up striking is:, incognito, 16-May-07 03:22 PM, #51
                                        Reply RE: I think the balance you have to end up striking is:, Daevryn, 16-May-07 05:30 PM, #52
                              Reply RE: I think the balance you have to end up striking is:, Eskelian, 20-May-07 11:31 PM, #58
               Reply RE: Exactly, Daevryn, 14-May-07 07:43 AM, #19
                    Reply RE: Exactly, Torak, 14-May-07 11:32 AM, #24
          Reply Yup., Valguarnera, 14-May-07 07:47 AM, #20
          Reply Applicants might. Few scions do, Daurwyn (Guest), 13-May-07 05:07 PM, #7
               Reply RE: Applicants might. Few scions do, Vryaeth (Guest), 13-May-07 05:17 PM, #8
               Reply RE: Applicants might. Few scions do, Torak, 13-May-07 05:26 PM, #9
               Reply All I can say is look harda, Guy (Guest), 13-May-07 05:38 PM, #10
               Reply RE: All I can say is look harda, Torak, 13-May-07 06:14 PM, #11
               Reply Shadowy spear! I love it. Plus there are other secrets ..., Tehbigc (Guest), 14-May-07 12:13 PM, #29
               Reply DARE YOU MOCK MY SHOVEL?!! nt, lollers (Guest), 14-May-07 06:34 AM, #18
               Reply I can, incognito, 14-May-07 02:47 AM, #16
                    Reply RE: I can, Torak, 14-May-07 11:47 AM, #26
                         Reply Hey there is a burning spear in kiadana!, Tehbigc (Guest), 14-May-07 12:16 PM, #30
               Reply Are you kidding me?, Morior (Guest), 13-May-07 09:16 PM, #12
     Reply RE: Well, that was fun, Eshval, 14-May-07 01:53 AM, #14
     Reply RE: Well, that was fun, Torak, 14-May-07 02:02 AM, #15
          Reply RE: Well, that was fun, Eshval, 14-May-07 09:48 AM, #23
     Reply I would have to agree on the udgaard quest needed chang..., Abernytee (Guest), 14-May-07 05:36 AM, #17
     Reply Why, if you protect ever elemental vuln, Daurwyn (Guest), 14-May-07 08:07 AM, #21
     Reply RE: Well, that was fun, Daevryn, 14-May-07 08:09 AM, #22
     Reply RE: Well, that was fun, Torak, 14-May-07 11:50 AM, #25
          Reply RE: Well, that was fun, Daevryn, 14-May-07 11:55 AM, #27
          Reply whereupon I chime in..., mcgrok (Guest), 19-May-07 02:15 PM, #57
     Reply Hehum, Haratzi (Guest), 14-May-07 01:08 PM, #33
     Reply RE: Hehum, Torak, 14-May-07 02:03 PM, #34
          Reply RE: Hehum, Haratzi (Guest), 15-May-07 10:05 AM, #38
     Reply This is truly a shame, Mosem (Guest), 14-May-07 06:26 PM, #35
          Reply Transmuter pet?, Daruwalan (Guest), 16-May-07 06:03 AM, #50
               Reply Do not get me wrong., Mosem (Guest), 16-May-07 09:10 PM, #53

Adobel (Guest)Tue 15-May-07 07:39 AM

#58244, "RE: (RAGE DELETE) [SCION] Surauk the Evil King"
In response to Reply #0

From what I saw you seemed to be landing a lot of kill and that is always nice.

Though I most agree with Haratzi that you did beg for help a lot. I know it suck beening at level 40 and have noone to group with (perhaps you shouldn't have killed everyone? ) but well in my mind Scion isn't the clan where everyone is all buddy buddy and helps you out all the time. We have the Fortress for that
So asking me to rank you everytime I logged on got abit on my nerve, I stayed online till 3 am, getting your ass to level 40 since I can really understand that you want iron grip, but just because I help ones doesn't mean I'll do it all the time. =)

Anyway Good char and good luck with your next.

TorakSun 13-May-07 04:02 PM
Member since 15th Feb 2007
1216 posts
Click to send private message to this author Click to view this author's profile Click to add this author to your buddy list
#58175, "Well, that was fun"
In response to Reply #0
Edited on Sun 13-May-07 04:10 PM

Arial AP experiment is over with, and as 2nd anti-paladin I'd say it was more fun than the duergar - I think I did a lot better considering I got a control and such, but we'll see what the Imms say. Just some general comments:

Arial APs are rough, least pre-evade (never got to 43). Vault is awesome for sleeping opponents but bad for normal use (unless someone is getting ganged and you know they'll be there)...someone walks out and you can take DEMO/DEVAS easily. Getting 2 rounded by unspeakable pillar wasn't my idea of fun either, but it happens. Sleep landed a lot more than I thought it would, which was nice. I'd say arial APs are definitely more newbie friendly than the dumber races in some aspects.

Edge feedback:

-Spine of the Akragaka is cool. Essentially you defend like you're wearing a shield (you spin a lot with spears) and you get maybe one extra attack per round. Are you as damaging as a felar? Not close but it made it a lot better. It'd be interesting to see who tanks better, felar with spear vs arial with spear and this edge. Think arial might actually win but I could be wrong since I haven't played a felar ap.

-Steal Inspiration, as the log shows, is pretty crappy. I never stole one bless/warcry/etc despite using it pretty much every time I had an option too in my fights. And it's expensive, so hopefully this gets tuned up. Most likely a pre-edge for Feast though but I never saw that...probably 43+ option only.

-Mudslinger, was awesome when it worked but it's bug boarded now. When everyone's dirt kick became 1 hour and got fixed, it broke this edge to being useless which sucks but it happens.

-Unholy Aura, I know it's cheap but man....huge letdown. Your unholy aura hits Ravon! He had sanctuary, but still...a MUTILATE isn't going to stop anyone from bashing you at all. Most of the time it's not worth the risk with running into smaller things...(and why all the animals in the Talshidar mountains can see invis and 90% of other animals can't, is annoying).

-The iceball/fireball Synergy one - had it's ups and downs. I know it must be increasing the damage on each one, but the damage is still highly variable since they can resist/save/etc. Just to try it, I went to the Vale and hit 10+ feasting elves a few times....it's probably better than normal but it's hard to tell.

-Wise Recovery - a lifesaver for people with little con. Awesome and it's cheap.

-Generally, most AP edges are high-level required which kind of sucks. Considering you have to enter the hero range to even get controls, it'd be nice to get some of the cooler edge options right about then. Dying at 42 though, there probably was a few offered at 43 since that's when you get controls/evade. Wish I had tried out Exploit Hobbling before I deleted, but decided to take Fortitude of the Flesh which is expensive for some reason.

General people comments:

-all the anti-paladins I fought, it was really too easy. Most of them don't work on spears and I defended real well with bloodlust+spine against even the fire-giant axe combo. That and if I got you slept, it was pretty much a done deal. If any AP stands above the others in killing APs, I think it's an arial.

-Queliryon, I still think you got some secret homing device skill because you found me fast in very odd areas....good fights but wish you would have lightened up a bit. You're a powerhouse, there's no need to be an ass also since I actually did fight you.

-Mcgrok/Mosem/Tarashin, you guys rock. I lost count of the times you killed me with deathblow and that insane luck of yours, but it was fun. Learned quite a lot on tactics fighting you guys...btw Mosem, when I died and couldn't flee it's because iceball can drain your own moves if it hits you - I had no idea (side note: why is the Massive giant considered indoors, and no other guardian is?). And you always let me keep most of my gear and my weapon, which was nice. Just wish the rest of the village weren't assholes. And Kudos to you Nathus for not hitting me while fighting Elivhree and not hitting me after I killed her - you definitely deserve your title for that.

-Chancellor/Archmage, I'm going to be honest....I thought you guys were cool until I got ratted out by the Archmage for using an Imperial to level with. Moshacan got leveled by 2 imperials half his life even as a Scion, as the same as this guy. It wasn't common knowledge I was a Scion, and there's nothing wrong in my book with being sneaky to abuse them to rank - please explain what's wrong with using your enemies for your own gain? And sacrificing a 19 charge weapon, my best weapon because I broke some unspoken rule? Thanks for chopping my legs off and making the rest of this character's life a pure struggle to get even 5-6 charges without dying.

-Nexuns, I've always had issues with you guys and I think you got that as I killed Asdur for raiding the Chasm (kudos to Eshval for the divine experience, put a skip in my step for awhile there). How you guys are not hated by every single cabal in the game is beyond me - must be nice to be able to flip/flop killing your friends for the sake of balance based on whose logged in. If the balance shifted like once a week, it'd be nice but based on pure numbers at the moment is retarded.

-Everyone else I fought/killed, it was fun. I did whatever I could to land kills, and pretty much had to considering having 450hps at level 40 base. Being a scion helped but damn, it's rough without preps (still can't find sleek blacks for the life of me). I was ballsy in a lot of times I should have ran, but I had fun and I guess the 10 con shows it (despite multiple trains).

-On weapon choices, finding decent spears is horrible for evils, especially if you can't go underwater. Anything ave25+ is super rare, and anything with elemental damage is out of the question. It'd be nice to see some better options out there.

-It's nice that there's an AP quest in Udgaard, but come on....the reward is for fire giants only. Where's the love for all the non-fire races with this quest? Hopefully this gets looked at.

Feel free to post comments/flames/etc. I'm curious what you think of round two Daevyrn, considering your opinion of Moshacan.

-Torak

Daurwyn (Guest)Sun 13-May-07 04:33 PM

#58177, "RE: Well, that was fun"
In response to Reply #1

Not sure I'd be talking about quests here, but I disagree with you about who it is useful for. It's useful for any char that wants that particular thing.

That said, getting them has always been a curse for me, and I die soon after.

As far as the Imperial thing goes, that's been standard for a long time now, far as I know. Basically being "subtle" is just an easy way to reduce your enemies and increase your allies. It wasn't like the Imperial in this case didn't know you were a scion.

I thought you did very well as an ap though. Not sure I'd have deleted over a 19 charge weapon though. It isn't that significant when you have despoil. Do you reckon it just seems worse because of all the effort you have to put into getting those 19 charges? I do.

For spears, there's the ones in Blingdenstone, on the prison guards. They are not too bad.

TorakSun 13-May-07 04:53 PM
1216 posts
Click to send private message to this author Click to view this author's profile Click to add this author to your buddy list
#58179, "RE: Well, that was fun"
In response to Reply #2
Edited on Sun 13-May-07 04:54 PM

-Eh, it'd be nice if the reward gave something like resist_lightning to an arial AP. Huge difference between just a bonus and covering a vulnerability.

-The 19 charge weapon got sacrificed around hour 90. I didn't delete because of it, by a long shot. It still pissed me off though. Still don't understand why Imperials can't be "used" for this purpose, considering almost every applicant I've seen does it.

-And I said ave 25+ spear....gemstones are 24 I think. Also no elemental damage or even iron/mithril vulnerability on them. If you're looking at options of swords/maces/axes or even daggers, spears don't come up anywhere close. Even polearms have a lot of elemental options. And despite what an Imm said, don't believe the titanium spear exists! It's a myth!

WilhathSun 13-May-07 04:58 PM
Member since 19th May 2003
528 posts
Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author Click to add this author to your buddy list
#58180, "It'd be different if they didn't benefit"
In response to Reply #3

but if you're ranking with them they're ranking with you. It's a mutually beneficial partnership. Unfortunately for you, you don't want to be benefitting the Empire in any way. Ignoring that aspect of your little partnership is what did you in.

CraftedD (Guest)Sun 13-May-07 05:04 PM

#58182, "I think its worse for the imperial."
In response to Reply #4

Scions backstabbed once.. why not set up a situation to torture them again. ESPECIALLY when you are causing them to break a law and get screwed over when its realized.

TorakSun 13-May-07 05:05 PM
1216 posts
#58183, "Exactly"
In response to Reply #5

Especially considering I was using them to get to 36, so I could kill them with a weapon when it meant something

Runaktla1 (Guest)Mon 14-May-07 12:35 AM

#58196, "That's strange, I used to always group up w/ Empire"
In response to Reply #6

Must be a change. Could be if Scion is doing real well they
hammer down on Scions assisting Empires. Scion was absolutely
in the ####ter when Runaktla was part of it.

Otherwise, yeah I got three Imperials demoted after they
figured out they leveled me up a bit

- Runaktla

Tehbigc (Guest)Mon 14-May-07 12:07 PM

#58220, "I made one of the better outlanders delete? for ranking..."
In response to Reply #13

He got the slammer from the outlander imms for that one and he ended up deleting or going uncaballed, I dont remember exactly now. Wasnt too far back. He got some tough tasks set to redeem himself.
Scions have always ranked with enemies. Hell I once ranked with a goodie, grouped around a neutral, as a scion app. I dont see anything wrong with that. Evil are selfish, they will do anything to further themselves. So what if it helps the imperials a bit, you can always go and kill them later when you have what you wanted.

DaevrynMon 14-May-07 12:25 PM
Member since 13th Feb 2007
11117 posts
Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author Click to view this author's profile Click to add this author to your buddy list
#58223, "I think the balance you have to end up striking is:"
In response to Reply #28

Basically, if there are no restrictions on what a Scion should or shouldn't be doing, then from a game balance perspective they shouldn't have cabal powers. Or, alternately, their cabal powers should look more like Herald's (limited/fun but not especially good for murder) than Scion's.

ValguarneraMon 14-May-07 01:02 PM
Member since 04th Mar 2003
6904 posts
Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author Click to add this author to your buddy list
#58224, "RE: I think the balance you have to end up striking is:"
In response to Reply #31

Basically, if there are no restrictions on what a Scion should or shouldn't be doing, then from a game balance perspective they shouldn't have cabal powers. Or, alternately, their cabal powers should look more like Herald's (limited/fun but not especially good for murder) than Scion's.

This also goes for complaining about Scion's leadership being cruel, capricious, and harsh. Scion tends to give more freedom than average as far as what you can do, but the general lack of empathy or mercy when you do screw up is fully intended to be part of that balance.

This is probably worth a longer post, but the Team Quasi-Evil crowd tends to want mechanical parity with good-aligned factions while retaining a theoretical "I'm evil, so it's OK to do anything." strategic/tactical advantage. Request just doesn't measure up to that by a long shot. You see it especially when TQE expects a to-the-letter-and-then-some following of the Paladin Code from all good-aligned enemies.

valguarnera@carrionfields.com

Tehbigc (Guest)Mon 14-May-07 09:44 PM

#58232, "Both of you are right"
In response to Reply #32

Not *all* of my scion apps grouped with imperials. I think Derliaede was a hardcore scion app who did not group with imperials so I got a bit of Muuloc loving there. Taluven again was a hardcore scion app who punched anything anti-scion in the face. Muuloc loving again. Arkaon however grouped freely with outlanders who bitch ranked him up. I did get a fair amount of Eshval loving there. So I guess it goes both ways. Scion has uber powers and I see no reason why repercussions for screw ups wont be harsh. It is HARDCORE-EVIL. You wont get pats on the head and a "better luck next time". Besides with scion slots being limited, and it being the underdog most of the time, it is required that your cabal mates are competent AND virulent.
So well, have a role to back things up.

P.S. A role is exactly what my current char lacks for being the goofball explorer that he is. Baby Cf Jesus is sad

incognitoTue 15-May-07 02:32 PM
4495 posts
Click to add this author to your buddy list
#58262, "RE: I think the balance you have to end up striking is:"
In response to Reply #32

In the case of paladins though, do you not think adherence to the code is what makes -them- balanced?

Taking an example, a group of paladins prepared to gank are overpowered. A solo paladin isn't.

DaevrynTue 15-May-07 02:43 PM
11117 posts
#58265, "RE: I think the balance you have to end up striking is:"
In response to Reply #39

>In the case of paladins though, do you not think adherence to
>the code is what makes -them- balanced?

Eh.

I mean, clearly we're of a mind that there should be some special rewards for paladins who do a good job with their faith/restrictions RP.

I don't know, it depends on what you consider overpowered. I don't think I could ever seriously consider paladins overpowered in PK. They're awesome for levelling, good for exploring, potentially great for raiding and group action, but PK? I mean, can you even name a paladin who hit 100 PKs in their lifetime? I can't. Any other class but healer I probably could.

They definitely make a good group way better, but...

>Taking an example, a group of paladins prepared to gank are
>overpowered. A solo paladin isn't.

I don't so much see 'don't gank' written into the code, FWIW.

TorakTue 15-May-07 02:48 PM
1216 posts
#58266, "RE: I think the balance you have to end up striking is:"
In response to Reply #40

Don't think any paladin hit 100 pks because people run for their lives from them Sure they can't seal the kill easily but I wouldn't base that on lack of being overpowered.

LarcatAnon (Guest)Tue 15-May-07 02:51 PM

#58268, "If dude doesn't whup me, he isn't overpowered txt"
In response to Reply #41

Lariya had 98 pks in her 700 hours, with essentially a *perfect* set up. Run of the mill 300 hour necro can have more than that without doing anything particularly spectacular. Paladin can rack those kills easily in the early/mid 30s, but once other chars start being more survivable, it changes. Sure it is *doable*, but it requires the right combination of virtues, the right gear not being horded by neverdying acolytes, etc. Moreover, in order to do it you would need to start essentially picking on people you can seal it against as a pally, and that doesn't look particularly good.

LarcatAnon (Guest)Tue 15-May-07 03:05 PM

#58269, "By whup, I mean possess my breadz at the end of the fig..."
In response to Reply #42

nt

DaevrynTue 15-May-07 03:22 PM
11117 posts
#58272, "I'd agree with that in general."
In response to Reply #42

Acolytes who never die with good gear never bother me so much as good characters who don't fight ANYone or good characters that I can't figure out why they picked the good alignment, yet never quite are bad enough about it that I feel compelled to make them neutral.

But yeah, I think any of the better paladin players could take a run at 100 kills on one paladin without having to be too super-gangy or exploitative about it, but it's saying something that you'd really need to get one of the better players to take a crack at it and play a character for a decently long while to see it happen. Conversely, with half a dozen or more other classes you don't even have to think hard to point out people who cracked that number. Even the much-maligned evil conjurer!

Torak: What you're saying might make sense, if those same paladins that you're hauling ass away from weren't also dying a ton to people who aren't you. Generally, they are.

Cyth (Guest)Tue 15-May-07 03:29 PM

#58273, "Just for the curious"
In response to Reply #45

Only Paladin I could find in the battlefields was Lariya, who came close to the number 100, but finished with around 90 kills.

EskelianSun 20-May-07 11:45 PM
2023 posts
#58373, "RE: Just for the curious"
In response to Reply #46

Jugrudai(sp?) would've easily outdone 100 if he didn't delete early.

Damn that guy was buff.

TorakTue 15-May-07 05:52 PM
1216 posts
#58277, "RE: I'd agree with that in general."
In response to Reply #45

I wasn't making any comments about paladins I've fought....hell I dont think I even fought a paladin as Surauk. I was making comments about the Fortress paladin heroes atm.

IsildurTue 15-May-07 09:45 PM
5969 posts
#58278, "RE: I'd agree with that in general."
In response to Reply #45

Thing with paladins is that there are a few pieces of gear (and/or tats) that give them a pretty sizeable boost. Perhaps moreso than other classes. What tempers this is that all extent paladin characters have to share certain pieces of this gear, and they typically can't kill each other.

They (along with most other good-aligned characters) also tend not to hunt neutrals, so they arguably have a smaller pool of people to potentially kill. That doesn't mean they're not still beastly when fighting someone insider their pool of acceptable enemies, but it does mean their overall kill total will be lower simply by virtue of having less available targets.

Imagine a Karel-played paladin with his choice of gear (within reason), two PK-oriented virtues, the tat of his choice (within reason), and a role that forbids any sort of mercy toward evils. I'm thinking he could get 100 kills easy.

LordSMUG (Guest)Wed 16-May-07 10:59 PM

#58302, "RE: I'd agree with that in general."
In response to Reply #49

A hero paladin can never solo kill another elite player (*). Sure they could beat them up a lot, and consistently, but they should never be able to land the kill on an elite player. This means that the 100 kills that people dream of would be bottom feeding.

(*) For anyone responding with "But I've been solo killed by a hero paladin" -> You are not an elite player. For anyone responding with "But I solo killed so-and-so with my hero paladin" -> They are either not elite or they were link dead.

IsildurThu 17-May-07 12:10 AM
5969 posts
#58305, "RE: I'd agree with that in general."
In response to Reply #54

>A hero paladin can never solo kill another elite player...

Disagree. The spirit of what you said is true, but there are edge cases where it could happen.

Judging by PBFs there's no way to know if a character's death was to a solo or even hero paladin. That said, here are the "paladin death counts" from some recent characters who were "above average to 'very' above average":

Issabeaux: 0 p.d.
Nuloh: 1 p.d.
Kanaev: 2 p.d.
Taelina: 0 p.d.
Taqutin: 2 p.d.
Draktel: 2 p.d.
Krynna: 0 p.d.
Nysrogh: 0 p.d.
Nreisshe: 0 p.d.
Gistle: 0 p.d.
Skiltore: 1 p.d.
Robizar: 0 p.d.
Vens: 1 p.d.
Cabdru: 0 p.d.
Greddarh: 1 p.d.
Grunlath: 6 p.d.
Dulmisa: 3 p.d.
Bundeltorf: 0 p.d.

LarcatAnon (Guest)Thu 17-May-07 09:48 AM

#58313, "I can comment on a few of those...."
In response to Reply #55

I killed Kanaev twice, once 3 v 1, once 2 v 1.

I was with a Paladin who killed Dulmisa, who was infact, link dead.

EskelianSun 20-May-07 11:45 PM
2023 posts
#58372, "RE: I can comment on a few of those...."
In response to Reply #56

I took out Dulmisa once. I also killed Isk (Jhyrbian). Both with 2h ded paladins. I'm not even very good, btw, I've never had defiance or any of the trimmings of an 'uber paladin'.

I think the biggest difference, really, between your typical paladin and your typical imperial/scion is the quality of your gang-buddies. If I wasn't sphere honor on Beltantis, was decked, and has a bash-bitch, I'd easily out-pk my shaman.

Difference was with my shaman I cherry picked PK's at rank 40 and had some seriously awesome people to raid with.

DaevrynMon 21-May-07 12:22 AM
11117 posts
#58375, "RE: I can comment on a few of those...."
In response to Reply #59

>If I wasn't sphere honor on Beltantis, was
>decked, and has a bash-bitch, I'd easily out-pk my shaman.

You know, I've heard this line of speculation a bunch of times, and I even agree with it up to a point, and yet...

We actually have to speculate.

Whereas we've had bunches of good-align warriors with 100+ kills, bunches of shamans with 100+ kills, etc. etc.... we'd never speculate about whether or not we thought someone could do it or under what circumstances. A-P, the class that apparently has to run in fear from overpowered paladins (according to some of the folks in this thread)? ####, that isn't even interesting to talk about whether or not they could do it. It's been done to death.

Probably, paladins aren't the sickly overpowered class that no one dare face.

Eskelian-Lazy (Guest)Mon 21-May-07 02:03 AM

#58379, "RE: I can comment on a few of those...."
In response to Reply #62

I'm inclined to think this has more to do with the paladin's code than anything. Additionally, how many non-sylvan goodie shamans with 100+ pks have there really been? 1? 2?

Warriors are a no brainer, there's about 70x as many warriors at any given time than paladins. And they get bash.

For the most part I *won* 90+% of every fight I went into as a 2h with temperance. I just didn't always land the kill. It'd seem blatantly obvious that if you mixed a skilled neuro abuser or basher with that, you'd consequently have a lot more dead people.

occasional evil (Guest)Tue 15-May-07 03:12 PM

#58271, "RE: I think the balance you have to end up striking is:"
In response to Reply #41

I actually like fighting paladins especially shield pallys, without any real ability to lag, if it is a 1v1, you should only die if you are not careful or unlucky.

Daurwyn (Guest)Tue 15-May-07 04:12 PM

#58275, "There are exceptions"
In response to Reply #44

For example, at least one can prevent you fleeing sometimes.

EskelianSun 20-May-07 11:55 PM
2023 posts
#58374, "RE: There are exceptions"
In response to Reply #47

I'm sure the good outweighs the bad, but I think if that paladin were 2h they'd get owned a lot more due to that little trinket. Even as a shield ded, it seems like there could be some huge downsides to that power if exploited properly.

incognitoWed 16-May-07 03:22 PM
4495 posts
#58297, "RE: I think the balance you have to end up striking is:"
In response to Reply #40

To me, it seems that paladins are uber offense, uber defense, bit crap utility, for which I include lag, for this discussion.

Ultimately the paladins' lack of lag abilitiy is the equalising factor, in my eyes.

When paladins start to gang, this goes out the window and you have sheer overpoweredness.

Equally, when paladins refuse to fight one on one (under any circumstances that are remotely even) in case they lose their gear, I'd suggest a problem exists, balance-wise.

To take an extreme example, I think when a paladin asks you to group, then runs you until your movesrun out, then kills you, you can legitimately suggest that they are ignoring the balancing restrictions that regulate the class.

Personally, I've thought paladins have been under-regulated for a long time, and rather than put this down to TE bitching, you can trace my posts back to when I was actually playing a paladin and bitching about how paladins on my side completely ignored the code in order to get good gear etc.

DaevrynWed 16-May-07 05:30 PM
11117 posts
#58298, "RE: I think the balance you have to end up striking is:"
In response to Reply #51

Huh. I don't think I'd really even rate paladins as 'good' on offense. I mean, relative to other characters who can absorb a similar amount of punishment, sure.

Granted, I mentally factor lag, maledictory, and other kill-sealing abilities as part of offense, but still. I've played successful paladins and my feeling has generally been that I could rack up kills faster as almost anything else but healer, and I'm not as afraid of a gang of three shield paladins as I am a gang of three invokers, or three necromancer, or three A-Ps, or three berserkers, or three warriors, or three thieves (assuming I can't see hidden), or three druids, etc.

EskelianSun 20-May-07 11:31 PM
2023 posts
#58371, "RE: I think the balance you have to end up striking is:"
In response to Reply #32

As it is you're expected to defend in situations that are suicidal. That's asking a lot for an evil person, if you actually do believe in people being evil.

I think the 'quasi evil' stuff tends to come from the imms more than the players. Why would I defend in a stupid scenario, or go retrieve when I know I can't hold it as an evil? If anything, as an evil, I should realize that'd be dumb, wouldn't benefit me in the long run, and would make myself look even more weak to the Ccul'gra.

I mean, what good is dying at the feet of your enemy *AND* losing the Sceptre? Infinitely worse than just losing the Sceptre, because it also makes you look like you can't tell when its an unwinnable fight.

Just my 2 cents. I like the idea of being forced to be strong and having accountability for failures, but I'd also like to be given the opportunity to flex my evil, selfish RP. "Team evil" to me is not grouping with Imperials because your cabal is supposed to dislike them. Truly evil to me would be doing that, but being expected to kill them in the future or be made to suffer for it.

DaevrynMon 14-May-07 07:43 AM
11117 posts
#58208, "RE: Exactly"
In response to Reply #6

If that was true, how could you be made to sacrifice your unholy weapon as punishment?

TorakMon 14-May-07 11:32 AM
1216 posts
#58216, "RE: Exactly"
In response to Reply #19

I was using them to get to 36 with Mosh. I was using them to get 40 with Surauk.

ValguarneraMon 14-May-07 07:47 AM
6904 posts
#58209, "Yup."
In response to Reply #4

I don't think this was a 'grand plan' as much as 'I'll just be Team Evil. LOL.'

valguarnera@carrionfields.com

Daurwyn (Guest)Sun 13-May-07 05:07 PM

#58184, "Applicants might. Few scions do"
In response to Reply #3

I can't think of any current scions that I've seen grouped with Imperials.

Applicants might be applicants because they've been spotted being chummy with Imperials. Hence they are not inducted.

At the very least, I think you'd need prior imm approval to do some kind of role where you worked with Imperials in some fashion. Even appearing to work with them would be bad, so if you are trying to bluff them or something, send up a pray first so that the imms know.

Anyway, scion can be tough sometimes. I still remember being booted as Sossaphrin.

Thing about the spear, is you are largely killing them with vault bleeding etc. So does it matter much what the av damage of the spear is as long as it is remotely ok?

I mean, you will be spewing fire at them (from 43), and bleeding them, etc. They shouldn't last too long with that spear wielding edge on top, I wouldn't have thought.

Vryaeth (Guest)Sun 13-May-07 05:17 PM

#58186, "RE: Applicants might. Few scions do"
In response to Reply #7

I dunno, I leveled with a LOT of scion when I knew they were scion, I just played dumb and let them bitch rank me

TorakSun 13-May-07 05:26 PM
1216 posts
#58188, "RE: Applicants might. Few scions do"
In response to Reply #7

Vault damage is highly based on the average of the spear, and the first hit is always a big deal.

Even so, still not a lot of spear options out there. Can't think of one spear I'd take for the Profane Synergy edge.

Guy (Guest)Sun 13-May-07 05:38 PM

#58189, "All I can say is look harda"
In response to Reply #9

The options aren't great BUT they do exist.
Avr 32 spear? Yah.. its out there buddy. It progs some peoples faces clean off too.
Avr 28 light spear with supernice damdice? Yup, exxists, Its iron to boot!
There is alot more but those two are the ones I'd shoot for.

PS Profane synergy?

TorakSun 13-May-07 06:14 PM
1216 posts
#58190, "RE: All I can say is look harda"
In response to Reply #10

Not sure of the average 32, never heard or seen it....I know of an ave 31 but it's heavy as hell. And damage/hit don't matter for an unholy weapon, they get stripped. You're not thinking thunderlance right? That's a polearm.

Unless those are area explore items, I can't ever remember seeing either of those but again I'm quite new to this. (Not counting tridents/underwater items).

Profane Synergy (think it's called that) is an AP edge - if your using a control of the same damage as the weapon, it does more. Aka Flames of Ninaaurm do more damage if you had a weapon that was flaming to begin with.

Tehbigc (Guest)Mon 14-May-07 12:13 PM

#58221, "Shadowy spear! I love it. Plus there are other secrets ..."
In response to Reply #11

Also organia has spears I think. I am not sure if they are antievil though. However the shadowy spear and the organia spears are a bit difficult to get. Not something a 40 arial ap is gonna go get on his own. On the other hand I can think of tons of weaps I can get solo at rank 40 for other weaps axes/daggers/flails/swords/maces/whips which will bypass physical resists.

lollers (Guest)Mon 14-May-07 06:34 AM

#58206, "DARE YOU MOCK MY SHOVEL?!! nt"
In response to Reply #10

nt

incognitoMon 14-May-07 02:47 AM
4495 posts
#58201, "I can"
In response to Reply #9

Lightning javelin or titanium spear. With a lot of charges in, they could be mean.

Also always wondered whether it would be possible to get the burning spear with the boiled leather shield.

TorakMon 14-May-07 11:47 AM
1216 posts
#58218, "RE: I can"
In response to Reply #16

I swear titanium spear doesn't exist, I had it located and looked every day and after reboots for weeks. Never saw it in. It still has a crappy average.

And lightning javelin is underwater and ave24, not 25+. And it's anti evil!

Man, people just don't read

Tehbigc (Guest)Mon 14-May-07 12:16 PM

#58222, "Hey there is a burning spear in kiadana!"
In response to Reply #26

Though you have as much chance of getting it at 40 as a snowflake in an induction furnace.

Morior (Guest)Sun 13-May-07 09:16 PM

#58194, "Are you kidding me?"
In response to Reply #7

I've met more than a few Scion who ranked with Imperials at some point in their lives (not sure if this is before/after induction, but I'm pretty sure at least some of it was after).

I don't see why anyone should care IC if a Scion chooses to rank with an Imperial (or vice versa) as long as the Scion is willing to kill him when he feels its appropriate.

You see Imperials selling out other Imperials to Scions all the time, and I've seen similar behavior from Scions offering me money or assistance to kill their brethren.

However, I can definitely see a situation where someone (perhaps an applicant) would rat you out to an authority figure for acting chummily with an Imperial. That authority figure, if he didn't like you, would have a perfectly valid excuse to #### with you and/or punish you. That would be perfectly normal for Scion politics.

So I suppose one could read it two ways: if the situation was OOC opinion of someone "Oh Scions should never level with Imperials" or if the situation was "As an authority figure, I'm going to use this flimsy pretext as an excuse to screw with someone I don't like ICly."

I personally think the second way is cool and the first way isn't. But hey, thats just me.

EshvalMon 14-May-07 01:53 AM
Member since 22nd Aug 2004
519 posts
#58199, "RE: Well, that was fun"
In response to Reply #1

While I wasn't the one who 'ratted you out' (a pretty old phrase for one so young), I have come down on Scions in the past. Your comment makes me step back and take a look at the situation, and I could see how it could work in playing off others to get what you want or desire. I do think there would have to be some role entries if you followed that type of behavior and as you add new lackies, you could note them in your role.

If it benefited Scion and didn't make a bunch of strong opposing cabal members, I could see it happen...if well-played. Without the role stuff, you would likely get smacked since no one can read your mind to learn what you are doing. Did I mention good uses for a role?

Anyway...you had your moments, I caught one or two and you heard about it/them.

eshval@carrionfields.com

A whole new day, a whole new set of possibilities. - MacGyver

TorakMon 14-May-07 02:02 AM
1216 posts
#58200, "RE: Well, that was fun"
In response to Reply #14

Well I can't exactly go into detail since it's about characters that haven't deleted, but it was well-known to most scions the position of said Imperial. Didn't think role entries were meant for lists of that kind, although I guess it's a good thing for Immortals who miss the discussions of Scions. I did write a note about it in the end though.

Still think destroying a 19 charge weapon is overkill.

And who said I'm young I'm married....I'm only young in CF, not in real life.

EshvalMon 14-May-07 09:48 AM
Member since 22nd Aug 2004
519 posts
#58215, "RE: Well, that was fun"
In response to Reply #15

That's the problem with being an immortal, we can only 'spot check' folks. If we aren't available 24/7 and snooping 50+ characters at a time...we miss stuff.

It isn't necessary to make a list of your lackies, rather you could write a brief chapter and note who you 'own'. Additional chapters could address the circumstances of each addition...a couple minutes work to save lots of pain.

Yep, young.

eshval@carrionfields.com

A whole new day, a whole new set of possibilities. - MacGyver

Abernytee (Guest)Mon 14-May-07 05:36 AM

#58205, "I would have to agree on the udgaard quest needed chang..."
In response to Reply #1

The quest is a great bonus to a fire AP but it might be nice to have the quest reward fit every race with an elemental vulnerability and random for those that don't so it can be useful for everyone.

-----Abernyte

Daurwyn (Guest)Mon 14-May-07 08:07 AM

#58211, "Why, if you protect ever elemental vuln"
In response to Reply #17

Why would you not let drow/half-drow/half-elf have resist metal from it?

To me, those bracers are still useful. Just not as useful as having two nicer bracers.

DaevrynMon 14-May-07 08:09 AM
11117 posts
#58212, "RE: Well, that was fun"
In response to Reply #1

>-Mudslinger, was awesome when it worked but it's bug boarded
>now. When everyone's dirt kick became 1 hour and got fixed, it
>broke this edge to being useless which sucks but it happens.

It went from working all the time (buggy), to working for everyone in most cases (more buggy) to working sometimes but not always like it was supposed to (correct).

>-Unholy Aura, I know it's cheap but man....huge letdown. Your
>unholy aura hits Ravon! He had sanctuary, but still...a
>MUTILATE isn't going to stop anyone from bashing you at all.

That's true. In some situations, maybe it adds up. I wouldn't use aura of despair for that alone, but maybe it makes aura of despair a more attractive option in some situations where it'd otherwise be worth using.

>-The iceball/fireball Synergy one - had it's ups and downs. I
>know it must be increasing the damage on each one, but the
>damage is still highly variable since they can
>resist/save/etc. Just to try it, I went to the Vale and hit
>10+ feasting elves a few times....it's probably better than
>normal but it's hard to tell.

I don't think the edge counts super low level mook targets like that.

Incidentally, I think the weapon you were forced to sacrifice was more like 10 charges than 19, but I was only half paying attention.

>Feel free to post comments/flames/etc. I'm curious what you
>think of round two Daevyrn, considering your opinion of
>Moshacan.

This was a lot better of an effort in a lot of ways. I picked up from your role that you sort of had Daevryn in mind for a god, but didn't really see you at the shrine or praying or anything; that's probably for the best, because you made some choices that were smart play for an A-P but that Daevryn would really disrespect. For example, the time you were like, "I'm basically not going to even try to fight Mcgrok anymore because he's too tough." Smart A-P play to stay away from a guy that outclasses you like that, but equally Daevryn can't respect someone with goals like yours who gives up on fighting the toughest opponents and being king of the mountain like that.

I've said something along these lines over the years to a lot of people: I think you really need to be careful how you interact with other players, especially when they've just killed you. I'm sure in your mind it comes off sardonic or taunting or something, but from the third person view it really comes off as whiny and sometimes incoherent. A good example there is the time you were poisoned by the thief ally you "accidentally(?)" killed and Mcgrok housed you in your moment of weakness.

TorakMon 14-May-07 11:42 AM
1216 posts
#58217, "RE: Well, that was fun"
In response to Reply #22
Edited on Mon 14-May-07 11:50 AM

-So mudslinger only works part of the time? Well that kinda sucks but ok. With evade changes, I kind of liked it never missing more than the double time length....now that it misses, don't think I'd dirt kick much unless I was hoping for it to work on a villager. Even then, 2 rounds against deathblows is asking a lot.

-I also tried synergy iceballs on war-weary giants (summoned 3 of them with a group), don't think it did much there either since Ravon was spamming iceball too and we had close to the same damage (considering I had 4 levels on him).

-It was 19 charges if I remember right, 100hp and 9hit/dam.

-I figured I'd stay away from Imm interaction since it's what pulled me down with Mosh when I figured Marmaanth was gone. That, and I doubt I met the Daevryn standard - and I think Mcgrok took at least 3-4 con from me, which is a valid try And I said I wasn't going to fight him without better preparation (barrier).

-I did accidentally kill him. I vaulted at the elf we were fighting, and it chose him. He died from the bleeding. Nice way to find out vault can hit your teammates while ranking (aka it's useless to rank with). And yeah, being betrayed by a groupmate did piss me off....can't remember exactly what I said, but despite the "tough life of CF" I still think it's being a ####ty human in real life doing that.

I think after that though I stood back and realized how I had reacted and did a lot better from then on.

-About the fix for mudslinger, there a reason my posts on the bugboard never got replied to/fixed? I know it was a global thing at first but I had no idea it was fixed but changed. And what about Steal Inspiration? That intentional?

DaevrynMon 14-May-07 11:55 AM
11117 posts
#58219, "RE: Well, that was fun"
In response to Reply #25

>-So mudslinger only works part of the time?

The extra duration, yes. The helpfile's said this all along.

>Well that kinda
>sucks but ok. With evade changes, I kind of liked it never
>missing more than the double time length....now that it
>misses, don't think I'd dirt kick much unless I was hoping for
>it to work on a villager. Even then, 2 rounds against
>deathblows is asking a lot.

It never was 'never misses', just a bonus. That being said, you aren't going to miss a whole lot with a 25 dex character with a decent dirt kick skill unless other factors are in play, such as trying to dirt an NPC much higher level than you, your dex is reduced, skills/spells/legacies/edges that help defend against dirt kick, etc.

>-It was 19 charges if I remember right, 100hp and 9hit/dam.

I got curious and checked the logs; 10 it is.

>-I did accidentally kill him. I vaulted at the elf we were
>fighting, and it chose him. He died from the bleeding. Nice
>way to find out vault can hit your teammates while ranking
> aka it's useless to rank with). And yeah, being betrayed by a
>groupmate did piss me off....can't remember exactly what I
>said, but despite the "tough life of CF" I still think it's
>being a ####ty human in real life doing that.

Honestly, I don't think it's worse than a lot of things you did to other people. And hey, you're evil, you can do that stuff, but it's hard to say a guy who does a well-RPed stab in the back to someone who killed him (accidentally? Sure, I can buy that. In his shoes I don't think I would have thought it was, for what it's worth.) is worse than (for example) killing the same guy 3 times in 1/2 hour realtime as he unghosts.

mcgrok (Guest)Sat 19-May-07 02:15 PM

#58347, "whereupon I chime in..."
In response to Reply #25

It was two con, at most :p

that being said, you were THE deathblow magnet. while I could barely stop laughing after the third time in a row it happened, I understand if you weren't smiling :>

Haratzi (Guest)Mon 14-May-07 01:08 PM

#58225, "Hehum"
In response to Reply #1

Moshacan and Surauk were very similar characters. They were raking up the kills with a balls to the walls attitude but they could not stop asking for help. Every time I logged on you were asking me for things and favors.

It bothered me. I'd help you gain things if it wasn't for that constant nagging. So if you intend to play another Scion please keep that under a lid.

To be badass (read: Scion) means you're not asking for help. It comes to you or you trade something for it. Especially when you're new and relatively unknown.

Also over CB remember less is more. Be more conservative with what you say.

As far as the issue with the spear goes it was not as much about working with Imperials as going against my expressed will. I know you just missunderstood it and that is why I didn't uninduct you (also your raking up the kills helped). Remember that you're in an evil elite cabal that doesn't tolerate many mistakes.

Anyway, good luck with your next one!

TorakMon 14-May-07 01:58 PM
1216 posts
#58227, "RE: Hehum"
In response to Reply #33
Edited on Mon 14-May-07 02:03 PM

Well the only thing I really asked for help with was getting a good spear, and considering the responses on this forum, they don't really exist without help. Don't worry though, doubt I'll go spears again until some new ones crop up somewhere. That is the only thing I really asked for, and most of the time it was because I was bored out of mind since there's no one to group with and I had killed most of my range (or those that were possible to kill).

Most of the other Scions helped out also, you were the only real one that didn't.

Haratzi (Guest)Tue 15-May-07 10:05 AM

#58253, "RE: Hehum"
In response to Reply #34

Well, I actually gave you some armor. But I suppose that is irrelevant now. From my ap experiments it "felt" like the spear you can buy in the galadon guild boosts the vault bleeding. But I could be wrong.

Mosem (Guest)Mon 14-May-07 06:26 PM

#58230, "This is truly a shame"
In response to Reply #1

I always looked forward to our fights, even going far out of my way to hunt you down. We were most definately evenly matched. (Baring the transmuter pet you had at your disposal.) Arial Anti-Paladins are certainly a force to be reckoned with. Hopefully we will meet again in another life. Nicely done.

Mosem

Daruwalan (Guest)Wed 16-May-07 06:03 AM

#58287, "Transmuter pet?"
In response to Reply #35

From what I remember even the fights where you got even match ups, you lost horribly. The kill count there was village 4, Scion 1. So I dont see what you have to complain about.

Mosem (Guest)Wed 16-May-07 09:10 PM

#58300, "Do not get me wrong."
In response to Reply #50

This was not a flame towards you. You are quite capable. I simply meant that Surauk was a force on his own. What stood out in my mind when writing my initial post was him calling me out to fight him after attacking the giant, showing up to battle him and finding both of you waiting. Nothing against you personally or IC, but his one on one fights with me were, win or lose; in my own opinion, glorious.

Mosem

Top General Discussions The Battlefield Topic #58173 Previous topic | Next topic